Never ran a Controller

Snarky

As stated i have never ran a ‘troller. I ran a grav energy Perma dom back on Live for a month or two before stripping it of the ton of enhancers it took to create

What sets work Better in Controllers. I have heard Grav does.  Was considering a Grav/Dark. I run a lot of robots and undead. I tried Dark/Dark in a dom recently. I dont like the Dog hellhound personally. The crazy grav ball of death i am okay with

thanks

Illusion always my favorite, and controller is the only AT that has it.  Personally I like it as the ultimate solo character, as there is almost nothing it can't complete between untouchable pets and a confuse.  Heck, it also gets superior invisibility so you can speed through missions similar to a stalker.  Its damage potential, especially for a controller, is pretty good. 

It isn't bad in a team either as you are also one of the best at taking an alpha via phantom army.

Grav is better but you already ran grav and it's not really different. 

Illusion is strong but incredibly boring to level up. It's like the lamest set in the game for a long time, and then it explodes in power, especially if you have a strong secondary, and get your recharge boosted way up. 

I suggest going more classic controller, fire, earth, plant, ice all straightforward control sets. Mix with rad, kin, time and you'll be a powerhouse. 

I pretty much only play controllers, and dominators.  The rest are flights of fancy. 

These are my personal favs, this is entirely subjective :

Primaries of note:

Earth

-Def across most abilities, stacks. 

Several powers require you to be near or touching ground. 

Immob has kb supression, they won't move if hit by kb. But they'll still fall over (e.g. Mobs in your stone cages will flop on earthquakes) 

Long anim on single target hold. Hits hard tho. 

Dmg is smashing, less resisted than lethal. 

Salt crystals is a hidden overlooked gem

Quicksand is great

Earthquake is signature

Staligmites make you feel like a controller

Pet is soso, does OK. 

Pairs well with: dark, time, rad, storm. 

Elec

End drain on abilities.

Static field is signature, continually puts mobs to sleep over duration and slows ones that wake. 

Jolting chain is proc frankenslot friendly, quick recharging, effective. 

Chain confuse is OK, slow casting. 

Pets are effective. 

Pairs well with: kin

Dark

You weren't a fan, skipping.

Dark dark is team God mode. 

Ice is terrible, advise avoiding it. 

Illusion is indeed boring, but very good once leveled and recharge bonuses up, for the pets. 

Grav feels like it excels on a Dom imo. With a melee focused secondary. Primary has good st ranged attack chain. 

Mind likewise belongs in Dom. Telekin stacking with holds at mag 6 can and does hold avs within a reasonable ramp time to mag 50.

Secondaries of note:

Kinetics 

dmg buffs, end drain, other ally recharge. Slot touch if the nictus 6 slot the heal until set acc bonuses let you flip to prevent med. 

Thermal 

good debuffs late in set 35/38. Single target dmg buff in forge, extreme dmg ressurect ion. Res shields, direct and aoe healing. Advise include sorcery pool with spirit ward, mystic flight (unless earth primary), rune of protection. Proper healer with real cc on controller. 

Darkness affinity 

Insanely good. Skipping.

Edited by honoroit

1 hour ago, honoroit said:

Slot touch if the nictus 6 slot the heal until set acc bonuses let you flip to prevent med.

I wouldn't recommend that.

In fact, for any heal that requires a ToHit check, my go to slotting preference these days is either 5 Theft of Essence (with proc) plus 1 Touch of the Nictus (proc only) ... or doing the reverse of 5 Touch of the Nictus (with proc) plus 1 Theft of Essence (proc only).  I found this combination to be quite UNFAIRLY USEFUL on my Water/Cold = A Slush Fund o' Procs build that you can find in the Corruptors forum, along with an explanation of WHY this combo is so good for Dehydrate.  The choice between which alternative slotting to use tends to be dictated by the Rule of 5 for set bonuses, since I've seen situations where 5 slotting one Accurate ToHit set will "waste" set bonuses on a 6th copy of a bonus, while the other set will not, so to in order to stay under the Rule of 5 limit for set bonuses you can slot either way and achieve almost exactly the same outcome(s).

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

7 hours ago, Redlynne said:

I wouldn't recommend that.

