New badge tracker

KeyboardKitsune

@KeyboardKitsuneThis tracker is awesome.  Moving off the spreadsheet into an online DB is so much easier.

Thank you for taking the time to do this.  I'm going to go like a bunch of your posts so you get some more "street cred" for this!

• Thanks 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

5 hours ago, AboveTheChemist said:

Can you tell if it counts towards the badge total in the player info window? Thanks for the screenshot, too, I needed the icon/badge text for that one (even if it ends up being removed).

It does not count toward the badge total in the player info window. I ended up recounting all my badges in game manually(twice lol) because I thought I was missing a badge. I narrowed it down to the accolades and that’s how I saw that it was missing from the player info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, slyboom said:

So this is amazing! Just tested it out.! Well done!

FYI, you were 100% right on the other sheet. Flames of Prometheus does not count as a badge.

I just triple checked and it doesn't show up under accolades when you look under your player info.

It's nice to see but you might want to make that un-countable like the other sheet 🙂

image.thumb.png.a4b98a2d798846bb2f449a1a865d91ff.png

Ah, excellent, thank you!! That's a pretty definitive answer on the whole [Flames of Annoyance] situation.
It shall be purged!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, justicebeliever said:

@KeyboardKitsuneThis tracker is awesome.  Moving off the spreadsheet into an online DB is so much easier.

Is it an online database, though? If I clear my browser cache my saved badge info is gone.

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

If I had my own webspace could I run this from there? Saving badge/character info not in my cache?

Please forgive any obvious ignorance, I've no idea how these things actually work 😆

Edited by Lunchmoney

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

As it is now, it will always save to your browser's local storage. You can use the export button to save it to a file and re-import it. I know that there is some talk about moving it to a cloud based app if there's enough interest/time.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Stray said:

As it is now, it will always save to your browser's local storage. You can use the export button to save it to a file and re-import it. I know that there is some talk about moving it to a cloud based app if there's enough interest/time.

I have interest...I switch between 2 computers, frequently, from different locations.  The import/export feature is only useful if I use it every time and save it to a shared location (Onedrive in this case), and then import every time to ensure the changes are copied over.

It's still better than the spreadsheet, because updating several of them with new badges was a much bigger pain.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

9 hours ago, Lunchmoney said:

If I had my own webspace could I run this from there? Saving badge/character info not in my cache?

Please forgive any obvious ignorance, I've no idea how these things actually work 😆

As @Stray mentioned, it's all stored locally, and uncomfortably ephemeral (depending on how often the user likes to clear their cache). That's the biggest caveat with the current approach.

I added the import/export as a stopgap to help with this particular issue, but I'll admit it's pretty crap as far as usability is concerned.

It comes with a ton of advantages over a cloud platform (for the developer anyway); no worrying about code injection, data leaks, XSS, backups... in fact, 99% of the stuff I'd normally have to worry about are non-issues for a client-space application like this... so it was dead easy to build and deploy.

I would like to move this to something with online storage, but there's a bit more ramp-up time in getting that up and running, and I've just started a massive project at work that is sapping my time and motivation, so it probably won't be coming in the next 3 months or so.

Now, as to your question. Yep... it's a little bit of work, but it should be fairly easy to do. In fact, I should make some changes to the character service down the line so that it more reliably deals with asynchronous calls https://github.com/n15g/badger/blob/master/src/app/character/character-db.service.ts, this would allow you to replace the calls to localstorage with XHR calls to a backend store, like Firebase for instance, to store the data there instead.

If there's enough interest, I'll look at making the storage mechanism pluggable... so it can be switched out more easily if people do actually want to deploy it themselves. The problem is that server-side-storage usually brings other concerns, like authentication and authorization... things the app has no concept of right now.

If anyone has a really high level villian, preferably veteran level 99+ but anything would be a help, the last big chunk of missing badge data is the villain text for the veteran level badges. A screenshot of as many of the villain-side veteran badges as possible, showing the in-game badge text, would be greatly appreciated. See this thread (the OP is updated) for more info.

Edit: Found what I needed in the game .pigg files!

