What would you change aesthetically?

TraumaTrain

On 9/25/2020 at 4:15 PM, Yomo Kimyata said:

Villain side aesthetics. 

This for both hero side and villain side.  A lot of the architecture and outdoors textures are very drab, rather aggressively desaturated imo, and look pretty bad.  I like the look of Praetoria and the Atlas Park make over.  More like that please.

It's ok for some areas to be more drab than others, but for every zone to be like this is really painful to watch.

There's probably a lot more I could nitpick over but that's one of the big ones for me personally.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 9:07 PM, Chris24601 said:

Frankly, I want to take all the beautiful buildings and improved atmospherics of Praetoria and put them into Paragon City. Re-establish the notion that Paragon and Praetoria are mirrors of each other to justify it.

Not just that, but to establish the feeling that Paragon City didn't have each zone built all at once -- there needs to be some alleviation of the endless Brutalist architecture. Compare Echo:Atlas Park to Atlas Park, and you'll see what was done to update it, butiif you look at Imperial City in Praetoria, it looks much more as if the buildings were constructed over time, rather than being all constructed at the same time, the way the zones in Paragon City look. The zones other than Atlas Park don't need updating so much as they need backdating -- showing that the city grew up over time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

Not just that, but to establish the feeling that Paragon City didn't have each zone built all at once -- there needs to be some alleviation of the endless Brutalist architecture. Compare Echo:Atlas Park to Atlas Park, and you'll see what was done to update it, butiif you look at Imperial City in Praetoria, it looks much more as if the buildings were constructed over time, rather than being all constructed at the same time, the way the zones in Paragon City look. The zones other than Atlas Park don't need updating so much as they need backdating -- showing that the city grew up over time.

Throw some Googie up in that place!  Glass!  Sweeping points!  Starbursts and rocket fins!

❤️

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

I would love it if some of the more interesting structures had internal space, or were doors to SGbase style spaces. I like walking around the actual world instead of going into base portals to enter RP spaces. I always thought it would be great if you could designate a superhero space as "being a door in world" and then making it accessable by clicking that door all the time. naturally it's not something you'd always want, but it would be nice if the city felt alive.

I'd love more costume options of course. stockings on feet which can then go in small shoes. more hair styles, more makeup for faces with much of it broken up so your eyes don't match your lips.

I wouldn't mind some bus stops. within the same zone you click on a bus stop, and move to another spot in the zone instantly, for those really long zones.

i would also LOOOOOVE if furniture in SG bases and in the world could be 'snapped to'. like you walk up to it, click on it. little menu, pick lady-like sit animation, then you sit in it correctly without having to jump on it an adjust

i woulud also love a lot more sit/chair/bench/ledge sit animations for varoius styles of character.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Umagon 23 said:

I wouldn't mind some bus stops. within the same zone you click on a bus stop, and move to another spot in the zone instantly, for those really long zones.

That is a really good idea.

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Animations / Customization

Travel power animations having the option in the tailor like powersets has. Examples:

Super Speed: Original / Bright / Dark / Minimal Effects / Ninja Run / Beast Run / Glide

Flight: Original / Color / Flypose 1 / flypose2 / flypose3 / flypose4 

Teleport: NO hover when teleporting to ground please!! (like the jaunt from power pools)

Jump can't really do much about that xD

Also, having NPC run animations - hear me out...

A tank, going to grab mobs, comes around the corner with the scared run animation that npcs usually have. Have it a macro type button like Walk available please! NPC animations needed on us heroes too!

Your friendly neighborhood,

Unreal o/

• Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 4:31 PM, FoulVileTerror said:

ALTHOUGH . . . what if it -is- an NPC of another player?

Do a Bank Heist, then upon Exit get a dialogue option giving you the choice as to whether or not the likeness of your Villain gets used in the next Hero's Safeguard as an NPC with the Dopple-script tied to it.

Likewise for Heroside.

