Forum Reputation

VileTerror

On 2/26/2020 at 6:58 PM, jubakumbi said:

I am not sure which is the more ignoble death, a Darwin Award, or Death By Rabid Gamer.

A Darwin Award.

Honorary Darwin Awards are mighty impressive though. Shoot for one of them. (Pun intended.)

• 2 months later

Heres the thing. a system which can only be used positively, is fine, and can even be a good thing. FFXIV's player commendations as an example.

a system which has any possibility of negativity at all, can and will be abused.

• 4 weeks later
On 2/26/2020 at 2:41 PM, jubakumbi said:

I feel the same way about Forum Reputation, Steam Achievements, and things like Badges in COH...just flags in a database that get flipped when I do something I would already be doing because I find it fun, not because some people are conviced that 'what other think about them' matters and they want to have all the right Street Cred...I know some people just 'have to get them all' regardless of the topic, but I am not one of those people either.

This reminds me of just how much fun it was on live to tell my Badging friends that I refused Bug Hunter.🤣

• Thanks 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

12 minutes ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

@Frostbiter went there earlier:  https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/15491-forum-reputation/?tab=comments#comment-164727

But really; neither of you have BAD Reputation!

image.png.4dc881e16a8e1634f568e2c0c7eb4959.png

image.png.570569275ea00f40e4324cca707782de.png

In fact, you both have Excellent Reputations!

I’m certain that Dread Shinobi would strongly disagree in my case.😂

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

• Retired Game Master
3 hours ago, Xanatos said:

Plz nerf forum rep farming.

Of course!  We'll call it "Encouragement Diversification..." 

(Wait a sec, this happened before...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Spoiler
On 2/17/2020 at 9:30 PM, VileTerror said:

This might sound a little horn-tooty, so I apologize for that upfront, but I have always been a bit curious about the amount of stock and the potential usefulness of the forum's Reputation system.  And, notably, the "Days Won" Leaderboard.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/pastleaders/?sortdirection=desc

I know that, as a metric, Reputation isn't really reliably able to measure anything other than how many times other users clicked a button.  But I do also think it provides an interesting level of insight in to social trends of the subset of the community who frequent the forums, and how they interact with one another.

Christopher Robin, for example, absolutely DOMINATES in the "Days Won" category.  From my research, that's largely from their involvement in the Multimedia board here.  Not to undermine the worth of those posts and the positive impact they apparently have on a significant number of community members, I did notice that few of those "Days Won" were for posts in General or Suggestions; two boards which I tend to frequent more often.  So, I would conclude (rightly or wrongly) that the Reputation garnered in the Art boards isn't really comparable to the Rep generated in those other boards.  Different social dynamics are at play, with different goals and expectations.

Naturally, the Homecoming Team have some great Rep too.  It's sometimes odd to me, though, when a regular user beats out a Dev on a day when a big announcement is made!  I'm curious as to what underlying trends affect that sort of thing.

I don't want to put too much stock in to something that, ultimately, isn't all that important nor meets a level of rigour to pass a burden of truth threshold.  But I do like to read between the lines and try to work my head around the sociological impacts and causes which are illuminated by systems like this.

Anybody else, or is this kinda just a "me thing?"

On 2/17/2020 at 10:23 PM, MTeague said:

Didn't know there was such a thing as a "Days Won" leaderboard. Have to say it's entirely irrelevant to me. 

On 2/17/2020 at 10:25 PM, MunkiLord said:

When I was posting more I would check that out a couple times a week for shits and giggles. I definitely noticed that dev scores tend to spike during announcements. Mine would be higher on days in which I was heavily involved in some of the KB and copyright and other combative threads. Not sure exactly how I feel about that, but it was something I noticed. I actually try to participate less in those threads as a result of that observation. Funny comments also tend to get a good amount of rep as well. 

So my conclusion is if someone wants to have high forum rep, be funny or argue. Or just post a lot, at least last fall the higher reps and high post count lists were extremely similar.

On 2/17/2020 at 10:55 PM, Budo said:

Put me into this camp. Didn't know, do know now, still don't care.

I...I dunno, man. This does not seem like a good place to mine for deep sociological meaning. I mean, maybe there's a doctoral thesis out there for a decade-plus old video game that died and kinda came back and has a wonky-forum structure, but I think it'd be a tough one to defend.

But I'd definitely say that I read the headline for the synopsis of the article of the tweet it was based on.

