Whats Peeps thoughts on Regen with a Scrapper?

Kid Durin Danark

Regen Scrappers  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Is it worth the time and effort?

• Yes
    • They nerfed the hell out of it
    • No
    • No idea I just like polls

Hi all,

I have been playing Regen Scrapper for about 2 months now(Post Live) and I wanted everyones take on it? 

Is it worth it?

Any down falls?

Has it been nerfed?

What would you play as first powers sets with regen?

I have forked over 300mil on a build and just want the general feel for the build?

Edited by Kid Durin Danark

I remember the pre-nerf Regen. It was crazy OP and I think people unfairly compare it to its former glory, if you'll pardon the pun. I feel like regen is a little weak early game now, and requires too many clicks.  Other than that it has the potential to be fairly strong late game. If you can somehow soft cap defenses and resists with IO sets (I'm not sure both are possible) it would feel pretty unkillabled I'd expect.

If I were going to "fix" the powerset, I'd change one of the clicks into a toggle and add maybe a small amount of resists to it (10%?). It might make it too similar to willpower though.

• Like 1

This one is a topic that is near and dear to my heart. Regen has been trash since instant healing became a click. The old devs made extreme heavy handed changes due to pvp. They even made things worse for stalkers by not giving them quick recovery when they know they could have put into fast healing. Stalkers had no way to offset the insane end cost of the power since 6 slotting stamina is not an option. That being said it's not like Regen could still tank hamidon. What are need is the Sentinel instant healing so we at least have something otherwise Will power is the new Regen.

I played a DM/Rgn Scrapper from late i3 onwards to fifty and was one of the few characters I had access to when the game announced the shutdown. Literally the inspiration for my main online "name" and current forum ID. Regen was nerfed hard, both ED and specific nerfs hit it hard. Then WP came along and showed us what we should have been... 😉

I still like it, there is just so many other good stuff that is as good if not better to play now

I still enjoy Regen quite a bit. Yes, it was changed from the original OP version, but once you get used to it, it is a lot of fun. You just rotate your 2-3 big 'can't touch me powers' at 50 and are golden. I rotate between Instant Healing, Moment of Glory (which was changed for the BETTER), and my Barrier incarnate. One of the three is always up if you build for Recharge (which you should). It is more active than it used to be, managing clicks, and not the 'set it and forget it' that it used to be, but is still pretty damn good, IMO.

My main is DM/Regen, and I've taken down just about every AV solo.

On live, my main was a Claws/Regen from i3. When the nerfs started hitting Regen hard, it became a set I couldn't play anymore. I just hated the changes they made to it. I was truly saddened by these changes. On Homecoming I rerolled my old main as a Claws/WP, and I love him. WP is the set which Regen once was, and now wishes it could be. If they reverted some of the nerfs on Regen, I may well be tempted to give it another shot. Until then though, it's a dead powerset to me.

Just seeing this thread solidifies it for me, I think, to rebuild my Regen and put together a video of stupid-regen-antics. Back on OG-Live  */Regen was the only character I fully invested in back then (as in, multi-billion INF build by the old market standards). The thing I always find ironic is how many people talk about "Willpower is what Regen wishes it could be," when it's only one power in the set that even mimics Regen. Bio Armor has the same fundamental concept baked in to it as well, yet no one ever brings that to the topic-table. Bio Armor is what Willpower wishes it could be 😉

I had back-burnered a Street Justice concept, but I think I'm going to do Titan Weapons just to really put some salt on it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

Just seeing this thread solidifies it for me, I think, to rebuild my Regen and put together a video of stupid-regen-antics. Back on OG-Live  */Regen was the only character I fully invested in back then (as in, multi-billion INF build by the old market standards). The thing I always find ironic is how many people talk about "Willpower is what Regen wishes it could be," when it's only one power in the set that even mimics Regen. Bio Armor has the same fundamental concept baked in to it as well, yet no one ever brings that to the topic-table. Bio Armor is what Willpower wishes it could be 😉

I had back-burnered a Street Justice concept, but I think I'm going to do Titan Weapons just to really put some salt on it.

I disagree. Willpower to me was way more survivable on SOs than Bio

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mansome said:

I disagree. Willpower to me was way more survivable on SOs than Bio

Unfortunately the numbers don't agree with you. Mind this isn't me trying to be sarcastic about it, I'm just pointing out just how kind of bonkers Bio Armor really is:

On just SO's alone, and nothing else, Bio Armor has 2% more defense on the same stats, the same 35% resistances to S/L. Willpower gets a slight bump on exotic resistances, but it is only 8% versus 4%, and Willpower gets 32% Psionic where Bio gets 35% Toxic. On an HP/s Regen value, WP has 72/s, Bio 49/s, With DNA Siphon, 89/s with Parasitic Aura, and 110/s with both active. Bio Armor also gets massive Absorb values, so they have large windows where they're not "taking damage" at all. Bio Armor also isn't forced to stay in combat contsantly, unlike WP whose regen is dependent on being surrounded by enemies. If I take RttC out of the equation (as in the requirement of being in-combat), WP drops to 22 HP/s, and Bio keeps trucking. If I also exclude DNA Siphon and Parasitic Aura as an out-of-combat comparison, Bio is still ahead with 28/s.

