Allow adding notes to characters in the character select screen

DougGraves

I have a lot of alts.  I cannot remember which one is waiting for purchases from the AH to make an IO set, which one still needs to do Posi 1, etc.

It would be great if we could save some text notes for characters in the character selection screen so you could comment on what a character needed to do or some other note when browsing which character to play.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DougGraves said:

I have a lot of alts.  I cannot remember which one is waiting for purchases from the AH to make an IO set, which one still needs to do Posi 1, etc.

It would be great if we could save some text notes for characters in the character selection screen so you could comment on what a character needed to do or some other note when browsing which character to play.

Agreed.  I've also always wanted to have the "XP Wheel" show on the selection screen so I can see who is close to level when I have only an hour or so to play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wouldn't this be served better as an external tool? Something that somehow pulled character data, but also allowed you to do things like set goals or make a shopping list of sorts (what I think is being asked)?

• Like 2

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

5 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

Wouldn't this be served better as an external tool? Something that somehow pulled character data, but also allowed you to do things like set goals or make a shopping list of sorts (what I think is being asked)?

If you simply added a little text field associated to each character on the login screen, players could use it however they wished.  The problem with a 3rd party add-on is that it wouldn't necessarily travel with you from one computer to another, and if it interacts with the game to pull game data, it could pose a security risk.

I would love it!  I have goals for my toons and also specific playstyles (Baby Hero can't talk to contacts because they dont understand what she is saying!).  I can't remember all that..I am old!  Right now I have a spiral notebook and pencil by my chair so I can keep notes lol.  It would be better if I could type the notes into the character select screen so it wouldn't matter if I lose (or more likely spill coffee on) my paper and most importantly so I dont have to try to read my own handwriting!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/24/2019 at 12:40 AM, biostem said:

If you simply added a little text field associated to each character on the login screen, players could use it however they wished.  The problem with a 3rd party add-on is that it wouldn't necessarily travel with you from one computer to another, and if it interacts with the game to pull game data, it could pose a security risk.

An Armory/Armoury (WoW) like web App, that could read the Bio of the character. Either make the Bio directly accessible to the Character Select, or add an additional text field that works in the same way. Up to the player how/if it's used. Then it can be accessed by any device that can play the game.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 7:40 PM, biostem said:

Not really as that's how things like HeroStats, etc worked back in the day. The data's there for a reason and none of it is RL user data.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

22 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

Not really as that's how things like HeroStats, etc worked back in the day. The data's there for a reason and none of it is RL user data.

I was more referring to the fact that you have this 3rd party program running, which could potentially capture data regarding your login.  I suppose if you only started it up *after* you already logged in, there wouldn't be as much of a concern.

True, but it also boils down to how much you trust said dev. In this case, I'm talking exclusively about the apps listed on the forums (Mids, etc).

Something similar that I've wished for is character notes in the SG roster. Like a short, simple "Notes" field. WoW has this in its guild roster UI. It's handy for when people have multiple alts in the same guild/SG; the Notes field can be used to indicate who the alts belong to. One purpose for using it that way is to avoid situations where the leader wants to boot people who haven't logged in for a long time, but they want to avoid booting the lesser-played alts of otherwise active members.

On 10/27/2019 at 11:39 AM, RikOz said:

Something similar that I've wished for is character notes in the SG roster. Like a short, simple "Notes" field. 

Related - I can add a note to a global friend but I can't figure out how to see the notes I've added.  I'm sure there is a way to do it, I just cannot figure it out and never think to look it up out of the game.

17 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

Related - I can add a note to a global friend but I can't figure out how to see the notes I've added.  I'm sure there is a way to do it, I just cannot figure it out and never think to look it up out of the game.

Click "add note" again and it'll show you what you wrote.  If you gave them a star rating in the note window it appears over their characters' heads when you see them in-game.

I would also like a brief "notes" line for the SG display if it's possible without too much code-hassle.  I know our volunteer team is surprisingly good with the code but why not minimize what they have to fiddle with? 🙂 

I have a great third-party add-on for keeping track of all kinds of information about my characters.  It's called Microsoft Excel.  It's a bit pricey, but way more versatile than my previous one, called Notepad.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer