Knockback Attack! What cool stuff could KB do?

What would you want to see added to strong KB powers?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Choose any that you'd like:

• Knockback Powers simply get buffed in raw damage output to show their power
    • Have a separate global damage proc associated with KB that scales with the Mag / Chance somehow
    • Knockback carrys an associated secondary mez (such as a stun) past a certain magnitude
    • Increase the animation for foes getting back up based on magnitude
    • Have knockback apply a debuff to enemies with the theme of them being "prone"
    • Other (share your ideas!)
    • N/A

On 2/7/2020 at 3:00 PM, Galaxy Brain said:

If the KB damage is a proc, it won't be effected by further +Damage boosts outside of +Knockback effects you somehow aquire. 

Interesting idea up to the point above which gave me a pause.

I was naively thinking that the idea would allow slotting for +dam OR +kb and boost damage in different ways, which would solve the slotting for knockback at the cost of damage issue.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Just now, Troo said:

Interesting idea up to the point above which gave me a pause.

I was naively thinking that the idea would allow slotting for +dam OR +kb and boost damage in different ways, which would solve the slotting for knockback at the cost of damage issue.

What I mean by that is that the KB damage is seperate from normal damage. If you use Build Up, it won't effect the KB damage since it is solely attached to KB magnitude 

got it! that would also take care of Power Boost.

okay, I'm in.

Edited by Troo
  • Like 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Interesting food for thought. Since knockback and knockdown is all an order of magnitude and not really separate functions, doesn't this mean if you are flying way up in the air and hit a foe with air superiority they would take massive damage when they hit the ground? 

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

11 minutes ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

Interesting food for thought. Since knockback and knockdown is all an order of magnitude and not really separate functions, doesn't this mean if you are flying way up in the air and hit a foe with air superiority they would take massive damage when they hit the ground? 

Depends how far away from the ground they are.

55 minutes ago, Blackfeather said:

I'm pretty sure Air Superiority inflicts -Fly, not Knockback.

it may say -fly but it does an almost guaranteed knockdown knockup (one of my fav attacks)

Edited by Troo
minor correction

Assuming you actually knock somebody out of the sky, sure that makes sense. The times where that is relevant are pretty small anyways so sure 🙂

Im fiddling with the formula on my end to see if accounting for the base chance / target cap for the knock powers makes sense or not... what do you all think?

Using Nova as an example, that has 100% chance to knock with high mag to upwards of 16 targets. With the current formula, that is a bonus 186.94 damage per target with 0 enhancements for blasters, bumping it from 250.24 > 437.18 damage (~75% damage increase) if you are able to yeet people. This can be pushed to +514.09 bonus damage with KB enhancement, for a total of 764.33 damage.

For reference, a lvl 55 minion has 437 hp exactly.... (a lvl 50 has 430.8, per paragon wiki)

What we could do then is alter the formula a bit so:

KB bonus = ((MAG * 10) * (1.5 - KB Chance)) * AT Mod

This favors KB% chances that are less than 50% with bonus output, and chances above 50% with lesser output.

New Bonus = 93.47 base (37.35% boost), 257.04 max enh (102.72% boost). Total damage -> 343.71 - 507.28

Likewise, a power like Power Blast would go from 18.7 -> 22.5 bonus damage due to having a <50% chance.

Edited by Galaxy Brain
  • Like 1

I'm now curious and weirdly piqued to find out just how Uber KB my energy blaster can be. I will now rebuild him exclusively for KB and stun.

Will I do damage?! Meh, who gives a bajeebus! Will he bring dreams of graceful floating MOBs to life?

Will he bestow upon friend and foe the drunken shambling stupor of a Friday night at 2am?

Oh yes, my dear sweet summer children, yes he will!

Fear the KB! I will be coming to a team near you!

Now playing in cinemas city-wide!

4 hours ago, Lines said:

A combo of Knockup, chase the target and then knockdown with Air Superiority would be the most superhero goddamn thing if it were an effective tactic.

Can you apply knockback to an enemy in the middle of the knock-up animation?  Because epic knockup followed by epic knockback would be, well.  Epic.

Never, not here or on live, have I wanted a suggestion thread to become reality as much as I want this one.

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

• 2 weeks later

i cant wait to slot knockout blow with a KB set then teleport after the foe in the air then use air superiority to make them crash back into the ground for an instant KO. plz add little crater animation when they hit the ground from a certain speed or distance......mmm-mmm good!

• Like 1

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

• City Council

Haven't seen it mentioned but instead of simply buffing damage for KB magnitude, one thing I've been wanting to experiment with is to apply bonus damage if a knocked target hits something, based on how fast they were going when they slammed into the wall, etc. Kind of like fall damage but not strictly up and down. Obviously this is just an idea and I'm not sure how feasible it is due to balance concerns and figuring out the right amount of damage, but I can't deny it would feel epic.

Unrelated to that: How would people feel about Air Superiority's KnockUp being changed to a high-magnitude Knockdown?

• Like 8

@Number Six I care about the net result at the end, not how you get there. If you can make Knock* "feel more epic" and/or have a greater utility so that it seems like less of a liability to those that just want to "group and AoE", then however you can work that magic to get there, I'll be happy with it.

• Like 3
I'm out.

• City Council
6 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

What does a high magnitude knockdown do?  Does it bounce ever higher?

Is that even a thing?  I thought knockdown was less then 1 mag knockBack.

Overcomes KB protection and applies higher downward velocity when used on flying targets.

It's not a mechanic that exists in the current live build -- it was a hypothetical question. Wasn't sure how many people used it on the ground (where the KU bounce has more of an effect) versus the fun of swatting down airborne targets.