What are the petty but real annoyances in CoH?

DougGraves

That weird glitch where if a pet or an NPC ally kills the boss - or gets in the hit that counts as the kill shot - you don't get the clue!  That needs fixing. Now, I mostly see it in AE, but I think it happened to me in game too, either that or the narrative just did not make sense.

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

40 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Double F-ing clicking on Hybrid.... Who programmed this?  If you turn it on WHY WOULD YOU SWITCH IT OFF.  It needs to be a click not a toggle *facepalm.  Slams head into wall.  

I have mine bound to the keypad "/" key using powexec_toggleon.  Destiny right next to it on the "*". Then I put my personal Lore adds on the keypad "+" using powexec_location self, so they just pop in right where I am, and I don't have to fiddle finding my mouse cursor when I need them badly.

• Like 1

When you complete the Keyes Island trial, and you don't get credit for Antimatter because your team didn't get the kill shot on him. Everyone in the league should.

In fact, XP and other kill rewards ought to be shared across everyone in the league on a league scale task. Reduce them by the number of teams if we have to for balance.

• Like 3

SHADOW SHARD!

What a cool aesthetic implemented so poorly. So much wasted space. There should have been portals between islands, like the one in Firebase Zulu to get to the rest of the zone. Each island should have had a reason for going there. Just so much wrong with those zones.

A better way to complete kill tasks when you're 50. There should be more variety of mobs in radio missions. Also, most factions should scale to 50. I want to kill Igneous bosses, but not at level 14.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

Master Illusionists

Yeah, but at least they are annoying by design!

• Like 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

A radio mission in PI taking you to a Portal Corp gate and then on into a sewer; most likely in "The Sewer Dimension".

A radio mission taking you to the AE Holo-thing. "I thought we were doing radios!?"

A radio mission having the same Boss name as the previous. "Did he escape the police already?" C'mon, make up some more names already.

22 hours ago, Erratic1 said:

Back to back missions in PI we entered building into sewers.

Probably accidentally, but facade/"fake" buildings are occasionally used to cover up city infrastructure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

On 3/20/2021 at 11:03 AM, CursedSorcerer said:

Oh, also when you're fighting mobs and an Enhancement drops and it's one of the ones you can use, but it doesn't match your Origin! 🤬

My nephew grumps about that one all the time... "Yay! I got a [enhancement x]! I need that." *pause* "Darn. It's Magic. I need Natural."

He really WANTS to use those drops. It just usually turns out that he can't. The Loot Gods are cruel to the kid. 😝

• Like 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

On 3/18/2021 at 6:11 PM, Lost Deep said:

They don't point out the signature story arcs. There's enough stuff in the game even without them but I keep making heroes and keep not finding the signature story arcs. I'm reliably given a contact for Graham Eastson, but not for the actual signature story arcs. I mean... if I DID care a lot I could look it up on the wiki, but it's still head-tilting.

They are marked. Book markers on maps.

The story also kind of directs you to where to go next as well. It isn't always obvious, but when you get there it becomes , oh yeah, kinda thing.

edit: It _literally_ looks like an open book with a book marker in the book. Its red. There are examples of the waypoint in atlas, talos, steel canyon, brickstown, rwz, (pi?)

Edited by Hew

On 3/20/2021 at 1:55 PM, Luminara said:

Anyone else envision Igneous critters in cubicles, sipping coffee, tapping away on spreadsheets and muttering about TPS reports?

Female fifth mechmen needing to be rescued. Not sure how many people around here go that far back. 😄

59 minutes ago, Hew said:

Female fifth mechmen needing to be rescued. Not sure how many people around here go that far back. 😄

I remember those.  Wasn't there another placeholder that popped up once in a while?  Can't remember seeing that one, but I know it happened to more than a few people.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

5 hours ago, arcane said:

Mez protection on squishies is more or less a non-issue to the seasoned player but apparently a major annoyance to some on the forum.

That's because "you don't get to play right now" is a really cruel thing to do to a player regardless of what escape buttons or workarounds are theoretically available.

• Like 1

It can also go sideways pretty quickly if you're playing a mastermind who needs to really micromanage their pets (Ninjas, I'm looking at you guys, you crazy paper crack-monkeys. <_<) or who tends to be right in the middle of fights with them. (/Time, for example)

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

3 hours ago, Black Zot said:

That's because "you don't get to play right now" is a really cruel thing to do to a player regardless of what escape buttons or workarounds are theoretically available.

I just can't take "really cruel thing to do" terribly seriously there. 

Maybe it's some oldschool tabletop Dungeons and Dragons lingering on me,, when having foes who could Charm or Hold you was just part of the fun.  Especially when the rest of the table was like "D'oh!  They charmed <character name here>!  Everybody dogpile him!" and "Nooooooo don't kill me!!!!".  

Also, maybe it's just because most games that I've played for the past 30 years, if there was the ability to do any kind of Crowd Control / Charm / Hold?  I picked the kind of character who can do that. Not totally without exception, but a *lot* of the time.  So a) I don't really see me being cruel to others when i use my abilites, and b) feeling like turnabout should be fair play means it doesn't feel cruel to me if i get mezzed.  I'm usually just "doh! I gotta be quicker next time" / "gotta scan the group before I jump in!".

Of course, I also have no great gripe against Sappers / SuperStunners either.  Yes, they're devastatingly effective against me.  Yes, I have to treat them as High Priority Targets.  But I never avoid Malta or Freakshow or Carnies or any other faction just because of this, and I would consider it a major mistake if they removed mobs that use End Drain against players from the picture. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Black Zot said:

How dare mobs actually fight back with similar tools we slaughter them with. The audacity.

• Like 5

Build Up.

Assassin's Blades.

Miss.

Especially annoying when done from Hide out of combat. In combat, misses happen. Out of combat, I'll wait for Build Up to cycle and take the autohit. (Only when soloing, obviously.)

• Like 3

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

I think it's more of an issue with there being nothing to do while Held/Stunned/Slept.

If, for example, Players received a mini-game of something akin to Simon Says which could be optionally completed to reduce the duration of hard Status Effect Powers, then it might actually go over a bit better.

The Break Frees or Support and Survival Buffs that grant Protection would still work exactly as they do right now, but in this situations where a player is locked down and just sitting idle with absolutely no recourse, this would at least keep them engaged with the game, instead of feeling like somebody came along and yanked them away from the game.

Some thoughts to explore, at least.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 5:55 PM, Luminara said:

Anyone else envision Igneous critters in cubicles, sipping coffee, tapping away on spreadsheets and muttering about TPS reports?

b6ce8eba05130360ff1987596264c397981cc489.jpeg

• Haha 2

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.