Discussion: Disabling XP No Longer Increases Influence

Jimmy

7 hours ago, Racist Dolphin said:

> Influence gain can no longer be increased by disabling XP

oh boy more reason to never come back to this game

Can I have your stuff? I mean, with the reduced inf gains, every bit helps...

>.<

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, OriginalOgre said:

the Developers have not studied economics

Neither have you, nor anyone claiming this fix will crash the economy.

More influence generated for same amount of goods generated = higher price for goods. This is econ 101.

The existence of double inf + the patrol XP exploit only meant that playing under any other condition was penalized on the market.

The Richer Will get Richer and the poor stay poor, what i mean is the lack of available income made by every single farmer goes down you loose a large amount of income into the economy so items that where 1-3 million now become worth 15-20 of million, and  the items that where 15-20 million will be worth 70-100 million. (Literally the Devs have created inflation ball that will roll down the hill and kill this game)

Absurd. Double inf farmers were a net drain on the economy, due to the above reason.

This is not a hard idea to understand.

Player A plays missions. During the time he gets X recipe drops, he generates Y influence.

Player B farms with the double inf exploit. During the time he gets X recipe drops, he generates >2Y influence.

Player B has generated less than half as many recipes as Player A for the same amount of inf.

Or, Player B has more than twice as much inf to spend on the market as Player A.

The naive counterpoint would be that Player B earns vastly more recipes over time than Player A, by virtue of farming being so much faster. But this is an irrelevant point, especially once you expand your perspective to the entire playerbase. The ratio of inf to recipes remains skewed in favor of the farmer, meaning the farmer has more weight in the competitive marketplace that is the AH, meaning farmers spend that inf and hike the prices for everyone else.

That so-called "helping new players out" complainers love to mention? It essentially transfers some of the competitive advantage of the farmer to another person, *at the expense of everyone else*. Powerleveling someone to 50? You help them generate more influence per recipes earlier than they would otherwise, so once again that's a net drain on the economy.

Mind you, I'm not making value judgements here. Namely talking about the economic aspect. There is no economic reason to complain about this change. Period. You are protesting a change that literally curbs inflation.

(Meanwhile, the Fed is printing infinite dollars to prop up a bubble economy where zombie companies buy their own stock. Woo! If you want to direct your inflation-related outrage at something, there's no shortage of appropriate targets in the real world right now.)

Edited by nihilii
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Crimsonpyre said:

A friend of mine who also has a farmer and never did the 49 farm thing, used to put up all his recipes and salvage drops on the AH dirt cheap for quick sales. Now out of protest sells it all to the vendors. Once his farmer hits vet level 99, he will delete it and have a new farmer ready to take it's place.

Let us never forget his sacrifice.

/em holdtorch

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

Now I make 1/100 of what I do in an hour. I now have to spend more time away from important things like work, sleep , and family to help my COH Homecoming community. I can no longer take an hour break for lunch to help people in the community by making millions of dollars in Influence and giving it back.

Priorities on point, though.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Let us never forget his sacrifice.

/em holdtorch

Wouldn't be such a little thing if all farmers did it.

Edited by Crimsonpyre

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

@OriginalOgre Sounds like you got more out of the game than what you paid for it.

Edited by Troo
  • Like 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Give a man a fish and he eats for the day, teach a man to fish and they never go hungry again. Such true words, no matter ones faith. Giving away inf and telling people how to spend it isnt helping the community all that much imo. Teach people how to liquidate the merits they earn, or use them to play the converter game to get the rares they need, Help them to understand why some set bonus focuses help some power sets alot while others they are wasted on. Help them understand why some power sets compliment each other, and some cripple each other.

Sadly OP your post comes across as hyperbolic and ranty, and a bit too egocentric. And coming from me that should say something lol.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Crimsonpyre said:

You shouldn't buy ATO's with merits, but purple recipes are not a bad deal, since it would cost you about the same in influence on the market, especially if you have the salvage to craft them.

Shouldn't..?

I think I will now do this always simply in protest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Just now, Troo said:

Shouldn't..?

I think I will now do this always simply in protest.

Good for you, go for it.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

3 hours ago, OriginalOgre said:

To the Community,

Wow, what an awesome 6 months it has been; in the last 6 months I've helped over 200 characters reach the level cap of 50, I've helped characters achieve accolades, badges, and given Influence to those starting out. I loved this game and its community. I was really happy the game was brought back, and given new light. I was excited to help others. I was excited in getting rewarded for helping others. With my rewards I would , of course help myself so that I could, in turn, pay it forward. Once I was up-to speed in a couple of days I was then able to focus on builds, and what do build require in game money. Before this latest "wonderful" Patch I could make enough money in an hour that would allow me to spec out my farmer  and different toons all together, it was great. Now I make 1/100 of what I do in an hour. I now have to spend more time away from important things like work, sleep , and family to help my COH Homecoming community. I can no longer take an hour break for lunch to help people in the community by making millions of dollars in Influence and giving it back. I now have to invest hours (usually takes about 10-20 hours to make 20 million before I could make that in 1 hour)  to help others now. Those of you who are reading this could say why should I care about this person who's a nobody and who is complaining about this? Or He's never helped me why should i care? 

The Reasons,

1. No incentive to get to lvl 50, in the regular game at 50 you could get double influence and no xp, when at a lower level or exemplared (not any more). This feature gave higher level players incentive to stick around a help others because now when they farm through AE mission they make money for them self while helping others get to the same lvl.

