If you could add a New Zone...?

If you could add a new zone to the game what would it be? Blue Side, Red Side, Gold Side, PVP, or some combination thereof?

One that I've long thought would be kind of cool would be an Oranbega zone. It would be available to both Heroes and Villains, with separate mission arcs for both as well as at least one Task Force (that could be performed by teams of any alignment). Circle of Thorns would obviously be the main threat there- both current models as well as hopefully some new baddies. Mu Mystics and other followers of Mu would be prominent, and I could even see a role for Coralax and some extension of their story in the zone.

• Like 1

I honestly think there are way too many zones already; especially blue side.

Typical journey of heroes and widely used zones:

Atlas, Kings, Hollows, Steel, Talos, Bricks, Founders, and then Peregrine.

So many zones get ignored almost totally like Croatoa, Crey's, Boomtown, Eden, Skyway, IP, Perez, Striga, Faultline, etc - Not even mentioned the all but empty Praetorian zones :(

Heck even when CoH had 100,000+ subs most of these zones were pretty much abandoned.

it would be something like Battleworld in Marvels Secret Wars (2015)

for all sides and PvP only optional,

the story there would also be something like Secret Wars because thats what i imagined happend in COH after the shut down (even befor Secret Wars was out)

back to the Zukunft

@Jkwak

The moon.

/this

however first id look to revamping eden, creys folly, boomtown, TV and perez in the same way as the hollows, rwz, DA and faultline were.

(the new construction at the entrance to boomtown implies this may have been in the pipeline)

As much as I appreciate all of the hard dedicated work this core group has accomplished in bringing back the game...I am hoping they bring back the V side of the game...what is there now seems like a player made creation and while it is great... it still is not city of villains...I am not a sewer dweller.

The Original Hangover since the early 90's...this asks for your birth date...WHAT you NEED a birth date? I don't know mine..forgot it, gave mine away years ago um No thanks...do not need a new one.

As much as I appreciate all of the hard dedicated work this core group has accomplished in bringing back the game...I am hoping they bring back the V side of the game...what is there now seems like a player made creation and while it is great... it still is not city of villains...I am not a sewer dweller.

evrything is there, you dont need to do sewer runs if you dont want to

the problem is most groups just want to gain quick XP

back to the Zukunft

@Jkwak

endgame, i would add a new co-op zone. yes, there are already a lot of endgame zones. perhaps an entire map to do battle with nemisis, who has escaped to another world (which he has enslaved).

• Thanks 1

evrything is there, you dont need to do sewer runs if you dont want to

the problem is most groups just want to gain quick XP

The problem is also just that CoV got basically no attention at all post-CoV launch. It was, like, 20% of the players so they also stuck CoV ideas down with Superbase and PvP ideas - 'maybe if we have time.'

Incarnate zones so that we can play through our Incarnate levels instead of the raiding grind.

Dark Astoria was changed in to that. :)

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

If I could add a new zone, it'd be a trial zone similar to the RWZ, where heroes and villains would both be present. Unlike the RWZ, they would not be able to group up together - instead they'd still be separate and competing indirectly in PvE content. It'd be underground vast cavern zone accessable by both heroes and villains. It'd contain five massive rock spires stretching from the ground up to the ceiling, and each one would be controlled by a separate group. One would be a Dr Aeon laboratory (Arachnos & Villain entrance), another would be taken over by the Circle of Thorns. A third would be a living extension of the Devouring Earth. A fourth would be cordoned off and taken over by Longbow (Hero Entrance), and the fifth would be a Nemesis lair.

All five groups would be fighting it out in the center, and every so often one of the three non-player groups would release a giant monster from their spire that players could gang up on and attack. The CoT would be a stone golem held together by vines, the Devouring Earth would be a massive headless quadruped slime monster, and the Nemesis would be a huge drill tank.

Different enemy groups would drop unique salvage that's turned into contacts on the Arachnos/Longbow sides, and reward unique temp buffs/powers and some enhancements. If both sides hand in enough unique salvage, a special zone event would occur where Arachnos & Longbow's fight accidentally triggers a magma detonation in the center of the cavern that would release a giant magma monster (Arachnos side), and a giant robot (Longbow side) that would battle. Players would fight alongside one monster or the other to try to beat the enemy directly and indirectly (IE : Seal off a volcanic vent to weaken the magma monster), or take down a shield generator for the robot, or just deal a tiny bit of damage directly by fighting alongside your team's monster. The victorious side gaining a substantial bonus in salvage alongside a zone-wide boost for their players.

