What is the worst Tanker you've ever played?

Perfect Weapon

We've done the best/favorite Tanker, so I'm curious as to what is the worst Tanker you've ever played?  The one you got to 50 just because you couldn't delete a toon?  Or the one you played until a certain level and is stuck there because you don't have the strength to continue it?

I know this game provides the opportunity to make virtually anything good/work, so when I say "worst" I guess I mean the one that is not for you.  For me it was my Invul/Kinetic Melee.  For the life of me, I just cannot stand Kinetic Melee.  Slow animation, poor power choices, and damage so pitiful Council laugh at me.  The only reason he's at 50 is because I can farm.  Now he sits, stripped of his IO's, and only there because I want to keep the name for another toon.

So, what's yours?

• Like 1

I was doing a similar thread about uncommon pairings of primary and secondary powers, which I guess is the same thing on a roundabout way, but, doesn't highlight positive combinations.

Mine is also a Invul/KM tanker, I dont mind the sounds but the set just sucks. Animation and dmg are lackluster, I get what they were shooting for, an anime type melee set but its just blah.

I have others I'm leveling currently, a Elec/Psi, WP/Fiery, and a Rad/Ice.

I hate doing the usual FOTM builds, and cannot stand SS, so I have to do not normal pairings of powersets. 

Edited by The_Warpact
Forgot something
  • Like 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

Well it's going to sound weird - because it's popular - but mine is Elec/mace.

I'm just not a fan of mace - I know it's good in the right hands but I benched that sucker shortly after hitting 50.

I like the newer TW better than the OP pre i27 update, but still not a huge fan.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

Well it's going to sound weird - because it's popular - but mine is Elec/mace.

Huh, I guess I don't pay attention because I did not know this was popular.  I agree, mace for me just does not work and is one of the few tanker secondary powers I have never tried.

Just now, Perfect Weapon said:

Huh, I guess I don't pay attention because I did not know this was popular.  I agree, mace for me just does not work and is one of the few tanker secondary powers I have never tried.

Mace is actually one of the best sets to play. ...   But I don't like it...  Some days I have to fight hating myself for that reason.... But I manage to pull through.  lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Edit: However, the stone/ma almost lived just due to the hilarity of granite feet to the face.

My Stone/MA is a great team player, I've overcome all of the penalties of Granite so it's fine, but I don't really care for MA all that much.

I rolled a Stone/Staff for similar Lulz of "how is a granite doing those moves?"

• Like 2

What this team needs is more Defenders

1 minute ago, Perfect Weapon said:

Well then maybe I should give it a try.  Thanks.

Crank up the recharge. It can push out some seriously crunchy goodness when you're rocking Clobber, Shatter, Jawbreaker, repeat as your ST chain and Shatter, CrowdControl, WhirlingMace, repeat as your AoE chain.

• Like 2

Mine was Ice/... I'm not sure if it was Dark Melee or Rad melee. I'm not saying the combo itself is bad, but hot damn I dropped it fast. Ice is super heavy on endurance and I'm not sure if Dark (pre AoE pass) or if Rad but I was wheezing for blue bar.

I realized I was expected to spam Energy Absorption every spawn for my endurance to survive (and it was incapable of coping on a ST scenario) and just dropped it like a hot potato.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Mine was Ice/... I'm not sure if it was Dark Melee or Rad melee. I'm not saying the combo itself is bad, but hot damn I dropped it fast. Ice is super heavy on endurance and I'm not sure if Dark (pre AoE pass) or if Rad but I was wheezing for blue bar.

I realized I was expected to spam Energy Absorption every spawn for my endurance to survive (and it was incapable of coping on a ST scenario) and just dropped it like a hot potato.

I have an Ice/EM toon and can relate on the endurance part.  Even with Physical Perfection Epic she's still an endurance person of the night lol.  Adding Cardiac and Ageless helps a lot, but shouldn't have to.

I have a SR/Katana tanker stuck in the late 20s that I benched in the days when SR/ had a weak taunt aura. 

I also never warmed to an Ice/Ice tanker, mostly because of slowe DPS and not really excelling when exemped much below 30. 

Shield/axe is high concept, and she gets trotted out when Tanker Tuesday rolls to Indomitable, but I think Mace would have worked better. 

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Ice/PSi, I thought it would be a pretty cool (no pun intended) pairing, but it turned out pretty "meh". In all fairness I haven't really dug into the build to see if I can make it better, but for some reason I just don't want to... Maybe this thread will motivate me to try again. It's odd because I've used Ice for various off pairing and concept builds before. This one just hasn't lived up to what I'd hoped it would be.

Nothing warms your opponent like Fiery Melee.

Tanker Tuesday and Tanker Tuesday Tour Info:

1st Tuesday-Excelsior

2nd Tuesday-Torchbearer

3rd Tuesday- Everlasting

4th Tuesday- Indomitable

Special weekend run for Reunion/Europe

My worst was Dark/Dark... I abandoned it in the mid 20's as the end was too high and the damage was lacking.  This was before the tanker changes, and I didn't stick with it to make an IO build which likely would have solved several of the problems I had with it.

I've played a couple of Stone tankers post GDN and ED nerfs and pre-IO; they're kind of junk pre granite with weak defenses and Rooted being your only mez protection.  Post Granite the penalties tend to outweigh the benefits.  Still they were quite effective and I did get both to 50.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

• Lead Game Master

My GameMaster avatar is an Invuln/EnM. There's nothing wrong with the combo per se, but since I don't usually PLAY the character, I have no money for enhancements, making it really hard when I actually choose to do so! His attacks tickle opponents, and he's not quite as tough as the name or powerset would suggest (the one time I let villain players smack me around in PvP for laughs, I died faster than I could blink!)

I'm sure the combo is fine if actually slotted, though!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

Ice/ is indeed horribuble. Which is too bad cuz it can be made really pretty with the right char concept.

Maybe an Ice/Dark would be ok. get two sources of endurance to keep it going and the aoe fear might actually help keep it on it's feet (doubtful).