Is it time to reimagine the Flight Pool?

Scarlet Shocker

On 9/18/2024 at 10:47 AM, PeregrineFalcon said:

The Flight Pool is probably the only travel power pool that I do not want to see the developers touch at all. Ever.

Look at the other pools first. Look at making their attacks worth taking. Please leave the Flight Pool alone. You all just made a weird nonsensicle change to all of the travel pools awhile back, it's fine now. Please don't add another stupid yellow ring combo system to the Flight Pool.

I generally have a violent negative reaction to the use of mutations of "Reimagine"

I have had my say....

• Like 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

53 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

You tell your wife/corpse/victim that all the time (allegedly)

Why can't we tell you?

56 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

You tell your wife/corpse/victim that all the time (allegedly)

Why can't we tell you?

image.gif.85947b2ef8c494ec6f739231e86ac21e.gif

54 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

I generally have a violent negative reaction to the use of mutations of "Reimagine"

I have had my say....

Think of a tune you really really love.

Think of all the different covers of that tune.

Some you will loathe. Some you will shrug and go "meh" and some you will go "WOW!"

That's what reimagine means. It is only negative if you choose to view it that way.

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator but only a fraction of people understand that.

8 hours ago, Snarky said:

When I got the Good vs Evil it came with Jump Pack temp/perma    I learned to use this as a "ghetto afterburner"  You can still do this.  If you hit fly, then activate the jump pack you will go faster.  granted you have to force yourself into a sine wave motion across the map or you will just go up. 

The Jump Pack when running will push Fly Powers to the FlySpeed cap (the Prestige and Temp Fly Powers are already very close to that cap).  Only need to hold whatever key is bound to "forward" to move at that speed.  No need to hold whatever key is bound to "jump".

I now slot either Fly or Mystic Flight with an Extra Slot and put in an Attuned pair of Fly + Fly/SomethingElse from either Breath of the Zephyr or Hypersonic.  That will get my Toon to the FlySpeed cap unless Exemplared a lot.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Think of a tune you really really love.

Think of all the different covers of that tune.

Some you will loathe. Some you will shrug and go "meh" and some you will go "WOW!"

That's what reimagine means. It is only negative if you choose to view it that way.

50+ Years.

Sorry.  No es bueno.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

2 hours ago, Luminara said:

You know, using a toilet might be a little less work.

One of my own cats used a toilet.  Didn't flush though...   And the shelter cats don't have access to the main bathroom, so litter boxes for them.   (And ironically, I use a composting toilet in my home now, but it's peat moss, not litter)

21 hours ago, Biff Pow said:

Add Flight to the Leadership Pool wth Group Fly as its secondary power.

That's kinda interesting. However... does Leadership have any effect on Mastermind's Minions or other's Pets?

If this solution is paired with MM sharing their travel powers with their minions, then it really solves most concerns. (I don't think Con/Dom's really worry as much about Pet movement, since their summons are time cycled anyway... but they WILL complain. Not all complaints are necessary.)

The real question bounces back to what you replace Group Fly with in "Fly" Power Pool if you hit this move. I personally default to the idea of the "Anti-Gravity" bubble that indiscriminately makes all inside it fly unless they are either knocked down by a hostile... or helped by a friendly grounding power of some sort. (I suggested making Air Superiority a dual target option ability like Injection from Medicine.... Help Ally, Hurt Enemy. I also suggested certain powers naturally ground players. Earth Armor sets would have it, Freerunning from Utility Belt could be turned into "Mag Boots", and I am sure people have other handy ideas we could all agree with.) Edit: on further thought, there could be an "Earth Elemental" Power Pool that includes an ability that puts rock beneath a players feet, even if they flying. I don't know what other effects this power would have, but it might make it so the character always counts as being "Grounded" for the purposes of powers that activate differently based on that.

I guess it just comes down to what Floaty Harry used to say...

Flying ain't much of a Hovering, but at the end of the day you can get busy Hovering or you can get busy Flying.

Actually, I still don't know what he's talking about. Maybe his water wings are on too tight.

Edited by FDR's Think Tank
Ideas.

51 minutes ago, FDR's Think Tank said:

However... does Leadership have any effect on Mastermind's Minions or other's Pets?

Yes. Of all the ATs, MMs benefit the most from going into the Leadership pool because Leadership's powers affect everyone on the team. Including pets.

52 minutes ago, FDR's Think Tank said:

If this solution is paired with MM sharing their travel powers with their minions, then it really solves most concerns.

No, it doesn't. Because flight is already covered by the Flight pool and does not fit into the idea of leadership. And if players want a different flight, they also already have the Sorcery pool and the flight temp powers available from day jobs, mission rewards, and the START vendor. So for multiple reasons, Fly has no place in the Leadership pool. Further, Fly as a power still only applies to the character with it. If someone wants their pets to fly, they can take Group Fly. And if they don't want to be affected by Group Fly, they can talk to Null the Gull. Now, if it is possible to not have to go to Null to not be affected by Group Fly? Okay, let's see what we can get. However, I am against changing the Fly power itself or moving it to another pool where it doesn't belong.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Rudra said:

Because flight is already covered by the Flight pool and does not fit into the idea of leadership. 

A Flight with a Group Fly secondary power would be leadership related just because it's team-based. Only someone specifically wanting to work with a group (or their pets) would take it.

(And I don't mean "move" the Flight power, just add a new one to the Leadership Pool. Not sure what to call it, but the Group Fly power could be called 'Formation' or something.)

