What Other Hobbies Interest You Besides Gaming?

Abraxus

• 2 weeks later
1 minute ago, EyeLuvBooks said:

Writing is ALWAYS interesting to me because it's harder to do than many people will admit. What do you write?

Plans for the about 30 novels I have planned... Mostly not writing the novels as while I love the world building I'm my own worst critic when it comes to the actual prose. ;/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lost Ninja said:

Plans for the about 30 novels I have planned... Mostly not writing the novels as while I love the world building I'm my own worst critic when it comes to the actual prose. ;/

Join a writing group if you haven't already. Writers Unite on Facebook is a good start. There are also numerous others. Let someone impartial read your stuff and fairly judge it.

Being critical of yourself is good for a writer but as you said, we're our own worst critics...

1 minute ago, EyeLuvBooks said:

Join a writing group if you haven't already. Writers Unite on Facebook is a good start. There are also numerous others. Let someone impartial read your stuff and fairly judge it.

Being critical of yourself is good for a writer but as you said, we're our own worst critics...

I've published some stuff online and it's been fairly well received (very niche NSFW sites OFC) and I am in a local group. Still slow going.

• Like 1

• 3 years later

Yes, this thread was SO IMPORTANT it had to be necroed THREE YEARS AFTER THE LAST REPLY.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 9/8/2023 at 10:43 AM, Ghost said:

Having a bad day?

While I try not to engage in thread necromancy (because it seems to draw such negative feedback) I must admit I'm totally clueless why it's an online social no no.  Makes no sense to me at all to start a new thread/post on the same exact subject especially when the thread (in this case) itself so clearly marks the guilty post as "3 years later".  At what point does it stray from merely a slow or late response  into 'foul necromancy'  territory.  A week, a month, 6 months, other?  Either the topic interests you or you skip the thread regardless I'd think.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

While I try not to engage in thread necromancy (because it seems to draw such negative feedback) I must admit I'm totally clueless why it's an online social no no.  Makes no sense to me at all to start a new thread/post on the same exact subject especially when the thread (in this case) itself so clearly marks the guilty post as "3 years later".  At what point does it stray from merely a slow or late response  into 'foul necromancy'  territory.  A week, a month, 6 months, other?  Either the topic interests you or you skip the thread regardless I'd think.

I think if it's a necro of a thread that has been beaten around back then with possible changes, I could see being annoyed.

The last one that annoyed me was someone wanting to know why something wasn't fixed as described, when if they had checked patch notes, would see that it had been addressed.  (or something like that)

Threads like this, a bit more timeless.

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Funny thing is, it’s not hard to find threads where people ask about something previously asked, only for someone to reply with links to the previous threads saying “no need to start another thread”

Damed if you do, damned if you don’t.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ghost said:

Funny thing is, it’s not hard to find threads where people ask about something previously asked, only for someone to reply with links to the previous threads saying “no need to start another thread”

Damed if you do, damned if you don’t.

I look at it this way, HC Mods and Devs don't appear to have a hangup about reviving older threads, so why should I.  I always found it odd that thread necro-ing was frowned upon back on Legacy ( and here too by some) especially if the topic/discussion was still relevant and contained useful info pertaining to the discussion, rather that having to search through multiple threads for that info.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

I work at a bank in Texas. I love to write. On my off time I run a weekly blog called ink Blots. I make my own comics, 3 of them are Sunday styled comics and 1 is an on going series. Am on issue 5 now. I finished my second ebook on fraud and will be continuing that series with a third one in the future. All my work is here. htttps://thedrawingdesk.com  

Edited by OmegaSection9

thedrawingdesk   

Currently... tarot reading. (Bet you didn't see that coming.)

Beyond that I'm working and studying a lot - just finishing up an advanced business course, and starting basic Italian - and have a house to run on top'o'that. But one of these days I'd love to try learning guitar again. Screwed my left hand badly falling off a wave on a dodgy foam surfboard when I was younger, but maybe with some training it'd at least let me crank out a lazy G-A-D strum cameo.

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

I get the tarot reading thing - had a college housemate teach me the basics, which I used to fill in holes in my tabletop RPG campaigns.  Even ran some one-shot adventures that were literally me pulling random major arcana cards and making stuff up on the fly.  That said, the only card I remember is The Tower, but, ironically, it apparently means pretty much the exact opposite of what I thought it meant.

On a related note, I'm casually working on a set of house rules for GURPS, an RPG system that I played the heck out of back in the day.  Using GURPS to run a Middle-Earth campaign has been my holy grail for decades, but it wasn't until just a couple of years ago that I was hit in the face with an idea that promises to bring the whole thing together.  Ironically, the idea came from an argument I had with one of my sisters.  Haven't decided if I want to give her credit, but I don't expect it to see print anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/20/2023 at 10:30 PM, TheOtherTed said:

That said, the only card I remember is The Tower, but, ironically, it apparently means pretty much the exact opposite of what I thought it meant.

I've always thought of The Tower in storytelling terms. It's an ending card - like the World (100% victory), 10s of Coins or Cups (Disney happy ending), Death (neutral and punctual) or 10 of Swords (...nasty).

But instead, it's the Michael Bay ending - where not only is something in your life going to end at the right time, it's also going to violently explode for no valid plot reason. Sure, you'll be able to build something better and more stable. That's not really a comfort during the whole running away bit. Unless you were the one who chose to light the fuse... interested to know what you thought on that one. 

GURPS? Now there's a name I've not heard in a long time... a looong time. I think I might still have a copy of the infamous Cyberpunk sourcebook kicking around somewhere, which I only bought to find out why the FBI wanted it stopped. Then went straight round to the bookshop and bought a whole bunch of Gibsons. Smash the system, choombatta! 

And my favourite RPG back in the day was... MERP. As a stylish Rohirrim Ranger most of the time.

• Thumbs Up 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

I don't know where I got the idea, but my interpretation of The Tower was this:  Anything you rely upon or have faith in could be destroyed in an instant - but the fact that it existed is eternal and unchanging.  I found that to be a comforting thought.  I know I got the idea from somewhere (I'm just not that deep), but I can't trace it back to a source.  Could be that I'm conflating it with some other card(s), or something else entirely.

Recently re-read the "classic" Gibson books myself, i.e., those in which Cyberspace was arranged as a quasi-physical space filled with day-glo geometry.  I find his more recent books to be somewhat dry.  Interesting, fun, definitely more topical, but dry.  I figured he'd finally educated himself about how computers worked and, in doing so, lost that "fantasy" quality of his early novels, but that's just me making stuff up.

MERPS - ugh.  Ran a campaign my first year in college, had fun with it, but had fundamental problems with the magic system.  About as un-Tolkien as you could get.  Then I fell in with a Rolemaster crowd and got lost in tables, tables, and more tables.  Sooo many look-up tables.  Then I found GURPS, and the heavens opened with light.

Used to be fairly big into photography (senior pictures,  families, weddings/engagements). Now I only drag my camera out for when the kid plays sports.

Other than the typical "take care of the house, garden, yardwork,etc etc", I'm also into firearms. I could show you what's in my safe, but then I'd have to kill you...and I really don't wanna do that. Too much love for this community. 20200926_151825.thumb.jpg.a6a3009e208462ddcf6d52d77416902e.jpg

Edited by Xandyr

17 hours ago, Xandyr said:

Used to be fairly big into photography (senior pictures,  families, weddings/engagements). Now I only drag my camera out for when the kid plays sports.

Photography.JPG.f2f5f6950764837a89461ba8285189e1.JPG

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.