In fact, for any heal that requires a ToHit check, my go to slotting preference these days is either 5 Theft of Essence (with proc) plus 1 Touch of the Nictus (proc only) ... or doing the reverse of 5 Touch of the Nictus (with proc) plus 1 Theft of Essence (proc only).  I found this combination to be quite UNFAIRLY USEFUL on my Water/Cold = A Slush Fund o' Procs build that you can find in the Corruptors forum, along with an explanation of WHY this combo is so good for Dehydrate.  The choice between which alternative slotting to use tends to be dictated by the Rule of 5 for set bonuses, since I've seen situations where 5 slotting one Accurate ToHit set will "waste" set bonuses on a 6th copy of a bonus, while the other set will not, so to in order to stay under the Rule of 5 limit for set bonuses you can slot either way and achieve almost exactly the same outcome(s).

As you like, I've been happy with touch coverage over the 6.

Controller is in my opinion the most difficult class to generalize about because each combo produces very different types of characters. 

I've been meaning to do a write up like this anyway, so here are my thoughts:

• ILLUSION
    • Only available on Controllers
      • Best things
        • Unkillable pets that do good damage and can tank AVs/GMs
      • Worst things
        • No AoE hard Controls at all. Very different from other Control sets.

• FIRE
    • Controllers
      • Best things
        • Passive damage aura (Hot Feet) that benefits from Containment damage. This makes Fire Control potentially very high damage while allowing the character to manage a busy secondary set (eg Kinetics)
        • Very squishy pets benefit from buffing
        • This set tends to draw a lot of aggro, so having extra healing/defense etc from a buff set can extend survivability
      • Worst things
        • Other than Bonfire, all Control powers are Holds and Stuns, making it extremely vulnerable to lockouts when enemies have Dispersion Bubble powers
        • Most secondaries offer no mezz protection, making Hot Feet vulnerable to detoggle until you plug this hole
    • Dominator
      • Best things
        • Turning Flashfire into a Mag 6 stun makes it one of the strongest, (if not THE strongest) ranged hard mezzes in the game, and bypasses most of the concerns about Dispersion Bubble above
        • Since the secondary effect of Fire is just "more damage" and Doms have higher damage than Controller, the values translate better
        • Mezz protection in Domination mode helps prevent Hot Feet detoggles
      • Worst things
        • No way other than Controls to support very squishy pets
        • Dominator generally has poor self heals/defense to facilitate surviving the aggro Hot Feet can draw

• EARTH
    • Controllers
      • Best things
        • Already solid pet becomes nearly unkillable with the right secondary pairings.
        • This powerset has strong enough controls that going Dominator may not be required to still achieve lockdown, especially depending on the secondary set that is selected.
      • Worst things
        • This is a very low damage control set.
    • Dominators
      • Best things
        • The low damage of Earth Control pairs excellently with the high damage of Assault secondaries
        • Although -Defense scales between Controller and Dominator, it mostly does not matter. The only other secondary effect Earth Control has(-ToHit in Earthquake) is the same (-10%) between both archetypes
        • Stalagmites as a Mag 6 AoE stun vies for the position of best ranged control power in the game, beat only by Flashfire because stalagmites requires you to be on the ground
      • Worst things
        • AoE hold power does not benefit from Domination

• ICE
    • Controllers
      • Best things
        • Controllers do more -Recharge as a secondary effect than Dominators do
        • Already solid pet becomes nearly unkillable with the right secondary pairings
      • Worst things
        • This is a very low damage control set that struggles to solo on its own and contributes limited damage to the team
        • Arctic Air is vulnerable to detoggling until you obtain some form of mezz protection
    • Dominators
      • Best things
        • The low damage of Ice Control pairs excellently with the high damage of Assault secondaries
        • Mezz protection in Domination prevents Arctic Air from detoggling
        • The pet is fairly solid and doesn't require much additional support
      • Worst things
        • Arctic Air does not increase magnitude when in Domination mode

• ELECTRIC
    • Controllers
      • Best things
        • You get the same strength from Static Field and almost the same strength from Synpatic Overload (barring first target) as a Dominator anyway since those powers dont benefit
        • Pets are relatively squishy and do well with some extra support
      • Worst things
        • This is a fairly low damage control set
    • Dominators
      • Best things
        • Low damage in the primary lends itself well to pairing with the high damage Assault secondaries
        • Unlike other secondary effects, -Recovery and -Endurance do not scale between Controller and Dominator, so both do identical endurance draining
      • Worst things
        • Synaptic Overload only applies the Domination effect to the first target in the chain
        • Static Field does not apply the Domination effect
        • No real way to support the squishy pets

