Hurricane Repel

Hurricane has the potential to be an amazing power, if we modify it to remove the Repel effect from it. As it is it scatters mobs, causing extra agro, and pushed the mobs outside of the debuffs of the power.

Hurricane has knockback, which can be slotted into KD, but the Repel effect still makes the power a situational at best power.

Why not remove the Repel effect on hurricane and let stormers do their job of debuffing mobs?

• Like 2

Use positioning so mobs aren't scattered.

Don't jump in right next to the tank and turn on hurricane.

Use it to push mobs that are immob'd together, since immobilizes typically have -kd component but no resistance to repel.

When possible, use it to pin mobs in place.

Remove the repel and you might as well just rename it "vision obscuring cloud."

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Just to be clear unless the City of Data entry is incorrect, either originally or by being outdated, the KB in Hurricane has only a 5% chance to occur (per pulse? per target).

As for removing the Repel not so sure it's that simple.  Yes I'm sure you could just remove the Repel function.  But then you destroy the ability of Hurricane as a means of crowd control as well as debuffing.  You could no longer pin mobs helplessly against the terrain or as @Greycatmentions round them up after they're immobilized.  Scatter might actually worsen as debuffed mobs try to flee the debuff area.

So probably not a good idea.

Edit:  And Hurricane is one of the few powers in the game where player skill is/can be very important to successful use while employing the power.

Edited by Doomguide2005
Afterthought
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Use it to push mobs that are immob'd together, since immobilizes typically have -kd component but no resistance to repel.

This. ^

Hurricane is a situational power and not one that you should have on all the time anyway. But, I mean, there's a reason that it's nickname is Herdicane. You have to practice with it (I still have some trouble getting it right), but once you get it down, you use it to herd mobs, pin them in place, etc. I do my best to either leave it off, or use it to help gather the mobs to the tank.

Let's please not remove one of the defining features of that particular power in the set.

• Like 2

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

Hurricane is a set defining power and the repel is a big part of that. I would much prefer to go the other way and restore the repel chance back to what it was before it got nerfed (in pve anyway). It is much more difficult to use now than it used to be and that does lead to more scatter than used to be the case.

On the subject of the debuffs, I believe the debuff area is bigger than the repel area? So, mobs at the limit of the repel are still debuffed? I could be wrong about that though.

l assume that could be pretty complicated to code, but since powers like "Swap Ammo" and "Adaptation" do it - the Hurricane may be changed in a way so purchasing that power grants access to 2 Separate Hurricane Powers, whose are:

1. Hurricane with Repel.

2. Hurricane with no Repel.

They differ only that one has repel, while other hasn't. Either of them may be trayed into the power tray, or both of them could be. Slotting the "Hurricane" power boosts both powers. These powers CANNOT be activated together, exactly like "Swap Ammo" and "Adaptation". Don't know exactly how difficult doing that will be for Homecoming team, depending on level of the tools they use to create/modify powers, but l'm pretty sure it IS doable, and if it's not too complicated, it absolutely worth it.

Note, that Lore Pets "Tsoo" and "Storm Elementals" have supports which has a Hurricane around them, but it can't repel. It can Knockback though, and since lore pets cannot be slotted with KB->KD, that KB might get really annoying if that Support wanders into stack of adds. Knockback chance is 5% seems to be per tick for each add, that's why on full saturation it knocks some add almost (or 2 of them) almost each second. Also Tsoo AFAIR has more potent -ToHit on hurricane comparing to Storm Elementals for some weird reason.

• Like 1

To keep this game safe, We have to give it to the world.

Arc ID #13097 - Archvillain Beatdown, try it out!

Arc ID #21066 - Archvillain Beatdown - Past Edition!

Letz now talk about existing Incarnate Lore Pets:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/50351-incarnate-lore-pets-look-through-fix-and-improve/

Hurricane, with the repel is a signature power in my opinion, and I use it a lot for my storm/dark defender.

I actually would love to have a way to increase the mag effect to repel, for it is fixed and can't be improved. Repel ceases to work from EB and up, and if you do a BAF the ridiculous minions running around ignores your repel, how insulting to have a true signature power conveniently disabled by the devs, the one of very, very, very few chances for a Stormy to shine, and devs disable it, gee thanks.

So I very much disagree with the suggestion, it takes away a lot of functionality to the class.

Sue

• Confused 1

You can remove the repel from my herdicane when you pry it from my cold dead hands

• Confused 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Ran an all Stormie MLTF with my Elec/Storm Troller.  Why would I want to get rid of the repel?

It's not something you're going to toggle on and leave on (usually - maybe solo?) but I found various times to use it.  For sure love to turn it on at City Hall in Posi 1.  🙂  AVs who can't be repelled?  Hurricane is going on!

I've always used Hurricane more defensively - activating it only when I've suddenly found myself the target of several unwanted attacks.

I also use as a "safe space" for teammates to run into, if we are in a tough situation

With that being said, I never ever leave it on - and have run on several TFs without launching it once.

Its just there for backup.   

• Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 12:08 AM, Greycat said:

Yes.  I love pushing groups into a corner and having them constantly knocked back and ragdolling in place while I take advantage and blast them into ruin.

On 1/11/2021 at 4:36 AM, Purrfekshawn said:

l assume that could be pretty complicated to code, but since powers like "Swap Ammo" and "Adaptation" do it - the Hurricane may be changed in a way so purchasing that power grants access to 2 Separate Hurricane Powers, whose are:

1. Hurricane with Repel.

2. Hurricane with no Repel.

They differ only that one has repel, while other hasn't. Either of them may be trayed into the power tray, or both of them could be. Slotting the "Hurricane" power boosts both powers. These powers CANNOT be activated together, exactly like "Swap Ammo" and "Adaptation". Don't know exactly how difficult doing that will be for Homecoming team, depending on level of the tools they use to create/modify powers, but l'm pretty sure it IS doable, and if it's not too complicated, it absolutely worth it.

A lot of us don’t consider it to be good design to allow players to opt out of more and more functions that require them to approach gameplay with an ounce of nuance. Hard no.

Edited by arcaneholocaust
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, BrandX said:

Ran an all Stormie MLTF with my Elec/Storm Troller.  Why would I want to get rid of the repel?

It's not something you're going to toggle on and leave on (usually - maybe solo?) but I found various times to use it.  For sure love to turn it on at City Hall in Posi 1.  🙂  AVs who can't be repelled?  Hurricane is going on!

Reactor room doorway in Penny Yin TF after Clamor exits and ambush is triggered

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

3 hours ago, arcaneholocaust said:

A lot of us don’t consider it to be good design to allow players to opt out of more and more functions that require them to approach gameplay with an ounce of nuance. Hard no.

Not to mention it leads to teams either not *knowing* what you bring - or expecting you to have things turned off that you find helpful and know how to use. Just bad ideas all around.

• Like 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Without the repel, Hurriance is just an AOE debuff with fancier graphics.  Repel is what makes it interesting to use, and actually require some more thought to play that 'turn on toggle and forget it exists'.  So, no thanks.

• Like 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

22 hours ago, SwitchFade said:

Ah, sorry, no vote.

Keep repel, in fact, put it back to the way it used to be.

Yes, it used to be much more reliable,  almost impenetrable.  It was nerfed back when they found out how well it worked in PVP and peopl comained.  They were against having it work differently in PVP for some reason, so PVE took the nerd too.

Now they have PVP IO  sets, so that argument is  a little  silly.

While I kind of agree on some of the premise,  there are a number of players who are good at using it to bunch up mobs.  

To me, it's a situational panic button, when I have more high level melee attackers on me than I'm comfortable with.

So probably best to leave it alone.

9 hours ago, krj12 said:

While I kind of agree on some of the premise,  there are a number of players who are good at using it to bunch up mobs.  

To me, it's a situational panic button, when I have more high level melee attackers on me than I'm comfortable with.

So probably best to leave it alone.

Not to mention the massive debuff it lays down on an AV

Specific IO that removes the repel ?

Edited by plainguy
spelling

2 minutes ago, plainguy said:

Specific IO that removes the repeal ?

And cuts the debuff like in half, at least...But I think that would be a first for there to be an IO that is only for one power. I don’t think there’s any such thing as that in the game yet. Even Sniper sets can go in All sniper attacks.

Edited by Wavicle

1 minute ago, Wavicle said:

And cuts the debuff like in half, at least...But I think that would be a first for there to be an IO that is only for one power. I don’t think there’s any such thing as that in the game yet. Even Sniper sets can go in All sniper attacks.

I'm not crazy about the Repel either.

These powers were Unique when game first came out.. First of its kind.. No one was going to complain back them. Fresh idea..

Today we know you would get kicked from a team for using hurricane on standard mobs regardless.

AV yea because they just won't get pushed back.

Make it a combine IO EG the Turn off Repel IO just does that.. But if you combine with another set IO it get added to that Set IO as another bonus. Make where you can only add it to the first IO of each set. 

Example

Knockback IOs it would be Damage/Knockback excluding sudden acceleration which would be Knockback/Recharge

Hit Debuff IOs it would be just Debuff. 

This way they would just have to create 1 new IO in each set.. 

Damage/Knockback/Repel Off

Knocback/Recharge/Repel Off

Hit Debuff/Repel Off

If you get kicked for using Hurricane either you are using it wrong and deserve to be kicked (or preferably taught how to use it right) or your teammates are jerks and you don’t want to be on that team anyway.

Hurricane is an excellent power as is if you use it effectively. If you scatter groups with it that’s your fault.

It doesn’t need to be changed just so people don’t have to learn to use it properly.

Edited by Wavicle
  • Like 2