Why Do We Need Quantums?

Bugsydor

I don't have a problem with Quantum enemies existing in their current state.

What I DO have a problem with is them spawning in missions where the enemies are friendly and you aren't supposed to attack, random spawns are quantums and proceed to shoot you with their laser guns.

NOW THAT IS IMMERSION BREAKING

I did the Skulls story arc the other day with friends and we barely survived the mission where we have to infiltrate a skulls hideout disguised as skulls with the crappy powerset. Normally this is a trivial in and out mission where you talk to people and do a little arena fight. Not so easy when a stupid quantum randomly spawns in the mission and starts shooting you through your disguise.

For this reason alone I am on the "get rid of quantum asap" team

• Like 3

On 11/24/2020 at 7:18 PM, Bugsydor said:

Today, I am going to complain about a feature that has been in the game for a very long time.

There are exactly two archetypes in the game that have enemies that exist purely to give them a bad time: Peacebringers and Warshades. Sure, invuln tankers have to deal with a psi hole, but they don't have to deal with heavy, them-specific stuns. (And kheldians have that same psi-hole, too, minus a WS's eclipse).

Maybe it was necessary for balance purposes at some point in the nebulous past, but that point is clearly past. Can't we just have them removed from the game? Or maybe just restricted to the kheldian story arc missions? Heck, keep them in but change the guns to not stun and to do psi damage so they still target a weak point. They make leveling a kheld a huge pain, as things currently stand.

I would buy 8 hrs worth of the status protection from the PW2 vendor at lvl 1 it will only cost 8k influence. I would refresh again when 1 hr wears off this will prob be around lvl 10. This will get you through the tough part of a nova build till you get the Dwarf power. I can tell you I have a PB that is vet lvl 160 I do not even notice the Quantum anymore.

Edited by PhaseZero
missed an I

I haven't noticed them at all. Both my WS and PB are IO'd to the gills and have at least T3 Incarnate powers. Even when leveling they didn't seem to be an issue. Targeting macro to find the buggers hiding in a group and take them out first. I do remember the voids being a real pain when HEAT's came out. Have two of them in a group and you were eating dirt for sure. See a cyst? Dirt cakes for lunch. There was more skill involved. Now it is just Leeeeeroy Jenkin's the mobs and go on to the next one.

On 12/22/2020 at 10:36 AM, dopeninja said:

I haven't noticed them at all. Both my WS and PB are IO'd to the gills and have at least T3 Incarnate powers. Even when leveling they didn't seem to be an issue. Targeting macro to find the buggers hiding in a group and take them out first. I do remember the voids being a real pain when HEAT's came out. Have two of them in a group and you were eating dirt for sure. See a cyst? Dirt cakes for lunch. There was more skill involved. Now it is just Leeeeeroy Jenkin's the mobs and go on to the next one.

I agree now they are not even note-worthy, but at launch they were 1 shot killers who zeroed in on Khelds and debt meant something.

Edited by Ohsirus

• 3 weeks later

I miss the old powerful anti-Kheldian spawns. I found them to be a fun challenge especially on teams, and made a point to target the quantums first. I also remember having memorized the locations they were most likely to spawn in because that was something I had to know. It was fun to have a personal nemesis to fight and take it on anyway.

The stuff now is fine and not even slightly unfair.

Also, that quote about "turning out fine" is a reference to child abuse or bullying. No one has been abused by quantum gunners.

Edited by BelleSorciere

• 1 month later

I had a 50 PB back in i5. I have to say voids were an absolute nightmare. They would kill you in 1~2 shots. Now they are just annoying. I do think they are kind of an outdated mechanic but after reading the comments I see that lore reason for them resonates more than I thought it would.

Some ideas to mix it up:
So all Khelds are team orientated right? so what if voids did something similar. Not so much unresistable outright damage but instead a mega debuff. Maybe an effect like Venom Grenade but longer duration or 1.33x the effectiveness vs Khelds. This would enable the mob to do more damage to the Kheld making it more dangerous in a larger group.
If it effected the entire team as normal but hit Khelds harder that "Kill the VOID!" mentality would be more predominant.

What would you do to make Voids more of a threat in a way that doesn't outright erase a Kheld?

Unpopular Opinion, They need to add back CYST Spawns and such. The game is horribly easy, that added a challenge. Quantums should in no way be taken away. They are super easy to deal with but at least it gives you some sort of challenge.

• Like 4

• 1 month later
20 minutes ago, Darkhorsedan said:

I've encountered plenty of Quantum gun enemies, but I don't think I've encountered any Void Hunters on my playthrough as a PB, which was a bit disappointing. Are Void Hunters even in the game anymore? 

I'm fairly certain I've seen them - I think the game spawns them when there isn't a quantum option for an enemy group.

• Like 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

9 hours ago, Gulbasaur said:

I'm fairly certain I've seen them - I think the game spawns them when there isn't a quantum option for an enemy group.

I recently had a Vigilante Tip Mission that was nothing but Voids and Crystals. It was sort of eerie. Especially so, since I was playing on my Blaster at the time.

Quantums can suck at the LOW levels, particularly if you don't use Nova form, and are too low level to have Dwarf form, don't have any kind of stealth, no way to get the drop on them. 

Back in the day I rage-deleted .... 8 different peacebringers?  Not just rage quit. I mean I deleted the characters, I was that fed up.

So yea. I get what you're saying. They can cause a fair amount of high blood pressure. 

But I've learned a LOT more about the game since the old days, and learned a lot more about how to leverage my character's abilities better.  They're not impossible. You can handle Quants the same way you handle other particularly bad nasties on other characters, like say, Veles or Cherno during the Skull arcs. VERY few problems cannot be solved by application of 2 reds and 2 purples. So hoard those as you solo. Spend them as needed. Then press on, continue the rest of the mission unconcerned. As you get more powers you'll have better options to handle them before they handle you.

And there's always the "Team with a Controller" option.  Or anybody, really. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MTeague said:

And there's always the "Team with a Controller" option.  Or anybody, really. 

I've been levelling a warshade recently and there seems to be less awareness that quantums are a genuine risk to Kheldians. I've been splatted by more quantums on HC than I think I ever did on live. 

That said, back in the bad old days they did unresistable damage...

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

6 hours ago, Gulbasaur said:

I've been levelling a warshade recently and there seems to be less awareness that quantums are a genuine risk to Kheldians. I've been splatted by more quantums on HC than I think I ever did on live. 

That said, back in the bad old days they did unresistable damage...

Back in the day they were deadly and since debt actually mattered, it was common to see a Kheld beat feet at the sight of one.

On 2/28/2021 at 11:56 AM, Letroy said:

Unpopular Opinion, They need to add back CYST Spawns and such. The game is horribly easy, that added a challenge. Quantums should in no way be taken away. They are super easy to deal with but at least it gives you some sort of challenge.

/seconded.

I was on a recent Frostfire mission (we started at +3) and I was remembering how PAINFUL (and GLORIOUS) that mission could be with a team of 8 that included a Kheldian.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/31/2021 at 4:24 AM, Gulbasaur said:

That's how they used to work, but I'm pretty sure they're outta the lineup these days.  Although there are some missions (such as the aforementioned Tip, above) that still include them as a sort of independent, humanoid Nictus faction that's not stuck to the Council, Void Hunters and their ilk don't randomly show up alongside spawns of other factions.

...and part of me hates to say it because I love me some Nictus as an enemy faction in general, but that's probably for the best.  "The Circle of Thorns hired a space mercenary!" never really sat right with me.

