Origin Change

Wavicle

Give us the ability to change origin please.

I would be perfectly happy if this was a "once per character" thing or if it cost a substantial amount of influence or if it was time limited like server transfers.

Just please, let us change origin at least once per character after entering the game.

• Like 3

Its buried in the spaghetti code

Its easy to revoke and select another origin power then play it off as

"Exposed to magical energies, XYZ's inherent mutation kicked in"

"Taping into another world, XYZ built a suit of power armor to harness the demonic energy"

"XYZ, a natural born citizen with no super powers one day received a spider bite that turned him into a cyborg robot"

"XYZ was so advanced into magic they had it down to a science"

Edited by Outrider_01
  • Like 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

5 hours ago, Wavicle said:

Yes, it’s clearly not important enough to invest a lot of dev resources, I agree.

Just out of curiosity (and, I think I may know why you want this, but just in case I am wrong, I'll ask anyway) why are you wanting this implemented?

I have a couple of characters where, after the fact,  I realized the origin doesn't really match up with the powersets I picked.

So yeah, I could see value in this.   But it would introduce an issue with what to do with slotted enhancements that do not match

the new origin - could be a can of worms the Devs wouldn't want to open.

Edited by krj12

There's probably not enough potential payoff for what could be a hack into the spaghetti code.  Mechanically, origin doesn't matter after about level 10 except one or two missions (I'm thinking of the Origin of Power arc, in particular) and what store you buy your enhancements from (which doesn't matter after level 22, since you'll start slotting IOs).

On Live, the devs seemed pretty adamant about not allowing changes to origin except by rerolling.  (Origin, AT, Primary, and Secondary are the things you can't change with a respec, for instance.)  With so little actually on the line, that tells me they were afraid of accidentally breaking something critical.

As far as story, I was dissatisfied with the origin I chose on Live for my main.  Since there's so little mechanical difference (or even game-driven story), it was easy to pretend I'd chosen something else.  (Minor inconsistencies appear all over the place in comic books!)  I corrected it when rolling on HC.

Edited by FrauleinMental
  • Like 1

Yeah, origin, AT, primary and secondary are baked so deeply into the code that, as I recall, it would not be an insignificant thing to make it changeable.  (Heck, I'm guessing it's a carryover from the original design where origin would do things like define just how *many* powers you could take and update and such.)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

The way the code is: origin, at, primary, and secondary get essentially hard baked in to each character. It's not impossible to change, but would require substantial effort to do so.

It would probably be easier to add an option to unlock a secondary origin or character development option to allow us to build off the origin powersets.

That said once all the origin powersets are done, I think if you have a matching origin, you should get a +15% bonus to matching origin powers, and if they ever add a secondary origin, then a 5% bonus to those.

6 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Just out of curiosity (and, I think I may know why you want this, but just in case I am wrong, I'll ask anyway) why are you wanting this implemented?

I rolled a new controller, hit Science just to move forward in character creation, then realized at level 16 I had not changed it to Magic when I decided my character concept. So I rerolled, but I would have preferred not to have to do so.

3 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

I rolled a new controller, hit Science just to move forward in character creation, then realized at level 16 I had not changed it to Magic when I decided my character concept. So I rerolled, but I would have preferred not to have to do so.

Okay, then my thoughts on why you wanted this was wrong. Okay, sorry to disturb, I had to satisfy my curiosity, heh.

2 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

What was your guess?

I thought maybe you were a bit like me and always picked Science because the Tranq Dart Rocks for low levels. So you got stuck with something else. If that were the case, I was going to explain to you how you can switch them without switching your origin, however, since that had absolutely nothing to do with it...   😄

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wavicle said:

Yeah my reasons are entirely RP. There is absolutely no mechanical reason, no real reason as it were. Just to save the annoyance of rerolling because of a tiny non-combat related mistake.

Save costume, save power selection colors for primary/secondary, delete, remake character with proper origion, reload costume and power set colors, confirm and P2W -> 1 hour 2XP -> 15-20 mins tops to get to mid teens if not faster.  Unless your adamant on running all content, fastest way.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

2 minutes ago, Outrider_01 said:

Save costume, save power selection colors for primary/secondary, delete, remake character with proper origion, reload costume and power set colors, confirm and P2W -> 1 hour 2XP -> 15-20 mins tops to get to mid teens if not faster.  Unless your adamant on running all content, fastest way.

Yes, that’s exactly what I did. However it’s a lot more than 15-20 minutes depending on time of day. And it’s still annoying regardless.

• Like 2

Just wanted to chime in my support for this idea. Many times back on live I'd make a character and leave the origin on a random option at the start, changed concept mid powers/costume selection and forgotten to go back and change it. Lucky since origin affects next to nothing mechanically anymore, but frustrating nonetheless when you've invested time into a character and only notice it hours later with no way to go back other than starting over with all that time having been wasted. Not something I've personally done on Homecoming I think, since it's baked into my brain to double check the ID badge at the end now!

Code troubles notwithstanding and it being possible to implement an origin change, I could see this likely being implemented in game in one of the following ways.

1. Override: The Null the Gull option, similar to how the game allows you to easy-change alignment via dialogue, quick and simple.
  2. Cost: Via the P2W Vendor, again similar to Null but more easily accessible zone wise. Could then have an associated inf cost or other trade-in required.
  3. Narrative: Via Tip Missions or other contact. For instance, after level 20 a special tip mission could be gained that upon Investigation would give you 4 options corresponding to each of the other Origins. A short mission then ends with an interaction that affects your being so fundamentally that it changes your origin based on the option chosen earlier. 
Edited by Aberrant
  • Like 1

Check out the Unofficial Homecoming Wiki! Contributions welcome!

On 10/14/2020 at 11:21 AM, Aberrant said:

Narrative: Via Tip Missions or other contact. For instance, after level 20 a special tip mission could be gained that upon Investigation would give you 4 options corresponding to each of the other Origins. A short mission then ends with an interaction that affects your being so fundamentally that it changes your origin based on the option chosen earlier. 

I want to throw my support behind this. Having the wrong Origin isn't a game breaker and it would give your character a sense of change through the experience of the mission. Possibly add enemy heroes (Elite Bosses) who are complaining how everyone treats them for X because of their origin. (Super-group members constantly think they are magic and asking them to do things magically (like order pizza)).

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kelika2 said:

Every Incarnate is Magic origin, no reason to change things up when everything in the end is Magic

Unless you ignore said storyline all together - given the slots unlock and items drop without going through the arcs, after all.

(And yes, this is one of the irksome things with the well. I don't like my character being railroaded. I don't like several of the morality missions, especially redside, because of this.)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.