Afterbuner - Simple to implement I think ...

Simple to implement I think ... But there is something that disturbs and bothers a lot.

I enter the missions and forget to hang up. Sometimes in speed TF, same thing (to move and forget to turn off).  I keep trying to use the powers and ... nothing ... why? I forgot to turn off the afterbuner ... Talking to friends, complaining in fact, happens to many and they get upset too.

Why not modify it? When the person uses any other power it automatically deactivates?

The suggestion remains (folks, whoever identifies with the case, comment, to see if the devs modify ^^)

In time, they could increase the speed ... We spent 2 points of power to go faster and someone who spent 1 point only in superspeed goes faster ... Who spent more, shouldn't go faster? Under equal conditions speed is faster than afterbuner (if you spend only 1 power point :/ )

Does anyone even -care- about the defense Afterburner gives other than a coincidental LotG mule? Has anyone ever went omg I'm so glad I had Afterburner's extra defense! Letting it go and turning it into an auto would be welcome.

14 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Does anyone even -care- about the defense Afterburner gives other than a coincidental LotG mule? Has anyone ever went omg I'm so glad I had Afterburner's extra defense! Letting it go and turning it into an auto would be welcome.

For my builds that have some defense but not capped, it can be a great tool to ignore mobs to get to an objective or if I want to assure a soft alpha strike, toggle on that baby, run in, let the mob's toss out their first attack and then turn it off. 

It's similar in a way to taking alphas on a FF character when repulsion bomb is on recharge. 

Edited by Leo_G
  • Like 2

Yeah, 10% on a blaster is pretty huge. I've only recently really noticed this about Afterburner, but it definitely gives out a sort of weak personal force field effect. I think I'm going to take leo's advice - I've been leveling a Regen scrapper recently and the alphas are definitely an issue. This would be a good solution.

I like your main idea. That's a nice little quality of life thing.

32 minutes ago, Carandiru said:

We spent 2 points of power to go faster and someone who spent 1 point only in superspeed goes faster ... Who spent more, shouldn't go faster? Under equal conditions speed is faster than afterbuner (if you spend only 1 power point 😕)

I disagree here. The mechanical attractiveness of flight is the convenience and the unlimited 3D movement that SS lacks. It also has a little more combat utility, allowing you to avoid melee. SS is taking a bigger hit in terms of navigating Paragon City and the Rogue Isles. An extra power to meet that speed and the convenience is a good tradeoff. I don't think speed is the only factor when comparing travel powers.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lines said:

I like your main idea. That's a nice little quality of life thing.

I disagree here. The mechanical attractiveness of flight is the convenience and the unlimited 3D movement that SS lacks. It also has a little more combat utility, allowing you to avoid melee. SS is taking a bigger hit in terms of navigating Paragon City and the Rogue Isles. An extra power to meet that speed and the convenience is a good tradeoff. I don't think speed is the only factor when comparing travel powers.

a doubt ... a car, a motorcycle ... are they faster than an airplane?

imagine spending twice as much on something to fly that is slower than one that spends only 1 and on "the ground "...

😉

it was just an observation at speed ... the question for me is the afterburn "auto cancel" ... very annoying, you forget and go crazy clicking on the powers and nothing, then you realize and hang up and talz, for a blaster, in the middle of enemies is almost death ....

Edited by Carandiru

8 minutes ago, Carandiru said:

a doubt ... a car, a motorcycle ... are they faster than an airplane?

imagine spending twice as much on something to fly that is slower than one that spends only 1 and on "the ground "...

If you feel that SS is that much better than Fly, why not just take SS?

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

Combat jumping, smidge of Defense.  Doesn't work with ninja/beast run.

Super jump, vertical and horizontal movement.  Nuff said, lacks the speed of SS and the height of Fly.  Like Teleport, bur slower.

Everything in 1 pool.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

5 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

If you feel that SS is that much better than Fly, why not just take SS?

CONCEPT char... 😉

it was just an observation, the main thing is: how much afterburn costs, can be canceled when using a power ...

Edited by Carandiru

17 hours ago, Nayeh said:

I think Afterburner should be reclassified as a server-tray temporary power, similar to how Sorcery (Translocation) and Force of Will (Mighty Leap) are automatically granted when you activate the abilities.

I mean... that's the plan with Gadgetry pool.

Before Origin pools came and muddied the waters with their "deniable P2W power levels," I'd say Afterburner was actually a really good design direction.  Players cried for faster flight on the old forums for years, but they couldn't out-logic the fact that Fly was already worlds away from the pure utility offered by other Travel options.  Making them spend another power pick, but also giving it indirect utility (defense, IO boat) seems like the best way to handle it.

You know, it occurs to me that it probably would have been better to simply add a code chunk to Hover to have it no longer be mutually exclusive to Flight, and to apply +Max fly speed if you enable both.  That would get you your 2 power selections, still have your rider utility and minor combat boons.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Replacement said:

You know, it occurs to me that it probably would have been better to simply add a code chunk to Hover to have it no longer be mutually exclusive to Flight, and to apply +Max fly speed if you enable both.  That would get you your 2 power selections, still have your rider utility and minor combat boons.

That idea is pretty baller.

I like the idea, sort of like how Granite Armor and Travel Powers would detoggle each other.

Now if I can derail the topic for a sec. Skip Fly altogether. Hover + Jump Pack goes just as fast as fly, plus you get Mag 4 fly (Fly is only Mag 1).

If you want Afterburner, well take Air Superiority and Hover. You'll get more utility with an attack that can knock enemies out of the sky, and Hover + Jump Pack + Afterburner will have you humming about 11% faster than the base max flight speed of 58.63 mph (65.21 mph, mag 8 fly). That's not including any movement bonuses in your build.

If that's still not fast enough and you want to hit the 87.95 mph Afterburner cap, well...still dont get Fly. Buy a temporary Jet Pack (50k for 30m use). With Afterburner + Jump Pack + Jet Pack, not only will you go 87.95 mph, you'll do so at a much lower endurance cost than fly (0.455 end/sec vs. 0.19 end/sec).

Ok, that's my PSA. Carry on with your good suggestions.

Edited by Bopper

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

Just to add onto my last post:

1) Spend the 100k to own both Steam Jump and Jump Pack. You can swap between them to make the previously mentioned combo effects a permanent flight capability.

2) There are 6 different types of Jet Packs you can purchase and each can be purchased for up to 5 hours of usage. It will cost you 3 million to gain 30 hours of useage, but that's worth it to save a power pick (unless you need the Fly power to be a mule for a KB protect or Slow Resisrance unique). Plus, you likely are making well over 3 million influence over 30 hours of flight useage (and also game time).

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

3 minutes ago, Caulderone said:

All of those require ugly, character breaking things stuck onto my back if my character isn't tech oriented.   Same reason I hate the Aid Self power.

That is the cost of power...ugliness. 

I personally would rather it be a passive ability that doesn't affect the physics of flight, just the speed.  I strongly dislike how it makes you stop on a dime vs the small amount of drift that normal flight has, which feels more natural.