2. Free market > Communist Regime, the Developers have not studied economics. when you take away money from the Economy you create a larger gap between high teir players who may have multiple toons who can make more money per hour , and lower level players who are newer or just wanted a game to play with friends.

3. Auction House Exploits, The Richer Will get Richer and the poor stay poor, what i mean is the lack of available income made by every single farmer goes down you loose a large amount of income into the economy so items that where 1-3 million now become worth 15-20 of million, and  the items that where 15-20 million will be worth 70-100 million. (Literally the Devs have created inflation ball that will roll down the hill and kill this game)

4. Less play time, the people who want to make there 20 million an hour are going to create multiple accounts taking up space from others (which is wrong but it will happen)

5. Ruining the integrity of the game again creating inflation, changing the money system is wrong this why the OG Devs didn't like making changes to influence because they where smart enough to realize what a HUGE! impact it is in the game.

6. Not Staying true to the Historic value of the game. When you start to remove features that shipped on the game in 2004 now there should be repercussions, Because they change a core functionality of the game.(Devs you forced my hand, NCSoft this would be the time to appeal and shut it down)

In closing ive wasted 6 months of my life playing through a game that might as well should be shutdown like whats the point anymore, why should a valuable player who helps other first play anymore, there sure isn't any reason to hit 50 , theres no reason to go past lvl 10 because everything you need to get the most out of your character will either be unobtainium, or so expensive that it makes no sense to entertain the time it takes to the make money. Even if you are blessed by the R&G GODS and you get the enhancement you need it will be more valuable to sell it then craft it which is disgusting. After this one little tiny change in the game COH Homecoming has lost a very valuable player. Good luck to those that will continue in the struggle. To the Devs Good luck with whatever BS you think you are preventing and have fun with the mess you created. 

It's got a good rhythm and you can dance to it.  7/10.

Jeez Jimmy, how many threads are you gonna merge into this one?!?

• Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

• City Council
1 minute ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

It's got a good rhythm and you can dance to it.  7/10.

Depends how many threads people make to discuss the same thing 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

1 minute ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

lol. As many as it takes, right Jimmy?

( @Jimmy you are a rockstar )

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Murcielago said:

I really like this implementation and I know I speak for the minority but I think the devs should take this one step further and put a set limit on how many times you can convert an enhancement. Increase scarcity a little bit.

As someone who tried (and failed) 20+ times to get one specific enhancement from a set while using Convert Within Set I'll have to give this a big ol No.

• Like 2

Oh? You like City of Heroes?

Name every player character.

I'll be waiting in my PMs.

7 minutes ago, Murcielago said:

I really like this implementation and I know I speak for the minority but I think the devs should take this one step further and put a set limit on how many times you can convert an enhancement. Increase scarcity a little bit.

NoDawg.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Based on all the snarky responses, I see that some people still don't understand that this change has a larger negative impact on casual players than anyone else. Farmers are going to farm and marketeers continue to make billions, but the casual player using the no experience influence bonus is going to kill the economy.  

19 minutes ago, Crimsonpyre said:

Based on all the snarky responses, I see that some people still don't understand that this change has a larger negative impact on casual players than anyone else. Farmers are going to farm and marketeers continue to make billions, but the casual player using the no experience influence bonus is going to kill the economy.  

I'm putting together a really basic simple guide for how people who don't want to use the AH can make millions by doing as little as possible and making no decisions on the interface.  I'm also testing out the algorithm on a new toon.

If everyone provided supply as well as demand for goods, it would be a more liquid and robust market and would cut into the margins of those ebil marketeers.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

4 hours ago, Vanden said:

This is satire, right?

It genuinely didn't occur to me that it could be anything else.  But if it is serious I'm actually impressed that someone who discovered an exploit that let them make one hundred times the base rate of inf gain would have the cojones to show up on the forum to complain bitterly to the devs that they couldn't do that any more.

• Like 2

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

4 minutes ago, Grouchybeast said:

It genuinely didn't occur to me that it could be anything else.  But if it is serious I'm actually impressed that someone who discovered an exploit that let them make one hundred times the base rate of inf gain would have the cojones to show up on the forum to complain bitterly to the devs that they couldn't do that any more.

By all means fix the exploit, but they didn't need to throw the baby out with the bath water. Again casual players using the no experience influence bonus is not killing the economy.  

• Like 2

Just now, Crimsonpyre said:

By all means fix the exploit, but they didn't need to throw the baby out with the bath water. Again casual players using the no experience influence bonus is not killing the economy.  

Turning down the tap that keeps inf flowing into the game is always going to be a good thing.

I genuinely don't understand your 'causal player' point, though.  How do you imagine this casual player is playing that they can't manage to outfit a character via the normal levelling process?

• Like 2

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

Just now, Grouchybeast said:

Turning down the tap that keeps inf flowing into the game is always going to be a good thing.

I genuinely don't understand your 'causal player' point, though.  How do you imagine this casual player is playing that they can't manage to outfit a character via the normal levelling process?

I genuinely don't understand how people using the influence bonus for normal play destroys the market. Sure you can't have people use an exploit to make millions in minutes, but that could have been fixed without punishing everyone else.

So really Jimmy, is people using this feature as intended really creating too much influence?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Crimsonpyre said:

Disagree. Casual players can kit out their character by simply earning merits.  Even if they don't use the most optimal / cost effective methods of farming, conversion, or AH they can buy IOs for merits.  Run 1 or 2 TFs and do one of the Who Will Die missions per week and they will continually make progress.

• Like 2