Maybe.

Okay, probably not.

On 2/17/2020 at 11:54 PM, Call Me Awesome said:

Remember the first rule of the Forum Cartel.

On 2/18/2020 at 12:12 AM, nihilii said:

I feel the same way. Obviously. Disregard the 10 minutes I just spent clicking through a few months worth of leaderboard.

On 2/18/2020 at 4:36 AM, Lines said:

October 15th is mine. I will be recognised for this feat and it will henceforth be celebrated across the forum as Linesday.

Everyone look forward to Linesday.

On 2/18/2020 at 5:01 AM, EmmySky said:

December 9th is mine.  When next it rolls around, I would ask for donations to your favorite charity (or slightly deceased video game) in lieu of flowers.  Thank you.

On 2/18/2020 at 6:50 AM, Frostbiter said:

On 2/18/2020 at 8:21 AM, Abraxus said:

I try to post when I have something relevant to say.  Sometimes folks agree with what I said.  That's pretty much it.  I tend to post mostly reactions in the "announcements" thread, and typically respond to the various topics that come up under the "general" thread.

I love this game, and there are some aspects of it that I feel pretty passionate about.  I also like to help out where I can.  I don't pretend to be an expert in any particular aspect of the game, but I have played for a long time, so I am familiar with most of it, even if I don't personally utilize all of it. 

On 2/18/2020 at 9:50 AM, SwitchFade said:

1. Take list of most frequent posters by count

2. Research top 10 for content quality, noting how often it is vitriolic or virtuous.

3. ???

4. Profit

On 2/18/2020 at 10:03 AM, SaintD said:

Well, I was minding my own business and now all of a sudden I have to kill some dude called Christopher Robin and carve October 23rd and 24th out of his corpse.

It's just work, work, work....

On 2/18/2020 at 4:10 PM, Solarverse said:

I honestly could give two shits less about the reputation system. Too many people on forums in general hold themselves at a high level of importance, when to me they are just another poster. All a reputation system does is bolster that already extra large cranium of theirs.

I really don't give a damn who "won the day."

On 2/18/2020 at 4:55 PM, Lines said:

I notice you've never won a day.

I have.

October 15th.

Won it.

On 2/18/2020 at 7:31 PM, Greycat said:

I'm solidly "Meh" about it. Didn't even know it existed.

On 2/18/2020 at 8:10 PM, Caulderone said:

I think you meant "could not care less", and I join you in that.

On 2/18/2020 at 9:57 PM, Yomo Kimyata said:

You are heard.  And you are validated.

On 2/25/2020 at 3:00 AM, Clave Dark 5 said:

You couldn't be more wrong here!

On 2/25/2020 at 5:09 AM, Bentley Berkeley said:

while the win the day thing was something i was unaware of and cant say i put much stock in it, as its often purely comical, or derogatory posts that tend to get the most reactions, I do tend to notice a trend were those who end up on my ignore list also often seem to have a pretty low positive rep to post ratio. I like to think my rep is what someone who tries to offer both advice, and banter while trying to mostly remain civil should be around with roughly a 50% positive rating compared to my post count. I dont expect everything i say to be liked nor agreed with but am pleasantly surprised when some of the things I do say get a few thanks and likes by posters who I tend to see as among the more socially inclined and civil sorts on among our forum community here.

I do notice though that it seems like the posts I post more under the influence of my Berk persona I RP in game seem to get more likes and more animosity then those that are purely just this gamer at his keyboard. Guess I am just not as interesting in RL:(.

On 2/25/2020 at 7:07 AM, VileTerror said:

If you're going to "no u" someone, do it right:

no-u.jpeg.683ff839b0907406853f0426eef542e0.jpeg

On 2/25/2020 at 7:24 AM, Coyote said:

Is that an example of You Fu?

On 2/25/2020 at 11:01 AM, Ignatz the Insane said:

Quality over quantity my good man.  😛

On 2/25/2020 at 1:13 PM, subbacultchas said:

Just uh, let me know when you start firing so I can move first.

On 2/26/2020 at 9:12 AM, Dreamboat said:

I'm now in the precarious position of my reputation being just higher than my post count, and now I must struggle to maintain this. No-one post anything interesting that I would want to respond to until I've been given some more rep.

On 2/26/2020 at 10:41 AM, Luminara said:

I've always been slightly out of the loop in regard to news and current events, so it was only a couple of days ago that I learned how many people have died trying to capture "selfies".

