Origin swap

Is there any way to have null the gull let players switch our origin. I know it’s just cosmetic really but like some characters I have created along the way I renamed and now their origin doesn’t fit the character. Just wondered if this could just be changed 

• Like 3

Now this is something I do think should be in order. Not necessarily as game-breaking or as significant as another update may be, but it would allow for more recreations of a character's bio and versatility story-wise. A lot of us choose an origin for our characters on creation believing that particular origin will carry through the character's life, however, lots of times a new concept/backstory of the powersets emerges and it sparks a more interesting theme for such characters. However, the origin remains limiting, as say a character imbued with magical artifacts in a later story, does not mesh well with the primary origin of being "natural," as this character would then be of a magic origin, which leads to the fact that the origin is now "outdated." Having such an option to change character origin also imposes very little game-play implications.

+1

• Like 1

From the understanding we were given, there are four things baked in so deeply that no, they can't be changed - AT, primary, secondary and origin.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

34 minutes ago, Zeraphia said:

Now this is something I do think should be in order. Not necessarily as game-breaking or as significant as another update may be, but it would allow for more recreations of a character's bio and versatility story-wise. A lot of us choose an origin for our characters on creation believing that particular origin will carry through the character's life, however, lots of times a new concept/backstory of the powersets emerges and it sparks a more interesting theme for such characters. However, the origin remains limiting, as say a character imbued with magical artifacts in a later story, does not mesh well with the primary origin of being "natural," as this character would then be of a magic origin, which leads to the fact that the origin is now "outdated." Having such an option to change character origin also imposes very little game-play implications.

+1

Well... Origin is your Origin... it's not necessarily the source of your powers TODAY, just the source of your powers when you got started.

Still, I see no harm / anything unbalancing in allowing it to be changed.  It wouldnt' be like allowing you a different AT or different primary/secondary powersets.

I mean . . . if it's baked deep in to the code (haven't tracked it down myself, so I'm not sure), what if we coded -around- it?  Like they did with Alignments.

"Just" largely suppress the original Origin code at each call function, and build a new truly-cosmetic one over top.  The first Origin you select also doubles as your now-hidden original-Origin, but the superficial Origin would be rerollable.  

What's the over-under on something like that being workable and worthwhile?  How feasible?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

I mean . . . if it's baked deep in to the code (haven't tracked it down myself, so I'm not sure), what if we coded -around- it?  Like they did with Alignments.

"Just" largely suppress the original Origin code at each call function, and build a new truly-cosmetic one over top.  The first Origin you select also doubles as your now-hidden original-Origin, but the superficial Origin would be rerollable.  

What's the over-under on something like that being workable and worthwhile?  How feasible?

Sounds plausible, yet also likely to compound the spaghetti.

Even if you built around the baked-in origin, I think you would still have to grab the SO/DO for the hidden origin. Probably not an issue in the OP's situation, just saying...

• Like 1

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

Origin is so baked into the code that it would break things if this was attempted.  <-- Short version of the answer from an old thread.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

I have a toon that has Alien, Magic, Mutation, Natural, Science, and Technology origins all mixed together. In fact, most of my toons have a combination of 2-3 origins, or they are Aliens, so I have never felt the origin system was all that great of an idea. I deal with it in character details...

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

I've never gotten why people think "or they are aliens" is somehow breaking or incompatible with the origin system. It's essentially a "nationality," not a power origin. It's like saying the system doesn't fit because your character is from Brazil.

Alien comes in with a ray gun? It's an alien with tech origin to its powers.

Alien comes in that's really strong like the rest of its race? Alien with natural origin, and so on.

Now, there *are* plenty of issues with the origin system, sure, and there are many mixed concepts it drops the ball on. On the other hand, it has so little impact... *shrug*

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.