Purples should be removed from the AH

Dz131

16 minutes ago, Dz131 said:

The only way to get them should be through drops.  

Purples in the AH are from drops.  I know this because I put several of them up for sale.  What do you suggest people do with purple drops they get that they cannot use?  Delete them?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

It gives the game longevity. This is the exact lesson Diablo 3 learned with the auction house.  People get bored quickly when you can buy the best loot and there's nothing to strive for, hence the constant calls for more content.  As of now the best way to gear up in CoX isn't to play the character, it's to roll a farmer and buy everything you need.  I think this is the opposite of the way the game should work.  

2 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

Purples in the AH are from drops.  I know this because I put several of them up for sale.  What do you suggest people do with purple drops they get that they cannot use?  Delete them?

There would be a system in place that should allow you to sell them for a high but not stupid price.  They should be account bound and used for alt as well, but should not be tranferable between players.  Edit: and of course converters

Edited by Dz131

6 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

NO!  You send them to me because they're ....trash and I just like collecting them. <.<

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

@Kismet

@KlSMET - (kLsmet)

@Kismette

@Kismet Angel/@Angel of Fate/@One Kismet - on live

Heroes on Guardian/Villains on Victory

21 minutes ago, Dz131 said:

There would be a system in place that should allow you to sell them for a high but not stupid price.

So... the AH? Unless you meant that they should only be sold to vendors, which just seems wasteful. Why make them even more rare than they already are?

"Stupid" price is entirely relative to the market. If people are buying them for the prices listed, then it's not stupid. Heck, without purples people wouldn't have much to do with the billions of inf they're sitting on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"We're out of options, I'll have to use the jetpack," I said, strapping on the jetpack and ignoring the many non-jetpack options still left.

Having trouble deciding your next alt? Just need a cool name? Try out City Suggests

Looking for powers data? Try the Powers API

21 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

Purples in the AH are from drops.

Technically, someone could have spent 100 merits for the recipe, crafted it, then posted the result for sale. 

That's... rather unlikely to be the case.... but in theory, could be. 

23 minutes ago, Dz131 said:

It gives the game longevity.

Perhaps for some folks. I get rather attached to my characters. 

My Spines/Regen stalker is not just my Spines/Regen stalker.  He's FERIL.  He has no other name.  He is a literally unkillable mutant who grew up as a wild thing, and his earliest memories are of crawling through dumpsters, looking for food. As far as he can tell, his parents were horrified by his monstrous apperance at birth, and threw him into the trash. Perhaps placing him in a plastic bag first, perhaps not.  But he did not die. His inherent regeneration kept him alive and he grew as a wild child in the streets of the rogue isles, learning that life is hard and cheap, and he must take what he needs to survive. He is functionally illiterate, but after leaving a trail of dead bodies in his wake, people learned not to taunt him about it. 

I don't need loot drops to stay invested in a game when I have that kind of attachment to my characters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's an... interesting... idea.

But no. Not unless the drop rate was increased enough that anyone would have a reasonable shot at getting them regularly as drops. Which I suspect isn't at all what the OP had in mind. 

• Like 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

3 minutes ago, RubyRed said:

So... the AH? Unless you meant that they should only be sold to vendors, which just seems wasteful. Why make them even more rare than they already are?

"Stupid" price is entirely relative to the market. If people are buying them for the prices listed, then it's not stupid. Heck, without purples people wouldn't have much to do with the billions of inf they're sitting on.

No, the focus of the idea is that they;re not transferable between players.  So nothing like AH

Just now, Redlynne said:

The OP and giving you credit for saying it first.

Thanks for the clarification.  I'm glad we can agree on something!  LOL 😆

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

49 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

Enhancement conversion.

I doubt I'll ever even get to -see- a Purple, let alone slot them . . . and even I shall say:  This is NOT the way to add longevity to the game.

Content which gives the players opportunities to personally express themselves will provide longevity.  ie:  Improved Base building and sharing tools.  Improved AE.  Improved character customization and costumization.  Additional content, preferably designed to provide adaptive and reactive outcomes.

Adding distant goals would interest -some- of the players, but not all of them.  Making an existing goal which is presently obtainable and twisting it into something distant would frustrate many players and encourage them to -leave,- not stay.  

• Like 5