• MIND
    • Controllers
      • Best things
        • Umm... theme?
      • Worst things
        • AoE Containment is difficult to achieve, making this set very low damage
        • Having no pet really hurts most Controllers 
        • Relies on relatively low magnitude, long recharge powers 
        • Few opportunities for damage proc to close damage gap with Dominator
        • Other than theme, overall just worse than a similar Dark or Illusion Controller
    • Dominators
      • Best things
        • Unlike a Controller, does not rely on Containment for extra damage
        • ALL powers benefit from extra Magnitude in Domination mode 
        • Mind has no secondary effect, so there is no scaling between archetypes
      • Worst things
        • Despite being better on Dominators, the set overall still suffers from punitive recharge times and has no secondary effect to back itself up

• DARK
    • Controllers
      • Best things
        • Controllers have higher -ToHit as a secondary effect. The ToHit in Dark Control makes the actual mezzes less critical as enemies can't hit you anyway.
        • Lots of opportunities for damage procs to help close the hole on damage
      • Worst things
        • Only that Dark Control is mediocre damage even with procs
    • Dominators
      • Best things
        • All powers you would expect to benefit from Domination mode do so, even the AoE Hold
        • Excellent pet requires little supervision
        • Assault sets assist Dark's mediocre damage
      • Worst things
        • Worse -ToHit than a similar Controller

• GRAVITY
    • Controllers
      • Best things
        • Very high damage blast types powers that give this set significantly higher single target damage than other control sets, obviating the need for an Assault set
      • Worst things
        • All Control powers are Holds or Stuns, so vulnerable to lockouts when enemies have Dispersion Bubble powers
    • Dominator
      • Best things
        • Wormhole in Domination mode is the best ranged hard mezz in the game (a mag 6 non-notify stun with a teleport effect) so it may be worth playing this combo just for this.
        • Though the secondary effect -RunSpeed scales across ATs, it probably doesn't matter
      • Worst things
        • Relatively few powers benefit from Domination
        • "Impact" damage mechanic doesn't apply to Assault sets, so you would be doing high damage even without an Assault set
        • Extra damage mechanics in some other Assault sets don't apply to Gravity's high damage powers
          • However might still work well paired with one of the more utility-based Assault secondaries if most blast powers are skipped

• PLANT
    • Controllers
      • Best things
        • Does decent (not great, initially) damage on its own
        • Seeds of Confusion can slot Coercive Persuasion: Chance for Contagious Confusion, which has a very high chance to proc. If it does, the Seeds of Confusion is not remarkably different in Controller v Dom versions.  
      • Worst things
        • No secondary effect.
    • Dominators
      • Best things
        • Pairs "just right" with Assault secondaries as most of the sources of its high damage capability do not replace effects in the secondaries
        • No secondary effect means no scaling between ATs.
      • Worst things
        • Nearly all of the control capability comes from just one power, Seeds of Confusion, a Mag 6 (in Domination) Confuse. If that misses, Plant Dominators have no buff set to back themselves up with and have to hope their AoE hold is up, run away, or tank through the damage.

Edited by Max_Ren
  • Like 8

For your first Controller, I would recommend Plant.  It's very "new user friendly" in that a lot of really good control powers come early on (Ex.-Seeds of Confusion) and Plant pairs with just about anything.  My current project is a Plant/Nature, and he's really tough; he has the tools to do just about anything.  Be sure to slot your S.T. hold (Strangler), your S.T. immobilization (Entangle), and AoE immobilization (Roots) for acc and dmg (at least early on).  Later on, you can decide how to slot them based on what works best for your playstyle. 

And take your time playing him; patience and strategy are rewarded when playing a new Controller character solo.

Plant, Electric, and Dark are all very strong and forgiving defensively early on. The more offense-oriented sets solo better due to damage, but for learning how to Control, it may make sense to take a defense-oriented set. And Plant and Dark do pretty good damage, too, so it's not like they're gimped offensively when soloing.

• Like 1

I’ve been really wanting to make a Plant/Dark. Plant is phenomenal and so is Dark Affinity. One of the best secondaries on a controller. I’d vote a Plant/Dark or Dark/Dark for a first go at a Controller. I really think you’d fall in love with the AT. 

