ENOUGH with the Rikti

Mulligan

29 minutes ago, Mulligan said:

I just had to leave a zone. I was waiting for a friend to spawn Kronos, but I get attacked constantly.

A couple days, fine.

But this is out of hand. STOP IT.

Next week they will be over, Tuesday the 12th of May. It'll be ok, Live servers used to do it too, it's part of the experience. Many people do enjoy them, and it provides an easier time to get associated badges. It's only for 2 weeks, the associated time is very much to accommodate the fact there are players that only may play once or twice a week.

Edited by Snowdaze
  • Like 4

I have a Darkness Manipulation Proposal: Let me know what you think!

Every time there's one of these events:

"This has been going on too long, please stop it."

"Don't stop this when you said you were going to stop it."

"Why don't we do this forever?"

"Sirs, this is an Arby's."

Edited by Clave Dark 5
  • Like 8
  • Haha 6

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Events like these are really fun, and can add some really great unscripted excitement. I love it when the air raid sirens go off. I love taking shelter in a building and hearing the chaos outside. Even better the AE buildings as you can watch the ships fly by. I wish they would attack Atlas Park! 😈

You get debt protection so it’s not like that’s a worry. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

2 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Every time there's one of these events:

"This has been going on too long, please stop it."

"Don't stop this when you said you were going to stop it."

"Why don;'t we do this forever?"

"Sirs, this is an Arby's."

Things people say when you're naked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

When is Debt -ever- a worry?  The real punishment from Defeat is falling over and having to wait for the damn, bloody animation to get over with before being able to move again.  And unintended Hospital visits, if you don't have some workaround for that part.

• Like 2

TBH, I agree with the OP. I much prefer the Rikti zone invasions as they normally work - they come up infrequently enough to be novel, there's a bit of connection to what other players are doing (because you know someone just did LGTF), it's easy to get a team for the badges because of the event being infrequent. Now half the time it's just a nuisance when you're trying to do something else. I'd a similar gripe with how Nemesis invades half the city at once and drops about a hundred messages in Zone Events.

• Like 2

Homecoming Wiki  - please use it (because it reflects the game in 2020 not 2012) and edit it (because there is lots to do)

Things to do in City of Heroes, sorted by level.   Things to do in City of Villains, sorted by level.   Things only Incarnates can do in City of X.

Why were you kicked from your cross-alignment team? A guide.   A starting alignment flowchart  Travel power opinions

Get rid of the sidekick level malus and the 5-level exemplar power grace.

I feel the same way about the Nemesis ambushes (probably the most... blah, ad-hoc, slapped together feeling "invasions" in the game.) And, frankly, about the halloween event by the time the "eternal night" is about a week old. The Rikti invasions, by contrast, I happen to like. They feel like an *event* is going on.

They're timed. They have a start date and an end date, which are typically announced. Just sit tight.

Now, if you want to talk about bad dropship pathing, where you can't (for instance) exit the hospital in Skyway without getting blasted by a train of dropships, that's something else, and I'd say absolutely, ask that to be looked into. They *shouldn't* be getting that close to the hospital or trainers, and it's especially frustrating for a low level trying to get somewhere "around" the invasion. But otherwise, just remember it's timed and will be over soon.

• Like 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

2 hours ago, ArchVileTerror said:

When is Debt -ever- a worry?

When you live with a constant fear of failure which makes penalties of that nature hover over you like the persistent memory of that day when you walked into work still wearing your chicken feet bedroom slippers without realizing it, haunting you like derisive laughter, sly glances and barely hushed whispering behind your back, a source of humiliation and self-loathing which gnaws at you for the rest of your life and leaves you with an ashen, bitter feeling that drives you to burn...

WHY IS EVERYONE STARING AT ME?!  😠

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

15 minutes ago, Luminara said:

When you live with a constant fear of failure which makes penalties of that nature hover over you like the persistent memory of that day when you walked into work still wearing your chicken feet bedroom slippers without realizing it, haunting you like derisive laughter, sly glances and barely hushed whispering behind your back, a source of humiliation and self-loathing which gnaws at you for the rest of your life and leaves you with an ashen, bitter feeling that drives you to burn...

WHY IS EVERYONE STARING AT ME?!  😠

You are trying too hard... no rep for you!

I have a Darkness Manipulation Proposal: Let me know what you think!

9 hours ago, Mulligan said:

I just had to leave a zone. I was waiting for a friend to spawn Kronos, but I get attacked constantly.

A couple days, fine.

But this is out of hand. STOP IT.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, tidge said:

giphy.gif

Thank you for the Michael Ironside: always welcome.

• Thanks 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

Getting an invasion in the one zone that you need to clear a hunt mission or having Babbage fail to show up in your TF can definitely be annoying but I wouldn't really support shortening events. Not everyone has the luxury to play every day.

That said, there are more alarms going off than are probably needed. Particularly the overlapping ones. Trying to build a response team to hunt bombs in Steel is usually pretty futile when there's already a league fighting Rikti on the hill in Talos. Cutting the number of zone alarms triggered per wave by a third or so might make it easier to create event groups and reduce the inconvenience to uninterested players.

• Like 2

You could just fly up? Move? Fight them for lewts?

The thing I love best about this complaint is it boils down to, "the Rikti bothered me while I was standing around doing nothing."

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

If I don't feel like doing an event, I just don't do the event. Rikti are invading.  "that's nice"  *enters door mission*

I guess it can be more of an issue at low levels if they hit King's Row and there just are't many other places you can go, and you don't have a travel power yet, and they harrass you halfway across the zone before you can zone out.   If I didn't want to do the event then, I would just switch to an alt that has more levels and a decent travel power.  Or, I'd switch to a goldside character. No Rikti Invasions goldside.  and I really love the 1-20 Preatoria arcs.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, VV said:

You could just fly up? Move? Fight them for lewts?

Not everyone has fly, those that do run the risk of getting smacked by a dropship, and if you're on a lower level, fighting them is... not particularly fun. (Yes, they "scale." They don't do it well.)

Yes, I'm focusing more on the experience at lower levels here. There's a reason these don't spawn in Atlas, after all. Upper levels? Well, I tend to keep Ghost Falcon's unlock mission around because that *is* enjoyable - attacking hordes of Rikti on demand.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

1 minute ago, VV said:

Seriously? Do you not know about the P2W?

I'm well aware of it. Not everyone has fly, or a jetpack. Or wants them. One of the incredible things about this game is *options* in what you take or what you want.

And while *I* am aware of it, *not everyone is.* Not everyone is even aware of the P2W vendor, given the number of times it's asked about in help.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Mulligan said:

Did you try waiting it out in a train station, store, police HQ, hospital, university or Icon?  Those Rikti do not seem to like going indoors.

• Like 1

I just think the ship lasers are broken.  I was insta-gibbed on a character leveling in Steel Canyon.  Chat log said I was hit for 50 damage 8 times in one second.  

I mean I get they're trying to tell me to stay away from the ship, but ffs I was just talking to Valkyrie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Greycat said:

I'm well aware of it. Not everyone has fly, or a jetpack. Or wants them. One of the incredible things about this game is *options* in what you take or what you want.

And while *I* am aware of it, *not everyone is.* Not everyone is even aware of the P2W vendor, given the number of times it's asked about in help.

I admit, I do not use jetpacks that scream "Techonology!" on Magic-Origined characters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Replacement said:

I just think the ship lasers are broken.  I was insta-gibbed on a character leveling in Steel Canyon.  Chat log said I was hit for 50 damage 8 times in one second.  

I mean I get they're trying to tell me to stay away from the ship, but ffs I was just talking to Valkyrie.

Honestly, I think we need to get a list of these spots. I don't *think* we get smacked at Castle, for instance. But having (when they can) devs look at and maybe adjust some of the pathing wouldn't hurt.  Either that or have the lasers "strongly prefer" the trainers over the people there training.

• Like 2