• Like 1

*Reads title.*

No.

*Reads initial post*

Still no.

Yes, something more needs to be done with the "How do I make Group Fly not affect me" - honestly, if the token that's granted could be automatically granted on sets/powers that must have ground or near-ground contact, it'd probably fix ... 70%ish of the complaints. (With the option to toggle it off, still.)  It's not obvious, it's not explained, it's not convenient when you're - say - in a raid zone. Other than that? Flight pool's fine.

Still not particularly fond of certain segments of this community.

41 minutes ago, Biff Pow said:
3 hours ago, Rudra said:

Because flight is already covered by the Flight pool and does not fit into the idea of leadership. 

A Flight with a Group Fly secondary power would be leadership related just because it's team-based. Only someone specifically wanting to work with a group (or their pets) would take it.

You can give orders and rally your teammates (which includes your pets) to do many things. Getting them to fly when they themselves lack the ability to fly is not one of them. So no, Fly is not appropriate for being added to the Leadership pool.

Edit: Also, your proposal would do nothing to address the problem other than move it from the Flight pool to the Leadership pool. Because when those players use your new proposed Fly power's secondary Group Fly ability, it will still affect everyone within its radius that does not have the hidden power Null the Gull grants.

Edited by Rudra

We have Prompt team teleport in options so could Prompt Team fly be added?

When someone uses group fly you will get a one time pop up asking if you accept or decline the fly, which would last until you logged out or reactivate it in options or even disable it entirely all the time until reactivated.

It may be a slight inconvenience to some though.

Edited by Gobbledigook

21 hours ago, mistagoat said:

When you are in a mission, on a TF, doing Hami, doing a MSR or any number of other team activities you are often sort of required to be in relatively close proximity to the rest of your team if you'd like to participate. If one of those team members is running GF then waiting for them to fly away isn't an option, they're always going to be nearby if you're running as team.

Yeah. I agree.

Nothing I typed disagrees with that.

Note is was commenting on what @Scarlet Shocker said "But the issue is you're dragging the rest of the team around with you, whether they want it or not!"

It doesn't do that. It doesn't drag the team around.

I agree it lifts them of the ground, but it doesn't make them move with the person that has Group Fly.

In no way does saying that it doesn't "drag people around" indicate that they aren't affected by it.

I find Group Fly annoying myself .... but I have used it on rare occasions ... before the Sunset.

On 9/19/2024 at 4:30 AM, UltraAlt said:

One of the first things I do when I make a new character is to go to Null the Gull to turn off group fly, team teleport, and speed buffs ... among other things.

It's when you're forced into the proximity of a GF user in order to play the game that it becomes a problem.

Agreed on this.

Technically you aren't being dragged along but functionally the result is the same.

The result is not the same. You are not being moved.

Is your character lifted off the ground? sure.

Is it annoying? yes.

Can it stop you from using powers in addition to being annoying? yes. most definitely.

that being said ...

When you are in a mission, on a TF, doing Hami, doing a MSR or any number of other team activities you are often sort of required to be in relatively close proximity to the rest of your team if you'd like to participate. If one of those team members is running GF then waiting for them to fly away isn't an option, they're always going to be nearby if you're running as team.

So we are talking about characters heading toward or in the end-game for the most part.
If it happens to you once by then and it ticks you off, you should have more than enough resources like the /help channel, the wiki, and these forum to find a solution to that problem - which is Null the Gull.

If you are level 50 and don't know about those resources ... seriously,  you should not have a level 50 

Happens to you once, shame on the guy with group fly. Happens to you twice, shame on you.

Sure, sometime I forget to go to Null the Gull, or the character was created before I started going to Null the Gull as one of the first things that I do with a character once they enter the game world. That's on me. I know about the Null the Gull, and I know that they can prevent the issue. So it would be on me 100% if I get Group Fly-ed or Team Teleported .... or even have to stop mid combat to click on Mystic Fortune on me mid-combat (who even does that? is that trolling?! Why mid combat?) ... or simply to turn if off so one of my pesky teammates can stop drawing the Tower card (https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/The_Tower) from the bottom of the deck every time they use it on me! (And, yeah, if you are stealthed, the damage that the Tower card causes takes you out of stealth!)

Perhaps it is time to start asking before taskforce or leagues if anyone intends on using Group Fly so that everyone that doesn't want it affecting their characters has time to go to the Pocket D and see Null the Gull before the missions/event starts rolling.

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Thumbs Down 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 9/18/2024 at 2:15 PM, Scarlet Shocker said:

Fly itself is rather overshadowed by Mystic Flighty which does that job much better - the only downside with the latter is the funky gfx that go with it that jar when playing a non-magical character.

You can turn the graphics off.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

10 hours ago, Biff Pow said:

(And I don't mean "move" the Flight power, just add a new one to the Leadership Pool. Not sure what to call it, but the Group Fly power could be called 'Formation' or something.)

Now matter how good of a motivational speaker you are, your speeches can't be that uplifting.

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, FDR's Think Tank said:

...does Leadership have any effect on Mastermind's Minions or other's Pets?

Only a small number of Pets don't benefit from the Buff Auras in Leadership.  Trip Mine and Remote Bomb are 2 that don't.

Here's the Trip Mine Pet Power.  Note the padlock flag on the left:  "Ignores external strength boosts".
https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=pets.mine.trip_mine&at=minion_pets

• Like 1