How tough is Lord Recluse to you?

I have a WP/StJ tanker, fully slotted (thanks to the community giving me info) and fully incarnated, and tonight I joined a friend in the Ms Liberty Task Force.  Lord Recluse absolutely chumped me.

I knew he was going to be tough due to the buff beams but GEEZ!  It's really rattled my confidence as a tank.  How is he for all of you?

• Like 1

We thought we'd take on the Master of Evil, the Count of Cruel, the Archvillain of Anarchy, a top NPC archvillain and it didn't go well.

Old man voice, "Son, that sounds a lot like you took on the law, and the law won."

• Haha 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

A rotation of Demonic/Eye of the Magus then Barrier should get you through the red down at least.  An insp load to hit the numbers above (using greens in lieu of +regen)

Meat shields aren't my bag, but I have gone mano y mano with no tower cheese with 3 different characters on HC.  All lived through their encounters:

SR Tank - needs VERY attentive management, Rune, Barrier, Demonic, I have to use all the tricks and then keep some oranges on hand to last the duration.

WP Brute - I still rotate the above, but it's not as frantic.  Grab a few Arach minions to fuel RttC, especially the meleers

Rad  Armor Tank - pop the absorb shield and go afk to refill my drink.  EZ mode for LR.

From the "before days"

Invul tank - had an "A+" build amost on par with what you can make here.  The biggest risk was end drain from channel gun.  Had to have some t3 catch a breath (whatever they're called) just in case.

Dark Armor tank - struggled due to kb, even with, uh, I think about 12 kb mag protection from bonuses.  Had no kb resists though.

Be prepared for the onslaught of "I tanked him with my lvl 49 Defender" posts!

I've only actually "tanked" him on a MoMLTF with my Inv/NRG tank. His Endurance drains are very dangerous. I was flying and spamming may Taunt. Dull Pain (a power I almost never use at lvl 50+) was on auto, with me paying attention to Hasten and the Endurance bar. My team was pretty quick with the towers, I'm sure I had less than 20 hits of the Dull Pain pipe.

I *tried* to tank him with an uber-defense Night Widow (with Provoke... this is one of the few situations were Confront would have been better), managed to keep his attention *somehow*, but ONE HIT got through and dropped Endurance. It was all over except for tears...

I used a temporary jet pack to taunt him over to a tower, and then repeatedly spammed taunt on my Fire/Energy Tank. Didn’t get hit once. Was very stressful. He did knock me back a lot once I engaged him on the ground.

Like Reichsman, I prefer to bring a character with a healthy dose of defense to this fight.  My Invuln/Dark Melee, Shield/Fire, and Willpower/Mace all have enough and these are the tankers I would prefer to have here. 

Barrier Core at least t3 is extremely helpful.  I tend to just rush him in the middle where he stands and taunt.  Don't do anything other than taunt until Orange is down, no point in spending end you may need.  I hit Barrier and eat purples as needed.  Once she is actually able to hit him Heraclea is very hard to kill because of her Dark Melee self heal.  Barrier gives solid defense and resist for at least 45 seconds. 

I don't know how to glitch him by flying to the flags; have seen others do it, and missteps are costly. I prefer to just stand up to him.

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

17 hours ago, TheGentlemanGhostronaut said:

I have a WP/StJ tanker, fully slotted (thanks to the community giving me info) and fully incarnated, and tonight I joined a friend in the Ms Liberty Task Force.  Lord Recluse absolutely chumped me.

I knew he was going to be tough due to the buff beams but GEEZ!  It's really rattled my confidence as a tank.  How is he for all of you?

Pre incarnate he can be tough but not really if you are prepared.  Incarnates can finish filling holes to where with most builds its a cake walk.

I've tanked him with

invul/SS

Shield/SJ

Shield/Elec

Shield/Dark

Rad/Rad

Fire/psi

Fire/Fire

Brutes

Rad/Elec

Psi/Elec

Em/Invul

Scrapper

Kat/Nin

SJ/Nin

Ma/Nin

All Incarnates some not fully realized Incarnates yet.

A couple of times he hit me with the channelgun and I wasn't paying attention cause it was going good then my end crashed and toggles dropped.

But other than that I've managed to hold him at bay without too much trouble just spamming the T1 until it's time to unleash hell on him.

It probably disqualifies me, but my tank is Stone Armor. So I pull LR to a corner and hit him with auto-taunt then make dinner. Come back to the TF being over.

• Haha 3

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

36 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

he can be tough but not really if you are prepared.  Incarnates can finish filling holes to where with most builds its a cake walk.

