What are the petty but real annoyances in CoH?

DougGraves

Costume palette favoring the cooler color-end of the spectrum.  Like there's a single red and a single orange, but like what, five shades of blue-green?

• Like 2

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

There's an L shaped building in Steel Canyon that's always in the way.  You know the one. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

3 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

There's an L shaped building in Steel Canyon that's always in the way.  You know the one. 

Oh yes I do!  Even with a travel power, it's a real finger-in-the-eye to anyone heading that way.  Our new devs should build a hole in it.

• Like 2

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 3/20/2021 at 12:55 PM, srmalloy said:

The ships at the dock in Cimerora are moored in opposite directions, but the sails are filled with wind blowing in the direction the ship is pointed, as if the wind completely reverses direction if you move sideways twenty feet.

And a particularly petty one, that from Positron's own statement I'm the only person to complain about in the entire live run of the game:  Virtually all of the buoys in the game are wrong. The IALA International Maritime Buoyage Standard defines the vertically red-and-white-striped buoy as a center-channel marker, indicating that there is deep water on all sides of the buoy, and it can be safely passed on any side. Instead, we see them moored ten feet away from docks, or (in Independence Port) used in place of the red and green lateral buoys marking the sides of the deep-water channel.

That's not a bug, amigo.  One of my villains, The Prankster, repainted those.  Public works haven't noticed and fixed it yet.  What a bunch of rubes.  HA!  😁  

• Haha 6

When you go to a new zone and the nav bar automatically starts pointing you towards the detective, for absolutely no reason, when you already have the newspaper/scanner. Particularly annoying when you have a mish and assume it's still pointing you towards that.

Seriously, make that stop once you have the newspaper/scanner contact!

• Like 4

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"

4 hours ago, Heraclea said:

I'd like to also add a specific tree in Dark Astoria that I'd like to see moved. Perhaps a well-meaning Plant Controller could see to it?

• Like 2

OK, related to my previous complaints re: respec, but distinct issues.

Accidentally hitting the scroll arrows next to the numbers on the tray. Suddenly I'm clicking on my travel powers instead my attacks...

Also,

Accidentally dragging trays rather than clicking them. May we please have a "lock trays" option in addition to the "lock powers in tray" one?

And yes, I know clicking the powers is inefficient. Sometimes I use key commands, but when I'm already watching the tray for power recharges, I might as well use the things!

Edited by DoctorDitko
addendum
  • Thanks 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Not so petty, but I REALLY don't like;

• ANCHORS - the number of times I put this on an enemy only for it to die a microsecond later - just an annoying mechanic. I avoid sets with anchors.
  • BUFFING - repeatedly spamming buffs whenever they're available - it's awful, I think they should be a toggle that applies the buff every cooldown rotation instead. I hate hate hate it. Everybody always asking for Accelerate Metabolism and Speed Boost - I actively avoid the entire powerset because of these powers and the expectations that go along with them.
Edited by Herotu

3 hours ago, Grindingsucks said:

That's not a bug, amigo.  One of my villains, The Prankster, repainted those.  Public works haven't noticed and fixed it yet.  What a bunch of rubes.  HA!  😁  

The second time I approached Positron about it, he said that it was the second time that someone had mentioned it, which meant that they should take a look at it. If I hadn't admitted that I had been the 'other person' they might have decided to fix it, since a minimal fix would just be duplicating the existing buoy object to create three new ones, colored uniform green, red, and yellow, and then change the object ID for the buoys in the various zones (the ones in the IP ship channel being red or green depending on which side of the channel they're on, and virtually all the rest being yellow, with only a few staying mid-channel marks).

7 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Costume palette favoring the cooler color-end of the spectrum.  Like there's a single red and a single orange, but like what, five shades of blue-green?

Yet, back in the between times when I used Icon for screenshot story telling I found a blue-green color I really like that isn't available with the normal choices (same goes for a a shade of purple).  In Icon you can load the costume file directly bypassing the CC, so I've learned a lot about the costume files data and the color arrangement thus modified them directly.  Something I'd like to see is the CC's color selector have a sliding scale, but keep the current choices as a way to set the sliders to that point.  But that suggestion/wish is for another thread.  Or, allow the CC to accept any color choice when loading a costume file instead of turning the modified colors to black.

Edited by gamingglen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Herotu said:
  • ANCHORS - the number of times I put this on an enemy only for it to die a microsecond later - just an annoying mechanic. I avoid sets with anchors.

Anchors don't go away when the enemy dies anymore.  In fact you may not realize you still have it running on a dead enemy in the last spawn you defeated.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Herotu said:

Not so petty, but I REALLY don't like;

• BUFFING - repeatedly spamming buffs whenever they're available - it's awful, I think they should be a toggle that applies the buff every cooldown rotation instead. I hate hate hate it. Everybody always asking for Accelerate Metabolism and Speed Boost - I actively avoid the entire powerset because of these powers and the expectations that go along with them.

They are nowhere near as bad as they used to be. Anchors at least remain until the body fades now, where they used to cut off as soon as they died. And with most buffs now being applied to the entire team at once they are, again, not as bad as when you had to apply them to every single member of the team individually.

• Like 2

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"

34 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

Is that an in-game option?  I lose my mouse on the screen with alarming frequency.

The resized mouse is an in-game, look in Options -> Windows -> Cursor Scale

I thought there was a recolor option, but apparently not built-in,  and it might be a separate thing hacked on to the install. I don't remember.

9 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Oh yes I do!  Even with a travel power, it's a real finger-in-the-eye to anyone heading that way.  Our new devs should build a hole in it.

One pass-throuigh at ground level for the speedsters, and one opening about mid-height in the building for the flyers / jumpers / porters to aim for, should do it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrAxe said:

People who use stealth auras at Ms. Liberty when I want to see the results of my costume tweaking.

Trying to recall, but back on live, didn't we used to have a dev-designated area around trainers where powers were dampened, due to the load they placed on old computers or something?

23 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Trying to recall, but back on live, didn't we used to have a dev-designated area around trainers where powers were dampened, due to the load they placed on old computers or something?

I don't think so.  AE has a no powers room.  But there are plenty of unused trainers.  Just visit Back Alley Brawler, he's lonely

• Like 1

Costume pieces that won't match up to tight outfits!

Give me sneakers with tights instead of socks.  Gloves that have tights to match up with tights, and not just bare arms.

Also, not having bikini bottom versions of disco leggings.

Also all those with shiney tights options!  Need a shiney bikini option!