When entering players are warned that the battle has already made the cavern too unstable, adding extra fighting could cause everything to collapse, so they're restricted from fighting one another and instead aiding in the fight against the other groups. If one side or the other lacks enough players and it's horribly uneven, special 'mercenary' contacts will allow heroes to fight for Arachnos, or Villains for Longbow, to even things up.

• Thanks 1

Genuinely surprised how many like having neutral zones over side exclusive zones. The first thing I'd do is add a whole villain side zone, possibly two that have a long narrative that pulls you through an evolving storyline, similar to First Ward and Night Ward. I am hoping there will be tools made within a few months that'll allow us to start making our own content that could eventually be published so anything created could be available neutrally to any servers or personally ran instances of the game.

I'd probably make a set of islands risen by the Circle of Thorns around the boarders of the Rogue Isles. Seems like something they'd do for fun.

• Like 1

I know a lot of folks would prefer to see the game preserved as-is, but now we have options, like setting up a "legacy" server preserving the game at shutdown while tinkering as we please on another server.

So, I'd prioritize zones that haven't aged well, like Perez Park. I'd chop down a lot of the overgrowth and install an amusement park instead.

Also, a somewhat worse for the wear Galaxy City as a high level hazard zone.

First, I'd give redside a way to access the Shadow Shard. Then I would make a series of portals hidden in the shard, accessed by a mission that gives access to an alternate universe version of the world where everything is reskinned to look like Girl Genius style Elizabethan Cyberpunk.

Also, I would expand Praetoria and make content for it all the way up to level 50.

• Like 1

First, I'd give redside a way to access the Shadow Shard. Then I would make a series of portals hidden in the shard, accessed by a mission that gives access to an alternate universe version of the world where everything is reskinned to look like Girl Genius style Elizabethan Cyberpunk.

Also, I would expand Praetoria and make content for it all the way up to level 50.

+ 1 Inf for knowing about Girl Genuis!

I'm out.

(the new construction at the entrance to boomtown implies this may have been in the pipeline)

I noted this elsewhere, but I believe that is an asset that was brought over from an instanced zone by the SCORE group. There was an instanced mission in pre-sunset COX that involved a mission into Boomtown where the beginning of the zone showed these "redevelopment" art assets (I think it might have been a mission that originated in one of the revamped Faultline arcs, but I could be misremembering and it might have been an i24 mission on the test server). I think that there were some plans by devs to eventually revamp Boomtown like they did other zones, but that it hadn't gotten past that one instanced mission.

I would absolutely echo the suggestions for zone revamps though; particularly Boomtown and Perez Park like someone else mentioned; if only to demonstrate the advances brought about by years of relative stability after the first Rikti invasion (the timeline has obviously advanced in other places; it should also have invoked changes and rebuilding elsewhere). Plus just giving more of a theme and storyline to various zones (and maybe giving some groups a bit more story as well).

I also tend to prefer new and/or revamped zones be neutral zones; I am a diehard Redsider, but I think the opportunity to play more broadly together- having morally grey team-ups or even (if possible) some kinds of opt-in PvP would be great and makes things more dynamic all around.

To say nothing about expanding the Praetorian options.

I would be all about this, as well. I know they'd basically ended the Loyalist/Resistance storylines at 20, but when they rolled out First Ward (and then Night Ward) I wish they would have taken the opportunity to revisit that and expand those morality plays. First Ward in particular with its post-apocalyptic theme and the sheer size and array of its enemies, would have been perfect to continue those plots (and I hope someone picks it up at some point).

I haven't yet done it, but I always vowed when the game came back that I would create a character who would pretty much stay exclusively in First Ward. I think if they have dropped another hospital in there, and an invention lab (it could easily be an abandoned/ruined lab somewhere in mid-zone) First Ward would make for an excellent home base zone for a wide range of leveling and character roleplay.

Yes please, I like for the multiverse.

The moon.

This was one of the most suggested thing back then.

• Thanks 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)