+1

cake walk comes with experience

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

1 hour ago, Heraclea said:

Like Reichsman, I prefer to bring a character with a healthy dose of defense to this fight.  My Invuln/Dark Melee, Shield/Fire, and Willpower/Mace all have enough and these are the tankers I would prefer to have here. 

Barrier Core at least t3 is extremely helpful.  I tend to just rush him in the middle where he stands and taunt.  Don't do anything other than taunt until Orange is down, no point in spending end you may need.  I hit Barrier and eat purples as needed.  Once she is actually able to hit him Heraclea is very hard to kill because of her Dark Melee self heal.  Barrier gives solid defense and resist for at least 45 seconds. 

I don't know how to glitch him by flying to the flags; have seen others do it, and missteps are costly. I prefer to just stand up to him.

I’m pretty sure it’s abusing the -range from taunt along with Lord Recluses AI. Being by a tower/flag means he will constantly attempt to get within range of being able to hit you. I believe the tower makes this possible by allowing him to retarget when he jumps on it? I’m not sure. But I’ve only had that success by pulling him to something he can jump on, try to jump closer to me, fall all the way back down and repeat. When he’s on the ground he is out of range of my taunt, but when he jumps I can taunt him. If you get the distance just right he will never actually activate any power to even try to hit you. 

6 hours ago, Apparition said:

Ageless Raial Destiny is your friend,  Laugh as Lord Recluse tries to sap your endurance in vain.

Wouldn't it be ageless core for the constant recovery buff?

Edited by Infinitum

10 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

Wouldn't it be ageless core for the constant recovery buff?

Either or, really.  I tanked Lord Recluse on a Master MLTF using Ageless Radial Destiny, and the endurance debuff just tickled.  I barely noticed it.

I tanked on the first successful all scrapper STF, tanking with a scrapper ofc, I did all the tanking with a Claws/SR, I also did Mender Silos TF free all hostages solo with that SR before incarnates.

For me it doesn't matter what Tanker idea you put together, I'm a gonna tank with it. I will tank GW in melee for over 10 mins unaided and go through unstoppable crashes for sport in front of her with an invuln if I want. If it's insane to someone I like it. On my first tank I tanked all the Praetorians before I got to lvl32.

You can go lengthy periods in melee, or lengthier periods, melee to range, turn AVs, work with their recharge times, kite out of range some, kite to in and out of range, the options are all there, but to develop some skill with some of what I said I had to take it to test server and spend time playing around with options. I pretty much played different tanks, preferably anarchic pugs anonymously. Team make up doesn't matter, play to strengths with what you got, powersets don't matter, enjoy your concept, even if you want to rotp a lot, but get taunt and get on test server with the beasts.

Some players make their characters all about them, if it doesn't help them, they don't want it, their build advice to you will ofcourse be about making your character the best thing that helps them too if they ever team with you, because it's always about them.

Here's what you want to shoot for if you're melee tanking him:

S/L/E Resistance of 90% while the Red Tower's active (it doubles his damage)

S/L/E Defense of 75% while the Blue Tower's active (it gives him 30% to hit AND Speed Boost so he's hitting you more often)

High endurance drain resistance (Stone Rooted or Electric Armor) or a couple big blue insps if his end drain hits. If your primary doesn't have this then you're SOL and need to carry Blues for when that drain hits.  If your defense is high enough he won't hit very often.

Until the Yellow/Orange tower dies don't bother attacking him, just spam Taunt.  That tower gives him a MASSIVE defense bonus so you'll only hit him 5% of the time.  Also, by not attacking you're not wasting endurance, this can be huge if his end drain hits.  If your end is full when he hits with it you'll drop to, if I remember correctly, around 10-20% endurance.  If your end is NOT full when he hits with his drain your toggles drop and a second later so do you.

With my tankers I go into the last mission with roughly this inspiration load out:

8 big Purples

4 big Oranges (depending on the tank)

2 big Greens (if he gets lucky)

2 big Blues (if the end drain hits)

I'll modify it some depending on my tanker, I want to have enough Oranges to maintain 90% S/L/E Resistance until the Red tower dies, enough Purples to maintain 75% S/L/E Defense until the Blue tower dies and the emergency green/blue for backup.

LR is a tough foe to tank when he's buffed by the towers, but you can use your insp tray to compensate long enough for your team to down the Red and Blue towers.  Once they're down he hits about like a normal AV so presuming you can handle AV's you should be good while the team kills the final two towers.

• Thanks 1

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler