What Tools Do You Want?

_NOPE_

What Tool Would YOU Most Like To Have?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. There have been many ideas for various tools floating around that are CoH related, but aren't actual in-game changes. So, what tools would you like to have access to that you don't already have?

• Out of Game Mission Architect Mission Builder
    • See Project Spelunker to fruition
    • Online City of Data Replacement
    • Badge Tracker
    • Web Based Build Planner
    • Game Sound Silencer/Replacer
    • Combat Log Parser ala HeroStats
    • Build Suggester

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/10/20 at 07:24 AM

Now that I've got the Dev Tracker about as good as I think I can get it, I'm looking for a new side project to work on. With HC proper being tied up in the negotiations and not taking any code submissions, I think the best place where I can help is to make some more ancillary tools for the community. Here's some ideas that I had or others suggested, but I wanted to get all of your opinions, because what I think might be useful and interesting might not be what you all think is, and I'd hate to waste my time working on something that only *I* will end up using:

• Bring back Project Spelunker and see it to fruition.
  • An offline Mission Architect Mission Builder, where you can create and edit mission files through a basic non-pretty (I'm not a graphic artist, so I really can't make things pretty) user interface (UI).
  • An application with a UI that allows you to, in a fairly easy way, silence or replace specific game sounds.
  • ???
  • Profit!

Or what other ideas do you have? Please note my limitations as a programmer, I can't make things look pretty, I can only make them functional. I'm no artist.

Edited by The Philotic Knight
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
I'm out.

An interesting tool would be one that gave you build suggestions. Put in your AT and power sets along with some basic other info, like heavy defense, and spit out build options.

• Thanks 1

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

4 hours ago, EmmySky said:

A Mids type planner on my phone.  I know someone was working on one a while back but havent heard anything in months.  Really dont know if that's in your wheelhouse either.  

3 hours ago, tafilr said:

A Mids planner that is web-based. so basically, it's device agnostic.

Yeah, I'd thought about that, but... With the game being PC Only, how would you get the build from the phone to the PC? 

• Like 1
I'm out.

6 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:

Not that I don't mind spelunking for sfx files, it can be daunting at times. Anything to make it easier for the general player.

🙂

• Like 2

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

As certain people from the internets have taught me to say:  "Windmill Slam" for the Architect program.  

Forget about fussing over the UI!  The thing can look like OpenOffice's Calc just so long as I have something to parse the mission files in a less cluttered, chunky-bubbles UI than the in-game Mission Architect stuff.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:

Yeah, I'd thought about that, but... With the game being PC Only, how would you get the build from the phone to the PC? 

I would use my eyeballs and input it manually 😝....or I can Bluetooth or tether transfer files from one to the other.  Mostly I would just be planning builds while at work so I can learn sets and procs better.

Also, a web-based planner so device is a moot point is a good idea too.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:

This is WAY overdue.  Certain sounds in this game are outright deafening, and no, turning down the volume EVEN FURTHER is not a viable solution, so STOP SUGGESTING IT!

I am sick to death of being accused of having my volume too high when any other game on my PC would be inaudible at the settings I play CoH on.   If your idea of fun involves damaging people's hearing by spamming Foot Stomp or whatever, you are on my shitlist.  If that offends you, you deserve it.

Edited by Black Zot
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tafilr said:

A Mids planner that is web-based. so basically, it's device agnostic.

4 hours ago, FallenHero said:

An online Mids would be my first choice (and would be amazing).

We've needed an online web page based build planner since 2007.

• Thanks 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

6 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:

I'm... not following. How do you copy and paste from a phone to a PC? Is that some functionality that I'm not aware of? Is there an app for that™?

You can tap/hold to get selection sliders on your phone, then you adjust for what you wish to copy. From there you can paste it into any number of text apps on your phone, connect phone to computer or just share it to yourself. Or you can drop it onto your computer if you have that set up. There are several methods available.

• Thanks 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

1 minute ago, Redlynne said:

LONG since abandon-wared.

Wow really? I guess I had no clue because frankly I never used build planners. Well, I suppose I could make a web based one. It'd be a good way for me to grow my ASP.NET skills. I could start with a basic one that ONLY has the powers themselves listed without the numbers (because the only numbers I'd have access to would be the ones from Leandro's original leak, which I'm sure are out of date). And then maybe some day we can get HC proper to provide an API to obtain power data... 

• Like 1
I'm out.

I would love *LOVE!!!* to see an updated and working City of Data again.

• Like 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

2 minutes ago, The Philotic Knight said:

Well, I suppose I could make a web based one. It'd be a good way for me to grow my ASP.NET skills. I could start with a basic one that ONLY has the powers themselves listed without the numbers (because the only numbers I'd have access to would be the ones from Leandro's original leak, which I'm sure are out of date). And then maybe some day we can get HC proper to provide an API to obtain power data... 

Here's a tip for that project.

You want it to function akin to (although obviously not exactly like) THIS KIND OF THING that was used for World of Warcraft.  The basic idea is that the "code hash" for the build gets incorporated into the URL dynamically as you edit the build.  That way, all you have to do is provide a link to the build, with the correct code hash incorporated inside the URL and the link takes you to the build on the web page for the build planner.

Now, obviously the UI would necessarily be somewhat different, since the Talent Trees for World of Warcraft were rather simplistic and weren't computing throughput performances of actual builds ... but the coding of that legacy build planner ought to give you some tips, tricks and pointers for the kind of functionality you'd want to have as an end user when making a build plan for City of Heroes on a web page.

I would honestly recommend building for an SO only build planner, just to keep it simple enough to test out the features and functionality, but deliberately design the coding for it to be extensible into HO slotting, Accolades, Inventions, Incarnates and so on as "modules" that can be plugged into the basic architecture of the web page.  I'd even go so far as to say it would probably be best to just start small in order to get everything set up and learn how you want to organize your data and coding by doing a testbed on a single archetype with maybe a single primary/secondary and maybe just 1 pool so as to proof and test everything before extending outwards from there in a deliberately organized fashion that allows you to add data and functionality as you're able to complete it.

Perk: Easy to Modify (+10)

Document what you're doing so that if you get volunteers to help you, you don't have to do everything yourself.

• Thanks 1

IifneyR.gif

Because my skills lie in a completely different direction.  I know what is theoretically possible, because I've seen it done (elsewhere) ... but have absolutely no idea how to do it myself, or even where to get started.  Just because I know how to drive a car doesn't mean I have the slightest idea how to construct one (from scratch), let alone what goes into making one.

• Like 1

IifneyR.gif