Granite armor uhh. . . what's the deal?

FullEclipse

It is NOT "unplayable".

It's just a stiff penalty to pay for being the absolute toughest thing in the game.

And it's a bit unwarranted now that it's possible to build other tanks to practically similar levels of indestructibility.  Without the crippling penalties.

Note: I've been playing since 07/04/2008.  Granite's ALWAYS had these penalties as far as I know.

Edited by Hyperstrike
  • Like 3

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

Toggle, no crash, 80% of the way to capping your resist and defense with just 6 slots.  A penalty is added just as much as the crash for other long recharge T9 clicks

• Like 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

Not to mention that when it was made, back in the mists of time, aeons ago.....they would have expected you to turn it on and off. You turn it on to stand in the middle of absolute silliness or in front of an AV, they didn't think you'd actually do everything with it on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The idiot formerly known as Lord Khorak

5 hours ago, Snarky said:

Because it turns you into a rock.  or a lobster.  I only played one for a day.  It was that bad.  Cannot remember the exact details.  But it was just unplayable to me.  And my costume was gone.

• Haha 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

4 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Those penalties for Granite were in on the Beta server back March of 2004.

That said I understand the -recharge, but if anything it should have a +damage, I mean your getting hit by a 2 ton chunk of rock.

Excuse me? How rude. I've lost a lot of weight since the last time you saw me. 😛 

On 3/25/2021 at 6:02 PM, FullEclipse said:

Well if that is the case I have very different memories of them, ohh well.

It used to make Stone, by far, the best tank in the game because it did what IOs do now - make Tanks (and to an extent, other players too) nigh invincible. After IOs, the armor became completely obsolete, but myself and many other OGs (probably you!) remember the days when Stone tanks were considered gods. I, too, came back and was surprised at how weak the power was.

Edited by TC

On 3/30/2021 at 6:18 PM, TC said:

It used to make Stone, by far, the best tank in the game because it did what IOs do now - make Tanks (and to an extent, other players too) nigh invincible. After IOs, the armor became completely obsolete, but myself and many other OGs (probably you!) remember the days when Stone tanks were considered gods. I, too, came back and was surprised at how weak the power was.

perspective.  it is not weak.  it makes you nigh indestructible with no i/o.  but i/o builds are not just common, they are required for a lot of hot rolling late game teams. (and some early game teams that are...overenthusiastic....?) So any benefit that Stone had is overshadowed by everyone having their special place with none of the penalties (except purchasing i/o builds)

I'd say for a brute it's still relevant. And the negatives are far easier to work around. My last brute pre-snap was a stone/stone. Basically unkillable, with actual damage in comparison to the tank damage levels of the time. Now with the tank changes the middle ground is much closer. For a cheaper price you can basically make a /stone brute as unkillable as a IOed out invul tank, just with the inability to get over a curb. But you'll still do more damage overall in most instances.

Its super tough to everything but psi and i think toxic. Its too much tank considering all the other options, the pain to get there and the penalties but its fair. I just wish i could get a mudpots on another set. That is an amazing power. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 6:04 PM, Verfall said:

I'd say for a brute it's still relevant.

Agreed! I feel like Granite is super mega overkill for a Tanker in today's game, but may be worth building around on a Brute, given their more difficult time reaching the resist cap.

Even given that, I'm not a big fan myself. If I had a character theme that suited a giant rock, I guess I'd go for it!

Edited by Onlyasandwich

My Stoner sports speeds of 30mph in granite, and about 18mph with the poop boots on as well.  My recharge is still subpar, but once I got Ageless, its actually net positive, about 80%..

Its a niche, and you need to be a pro with teleport for the vertical task forces, like ITF and States, but I was able to tank Lord Recluse with all 4 beams on him, no earth's embrace. 

I also pair my stoner with Kinetic Melee because the animations are slow like my recharge and looks really cool when a giant slab is doing martial arts!

Edit: Its a ProcMonster build and actually does large burst to counter its lower recharge,  extremely fun, but def overkill.

Edited by FuturaTrunks

On 4/14/2021 at 3:33 AM, FuturaTrunks said:

My Stoner sports speeds of 30mph in granite, and about 18mph with the poop boots on as well.  My recharge is still subpar, but once I got Ageless, its actually net positive, about 80%..

Its a niche, and you need to be a pro with teleport for the vertical task forces, like ITF and States, but I was able to tank Lord Recluse with all 4 beams on him, no earth's embrace. 

I also pair my stoner with Kinetic Melee because the animations are slow like my recharge and looks really cool when a giant slab is doing martial arts!

Edit: Its a ProcMonster build and actually does large burst to counter its lower recharge,  extremely fun, but def overkill.

Would you be willing to share said build? 🙂

On 4/2/2021 at 10:32 PM, Thrax said:

It’s awesome. You can get around the run speed super easy. My stone tank has MA and for flipping around is awesome.  

Do you have a build for it, just got mine to 50 and looking to Io her out? Thanks