Edited by AboveTheChemist

I find this to be great just that I still have to write down individually what each of my characters has earned especially so far.

It is a shame that the old defunct CIT did not keep what badges I had received back then.

However that being said, this  is a huge leap.

This still does not automatically record right from the game as to what badges you have gotten like CIT used to do.  Otherwise my character Amalgamite would be showing his badges instead of "0" badges.

2 minutes ago, Elemento said:

I find this to be great just that I still have to write down individually what each of my characters has earned especially so far.

It is a shame that the old defunct CIT did not keep what badges I had received back then.

However that being said, this  is a huge leap.

This still does not automatically record right from the game as to what badges you have gotten like CIT used to do.  Otherwise my character Amalgamite would be showing his badges instead of "0" badges.

I was actually looking in to this at one point with the rebirth of Herostats and such. Unfortunately, because of the new compilation process and the aggressive optimizations that came with it, it doesn't appear that we can readily read the badge list from RAM like what used to be possible. There is still the chance of doing it based on chat logs, but that isn't ideal.

Eventually they want to include a pseudo-public API that should allow this sort of thing to be possible.

14 minutes ago, Stray said:

I was actually looking in to this at one point with the rebirth of Herostats and such. Unfortunately, because of the new compilation process and the aggressive optimizations that came with it, it doesn't appear that we can readily read the badge list from RAM like what used to be possible. There is still the chance of doing it based on chat logs, but that isn't ideal.

Eventually they want to include a pseudo-public API that should allow this sort of thing to be possible.

I'm hoping for that API... It's one of the big things that'd push me to move to a cloud-backed approach.
Could create leaderboards... badge hunting seasons... all sorts of cool stuff if there was a way to verify the badge list.

5 minutes ago, KeyboardKitsune said:

I'm hoping for that API... It's one of the big things that'd push me to move to a cloud-backed approach.
Could create leaderboards... badge hunting seasons... all sorts of cool stuff if there was a way to verify the badge list.

My only concern is that it sounds like it will be a client API instead of a public API that accesses the server data, so theoretically someone could taint the data with enough effort, meaning I'm not sure if guaranteed verification would be possible.

Maybe they'll sign the requests and give us a way to verify the signature. That would be nice.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi, total brain fade here hence this dumb question alert!

I just cannot work out how to get my alts Export data up so that I can copy/paste into the import box in the tracker!

In an earlier post you say there is an export button on the character screen but I see none. I see a move server and a delete and a rename and a create new alt button but no Export.

Am I missing the bleeding obvious or maybe in the wrong character screen?

Thoughts and ideas will all be very gratefully received.

Thanks muchly

1 hour ago, Jacktar said:

In an earlier post you say there is an export button on the character screen but I see none. I see a move server and a delete and a rename and a create new alt button but no Export.

Am I missing the bleeding obvious or maybe in the wrong character screen?

On the top ribbon, click 'Characters', then click the character you want to export. You should see a screen similar to that shown below. The export character button should be front and center.

badger_export.png

• Thanks 1

Also, Thorn Robber (and presumably Thorn Thief and Thorn Usurper) are out of place. I only have Robber, but it's at the very top of my listing. Sadly, I don't have any of the Patron badges, nor Recluse's Betrayer, so I don't know where exactly it belongs, but it's at least before Ex-Marshal.

• Thanks 1

Pinnacle refugee. Powers and math guy.

1 hour ago, BillyMailman said:

I've found one badge that's still listed out of order. You have Bailout Hero after Dignified Combatant in the Achievement badges, but my in-game listing has it right after Incarnate Rival, before Drone Protector.

1 hour ago, BillyMailman said:

Also, Thorn Robber (and presumably Thorn Thief and Thorn Usurper) are out of place. I only have Robber, but it's at the very top of my listing. Sadly, I don't have any of the Patron badges, nor Recluse's Betrayer, so I don't know where exactly it belongs, but it's at least before Ex-Marshal.

There's a fix in for these now, but @KeyboardKitsunehas to approve before they will go "live". There were some educated guesses made on some badges, so keep posting any you find out of order.

• Like 1