Primaries better for Scrappers than Brutes

SaintD

Back in the day I almost exclusively played scrappers, and considered psychotic Scrapperlock to be the most evolved and ideal state of mind.
....then Brutes came out. Alas, my poor scrappers, it was like they all died almost instantly. Tragic.

As fun as Brutes are though, I wouldn't mind possibly getting back to some Scrappers so now and then I can be free of the Rage bar and hit big whenever I want, instead of only after I've done some stretches and a few reps on a couple of minions to warm up. I want to jump into some enemies and ALPHA STRIKE! Not jump into some enemies and ALPHA STRIKE!

Anyway, enough of that. Like the title says, what primaries do you think are currently better suited for Scrappers than Brutes? I figure high damage but high recharge stuff like battle axe. For bonus points, you can probably give an opinion about secondaries too.

The idiot formerly known as Lord Khorak

1 hour ago, SaintD said:

I figure high damage but high recharge stuff like battle axe.

Eh, those work about equally well IMO. The sets that really favor scrappers are the ones with +damage, or the ones where crits are a major advantage. Dual Blades and Kinetic Melee come to mind, as does /Shield. Electric Melee strongly favors big alpha strikes, too.

Scrapper epic pools also have a couple cool things Brutes don't get, like snipes, Water Spout, and Shadow Meld. Using one of those may also help.

I would expect that Titan Weapons would be fairly painful on a Brute, seeing that it has no quick recharge and animating attacks. 

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

1 hour ago, Heraclea said:

I would expect that Titan Weapons would be fairly painful on a Brute, seeing that it has no quick recharge and animating attacks. 

Eh. It's no slower than, say, SS: Rend Armor without Momentum animates as fast as KO Blow and recharges faster, and the next four attacks are faster than everything in SS.

With Fury generation as flattened as it is past about 80, I haven't found slow vs fast sets to make much difference anyway.

The Reverse is of course true-

If you asked which Secondaries are Better for Brutes than Scrappers the answer would be all of them  

Hard to beat that 90% resist cap, better leveling progression for things like SR, and taunt auras added to brute versions. 

• Like 1

I have a regen scrapper who is very useful -- my goto character to run a Synapse -- but I would not enjoy being a regen brute at all.  (A regen tanker would make an archangel cry; fortunately, Pine's to the contrary, there are none.)

• Like 1

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

2 hours ago, Haijinx said:

If you asked which Secondaries are Better for Brutes than Scrappers the answer would be all of them  

Hard to beat that 90% resist cap, better leveling progression for things like SR, and taunt auras added to brute versions. 

Shield Charge and AAO being superior on Scrappers might make it the exception. 

Edited by MunkiLord
  • Thanks 1

scrappers are in a pretty good spot with regard to their ato procs. unless you need something that only the brute offers then a scrap is probably the right choice.

depending how much of the tanker changes end up making it live they might be a better choice for a lot of brute combos than a brute as well imo.

21 hours ago, Heraclea said:

Oh no, Titan Weapons is the opposite of painful on a Brute, it's immensely satisfying.  Once you get your survivability up to where you can take on bigger groups, they'll generate that initial fury for you, and get some recharge bonuses so Build Momentum is up frequently, the slow initial animations aren't that bad, and it's smashy smashy time.

20 hours ago, MunkiLord said:

Shield Charge and AAO being superior on Scrappers might make it the exception. 

Might add ice armor to that as well (not that many seem to play it anymore).  It is another defense set and Scrappers get Icy Bastion which seems more useful than hibernate? 

its definitely the Fotm, but Tw/Bio scrapper will spoil you. It's tough (Albeit a little click heavy). You can take the alpha and then basically nothing is left alive to hit you for much longer. Also, damage aura on a scrapper! I could be mistaken, but i think it is one of or the highest DPS builds in the game. 

Brutes are a bit tougher, no doubt, though i find that especially with incarnates that increase in toughness functionally isn't that useful. The massive damage boost is. My build has entirely damage based incarnates, and i could certainly swap to survival based ones if i wanted to balance that a little bit more, whilst still doing more damage than a brute. 

On 9/28/2019 at 3:26 PM, Haijinx said:

This is true, this is why I re-rolled my Spines/DA scrapper as a brute. 

1 hour ago, Murcielago said:

This is true, this is why I re-rolled my Spines/DA scrapper as a brute. 

With that combo, I'd think it's better on Brutes, due to two damage toggles.

Scrappers don't crit, at least with the Armor ones, can't recall with Quills.

6 hours ago, BrandX said:

Is that new, because I recall the damage aura in the armors not critting on live.

You're right, Quills crits so frequently I thought they both were, but Icicles never crits 😞

edit: but on the other hand Icicles does 40% more damage than Quills, so unless there's a long streak of crits Icicles still does more damage?

Quills deals 19.07 points of lethal damage to Vortex Cor Leonis Fire.
You land a critical hit with your Quills for an extra 19.07 points of lethal damage!
Quills deals 19.07 points of lethal damage to Equinox Parasite.
Quills deals 19.07 points of lethal damage to Galaxy.
Quills deals 19.07 points of lethal damage to Vortex Cor Leonis Grenade.
Quills deals 19.07 points of lethal damage to Vortex Cor Leonis Sonic.
Quills deals 19.07 points of lethal damage to Vortex Cor Leonis Fire.
Quills deals 19.07 points of lethal damage to Vortex Cor Leonis Force.
Quills deals 19.07 points of lethal damage to Vortex Cor Leonis Force.
You land a critical hit with your Quills for an extra 19.07 points of lethal damage!
Quills deals 19.07 points of lethal damage to Equinox Parasite.
Quills deals 19.07 points of lethal damage to Vortex Cor Leonis Adjutant.
Icicles deals 27.34 points of lethal damage to Vortex Cor Leonis Fire.
Icicles deals 27.34 points of lethal damage to Galaxy.
Icicles deals 27.34 points of lethal damage to Vortex Cor Leonis Grenade.
Icicles deals 27.34 points of lethal damage to Vortex Cor Leonis Sonic.
Icicles deals 27.34 points of lethal damage to Vortex Cor Leonis Fire.
Icicles deals 27.34 points of lethal damage to Vortex Cor Leonis Force.
Icicles deals 27.34 points of lethal damage to Vortex Cor Leonis Grenade.
Icicles deals 27.34 points of lethal damage to Vortex Cor Leonis Force.
Icicles deals 27.34 points of lethal damage to Equinox Parasite.
Icicles deals 27.34 points of lethal damage to Vortex Cor Leonis Adjutant.
Icicles missed!

Edited by ninja surprise

I suspect it relates to the fact that Quills is a primary power while Icicles is a secondary.

On 9/28/2019 at 3:15 PM, Heraclea said:

I have a regen scrapper who is very useful -- my goto character to run a Synapse -- but I would not enjoy being a regen brute at all.  (A regen tanker would make an archangel cry; fortunately, Pine's to the contrary, there are none.)

That's a bit strange as I thought regen was actually better on archtypes with Higher HP

4 minutes ago, Bloodofcaine said:

That's a bit strange as I thought regen was actually better on archtypes with Higher HP

The main thing a tanker needs to do is to be able to take the burst damage.  Regen, with no defense and scant resistance, is not well suited to the task.  You might say that you can make up the differences with IO bonuses, but you're starting from way behind whichever way you go there.  Literally any other primary would start you out from a better place.