Oh, and that's not even including the Adaptation Forms for Bio Armor. Or the fact that Bio has -Dam components to improve survivability. Or the fact it has a Damage Aura. Or the fact that once you include IO's into the equation, Bio no longer needs its prior two adaptations and can rely solely on Offensive alone, meaning it will cause whatever primary it gets paired with to outperform any other potential build. And these are just the Scrapper values.

Edit to add: Somewhat amusing part of all of it is the fact that Parasitic Aura is basically a click Instant Healing with slightly lowered values, requires a to-hit check against enemies, and can't quite by made perma. Get someone to hit a Bio Armor with Frostwork and that's pretty much GG.

Edited by Sir Myshkin

11 hours ago, Mansome said:

This one is a topic that is near and dear to my heart. Regen has been trash since instant healing became a click. The old devs made extreme heavy handed changes due to pvp. They even made things worse for stalkers by not giving them quick recovery when they know they could have put into fast healing. Stalkers had no way to offset the insane end cost of the power since 6 slotting stamina is not an option. That being said it's not like Regen could still tank hamidon. What are need is the Sentinel instant healing so we at least have something otherwise Will power is the new Regen.

Wasn't Regen changed before PvP?

Been trying and trying to get a /Regen build I like that can do in PvE what my DB/WP and now StJ/NIN can do in PvE.

Neither may be the fastest at farms, but both generally did okay at 4/8 setting and could solo AVs, without the use of incarnate abilities.

I feel like in a choice between defence and resistance, I'd rather softcap defence on a regen, because it's a lot less likely you'll take a critically nasty debuff when you dodge everything. Although maybe that attitude is why I can take some seriously nasty damage in iTrials when the numbers roll poorly, but still.

Regen having a very low cooldown T9 power is not to be underestimated if you build for recharge.

even back in regen's glory days, the biggest pitfalls were -endurance, -recharge, and -defense debuffs.  regen still has no protection against any of that.  fortunately there is the ageless incarnate but it doesnt shore up everything.

Pros:

-Technically the best scaling set for parties because no support ATs can offer anywhere near the HP/regen bonuses available, but plenty offer a ton of defense/resists.

**that said i find it very difficult to die with anything if there are a bunch of support ATs in the party.

-Very little downtime and a ton of blue bar

-Can be "fun" to manage a number of clicky powers instead of set toggles and forget about it

Cons:

-the set is virtually impossible to softcap all defense with and you will likely just settle with being able to softcap on 1 purple pill (or waiting on shadowmeld a lot if that is your thing)

-extremely low resistances all around (except toxic)

-integration gives you basic protection against status effects, but none of the more unique protections (as noted above)

-Bio and Willpower are arguably just better.  while regen does win out in overall HP pool and regeneratin, Bio & WP do offer more overall protection while keeping the high regeneration theme.

-the volume of click powers that keep you alive can be annoying, especially if paired with titan weapons (or other damage window oriented sets).

-does not offer any unique offensive skills or bonuses towards damage, recharge, or movement.

overall i just dont see a good reason to pick /regen objectively.  even if you are going for a character theme, willpower will probably fit the bill all the same.

Thanks guys so far for all the feedback this has been emotional!

Points I would like to raise:

* Yes I agree the clicky the clicky the clickies!!!(But this is what keeps me awake at nights lol)

* Regen Old school people - Need to give it another go, reasons......Incarnates.

* Incarnate I use: Rebirth Level 4 / Works really well to get that cool down time sorted for Instant Healing

* Instant Healing - Recharge time on my Scrapper 2 mins and 40 sec(This is massive with incarnates) cool down time is small

Will post up a build to show off some stats but overall I'm so happy with it I would not change.

Thanks all for the time.

My experience is the other way around. Regen is great during the levelling game and falls way behind at 40+.  It has way more sustainability early on, but its lack of either defense or resistance makes it a poor choice for later on.  I remade my fire/regen scrapper here for the specific purpose of farming stuff like Synapse.  She makes merits that buy stuff for other characters.  I did not take Fighting pool on the character; it struck me as lipstick on a pig.  She Frankenslots random stuff that drops. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

I think Regen is decent on paper, but I just personally dislike how it plays. I don't think it gets quite enough survivability for the DPS cost of all the clickies.

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.