Bring Back Galaxy City from release

I think it would be best not to create continuity issues intentionally. Instead, let's assume that servers will be around for years to come without incident and community modding/development can take things forward with new story arcs and other content: would it not be best to keep moving forward?

In such case, I propose not simply restoring the Galaxy City map from 2004 as a starting zone competing with a refurbished Atlas Park, but a "New Galaxy City" project, building up a new, much larger, zone map with elements of the original Galaxy mixed in. Create a new story to go with it -- how it was zoned near the ruins of the old Galaxy as the first new borough/suburb expanding  outside the War Walls of Paragon -- maybe new Praetorian technology is being used for defense against alien invasion, similar to the invisible boundaries in the Praetorian maps.

It could still be plugged in as an option when speaking to Coyote in Outbreak, same as the original Galaxy City, and Back Alley Brawler could take up the training position there instead of standing around a rarely-visited part of Atlas looking bored and pounding on the occasional passing Hellion.

• Like 3

In such case, I propose not simply restoring the Galaxy City map from 2004 as a starting zone competing with a refurbished Atlas Park, but a "New Galaxy City" project, building up a new, much larger, zone map with elements of the original Galaxy mixed in. Create a new story to go with it -- how it was zoned near the ruins of the old Galaxy as the first new borough/suburb expanding  outside the War Walls of Paragon -- maybe new Praetorian technology is being used for defense against alien invasion, similar to the invisible boundaries in the Praetorian maps.

yes please, i mean it has been years since Galaxy City was destroyed, the fight with the evil Alien monster things and the reconstruction work should be over.

and as some kind of tribute, famouse RP characters from the time of the live server who didnt came back should be NPCs (trainer, quest contacts, etc...)

back to the Zukunft

@Jkwak

I agree with the above restoration as well as building in the spaces between zones. This Khallisti Wharf place looks neat (and very familiar), why not use it as a new starting zone if GC is too much work.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

I had not expected to see requests on this scale. I mean, I'm not against the idea that the folks who just turned back on the lights might continue to develop CoH in whatever ways delight them and keep them interested in the project... but it never even occurred to me that they might do something on the scale of a new/rebuilt zone with storylines etc.

Svengjuk, Formerly Alice, Empty Man, EM Riptide, Silver Mouse, and many more... SG: Hero Dawn

I had not expected to see requests on this scale. I mean, I'm not against the idea that the folks who just turned back on the lights might continue to develop CoH in whatever ways delight them and keep them interested in the project... but it never even occurred to me that they might do something on the scale of a new/rebuilt zone with storylines etc.

The code is available to us. The only limits are our time, imagination, and expertise.

• Like 1
I'm out.

It made sense I guess, back in the day, to "revamp" Galaxy City. As the game matured, there was a lot less demand for lower-level content and correspondingly higher demand for higher-level content. Having two newbie zones was not efficient any more, so they closed one of them.

I understand why they did it, but I didn't really like it. GC was my preferred zone to send my own new characters to, instead of Atlas Park. I preferred the grittier, working-class vibe of GC.

(It would have been nice when the Homecoming servers launched to have the old Galaxy City back for a while, if that could have been arranged somehow. The crowding in Atlas Park was pretty insane those first few days. An extra newbie zone to spread out the mass influx would maybe have made things a little smoother. Oh well. In the end, something like that might have been more trouble than it was worth to get working, who knows.)

But now, I don't know if it would be beneficial at this point to devote limited dev resources to bringing back GC as a newbie zone. I mean, continuity-wise, they could just say the meteor/Shivan/whatever situation has been handled (great work, non-Outbreak level one heroes), give the buildings and streets in GC some visible damage/cracks/craters/etc, put in a mix of new and old Galaxy City story-arcs and missions, and open it back up. It could work from a continuity standpoint, but it would be a pretty major content-development undertaking, possibly beyond the scope of the Homecoming project. The Homecoming team probably has plenty of more pressing concerns to look at-- actual new content, revamped zones, etc, is probably a long, long way off at best.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later

I agree bring back GC, but as a Hazard zone.  If you really need another newbie zone, either create a new one, or convert Outbreak from a tutorial to a newbie zone (of course they'd have to give it a new name).  Storyline wise just say that the PPD and heroes have finally cured the Contaminated and the 'Hot Zone' has been repaired and the quarantine has been lifted.  Unknown to the PPD some Contaminated have managed to escape into the sewer system and will still plague the new zone.

• Like 1

The code is available to us. The only limits are our time, imagination, and expertise.

And coffee.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Make destroyed galaxy city a new incarnate zone with another incarnate story line about fighting evil space jell-o. :U

• Like 1

"Titan/Bio scrappers are the stealthiest toons in the game."

"How's that possible? They don't have any inherent stealth and you'd never take concealment pool powers on them!"

"You see; they're perfect at stealth because nobody will notice if there's nobody to notice."

I'd just like to see an alternate starting zone again...

Is Praetoria not enough?  ;)

Or Mercy Island?  We do technically have three starting areas; congestion would drop if people would use them all regularly.

But I remember it being the same way on live before CoV/Going Rogue launched - most people piled into Atlas Park, while only a handful went to GC.  Adding GC back as another starting zone will probably not have much impact.

Now if the goal is just to add a little more variety at the lower levels, then I'm all for that.  CoX is a game that practically encourages altitis, and HC even moreso, considering the 1000 character slots/server we have available.  I can't speak for everyone, but I know that I tend to spend more time in the lower levels than anywhere else, as many alts I try out don't get much past the 15-20 range, so more content at the low end is always a plus.

B;ackbird is right.  80% or 90% of new heroes went through AP, not GC.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

I too always started in Galaxy because..

1. I'm an introvert and I like to go to places with less people
  2. I was using an old computer that simply could NOT handle all the folks in Atlas park be it a costume contest, RP'ing you name it.  Galaxy City was my home!
  3. It was grittier and more realistic
  4. You could start slugging it out with Hellions and Vahz immediately
  5. I loved the writing for that zone
  6. Did I mention that I don't like people? lol
Edited by Tater Todd
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Tater Todd said:

I too always started in Galaxy because..

1. I'm introvert and I like to go to places with less people

(boldface added for emphasis)

A bit of an introvert myself, I can definitely appreciate this.  However, it is also one of the key reasons for not maintaining/bringing back Galaxy City; it just did not get as much use.  While a few people here have stated how they always used GC, "the plural of anecdote is not data" as they say.  The fact is that it was a much less travelled zone, and as such it is difficult to justify the effort it would take to bring it back.

• Like 2