Death by train.  Death by electrocution.  Death by drowning.  Falling from great heights, self-inflicted gunshot to the head, grenade (GRENADE!)... all in the hope of winning the popularity contest which social media accounts represent (in my opinion).

I'd much rather be alive and unpopular than famous for winning a Darwin Award.

On 2/26/2020 at 12:58 PM, jubakumbi said:

I just assume my 'forum reputation' will get me killed by a rabid fan of one of the games I post on a forum about, because it seems that speaking my mind makes my 'forum reputation' that of terrible person for pointing out uncomfortable things some people don't want to address.

I am not sure which is the more ignoble death, a Darwin Award, or Death By Rabid Gamer.

The best though is having all kinds of conspiracy theories I have seen around 'forum reputation' with people making sock-puppets and the like to promote a certain POV.

That's just nuts.

Who has that kind of time?

I have trouble keeping up with one account per forum, much less multiples to just make a specific account look a certain way on a certain topic.

What an odd world, where what used to be considered nothing but nerd territory, just using Forums, has now become something the average person uses to decide if they are 'on the right team'...from the feedback they get from other posters...just fascinating.

On 2/26/2020 at 2:42 PM, subbacultchas said:

It should be a fund with value, something usable. You say some really stupid shit one Saturday, and trading in 250 rep will make everyone pretend you didn't.

On 2/26/2020 at 2:56 PM, The Philotic Knight said:

I used to be up there somewhere... then I got busy with real life. Maybe someday I'll be up there again. It would make my ePeen feel bigger. 🙂

On 3/30/2020 at 3:33 PM, Vulpoid said:

The person with the highest rep gets to download the game for free, correct?

On 3/30/2020 at 3:33 PM, Troo said:

😃 thread necroing

and 2,000!

image.png.301f0f81b3485fcc797da982f83ce01c.png

On 3/30/2020 at 5:50 PM, ZeeHero said:

Best possible thing to do with the forum reputation system- which I did not know existed until now- is delete it. Popularity contest type garbage is unsuited for online communities. it will always become a bad thing and be abused.

On 3/30/2020 at 11:39 PM, Machariel said:

My reputation to post ratio is pretty low, so, my position is that it is a completely meaningless number 😅😆

On 3/31/2020 at 2:15 PM, Gremlin said:

I literally hadn't noticed the heart icon until I read this thread. It would seem that I'm not terribly observant. 🙂

5 hours ago, Myrmidon said:

I feel the same way that she does about my reputation.

168BD6D8-B1D2-43F9-93C6-3A84040B59BD.jpeg

4 hours ago, Xanatos said:

Plz nerf forum rep farming.

The reputation system might not mean anything, but thanks for being here, being yourselves, and being a part of this community we call home. ❤️ That's the only kind of rep that matters 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Lol. I was born when family doctors where still allowed to deliver in their clinics. I was already breathing when delivered and wasn't crying. The doctor slapped me anyway. My mother said I gave him the meanest look she'd ever seen on a baby and told him to slap me again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

51 minutes ago, Frostbiter said:

Lol. I was born when family doctors where still allowed to deliver in their clinics. I was already breathing when delivered and wasn't crying. The doctor slapped me anyway. My mother said I gave him the meanest look she'd ever seen on a baby and told him to slap me again.

Hm was the horror film It's Alive! loosely based on your birth?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

People sometimes get likes or thanks here just for mocking people that others felt deserved it or wanted to join in on. So, yeah, these rankings tend to have zero value. 

I once surged to the number one spot for awhile on another forum's rep system many years ago. I cracked a lot of jokes, talked a lot of shit, and certainly would not have considered myself to be #1 in terms of kindness and helpfulness. 

17 minutes ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Hm was the horror film It's Alive! loosely based on your birth?

Nice one. 🙂 I was born with mild Asberger's Syndrome. It concerned them both that I didn't cry. Nobody at that time knew much about it. *shrugs*

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

8 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I have a request... if I go past 30000 posts on this forum again... someone please hunt me down and beat me soundly. Granted... the wife may beat you to it.

The snarky side of me wants to say "It's a date... should I level a Whip Assault Dominator, or a Handcuff Control Controller?".

The colder calculating side is looking at my post count, elbowing, and growl-hissing "shut up and keep your head down, nail".

• Like 1