Patch Notes for August 27th, 2019

Leandro

The only mention of Defiance is regarding the Time Bomb change, but I've noticed the difference between OOC and IC snipes on my blaster which give a buff of 24% damage and 200% range for OOC and 11% damage and 0% range for IC.

Are IC snipes no longer meant to grant range through Defiance?

If you set a man a flame, you keep him warm for a day. If you set a man aflame, you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

21 hours ago, tatmia said:

I don't see it in the patch notes, but  some my enhancement icons are much brighter and defined?  Adjusted targeting is gorgeous now and I can actually see that there's a target.

About to be away from the computer for a week (Yay DragonCon) but I can't wait to try out all the dom changes.

DRAGON*CON!!!! WHOOOO!

Going to the panel on Friday?

Death is the best debuff.

I'm a Mac user and my client was working fine last night but now doesn't work. I've seen replies to this issue above but the answer solution was a link to an old post. What do I do with this current update to install it on a Mac? This is a new issue based on the latest update so we need new post. Thanks and most appreciations for all your work as devs. 

EDIT: To be specific when I try to load it tells me there's a failure because Wine isn't loaded. No clear path from there that I can tell yet.

Edited by Brigadier
Clarification.

5 hours ago, Abraxus said:

Couple of places you can refer:

Install Guide

and

Troubleshooting Guide

Same thing exactly is happening to me. Step by step. Can't connect despite the install guide. Game was already installed and running as of a day ago. Install guide as linked above is too old to help. 

Edited by Brigadier
Clarification

4 hours ago, Eran Rist said:

DRAGON*CON!!!! WHOOOO!

Going to the panel on Friday?

I have it on my schedule, but it's also during Tennant's panel.    Granted, I usually opt out of celebrity panels after looking at the line.  

I  remember back in 2007 or so we had a fan panel and then interest died down.    In 2010 my family learned about the shutdown  when a friend called me to let me know.   I can still see the line I was in outside the Marriott as I tried to grapple with what he was saying.  It would be nice to replace that memory with a happy one.   

Edited by tatmia
  • Like 1

So what am I supposed to do with this +5 Gaussian's set and Kismet now?  Can't sell it, can't really use it.  F it!  Everyone is a instasniper now!  Some things are part of the game for a reason.  Fiddling with stuff just because you can doesn't make sense.  Neither does instasniping everyone while nerfing the blasters who's builds DID revolve around the careful implementation of to-hit enhancements.  Give me ONE good reason why everyone needs instasnipe.  Just one.  Good luck.

• City Council
4 minutes ago, Rock Em said:

So what am I supposed to do with this +5 Gaussian's set and Kismet now?  Can't sell it, can't really use it.  F it!  Everyone is a instasniper now!  Some things are part of the game for a reason.  Fiddling with stuff just because you can doesn't make sense.  Neither does instasniping everyone while nerfing the blasters who's builds DID revolve around the careful implementation of to-hit enhancements.  Give me ONE good reason why everyone needs instasnipe.  Just one.  Good luck.

The old instant snipe implementation was never finished, and never made it to the live version of the game. It was, quite frankly, really poorly thought out.

This implementation brings it in line with Assassin's Strike. If you read the patch notes you'll see that you will actually be doing the same amount of damage as before with your +Tohit bonuses.

• Like 5

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

10 minutes ago, Rock Em said:

Uh...Insta-snipe from +22% to-hit wasn't in the game originally, was it?  Also, the to-hit bonuses you have accumulated increase the damage of your insta-snipe, thus still benefiting you.

Edited by Sailboat

I am honestly very surprised by this !!!!

It was supposed to stay like it was in 2012...just like a private server without any changes...

But it is way more than this !!! crazy guys, i am really surprised...and all for free OoO wow....

My best regards and i am really impressed ! i just hope that you will find a deal with NCsoft ...........................................it's only mystery !

41 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

The old instant snipe implementation was never finished, and never made it to the live version of the game. It was, quite frankly, really poorly thought out.

This implementation brings it in line with Assassin's Strike. If you read the patch notes you'll see that you will actually be doing the same amount of damage as before with your +Tohit bonuses.

38 minutes ago, Sailboat said:

Uh...Insta-snipe from +22% to-hit wasn't in the game originally, was it?  Also, the to-hit bonuses you have accumulated increase the damage of your insta-snipe, thus still benefiting you.

I had instasnipe from +22% this weekend - activate, fire.  Now I'm winding up.  If I wanted more damage, I'd add damage enhancements.

Powers: Snipes

• General Changes
    • ToHit is no longer required to achieve fast-snipe. 

Obviously, it was in game if it is now no longer required.  "If you read the patch notes..."  smh 

Edited by Rock Em
addition.
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Rock Em said:

I had instasnipe from +22% this weekend - activate, fire.  Now I'm winding up.  If I wanted more damage, I'd add damage enhancements.

Powers: Snipes

• General Changes
    • ToHit is no longer required to achieve fast-snipe. 

Obviously, it was in game if it is now no longer required.  "If you read the patch notes..."  smh 

And you still have instasnipe at the same damage as before and others without 22% to hit can also instasnipe but will do less damage. And instasnipe was never on the live game and was only added after the game was brought back from the dead. 

• Like 1

• Developer
56 minutes ago, Rock Em said:

Instasnipe mechanics were introduced because many blast sets lack a third decent single target attack, or their attacks dont have enough cooldown to sustain a single target attack chain without incorporating snipes into the attacks.

