Hurricane Repel

6 hours ago, srmalloy said:

It doesn't matter whether you think its description is user friendly or not

It may not matter, but I can still express my opinion.

I am allowed to do that. Please stop harassing me.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

5 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

Think of it like this: it doesn't knock them back instead of knocking them down.  Foes are always knocked down.  If the magnitude is high enough, they're also knocked away.

I understand what people are telling me that they know from how the mechanics work.

However, I do not believe the description is user friendly.

I'm a bit shocked about how players are so up-in-arms about comments about things that I see as not being user-friendly.

Most of the game is very user-friendly.

Other people bring up points and they are debated and discussed. 

I agree sometimes and I don't other times.

People are allowed to have opinions and play the game the way they want to play it.

I feel like I'm being ganged up on at this point and, as far as I know, that's  against the Code of Conduct.

People don't have to agree with me. They don't even have to read my posts. If my posts are so whatever, then just put me on ignore, because I'm putting people on ignore that I don't want to deal with. There are better people to discuss and debate with in the forms than the ones that I need to put on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

4 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

But that's a QoL issue well done the list, I'd think, for the HC team.

I think you meant "down".

Probably "back of" would work too.

People keep saying it's a matter of magnitude.

14 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

It may not matter, but I can still express my opinion.

I am allowed to do that. Please stop harassing me.

I wrote and discarded my first reply. However, I feel I should point out that a large part of the side traffic that allows people to hear what you say -- tone of voice, facial expressions, body language, etc. -- disappears completely when all you have is text, and while you may see "I don't like it; I don't care how it works; I think it should work this way instead; I don't like it, no matter how long it's been this way; it's just one of a bunch of things I don't like" as just expressing your opinion, it can easily be read as a rant on the subject with varying degrees of self-entitlement.

Edited by srmalloy

11 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

as just expressing your opinion, it can easily be read as a rant on the subject with varying degrees of self-entitlement.

We are all entitled to our opinions. That not self-entitlement.

We are also all allowed to express them here. That also is not self-entitlement but DEV granted.

Just because people thought the world was flat at one point doesn't mean that there didn't need to be a paradigm shift.

The people that thought that the world wasn't flat but more round were treated a lot worse than I have been treated.

Things change.

1 hour ago, UltraAlt said:

I think you meant "down".

Probably "back of" would work too.

People keep saying it's a matter of magnitude.

I did indeed mean down.  And yes it's a matter of magnitude which like a lot of things the final value comes after a bunch of other factors including protection and resistance of the target are taken into account which themselves are effected by things like the purple patch.  And especially since the advent of IOs those can vary substantially.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2021 at 1:36 PM, Alty said:

I did not contort your words. I wrote that I was disappointed that someone who teamed with Torm would seem to not understand how to herd with hurricane. You have written how you want to keep mobs in a corner and have stated that they don't STAY in the corner but you want them to stay in the corner and thus want an IO to remove repel. 

As to one IO to turn off repel. It seems unnecessary to create a single IO for one component of one power in a powerset. 

Currently, there aren't any that turn OFF a power component. Set IOs modify power components, changing KB to KD. Set IOs can add additional components to powers (-def -res, +heal +regn). 

I am not aware of any set IOs that subtract components from a power. 

Since repel isn't a QOL issue, it probably can't assigned to Null the Gull, as off switch like the +run speed in buffs applied to players. 

----------

📢 I'm also gonna take a moment to plug RETRO RO as we will have Perfect Storms (All Storm Summoning) teaming in February on Everlasting. Details in RO Club Event Calendar

I never said I wanted to keep them in a corner but they don't stay.. 

Someone else posted an issue or a request and I came up with a suggestion via an IO.. 
But after thinking about it and reading it, you know I wouldn't mind being able to just have hurricane debuff or a team or even myself and not have the repel.. 
I think Hurricane without repel and its hit debuff is more useful on a team on a regular basis then how it is atm.. 

But I also see the benefit of repel as well even if situational or behind a team and during AV fights..

On 1/27/2021 at 6:11 AM, Doomguide2005 said:

Okay I realize there's been lots of talk about "herding" using Hurricane but this was not an example of herding or "herdicane".  He didn't gather the mob, or push or pull them from someplace else or anything else herding-like.  He simply moved in along one side of the mob located in the hall using Hurricane's repel to shove them over against one wall of the hall then moved in an arc around the mob keeping them there as his teammates unloaded at range (all defender team, but not all Stormie iirc).   It was a very well applied use of Hurricane's crowd control ability nothing I'd particularly call herding in the common game usage of the word.  

And yes it would be my opinion that removing the repel would be a mistake in both function and concept.  It's also my opinion that  it's a game and if it makes it more fun for an individual to do so then give it a go with the understanding that it significantly reduces the utility of the power.

No one ever said change the current power.. Make that clear.. Option via IO..  Just clarifying that.. 

Any other changes I leave to the Devs.. If having the option drops the hit debuff to a useless level the that should be made clear.. 
Devs - Hey we looked into this as we thought this might be a possible idea and concept but during our power calculations we realized the penalty to the hit debuff for having the OPTION to removing repel IO was just not worth the time and effort. . Basically the Hit debuff would be reduce to a useless/negligible state that ended up not being of any value for the players..  

