Elevators

I think the elevators in Paragon City are so funny.  No matter how tall the building is, each elevator only goes up one floor. Then you have to run to a separate elevator on the same floor to go up to the next level. Someone should call Ottis. 🤣

Edited by Mischief61
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Game Master
4 hours ago, Mischief61 said:

I think the elevators in Paragon City are so funny.  No matter how tall the building is, each elevator only goes up one floor. Then you have to run to a separate elevator on the same floor to go up to the next level. Someone should call Ottis. 🤣

I also find it funny that despite the building being on fire you can still use the lifts. I don't know how it works in America but in the UK if the buildings on fire the lifts ground themselves with the doors open so everyone has to use the stairs.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

All the office buildings were designed by Nemesis so that he could replace the workers with automatons. Hard to notice strange behavior when just working there drives a person crazy.

• Haha 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

3 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

I also find it funny that despite the building being on fire you can still use the lifts. I don't know how it works in America but in the UK if the buildings on fire the lifts ground themselves with the doors open so everyone has to use the stairs.

Similar here. They can be operated manually by fire fighters if there are handicapped people that need to be removed from the building.

• Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Go to lunch head down one elevator, go around twisty turny maze to the other one. Down the elevator head to lunch.  Grab something quick?  

Then back.  Lunch hour almost over, food is cold, and you forgot to grab your coke at the lunch counter.

3 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

I find the elevators in this game to be quite uplifting

I don't know, sometimes they really bring me down.

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

54 minutes ago, Greycat said:

I don't know, sometimes they really bring me down.

No need to bring things down to your level!

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

I get that game mechanics wise this choice had to be made, but the elevator system has been bothering me for years now, maybe the most fantastical element of this whole game.  I'll buy the existence of interdimensional eyeballs over this game's elevators.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

They should be replaced with escalators. Escalator would make more sense.

But then you wouldn't have cool scenes like this.... 

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

• Game Master

The problem is the city reconstruction was put out to tender and the Circle of Thorns won the bid. It's why the doors often lead to wildly different places even though you just came out of it, and when you go into the office it's got a totally different floor plan to the last time you went in. Everything makes sense when you see in six dimensions and are off your face on mystical incense, but it's confusing for the rest of us. The lifts (elevators) are actually connected, but unless you can move freely in the sideways dimensions you can only go up or down one floor and have to find the next one to go further. Technically they are all one lift. But only if you are a thousand year old reincarnated mage.

• Microphone 2

10 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

On a previous job, if the fire alarm goes off, solid doors close off the elevator lobby automatically.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

15 hours ago, Mischief61 said:

It's even weirder than that.

Go stand by an elevator, and look at the panel to call the elevator.  What do you see?  That's right!  That's the panel that should be INSIDE the elevator.  You can see the buttons for the different floors, the emergency stop, the emergency call button and speaker grill.

Does this mean that inside the lift there's just a single call button?

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

8 hours ago, Frostbiter said:

All the office buildings were designed by Nemesis so that he could replace the workers with automatons. Hard to notice strange behavior when just working there drives a person crazy.

Good Sir, the Second floor is for ladies unmentionables while the third floor is for general houswares and linen.  Good day.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

59 minutes ago, High_Beam said:

Good Sir, the Second floor is for ladies unmentionables while the third floor is for general houswares and linen.  Good day.

Mister Positron, are you free?

• Like 1

It's all a security protocol to inconvenience Nemesis.

Though I particularly like the ones where you enter in on the ground floor and descend five levels instead of going up. (It's that or the contractor put the arrow lights in upside down) :P 

8 hours ago, Haijinx said:

Imagine being an office worker in Paragon

Or applying for a job.

"Okay, your appointment is at 3:30, come up to HR and we'll do your interview."

"Sure, how do I get to HR?"

"Hoo-boy. Okay, so, on the first floor, you want to take a left, circle around to a large room that has four hallways out of it. Take the hallway on the right, then take a right when it hits a T-junction. There'll be an elevator at the end of the hall."

"Okay, that's fine, then where?"

"So now you'll be on the second floor. Head down the hallway until it hits another T-junction, and take a left. Follow that one until it hits another T, and take a right. Then up a flight of stairs, past the break room, down a flight of stairs, and around a corner. There'll be another elevator. Take that to the third floor."

"Wait, why not just take the first elevator straight to the third floor...?"

"That's not how elevators work in Paragon. So anyway, now you're on the third floor. Head around the corner to the left, and into a huge open room. You might have to jump over a railing when you first come into it, unless you want to walk down the stairs and across the room, then back up a flight of stairs and over to the stairwell that's just to the right of the door you came in through. Once you get through that doorway, head down the hall, down another flight of stairs, and take a right. HR is the last door on the right."

"...this sounds really insane."

"Yeah, wait 'til you have to talk to Fiscal. They're on the 6th floor..."

"Eek."

Edited by WumpusRat
  • Haha 6
  • Thumbs Up 1

What would happen if they just had one elevator, but instead of going in a linear way through each map, you'd have to check each floor for the thing you need?

I think it would be more frustrating, but what do you think?

• Thumbs Up 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

Reminds me of a large factory for which I did contract IT 2 years back.  There were a few elevators, a lot of stairs, odd halls and rooms, twists and turns, and hazard areas with moving equipment on tracks in the floors.  I remember thinking "If only I could photo this place, it would make an excellent CoH building design".  They did have a few elevators that ran straight up and down, but due to the complexities of the buildings, those elevators didn't all go to uniform floors.  So the cargo elevator, out back, would solely reach several areas within a tower, and share access with the other elevators on the conjoined first 2 floors.  One of the elevators reached a couple of basements the others didn't, and so on. 

47 minutes ago, Herotu said:

What would happen if they just had one elevator, but instead of going in a linear way through each map, you'd have to check each floor for the thing you need?

I think it would be more frustrating, but what do you think?

Or its stuck and you need to run to the stairs.

Or obstructed.  

An alarm has it on lock down..

But Yes I like your idea.

25 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Occasionally I consider putting together some art project where I would build a model of what the building would actually look like from the outside.  Emphasis on occasionally and consider.

How many more LEGOs do you need to move forward?