How is this allowed to happen?!

EmperorSteele

I see stuff like this all the time, not this extreme but WIDE fluctuations in the price of some items. I think it has to do with the AH charging you a commission of something like 10% of the asking price when you post an item. Posting an item for 10,000,000 will therefore cost you 1,000,000 just to put it up for sale.

If you post it for 10 inf., though, and the lowest bid out there is 10,000,000 then your item will sell for 10,000,000 and you pay a commission of 1 inf. If, however, the lowest bid is 1,000,000 then you get 1,000,000. I suppose this leads some idiots out there to post things for low prices (like 10) hoping to slip through paying the commission of 1 inf. for a 10,000,000 item.

The problem is that if someone with an ounce of patients decides to post a bid for that same item for 10 and they just wait long enough they get a 10,000,000 influence item for 10.

• Like 1

One theoretical idea for how this could happen is a matter of "sorting" which bids get first chance to fill.  Mind you, this is PURE theorycrafting on my part.

So the basic notion is that if a bid to buy EXACTLY MATCHES the sell price, then that bid gets "first dibs" on being fulfilled.  It's only AFTER there are no matching buy/sell numbers that the algorithm starts checking highest current bid numbers to determine if the highest bid is larger than the requested sell price.  Since most high priced items "rarely" have exact matches for bid and sell prices, this exact matching rarely appears ... but is still theoretically possible.

• Thanks 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

11 minutes ago, NNDeepdish said:

I place bids for low inf amounts quite a bit to create sort of a "shopping list" so i dont have to go back and search for the IO again later.

This. For the low low price of 1 Inf and one market slot, I get to keep track of what I'm looking for next.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

One theoretical idea for how this could happen is a matter of "sorting" which bids get first chance to fill.  Mind you, this is PURE theorycrafting on my part.

So the basic notion is that if a bid to buy EXACTLY MATCHES the sell price, then that bid gets "first dibs" on being fulfilled.  It's only AFTER there are no matching buy/sell numbers that the algorithm starts checking highest current bid numbers to determine if the highest bid is larger than the requested sell price.  Since most high priced items "rarely" have exact matches for bid and sell prices, this exact matching rarely appears ... but is still theoretically possible.

Interesting theory but I cannot imagine it is true.  The last 5 of everything would be littered with 1s and 5s.

Who run Bartertown?

37 minutes ago, NNDeepdish said:

I place bids for low inf amounts quite a bit to create sort of a "shopping list" so i dont have to go back and search for the IO again later.

Lately I find I’m buying more and more off my shopping list at my shopping list prices.  I was pricing out the Mako’s Bite complex and eventually ended up with 5-10 of each piece at 5 inf.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

11 hours ago, quixoteprog said:

I see stuff like this all the time, not this extreme but WIDE fluctuations in the price of some items. I think it has to do with the AH charging you a commission of something like 10% of the asking price when you post an item. Posting an item for 10,000,000 will therefore cost you 1,000,000 just to put it up for sale.

If you post it for 10 inf., though, and the lowest bid out there is 10,000,000 then your item will sell for 10,000,000 and you pay a commission of 1 inf. If, however, the lowest bid is 1,000,000 then you get 1,000,000. I suppose this leads some idiots out there to post things for low prices (like 10) hoping to slip through paying the commission of 1 inf. for a 10,000,000 item.

This is not how the listing/sale fee works.

The AH charges a 5% non-refundable listing fee for any item listed, with a minimum fee of 5 inf. If that item sells, it charges a sale fee of 10% of the SALE price, minus the listing fee that was already paid for that item.

Using the example quoted, an item posted for 10 inf will pay the minimum 5 inf listing fee. If that item sells for 10,000,000, the sale fee is 1,000,000 minus the 5 inf listing fee already paid, for a final sale fee of 999,995. If the same item were listed at 1,000,000, the listing fee would have been 50,000 and with a sale price of 10,000,000 inf, the final sale fee would have been (1,000,000 - 50,000) = 950,000 inf.

Regarding the OP, my guess would be the display glitch, but it would not shock me if it was an actual bid.

Edited by AboveTheChemist
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EmperorSteele said:

What shocks me is not that someone would bid 10, but that it would be the highest available bid. Out of the roughly 90 or so. What, were the other 90 bids all "1" and there's really no demand at all for these?!

Sucks for whoever posted for 5 hoping to make a few quick millions...

It is trivial to post 500 bids at 10 for something, anything.  Costs you 5000 inf and you can do it 5 minutes out of Outbreak.  And as a side bonus, it keeps other speculators away since they (erroneously) assume that there is real demand for the item.

The dominator ATOs are really not very good as a set, and are mostly useful as being one converter away from being another ATO set.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

18 hours ago, JasonZZ said:

This. For the low low price of 1 Inf and one market slot, I get to keep track of what I'm looking for next.

It's also helpful to deal with the Can't Find Price History bug. You've got the bid in your market UI, you can click on "Find" right away and force a refresh.

7 hours ago, Hedgefund said:

The 10 inf record is undoubtedly a result of the market interface bug.  If someone wants to say they bought a Winter-o or sold one for that price, then I'll believe it.

I’m pretty sure I still have lowball bids on all winter O’s for more than ten influence so I’d be very interested if someone claimed this.