I don't get why this is so much better than CO

23 hours ago, Ukase said:

Because I'm right handed, my right hand is on the arrow keys to move my character, with my left on the number row atop the keyboard for attacks. I only use the mouse to click open a door or a glowie. It just seemed intuitive to me - and when those other games didn't have that option, I just uninstalled them. 

The vast majority of my PC gaming before MMOs were isometric RTS games and FPS games, which meant a lot of mouse work. WASD is just the "classic" setting for right-handed people that played FPSs and it carried over to just about every other game that allowed for direct character movement, first person or otherwise. WASD to move, Space to jump, Shift to run, Ctrl to crouch. It actually bugs me when people make changes to that system (like C to crouch or Shift to crouch) and don't offer a way to fix them with keymapping though I'll usually adjust if I like the game otherwise.

With MMOs, I do (or did) so much PvP that you could never get me to be a "keyboard turner" like how you seem to prefer. It's much less important in CoH due to how the game doesn't check facing, but in WoW or other MMOs, you often never took any damage from players that relied on the keyboard to turn their character and never touched the mouse. You'd run circles around them all day.

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

For me, the problem with WASD is that the forward and back keys aren’t lined up like the arrow keys are. I tried, but that misalignment made it basically unusable for my brain.

This goes double when you’re using an ergonomic keyboard (I do a lot of typing and it’s a carpal tunnel saver).

Being able to slide my finger smoothly from forward to reverse by feel is the only way I can play a game. If I can’t remap my movement to the arrow keys, I just don’t play that game.

Likewise, I’ve never seen the appeal of clicking your powers with a mouse when you can hotkey them and never have worry that you’ll accidentally fall outside the power’s bounding box when you click.

I play with an Xbox One controller and a wireless trackball and keyboard for the stuff I can't do with it. Took me a bit to get the controller set up but it works surprisingly well. It's also why I have a lot of typing errors sometimes since the Xbox One PC adapter seems to interfere my my keyboard if they're sitting too close to one another. 😕

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

Now that the topic has shifted to keyboard and mouse use, I feel it's a thread I can post in.   Never played Champions; only ever saw screenshots and Monster Factory's video series.  Enough to know it definitely was not "for me."

I use arrow keys.

I was raised on Wolfenstein 3D and Doom as my first first-person gaming experiences.

My left hand rests across my keyboard to reach the arrows, and right hand on the mouse.  This grants me quick access to both the Numpad and the keys around the Enter key.  I find it highly efficient and comfortable, and amusing when young gamers look at my arm and ask how it could possibly be either of those things.   And then I proceed to "rekt" them in Quake.

4 hours ago, ForeverLaxx said:

The vast majority of my PC gaming before MMOs were isometric RTS games and FPS games, which meant a lot of mouse work. WASD is just the "classic" setting for right-handed people that played FPSs and it carried over to just about every other game that allowed for direct character movement, first person or otherwise. WASD to move, Space to jump, Shift to run, Ctrl to crouch. It actually bugs me when people make changes to that system (like C to crouch or Shift to crouch) and don't offer a way to fix them with keymapping though I'll usually adjust if I like the game otherwise.

With MMOs, I do (or did) so much PvP that you could never get me to be a "keyboard turner" like how you seem to prefer. It's much less important in CoH due to how the game doesn't check facing, but in WoW or other MMOs, you often never took any damage from players that relied on the keyboard to turn their character and never touched the mouse. You'd run circles around them all day.

This is probably why I settled in with arrow keys for movement - because I never played any other MMOs besides CoH, except to try them out after CoH shut down. It was always Leisure Suit Larry, Centurion: Defenders of Rome, Sims 4 or Madden NFL, and occasionally a game called Billionaire II. 

When I got CoH, I thought I would be playing some pre-fabricated hero character against NPCs. Had no idea there would be other folks playing characters in the same game. I didn't even realize internet service would be required, nor did I realize I'd have to pay $15 a month to play it! Good thing the first month was included in the price, lol. 

When the game shut down, I did think CO was the closest to CoH. Didn't really dawn on me that Cryptic had made both games, so it makes sense they were similar, to a degree. I think if I'd figured out what the equivalent to slotting was in CO, I might have kept playing. 

What I find interesting is that I use the number pad for movement in CoH, STO, I belive SWTOR,

I use the wasd for directional movement and the mouse for looking around, in games like Skyrim and AvG.

if I have a game pad available, I use the d-pad on it for directional movement and the mouse for looking around.

Unfortunately, my game pad's forward direction on the d-pad is wearing out, so the game pad is very unreliable when playing games like Skyrim.

I have tried to use the game pad with CoH, but it was odd and kept throughing me off.

So, I just stick with the number pad for movement in CoH.

I use a Razer Nostromo for my movement and general keyboard commands, and gaming mouse in the other hand. I only use the keyboard to chat.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

• 2 weeks later

Purely personal stuff for me.

1 I did not like the graphic style of CO.

2 The community and people in COH back in the day were amazing.

3 The Devs were roo accessible to chat and play with.

I remember being one of the main organisers of an Internatioal Costume Competition in Pocket D with live DJs, amazing exclusive prizes from the Devs.

No other game begorevin since matched that kind of stuff.

I am DELIGHTED I heard about Homecoming the other day.

• 3 weeks later

He doesn't.  Last sentence in the second-to-last paragraph in the post linked below.  He's just here for the same reason someone would go to a French restaurant every day and complain about the lack of tacos on the menu, then leave without ordering anything.

Slow facepalm. people really don't want to understand, or they would have long ago. I've explained why I like COH and what I dont like about it over and over, but the idiotic fanboys just ignore reason and focus only on the things I say are bad about it. Forget the fact I said COH is and has been king of character customization and freedom for 15 years, no I must hate the game becuase the combat sucks.

Shows why I don't play much anymore despite all I love about it, the remaining community is awful and incapable of basic reason.

18 minutes ago, ZeeHero said:

Shows why I don't play much anymore despite all I love about it, the remaining community is awful and incapable of basic reason.

Dont paint with too broad a brush.  The remaining community is the same as the community has always been, mostly nice helpful people with a few asshats thrown in.

Not YOU but a general you to everyone reading, if you see everyone as asshats then perhaps its a you problem and not a them problem.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EmmySky said:

Dont paint with too broad a brush.  The remaining community is the same as the community has always been, mostly nice helpful people with a few asshats thrown in.

Not YOU but a general you to everyone reading, if you see everyone as asshats then perhaps its a you problem and not a them problem.

Nah.  The community has definitely changed.  Not saying necessarily for the better nor for the worse, but it's definitely a different community now than on live.

Edited by Apparition

7 minutes ago, Apparition said:

The community has definitely changed.  Not saying necessarily for the better nor for the worse, but it's definitely a different community now than on live.

Weeeellll, for one thing, most of us are a decade older!

It's certainly turned my Superleap into Combat Jumping!

Edited by DoctorDitko
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

I'd say there was also a bit of a power vacuum when certain Big Names didn't return to the community, leading to a different system of social/gamer strata becoming established within the community, and thereby causing new leaders to affect different subcultural norms for their followers.

• Like 1

Just now, DoctorDitko said:

Weeeellll, for one thing, most of us are a decade older!

That, and video gaming culture in general has changed, and a lot of newer and/or younger players have brought it with them to City of Heroes.  It's a lot more frenetic and competitive in general than back in the mid-2000s.  You can thank things like Call of Duty, Fortnite, Valorant, etc.

3 minutes ago, FoulVileTerror said:

I'd say there was also a bit of a power vacuum when certain Big Names didn't return to the community, leading to a different system of social/gamer strata becoming established within the community, and thereby causing new leaders to affect different subcultural norms for their followers.

Plus the City of Heroes community in and of itself is fractured.  Homecoming is now the big one, but you also have servers like Cake Evolution, Sanctuary, Resurgence, Rebirth, and Thunderspy.  There are quite a few people that played on live that still play CoH but not on Homecoming.

• Thanks 1

On 6/28/2020 at 5:45 PM, Crimsonpyre said:

I use a Razer Nostromo for my movement and general keyboard commands, and gaming mouse in the other hand. I only use the keyboard to chat.

Just don't listen to Mother and stop on whatever moon that was ..

Nothing good will come of it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Apparition said:

Plus the City of Heroes community in and of itself is fractured.  Homecoming is now the big one, but you also have servers like Cake Evolution, Sanctuary, Resurgence, Rebirth, and Thunderspy.  There are quite a few people that played on live that still play CoH but not on Homecoming.

And it's likely to stay that way. The devs of the other servers seem to want to make sure their players know that all the "other" servers are ran by power-hungry a-holes for some reason.

• Sad 1

On 8/3/2020 at 12:15 AM, ForeverLaxx said:

And it's likely to stay that way. The devs of the other servers seem to want to make sure their players know that all the "other" servers are ran by power-hungry a-holes for some reason.

People are naturally divisive and diversionary, its what gives THEM power

I'm joining this conversation rather late, but concerning character creator constraints (holy alliteration, Batman!) being "limited" has resulted in some incredibly fun characters for me as I try to put together not only a fun combo, but create a story (always a must for my long-term investment) for that character.

Anything else I could say has already been mentioned dozens of times, but I wanted to toss this one into the ring.

5 hours ago, Jaguaratron said:

People are naturally divisive and diversionary, its what gives THEM power

I know that's the underlying reason, but it does mean that a lot of what each server comes up with for fixes/additions tends to stay on that server exclusively unless the devs of that server are on "good terms" with another dev team. In my brief time exploring this issue I found that the HC devs are being painted as villains by the other servers though I haven't found an exact reason as to why. Nothing I've seen here, save for maybe a couple moments, have indicated any sort of hint towards the other dev teams' animosity towards our own.

Honestly, it probably has more to do with merging divergent source trees and reconciling changes than anything else. It takes orders of magnitude more effort to reconcile the changes from plural development teams.

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

This is gonna sound super weird but to me CoH has an aspect to it that I can really only compare to Dark Souls. The slower, more mechanical, more deliberate combat is just appealing to me VS a more action oriented game like CO or ESO where you can spam abilities while running around like a maniac. 

Then that formula is blended with the "nuke the world" style of ARPG combat found in games like Diablo 3 where you're just a God blasting off spectacular attacks and destroying dozens of enemies at a time. 

Mixed with good art and an interesting world and TONS of replayability and it's a recipe for success. 

And damn the power icons and UI are just so slick. 

18 hours ago, ForeverLaxx said:

I know that's the underlying reason, but it does mean that a lot of what each server comes up with for fixes/additions tends to stay on that server exclusively unless the devs of that server are on "good terms" with another dev team. In my brief time exploring this issue I found that the HC devs are being painted as villains by the other servers though I haven't found an exact reason as to why. Nothing I've seen here, save for maybe a couple moments, have indicated any sort of hint towards the other dev teams' animosity towards our own.

I would suggest there are multiple reasons.

They have a jump on everything after spreading out of what was the "super secret server".

People are still butthurt they weren't in the "super secret server club".

Homecoming has a larger playerbase which makes them "the man" as in a natural adversary for other servers seeking drama.

Promoting negativity about HC could (in their minds) increase their player base.

People are just sad, selfish individuals to be honest, some seek drama for dramas sake, others are just jealous of things other people have regardless of whether they have a need too or not, Homecoming has never, to my knowledge, been anything other than courteous to other servers, if they were not the messages would have been posted all over the internet. If other servers are still trying to paint a narrative of homeing devs being "bad guys" then its likely just bait, just so pointless, you got the code and tools to do what you want so go do it.