Again assuming they would even consider addressing this.. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later
On 1/30/2021 at 9:34 PM, plainguy said:

No one ever said change the current power.. Make that clear.. Option via IO..  Just clarifying that.. 

Any other changes I leave to the Devs.. If having the option drops the hit debuff to a useless level the that should be made clear.. 
Devs - Hey we looked into this as we thought this might be a possible idea and concept but during our power calculations we realized the penalty to the hit debuff for having the OPTION to removing repel IO was just not worth the time and effort. . Basically the Hit debuff would be reduce to a useless/negligible state that ended up not being of any value for the players..  

Again assuming they would even consider addressing this.. 

I like the removing repel IO! I think that is prefect! Everyone is a winner with this! Haters don't have to put it in. Fingers crossed to our wonderful DEV team that maybe one day they'll take a look at it! 

Edited by Hops

Kill Most ITFs! Defender Tank! dahkness11 - Twitch

5 hours ago, Hops said:

I like the removing repel IO! I think that is prefect! Everyone is a winner with this! Haters don't have to put it in. Fingers crossed to our wonderful DEV team that maybe one day they'll take a look at it! 

They're "haters" because they perceive the change to have negative consequences?

Questionable rhetoric.

No vote.

• Like 1

It's prefect?

pre·fect

noun
noun: prefect; plural noun: prefects
  1. 1.
    British
    in some schools, a senior student authorized to enforce discipline.
    h
    Similar:
    monitor

(I try not to pick on typos, but that one just seemed interesting to me. Wouldn't having the repel help the whole enforcement thing?) 🙂

Edit: Also out of curiosity, is that last line running into my signature for anyone else, or is my browser just being weird....
    Edit 2: Nope. It was being weird 'til I removed the Roman history reference. Huh. OK then.
Edited by Greycat

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 hour ago, SwitchFade said:

They're "haters" because they perceive the change to have negative consequences?

Questionable rhetoric.

No vote.

I don’t understand what the negative consequences are.
could you explain? I don’t see any negative to this. I see a positive to it. It opens up several new play styles. Again everyone has there own opinion. I would love to know yours other then yelling vote no. That doesn’t help change people’s mind or brain storm on how to change things.

Edited by Hops

9 minutes ago, Hops said:

I don’t understand what the negative consequences are.
could you explain? I don’t see any negative to this. I see a positive to it. It opens up several new play styles. Again everyone has there own opinion. I would love to know yours other then yelling vote no. That doesn’t help change people’s mind or brain storm on how to change things.

Have you read the whole thread?

On 1/10/2021 at 9:00 PM, SeraphimKensai said:

Hurricane has the potential to be an amazing power, if we modify it to remove the Repel effect from it. As it is it scatters mobs, causing extra agro, and pushed the mobs outside of the debuffs of the power.

Hurricane has knockback, which can be slotted into KD, but the Repel effect still makes the power a situational at best power.

Why not remove the Repel effect on hurricane and let stormers do their job of debuffing mobs?

That's a HORRIBLE idea.

Storm is an incredible set as is.  The problems people have with it are, IMO, because it plays completely differently from every other powerset in CoH.

Storm is all about positioning.  Your positoning prior to activating a power changes the mob's positioning.  If you play intelligently the mobs will be where you want them to be, e.g. against a wall in a debuff patch.  If you don't play smartly your teams AoEs and debuffs won't be effective.

Storm's job isn't about debuffing the mobs, it's about positioning them.  Put a KD>KB in Tornado and you're in complete control.

• Like 3

On 2/24/2021 at 12:57 PM, Col. Kernel said:

That's a HORRIBLE idea.

Storm is an incredible set as is.  The problems people have with it are, IMO, because it plays completely differently from every other powerset in CoH.

Storm is all about positioning.  Your positoning prior to activating a power changes the mob's positioning.  If you play intelligently the mobs will be where you want them to be, e.g. against a wall in a debuff patch.  If you don't play smartly your teams AoEs and debuffs won't be effective.

Storm's job isn't about debuffing the mobs, it's about positioning them.  Put a KD>KB in Tornado and you're in complete control.

Mobs don’t stay alive long enough anymore. I really tried to make storm work for me but on a 4+ team you are just throwing out bells and whistles and with the long animations for all of the powers you loose momentum and 3/4th of the mob is dead. The concept is outdated and needs to be refreshed. I feel the set only really shines when less people are on the team or sitting by the doors in a BAF. 

Fold Space does a better job at positioning then the entire storm set. That’s saying something cause it’s a power pool

Edited by Hops

1 hour ago, Hops said:

Mobs don’t stay alive long enough anymore. I really tried to make storm work for me but on a 4+ team you are just throwing out bells and whistles and with the long animations for all of the powers you loose momentum and 3/4th of the mob is dead. The concept is outdated and needs to be refreshed. I feel the set only really shines when less people are on the team or sitting by the doors in a BAF. 

Fold Space does a better job at positioning then the entire storm set. That’s saying something cause it’s a power pool

The problems you mention won’t be helped by changing hurricane.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1