It would be asynchronous, but it would definitely expand on the potential variety of threats in Mayhems/Safeguards.

THIS^^^^

• Thanks 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

Arachnos bases and Grandville are themed to work with Recluse's eyesight.  He prefers darkness and gloom, not because of the aesthetic but because of how the Well of the Furies changed him.  That's the narrative reason anyway.

Edited by Darmian
  • Like 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

1 hour ago, srmalloy said:

Yeah, there's lots of nice touches.  Like the Lodestone Technologies building.  It looks a bit off for a tech place and then you see a little sign on the wall that says it used to be a theater, and stepping back, yep, that kinda has a theater look to it.

On 9/30/2020 at 4:53 AM, FoulVileTerror said:

I'll try another format.

Play as Villain.

Complete a Mayhem Mission.

Receive dialogue box with the choice of placing an NPC copy of your Villain in to a queue for the next Hero Safeguard Mission to be the "final boss" of the Heist.

This NPC copy will work similarly to the Dopplegangers of Positron 1 / the Clones of Dean MacArthur's Story Arc.

Player of a Hero starts a Safeguard Mission.

They receive a dialogue box offering to give them a stronger challenge in the form of a player's Villain character.  

If they decline, the Hero just gets the regular NPC Villain which normally spawns.  If they accept, they receive a player-made Villain.

There's a lot more we could do with this as well, but this is just the basic idea.

WANT.  However first they need to fix the Doppelganger mechanics for MMs.  Most of the time they don't summon their pets until you hit them, and by then, unless you've upped your diff to 4/8, it's too later for them.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, @Ghost said:

W e a t h e r.

I want to bless the rains down in Astoria.

I think Kings Row could do with some rain, give it a dingier look that is "earned" rather than just beat up.

• Like 1

Can at least ONE of the cinemas be showing something other than "Rise of The Council: The Broken Column"?

I reckon that the monthly update could  change those signs maybe.

10 minutes ago, Darmian said:

I think Kings Row could do with some rain, give it a dingier look that is "earned" rather than just beat up.

YES. Kings Row is always the "Batman" zone to me (don't ask me why, it just feels that way), and I feel like rainy dingy Kings Row would serve to accentuate that feeling dramatically.

Throwing my agreement in about the zone aesthetics. Paragon City needs some facelifting. I also love the idea of the changes to make it more alive, like traffic (both vehicle and foot), and changes over time. I would adore watching the city recover from a battle - especially when there's an event like a Rikti invasion or something like that - gradually over time. And a restaurant or some other location that actually has visuals in the city would lend itself nicely to RP. Pocket D is nice, but it feels so removed from the city sometimes. Imagine a restaurant where not only players but NPC's could also come in and out. Would make me feel like I'm part of the city, like it's a home that matters to me even on my "down time" when I'm taking a break from heroing.

All in all, I would really enjoy the zones each having their own unique aesthetic. I love King's Row as it is, and Atlas Park's facelift I think really helped it. As people have said, Steel Canyon needs a little something that really accentuates the fact that it is the "financial center" of the city, with unique architecture and designs. I wouldn't mind if Skyway City got a little love, though I do like the zone's overall theme as a "travel hub" that also has somewhat fallen to the wayside in recent years. There's a lot of opportunity to facelift in a way that retains the game's identity, while also really accentuating the things that make the different zones unique.

Liberty and Virtue server refugee. Everlasting resident.

Main/Planned Characters:

• Astellus - Kinetic/Energy/Mu Scrapper (Magic)
  • Plasmitar - Radiation/Energy/Flame Blaster (Science)
  • Scionic - Psychic/Atomic/Soul Blaster (Mutation)
  • Safehouse - Street Justice/Energy Aura Scrapper (Magic)
  • Starshear - Energy/Atomic/Force Blaster (Science)
  • Neonstar - Luminous/Luminous Peacebringer (Natural)
  • Faerwald - Gravity/Energy/Psionic Dominator (Science)
  • Fomalhaut - Rad/Rad Sentinel (Science)

It's important to remember that Paragon City looks the way it does, in the context of the narrative, because the Rikti blew lots of it up and what we see is mostly rebuilt after the war.