The goal was to make them usable for everyone, but it also was considered to be too strong to just "give away" so the ToHit requirement was added. This was obscure, clunky and buggy (highlight rings were never consistent) and did nothing for most develping builds. It ended up only being enjoyed by end-game builds, or /device blasters (to the point where /devices was starting to be considered required for many blaster primaries.)

This change made it so that snipes, inside combat, are instantly fast always, BUT at a lower damage scale. Want the old damage scale? you still need the ToHit buff. You dont want to get rid of that Gaussian or Kimset, unless you want to sacrifice your damage for something else, like defense or recharge.

If you dont ever want to execute a slow snipe, you can either open the attack chain with a different attack, slot the new Special Snipe IO, or just let the enemy attack first as that will also activate quick snipes.

• Like 3

image.thumb.png.07fe64b26308cd3c157b58cc695449de.png

1 hour ago, Rock Em said:

You do the same damge with instasnipe as you did before the patch. You now do more damage if you use snipe as an opener.  Please explain how this is a nerf.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HelenCarnate said:

You do the same damge with instasnipe as you did before the patch. You now do more damage if you use snipe as an opener.  Please explain how this is a nerf.

I have to wait.  Seconds count.  Again, damage isn't what I wanted.  And the uniqueness is now lost.  Everyone gets instasnipe.

1 hour ago, Captain Powerhouse said:

Instasnipe mechanics were introduced because many blast sets lack a third decent single target attack, or their attacks dont have enough cooldown to sustain a single target attack chain without incorporating snipes into the attacks.

The goal was to make them usable for everyone, but it also was considered to be too strong to just "give away" so the ToHit requirement was added. This was obscure, clunky and buggy (highlight rings were never consistent) and did nothing for most develping builds. It ended up only being enjoyed by end-game builds, or /device blasters (to the point where /devices was starting to be considered required for many blaster primaries.)

This change made it so that snipes, inside combat, are instantly fast always, BUT at a lower damage scale. Want the old damage scale? you still need the ToHit buff. You dont want to get rid of that Gaussian or Kimset, unless you want to sacrifice your damage for something else, like defense or recharge.

If you dont ever want to execute a slow snipe, you can either open the attack chain with a different attack, slot the new Special Snipe IO, or just let the enemy attack first as that will also activate quick snipes.

Thank you for your lucid, relevant post that actually addresses the questions posed.  I don't like the answer, but at least it makes some sense. 

Almost everyone is 50 in a few weeks at most in HC.  I am an end-game build and I WAS enjoying it.  And I liked being the only build enjoying it.   I liked watching others wind up while I was moving on to the next attack.  I don't like waiting for my snipe after I worked hard and sacrificed other slots for instasnipe... under any circumstances.  I don't like respecing days after completing a build that I spent weeks on mids planning and reading forums.  And I certainly don't like having to close 60 range for my new opener or wait to be attacked, in stealth, just to instacast my snipe - that's just backwards.  I'm pissed.  I literally just finished the build.  That shouldn't be hard to understand.  

Still have the same issue:  Why does everyone need instasnipe?  I don't think there's a good reason.  Sacrifice slots for it just like I did. 

There's a little too much giving it all away for free going on around here, me thinks.  Not good for longevity.  Perhaps no one is counting on that anyway.

Edited by Rock Em
correction

There is likely no answer that will assuage your issues with this change, so I'm not going to attempt it.  Suffice to say that there are going to be fans, and opponents of any changes made to the game, depending on how they are personally effected by it, and whether the effect is viewed as positive to their style of game play. 

Speaking personally, I have a variety of characters that have Snip in their powerset, and I am really liking these changes, but I didn't put a lot of time and effort into making it behave differently than default.  So, it's understandable from that perspective.  Just don't let it be the defining characteristic of the game, or be angry because you don't agree with it.  Bottom line is, this is a game, and life is too short to be that intense about anything in a game, when there are so many more pressing "real-world" issues that surround all of us every day. 🙂

Edited by Abraxus
  • Like 1

What was no more, is REBORN!

48 minutes ago, Abraxus said:

There is likely no answer that will assuage your issues with this change, so I'm not going to attempt it.  Suffice to say that there are going to be fans, and opponents of any changes made to the game, depending on how they are personally effected by it, and whether the effect is viewed as positive to their style of game play. 

Speaking personally, I have a variety of characters that have Snip in their powerset, and I am really liking these changes, but I didn't put a lot of time and effort into making it behave differently than default.  So, it's understandable from that perspective.  Just don't let it be the defining characteristic of the game, or be angry because you don't agree with it.  Bottom line is, this is a game, and life is too short to be that intense about anything in a game, when there are so many more pressing "real-world" issues that surround all of us every day. 🙂

Of course.  Thanks for getting it.  I come across far angrier in writing than in reality.  Already on to how I can turn it to my advantage.  Need that PvP io now.  Wondering if that's drop only.

I recognize the name "Abraxus", you play LoL?

Edited by Rock Em

28 minutes ago, Rock Em said:

Of course.  Thanks for getting it.  I come across far angrier in writing than in reality.  Already on to how I can turn it to my advantage.  Need that PvP io now.  Wondering if that's drop only.

I recognize the name "Abraxus", you play LoL?

I have been playing (the 7 year interruption not withstanding) since two weeks after it went live!  So, I absolutely play!  Though, you would not typically find me in any of the PvP areas, or arenas.  PvE has always been my thing, and my "Abraxus" character, pictured in my forum avatar, is only Level 28, so he has not been around as much as a few of my other characters who are much higher in level.  But, I'm around, so if ya see me, feel free to hit me up!

What was no more, is REBORN!