Gimme more missions like that Tip, though, please!  Gimme more Nictus in general!

i'm freshly returned to the game having not played since the original game ended and my fond memories of Peacebringer life got me to build one right out of the gate. I'm having an absolute blast and it's one of the most challenging playstyles ever. And yeah, Quantums will totally wreck me if I'm not aggressively taking them down. Wouldn't have it any other way! They're part of the lore and add to the experience of playing a Kheldian. It's definitely a struggle not having any additional influence or any tasty sets to deck my character out with global bonuses but I'm still in the camp that loves see those Quantums and the rush of trying to take them out before they send me to the hospital and put me in debt. I'm 24th level now and it's great to be back! More Nictus!!! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later
On 3/31/2021 at 4:04 AM, Darkhorsedan said:

I've encountered plenty of Quantum gun enemies, but I don't think I've encountered any Void Hunters on my playthrough as a PB, which was a bit disappointing. Are Void Hunters even in the game anymore? 

Were you running the Kheld missions? There *are* some in there, as I'm recalling.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

• 1 month later
On 11/24/2020 at 4:18 PM, Bugsydor said:

Today, I am going to complain about a feature that has been in the game for a very long time.

There are exactly two archetypes in the game that have enemies that exist purely to give them a bad time: Peacebringers and Warshades. Sure, invuln tankers have to deal with a psi hole, but they don't have to deal with heavy, them-specific stuns. (And kheldians have that same psi-hole, too, minus a WS's eclipse).

Maybe it was necessary for balance purposes at some point in the nebulous past, but that point is clearly past. Can't we just have them removed from the game? Or maybe just restricted to the kheldian story arc missions? Heck, keep them in but change the guns to not stun and to do psi damage so they still target a weak point. They make leveling a kheld a huge pain, as things currently stand.

My problem isn't with the quants. My problem is with the fact that PB/WS power and utility don't warrant it. Never did. In the old days the idea of a ranged class with shields was verboten. So they threw quantum kryptonite at it. In the modern age you have a ranged class with shields, status protection, and no kryptonite. They're called Sentinels. And they're not considered game breaking.

• 3 weeks later

I recently did the tip mission with all Voids in it on my PB.

I know the damage type for Quants changed to be less kryptonite, but did the void damage? I had to be much more sensible (which wasn’t a bad thing, I liked the challenge)

Also, the cysts that do appear in some of the Khel arc/ tips missions - are they meant to spawn like they used to? Because at the moment they do not and it is a little boring, for lack of a better work, to just fight an unguarded inanimate object.

Edited by Xiddo

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png

2 hours ago, Xiddo said:

I recently did the tip mission with all Voids in it on my PB.

I know the damage type for Quants changed to be less kryptonite, but did the void damage? I had to be much more sensible (which wasn’t a bad thing, I liked the challenge)

Also, the cysts that do appear in some of the Khel arc/ tips missions - are they meant to spawn like they used to? Because at the moment they do not and it is a little boring, for lack of a better work, to just fight an unguarded inanimate object.

Quants and voids used to do much more damage and cysts spawned an entire room full of extractions, it was epic. You know when you wandered into a cyst room, and it dumped out like 30 extraction, the team would wipe.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear because I was typing half-awake. My bad.

10 minutes ago, SwitchFade said:

Quants and voids used to do much more damage and cysts spawned an entire room full of extractions, it was epic. You know when you wandered into a cyst room, and it dumped out like 30 extraction, the team would wipe.

I know this! Cheers 🙂
I meant...  When they changed Quantum's to do resistible damage (negative? I think), and not un-resistible like before, did they also change the damage that Voids do in the same way? Because I found the Voids in the tip mission to pack a real punch. I think it stuck out because you don't see Voids anywhere and I was very aware of my health bar.

I would like cysts to spawn like they used to. But I appreciate it isn't something that everyone agrees with.
I ran the Khel arc and there were a few missions where Cysts spawned. But the Cysts didn't spawn the extraction-mobs. If they aren't plans to turn cysts back on, for content where a kheldian is in the team, could the ones that appear in the kheldian arcs/tip missions (where a objective is a cyst) have the extraction-mob-spawn power back on? As they're the lore arc/ the story of the mission. Otherwise they're just exploding bombs we need to beat up.

Edited by Xiddo

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png