I mean, that was probably just a justification to help explain away the lack of diverse building material assets at the time, and seeing progress and repair since the war that took place roughly 20 years ago would be nice . . . just saying that the existing architecture isn't entirely unreasonable either.

At least . . . the -exterior- architecture.  

• Like 1

Where the hell is the Morway Theater?!!

When I first encountered Kings Row, I started wondering why I never saw anybody in the windows. I would like to see more citizens in windows, say, waving as you fly by. The upper airspace of Paragon feels too empty. Maybe window washers occasionally cleaning skyscraper windows. Or maybe a spider attack where the nests are top of the buildings and they glide down on webs to terrorize the populace. I enjoy the Halloween theme in the windows and would like to see more of that.

Overall, I would like to see more activity in the zones to make them feel more alive, like the cranes in Independence Port actually moving containers or more boats in the water.

• Like 1

An actual train station.  Like to somewhere else in the country.  Or a Greyhound depot.  Or an airport?  

Or a church/temple/mosque? Lots of graveyards though. A court house? Gotta be one of those!  Plenty of police, a giant prison, bail bond guys and Chris Jenkins has offices everywhere so... court house?  Seat of government? Sure, City Hall.  Where's the Mayor?  Who's the Mayor?! The DA?  Can we have an election? What does Governor Raimondo think of Paragon? Or whoever her CoXverse equivalent is. Firehouse? I only ever see one brave Fire Chief, where's the rest of the Reel and Hose gang?  (Apart from Fireman Steve obviously, but him and his gang are special).

Where's that Heroes retirement home situated?  How about Pinnacle Apartments? 

Edited by Darmian

I'm just going to link my post from another thread about the bigbutt changes I'd make if I could have my way with the game's aesthetics.

Some changes not listed here, if I could have it would include:

• Seasons and weather - probably something not felt as much in the Rogue Isles*, but Rhode Island is part of the New England region of North America which gives rise to some stunning seasonal changes. Admittedly, not all would be represented (very well) but just having four month seasons of Summer/Spring, Autumn, and Winter could be cool. (which, going beyond aesthetics I'd like to tie to a rotation of zone events and event special seasonal contacts/arcs). Similarly like out of Final Fantasy XIV, you'd get an assortment of sunshine, overcast, fog, rain, snow, hail, and storms depending on the season in place.
  • Related to the above Day/night cycle adjustments - basically what it says on the title. In-game day during summer and spring being 40 Realtime minutes of day and 20 Realtime minutes of night, Autumn having half hour of day and night evenly, and finally in winter the nights are 35 minutes to 25 of daytime. Also, because my ideal version of City of would include world hopping, day and night cycle would also vary based on some of the zones you're in, subtly, my own version of Croatoa being set in Maine would get rounded up to the Atlantic timezone and placed an hour ahead, while the American Southwest would be two hours behind Paragon. Also the Antarctic Rikti Warzone would reflect the 'six months of day/six months of night' thing that happens near the poles.

On 10/20/2020 at 1:28 PM, FoulVileTerror said:

It's important to remember that Paragon City looks the way it does, in the context of the narrative, because the Rikti blew lots of it up and what we see is mostly rebuilt after the war.

The problem is that the vast majority of the architecture is heavily Brutalist, which was a popular architectural style in the 1950s through the late '60s, and was largely over by the late 1970s and early '80s, so it wouldn't have been featured so heavily in a post-Rikti reconstruction. However, Brutalism has had influences on high-tech construction, which Paragon Studios adapted neatly with the revamped buildings in Atlas Park and similar buildings in Kallisti Wharf.