Dominators need more options.. Water Assault??

Looking at the list of AT's (not including HEATs or VEATs). Dominators have the least amount of combinations to choose from. This needs to be rectified 
From my counting of the total possible combinations per AT this is what I see ( and my math might be slightly off, I might have missed one set but I believe the point I am sharing is still extremely valid)

Tanks-242

Brutes-286

Scrappers-247

Controllers-144

Blasters-169

Sentinels-156

Stalker-221

Corruptor/Defender-208
MasterMind-112

Dominators-88

Dominators flat out have the LEAST amount of combinations and among the assault types whether melee or ranges they lag PITIFULLY far behind in choices. The Sentinel which is a new AT has 68 MORE combinations and they are the new kids on the block. 

Give the Dominators some Love... How About Water Assault? That should be easy to port over. How about Sonic Assault.. A Dual Pistols Dominator ??? 

Its time for the Dominator to get some love.. 

Not sure where you get "easy to port over".

Assault sets are a mix of melee and ranged, sometimes with a splash of control / utility.

They won't just port the existing Water Blast / Sonic / Dual Pistols blast sets as-is, nor should they.

Now, I'll agree, I'd like more Assault sets to exist.  But any new set should fit or at least approximate the existing models.

Edited by MTeague
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, MTeague said:

Assault sets are a mix of melee and ranged, sometimes with a splash of control / utility.

They won't just port the existing Water Blast / Sonic / Dual Pistols blast sets as-is, nor should they.

Now, I'll agree, I'd like more Assault sets to exist.  But any new set should fit or at least approximate the existing models.

I realize that there is a mix of melee and ranged attacks. Yet they will not have to totally make entire powersets from scratch. You could use some of the Ice Melee attacks, change the graphic to look more like water.. You could take the fire Sword and fire sword circle.. color it blue.. water sword..  make it cold damage.. 

There are things that could be done.. that isnt reinventing the wheel. 

I really hope that Control, Assault, and Henchpet Sets are going to receive preferential attention, as there is certainly a dearth of representation in those categories.

However, balancing a new Set isn't a simple process, at least not to Homecoming's standards.

Your best bet to help this process along would be to compile the numbers for your proposed Sets, and then run them through the theoretical number grinder.  Get some DPA, DPS, and DPE values charted out.  Bonuses points if they're in a visual graph format.

No; this isn't a joke or me trying to be cheeky.  Doing that level of work is likely to be the best method to encourage the Homecoming Team to seriously consider their addition.  The less work they have to do themselves, the better your position will be to get them in.

I'm juggling too many geese of my own right now, but I would be happy to provide some assistance to you if you would like to make this a community project.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, MTeague said:

To add on to this, I'd like to see archetypes beyond just Dominator utilize Assault sets. A huge reason quite frankly that Controls, "Henchpet", and Assault sets have such few combinations to roll is due to the unfortunate fact that very few ATs use these sets at all. The only AT that uses "Henchpets" is the Mastermind, the only AT that utilizes Assault sets is Dominators, and only two ATs contribute Controls. I think making more ATs that actually make use of these sets in unique ways is another avenue that should be explored to encourage more of these sets to be designed.

Although, this is HC not Paragon Studios. I do not have that level of expectation for a small team of devs (especially in these times) that I do with a company with extensive funding/resources to develop these ideas.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, 0th Power said:

Off the top of my head, I’m sure they’ve been suggested before...

Other things that could be a dominator secondary:

street justice assault (sj and pistols)

Professor/adventurer assault (whips and punches)

Yup I've suggested(& I'm sure others have too) both a

-Street Assault (StJ + Chain/Elemental Whip Ranged Attacks)

&

-Gunfu Assault (Mixing MA & StJ Melee with Pistol Ranged Attacks)

Edited by Chance Jackson

15 hours ago, Heatstroke said:

I realize that there is a mix of melee and ranged attacks. Yet they will not have to totally make entire powersets from scratch. You could use some of the Ice Melee attacks, change the graphic to look more like water.. You could take the fire Sword and fire sword circle.. color it blue.. water sword..  make it cold damage.. 

There are things that could be done.. that isnt reinventing the wheel. 

All dew respect(pun intended) I think it's better to do it right, in a way that will truly be appreciated then to phone it in by replicating the elemental sword attacks

• Like 1

Just now, SeraphimKensai said:

I'd argue that Peacebringers and Warshades have the least Powerset combinations possible.

That said I do agree with proliferation of additional powersets as appropriate.

Hm.   Actually Peacebringer/Warshade might be good existing sets to draw from to build a thematic Assault Set.

There's several blasts and punches in the humanform trees. Some single target, some Cones, some targetted AE.

They might need to adjust scaling.  and they might need to ask themselves "do we WANT do to that, does it start robbing the Khelds of uniqueness?"

But if they didn't mind that, you could probably slap together nine powers of varying strength that do the right mix of melee/ranged/utility to form a decent Assault set.

Wouldn't mind seeing 1-2 new control sets and 2-3 new assault sets.  For the control side of things I get that it'd be hard to come up with something fresh but the Knives of Vengeance have some nasty stuff I bet could be implemented.  As for the assaults yeah you'd have to dabble a bit here and there from other power sets but there's plenty to round out something nice, it's just fine tuning would need to take place along with finding the time to do it.  

Honestly if we just get a Whip assault set I'd be quite happy with just that.  I mean it just makes too much sense for doms to have whips right?  If we had whip assault unique to doms which might make some others jealous I'd totally have no problem with still having the smallest combinations.  

I feel like Assault sets probably wouldn't/shouldn't be as high of a priority just because they're only available as Dominator secondaries.  Rather, it's more time-efficient to create more Control sets, since two different ATs would benefit from those.

...unless, of course, HC wanted to create a whole new AT again and give them Assault sets, too, or something?

8 minutes ago, Lazarillo said:

I feel like Assault sets probably wouldn't/shouldn't be as high of a priority just because they're only available as Dominator secondaries.  Rather, it's more time-efficient to create more Control sets, since two different ATs would benefit from those.

...unless, of course, HC wanted to create a whole new AT again and give them Assault sets, too, or something?

I wish they'd give sentinels access to assault sets

9 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

I'd argue that Peacebringers and Warshades have the least Powerset combinations possible.

That said I do agree with proliferation of additional powersets as appropriate.

Looking at the list of AT's (not including HEATs or VEATs).....

16 hours ago, MTeague said:

There's several blasts and punches in the humanform trees. Some single target, some Cones, some targetted AE.

They might need to adjust scaling.  and they might need to ask themselves "do we WANT do to that, does it start robbing the Khelds of uniqueness?"

Unless you add shapeshifting and 1-50 storylines, then no. (And I'm saying this as someone who loves Khelds.) Heck, if you look at the powersets, they're heavily borrowing from existing sets *anyway* in a lot of cases. 

Heck, you could say it was already done. Look at an En/En blast powerset, a Peacebringer - then Energy Assault.

• Like 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 7/1/2020 at 8:12 PM, Machariel said:

I'd really like to see one based on the whip attacks from Demon Summoning.  I think Thunderspy has it under Psychokinetic Assault.

Would enjoy if the animation for Hell on earth were reused for a TAoE high damage DoT. 

30 minutes ago, Indystruck said:

A good "natural" origin primary would be interesting. Like... Arsenal Control or something, with tasers and grenades and the like.

Have heard rumors Utility Belt will include things like Bolas.  That could be a nice device-y way to work in a Hold to a natural Control set, if the animation was over-the-top and wrapped yoru arms as well as your legs.

• Like 1