6 hours ago, cazden121 said:

I’ve been really wanting to make a Plant/Dark. Plant is phenomenal and so is Dark Affinity. One of the best secondaries on a controller. I’d vote a Plant/Dark or Dark/Dark for a first go at a Controller. I really think you’d fall in love with the AT. 

I have currently been playing Plant/Dark. He's up to mid 40's right now. Pretty damn fun I must say. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how Creepers work 😉 Great power and damage...but I cast it on a group (you target the ground under a mob), we take a minute to finish it off, move to the next group and the creepers will pop up out of nowhere sometimes on the new mob. Which is great...but I have no idea why 😉

My main is Dk/Dk so I can vouch for both 😉

Edited by Ice_Warden

A bunch of toons. Global DocRanger

All on Excelsior. 

2 hours ago, Ice_Warden said:

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how Creepers work

Creepers summons an invisible pet that travels on the ground with you. This pet has a PBAoE Immobilize attack (the briars that come up from the ground and Immobilize targets), and it also has summons "attack". The attack will summon a thorn vine for every enemy target in the area, including enemy corpses. Both of these effects pulse every few seconds, I'm not sure about the activation rate.

So when you first cast it, usually at a spawn, the invisipet appears and throws out an Immobilize patch, which draws aggro.. but it's an untargetable pet, so the aggro goes to you. This is why you get shot if you open with Creepers, before the vines come up. Then, the invisipet throws out the summons power, and vines come up and start attacking. The vines are immobile, but the invisipet isn't.

So... the pet then follows you invisibly, and when it gets within its aggro range, which seems to be like a normal pet, it starts its Immobilize/Summon attacks again. This is why you wouldn't see more vines come up if you engage at maximum range and Immobilize the mobs far away so they never come close, but most of the time you'll advance closer to use Seeds, and the pet will follow, see enemies, and next thing you know, there are thorns, vines, and impaled kittens all over the place. And sometimes you won't, because you ran too fast and engaged and killed the spawn before the pet caught up to you. The pet lasts for 120 seconds, and I don't recall how long each vine lasts, but I think it's about 20 seconds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another submission for Gravity/Time here. 

Gravity has above-average Controller damage paired with one of the best pets in the game and a wide range of holds and mezzes. Time is a well-rounded secondary set with buffs that emphasize enhancing recharge, regeneration, defense, and recovery while including additional control and debuff powers. Paired together, you have a controller with powerful self-and-team buffs, rock solid damage, and extremely heavy lockdown/control options. It can kind of make a bad team into a steamroller, and turn a good team into a really, really good steamroller. 

20 minutes ago, Mercurias said:

Another submission for Gravity/Time here. 

It can kind of make a bad team into a steamroller, and turn a good team into a really, really good steamroller. 

Funny how that works ... :classic_rolleyes:

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

Many will advise the classic Fire/Kin or Fire/Rad as being the OP trollermonsters - which is true, though I've never played them to high level.

I have played many many trollers during my time, and some are so much fun it's not even funny. Some of my most potent have been;

Mind/Storm - not much obvious damage but psionics is rarely resisted, and storm is great at throwing stuff about so you can get some very interesting combos.

Earth/Thermal - this is exceptionally powerful as a support character, with some amazing debuffs and very solid holds but don't try soloing it - damage is sub par and whilst you can lock down the map you'll get bored tickling your victims to death.

Dark/Poison is insane fun. Dark is very potent (even if you don't like the dog) and poison is great at ST debuffs. It also works very well in PVP with an ordinaryPVE build, so you get double bang for buck

Fire/TA - very underrated (actually most TA is underrated IMO) as being lots of fun and remarkably good synergy, especially when you get Oil Slick Arrow.

Plant/TA as above but with added tentacles and a very solid confuse. Good for soloing.

there are many many others, you've got a wide combination of sets to choose from. I'd guess in principle, a controller is a team player. Once the tank's grabbed the aggro you can lock them down, and let everyone else rinse through them. Have many funs with your experimentations. I'm currently levelling my 70s disco queen "Earth Wind & Fire" who is insanely fun and remarkably robust even pre-IOs.

• Like 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

I play without procs so if you wanna change things you can do everything when you have Ageless so there are no cooldown problems. You can switch to Masculature Alpha when you get Ageless but you need the Agility till then with this build. Tried to keep it cheap with only 1 purple set and 1 ATO.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Natural Controller
Primary Power Set: Plant Control
Secondary Power Set: Darkness Affinity
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Primal Forces Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Strangler -- BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(A), Apc-Dam%(46), Lck-%Hold(50)
Level 1: Twilight Grasp -- TchoftheN-Heal(A), TchoftheN-Acc/Heal(15), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Heal/HP/Regen(17), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(17)
Level 2: Roots -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(3), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(3), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(5), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprOvrPrs-Rchg/Energy Font(7)
Level 4: Darkest Night -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/Rchg(40), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(40), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(43)
Level 6: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(7), Ksm-ToHit+(50)
Level 8: Seeds of Confusion -- CrcPrs-Conf(A), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(9), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(9), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(11), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(11), CrcPrs-Conf%(13)
Level 10: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(13)
Level 12: Tar Patch -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(15)
Level 16: Shadow Fall -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 18: Vines -- SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprWiloft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(19), SprWiloft-EndRdx/Rchg(19), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(21), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(23)
Level 20: Fade -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(23), UnbGrd-ResDam(25), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(25), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(27), UnbGrd-Max HP%(27)
Level 22: Howling Twilight -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 24: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 26: Carrion Creepers -- Ann-Acc/Dmg(A), Ann-Dmg/Rchg(33), Ann-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(34), Ann-ResDeb%(34), PstBls-Dam%(34)
Level 28: Soul Absorption -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/Rchg(31), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(33), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(40)
Level 30: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(31)
Level 32: Fly Trap -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(36), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(36), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(37), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(37)
Level 35: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(36)
Level 38: Dark Servant -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(39), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(39), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(39)
Level 41: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(42), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(42), RedFrt-Def(42), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(43), RedFrt-EndRdx(43)
Level 44: Power Blast -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(45), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(45), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Dcm-Build%(46)
Level 47: Temp Invulnerability -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(48), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(48), Ags-ResDam(48), Ags-Psi/Status(50)
Level 49: Power Boost -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Containment 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(29), Mrc-Rcvry+(29)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(31)
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon 
Level 50: Ageless Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Pyronic Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment 
Level 50: Reactive Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Warworks Core Superior Ally 
------------

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer to view the build |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|MxDz;1531;706;1412;HEX;|
|78DA6594D94F135114C6EFED4CAD2D94B696B66C6529B248A576049F8D829828681|
|3139FD43A812934D6B69996441EFD177CC1ED5951131F4416FD178C3EB925FAA02C|
|EA8B825B8C24A61EE67C50924E3AF9CD7CE79CEF9EBB4C47AE0C563F3C7EF5B090D|
|E818C5E28240772D9A299CB640CD3714A2F4E9A7A466C5E0EBA5BCBB1ADB45822A3|
|678B5B6F6D3B128E4EA652B141DDBC9435C8F5482A95CEA68B53A23A91A3AA6143C|
|FA7B3E32EEBE54CDE30C6DCD6E3507A7CA24801CF56D698611626D2F98663F9F468|
|2C61A62FEB99E450CE1C350AC911BD5034CCA93A6A2C4AF7232970956CE2954D88B|
|02A7A35A2A60A6D83F921B49DA308BF62693501A637088698B3E4272DCF925DCE0A|
|4BB33D06E798EA3CB8C0DC45636E7289C651B85651E679ECAE057091D9F39419A49|
|5B573AECD1E90EC73927BD0FE096B1E73243BD08BE31CD7ED3E0F5E60BA92E04566|
|B5CE6C277F27CF593ADF21F69EF991FAACE298A88AF21C2294EFE6B1A4DBD29CA20|
|65CA17C0FC78407BD2E107CEC61F7DDE1BEF7DC056798B5F7C0FBCCE003E62AF9F9|
|312F3FFC823E66DD2FCEA9FBCD6CF803FE652E536D00BD07D0BBA4DE43D04225BAC|
|42299D56384FA25AE6C5D0657986DABE0677091DD3E9155A375044A4A2376B119BB|
|D88A5DECC22E2A347218AB160E496BD79A0FB2DF137A6DC10AB5AC6157D6C1EFCCB|
|D3FC09FE02FA64ABE11F846B042ED5EE617EAAF03A7B9E3259FF84E9CFCCED7E01B|
|A68F7CBAB10EDDF0D9E702ABC01A668F1BF4309FD134A2A88D4E13BA54B1FF3A780|
|3BCC9ECBD05DE663EA7DA18D7AAB138FB1DD0C03EB09FA91D62BEA09A384E591C3B|
|DBA46E7FB9F4DBDCD9705929F55444E3158A56A1F45528FD15CA708592204542919|
|6E2F4D2D78E4EBEBAB6FF35105D2B2B36799667D8D4C627A3E984B456E95B45D57A|
|5991F21ACEDE34732348E05869DA5F7E8ED4969F6722E5E7B73B724EEFC8F90F2F5|
|00C19|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

Edited by s3ri0us
  • Like 1

I've played Ill/Rad (Perma PA), Fire/Rad, Plant/Storm, Mind/Kin and Ill/Emp (not recommended) to 50 on Live.  

The Mind/Kin was my first level 50 controller and my impression was it peaked very early... it was at it's best compared to the others in the mid-20's and lost ground in the later game.  It was stronger than my other 'trollers in the early going but once they reached the 30's the others pulled ahead.  In the late game it was more useful for the secondary than the primary IMO.  It had decent controls but the other sets surpassed it and it has no pet for additional control or damage.  Decent, but there's no boost at 32 like the others get.

The Plant/Storm  just didn't click with me and only reached 50 because I was on a fixed SG team with him.  Storm just didn't work well for me and because I disliked the Storm part I believe the Plant primary caught dislike by association.  I probably ought to try Plant with another secondary sometime.

The Ill/Emp... well, I rolled him up in issue 3 and he hit 50 just prior to shutdown.  He was the character I pulled out when he was the sole alt in the level range the team wanted to play.  In that time I found that I really dislike Empathy and there's very little synergy with the sets.

The Ill/Rad was a lot of fun and quite effective the whole way.  I frequently teamed with another Ill/Rad in my SG and together they were great at controlling all the battlefield aggro.  Once I reached Perma-PA with him it was a fantastic character.

Fire/Rad... the real murder bunnies of the game when grouped with others of their kind.  One is good, two are great, three of them and you start the steamroller.  Put 8 of them together and you'll never even slow down in your march through the mission... AV's are barely speed bumps, including the Patrons and Lord Recluse in the STF/MLTF.  They can be a bit squishy solo but they have fantastic damage output and good crowd control.  The downside is you live in melee range to take advantage of some of your best powers, Hotfeet and Choking Cloud.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later
On 2/24/2020 at 4:08 PM, Call Me Awesome said:

I've played Ill/Rad (Perma PA), Fire/Rad, Plant/Storm, Mind/Kin and Ill/Emp (not recommended) to 50 on Live.  

Fire/Rad... the real murder bunnies of the game when grouped with others of their kind.  One is good, two are great, three of them and you start the steamroller.  Put 8 of them together and you'll never even slow down in your march through the mission... AV's are barely speed bumps, including the Patrons and Lord Recluse in the STF/MLTF.  They can be a bit squishy solo but they have fantastic damage output and good crowd control.  The downside is you live in melee range to take advantage of some of your best powers, Hotfeet and Choking Cloud.

Frads are the Tank Mage of CoX!!

• Like 1

I rarely play Controllers since I don't feel they add much (don't crucify me, guys, I know I'm posting this in the Controller forum and those here are here because they love the AT). That said playing a /kin saves the AT for me.

I leveled a Dark/Kin and didn't finish leveling it. I liked the theme but it wasn't clicking. Plant would have been better mechanically but the pet didn't fit my theme.

Now I'm doing a Grav/kin and I'm pleasantly surprised. Though it does not scale well a procced out Gravity Distortion, Lift and Propel does stupid damage between procs, Containment and Impact. my one beef was how I lacked some sort of mass CC to help the team instead of just chucking heals. Turns out that Propel with endurance reduction, a Sudden Acceleration and a FF proc does -great- things. I was following a tank and things were just falling down as I threw heals now and then and focused on blasting. It worked really well and I'm glad I spotted @Darkir's suggestion for Repel. While Repel draws Endurance /Kin has Transference to combat it. The best part? Singularity with a Sudden Acceleration does the same! So we are both generating KD fields.

I'll throw a quick little guide for this combo later on.