Tutorials

Wild Claw

This was mentioned in a thread about regen:

26 minutes ago, America's Angel said:

Don't make changes to the game that can be fixed by a tutorial. lol

And that sparked a thought.

Outbreak, Breakout, and the Galaxy tutorials exist... that's about all I can say about them. The Twinshot and Graves tutorials are kinda pointless as any character high enough level to trigger them is already past the point of needing a tutorial on the things they cover. And then there's the AE 'tutorial' which is more a walking simulator as you don't actually *do* anything, and the Invention tutorial... which is fine, if boring the 1000th time through it.

What other things *need* tutorials? 

And the actual sparked thought: Are there any tutorials that the expert players here could put together themselves in AE and present to the Devs as fait accompli? I have no idea how you would do that for a powerset like Regen, but I'm not as creative as others. 🙂

1 hour ago, Wild Claw said:

Outbreak, Breakout, and the Galaxy tutorials exist... that's about all I can say about them. The Twinshot and Graves tutorials are kinda pointless as any character high enough level to trigger them is already past the point of needing a tutorial on the things they cover. And then there's the AE 'tutorial' which is more a walking simulator as you don't actually *do* anything, and the Invention tutorial... which is fine, if boring the 1000th time through it.

And the actual sparked thought: Are there any tutorials that the expert players here could put together themselves in AE and present to the Devs as fait accompli? I have no idea how you would do that for a powerset like Regen, but I'm not as creative as others. 🙂

need a tutorial on how to use a lot of the "big" powers effectively.  Do not immobilize mobs before the tank gathers them.  Do not Fold Space Mobs away from DoT patches

• Like 1

Incarnates need a tutorial. 

I should spell that out in big red flashing letters or something, too.  That was like handing us the keys to a Tardis without a users' manual.  Hell, I still have questions.  And I also still lose interest with equipping a toon in that system pas a few branches up the trees partly because of that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I'm not sure enhancements have a starter tutorial.  You get a bit of one with the crafted enhancements at the Steel Canyon university down the line, but a shiny new user will be offered dual and now single origin enhancements at the starter vendors almost immediately, and it might help that they understand both of them as well as the origin variables, so that they don't buy mutant origins and pass them by mail to their tech alt, or to their equally shiny new buddy in a tech avatar.

I'd also think a tutorial laying out exactly what items a new character should acquire from a P2W vendor would help.  While the P2W vendor makes a few comments, their more along the lines of a sales pitch to use the service, rather than a good introduction as to what would benefit a new player, and seeing as the vendor has quite a list of goods, I can see it as confusing or overwhelming.

The twinshot "tutorial" is just ... annoying.  I don't normally complain about having to run around for missions, but for some reason this one just *irks* me.

Honestly, I'm an altaholic. It'd be nice if she were just as optional (go up to her and click if you want to run it) as the old starter missions if there's any other characters on an account.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

11 minutes ago, Greycat said:

The twinshot "tutorial" is just ... annoying.  I don't normally complain about having to run around for missions, but for some reason this one just *irks* me.

Honestly, I'm an altaholic. It'd be nice if she were just as optional (go up to her and click if you want to run it) as the old starter missions if there's any other characters on an account.

Same here

• Like 1

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

1 hour ago, Greycat said:

I expect for most of us who feel this way it's because her arc and Graves' redside are written assuming both the character and the player are complete and total idiots.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, merrypessimist said:

I expect for most of us who feel this way it's because her arc and Graves' redside are written assuming both the character and the player are complete and total idiots.

Some are Complete Idiots.

Some are Total Idiots.

Complete AND total Idiots?  Now that's a rare find and should be cherished.

--We are a rare breed.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later
On 4/4/2021 at 2:03 AM, Clave Dark 5 said:

Incarnates need a tutorial. 

I should spell that out in big red flashing letters or something, too.  That was like handing us the keys to a Tardis without a users' manual.  Hell, I still have questions.  And I also still lose interest with equipping a toon in that system pas a few branches up the trees partly because of that.

Actually, once you understand it, the incarnate system is actually pretty simple (ignore shards and shard-side components).  The problem is that you'd never know it's simple from looking at the game interface.   

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Player x joins a team

"Hi where to?"

That needs a tutorial. Too many people have no clue how to use the team window.

• Like 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

On 4/14/2021 at 2:39 PM, Shred Monkey said:

Actually, once you understand it, the incarnate system is actually pretty simple (ignore shards and shard-side components).  The problem is that you'd never know it's simple from looking at the game interface.   

I think I've identified the problem here.  😀

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

1 hour ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

I think I've identified the problem here.  😀

Here's the 2 things that, once I understood them, opened up my eyes to everything else.  I'm intentionally leaving out information for simplification, but this will get you everything you need.  I hope this helps you or anyone else who finds the interface confusing.

#1 - All the recipes follow this pattern:

image.png.140a2c8b61b9f13d161759915ed6cd64.png

#2 - These 4 options are where you go to create the salvage you're missing.

For common salvage: 20 Threads

NE5PWg8Vtmtt1YrANgnvnRNokLmeOMLmY7LZJgI0Qx4DnXBM7ciLfeu8w-2poafMKuP4W_gHK_3nai9GT9jwZdEyLfOUehxKD1lEtXz9YYMrgkpAfMceANKrg_FRa50Ahkp28RXW3Z0

For uncommon salvage: 60 Threads

aNPqeihOr_nAKDOrn_pySob7p9XLdDNgmucObyeEaaPQjyEVzeuA-8lW3qv2U2FtJrtP12vL2ay45cHcMPydoodX0Zzewae85WmDVr0NgZqbnFMwihsVY9B29PklfmvShVFimGxrhEo

For rare salvage: 8 Empyrean Merits

_nCMMdyyt5x8geQ7xYmdy8uBKq8rewJUEftqLJU-KrEDwlucZa7kn_QqHonqX2GR8htuDUygKM1oObI8c8n8xffRMK7zAKaoiEM6kY1dQjjQVZJtr9zf4LVSzxblShHiwiYyhDtWn98

For very rare salvage: 30 Empyrean Merits

Ffh75tI_ZwIYwq_-UGK9GPZ2jJxNbGS-NRT4WIlq4igADq1bRgS2PBKISWfjCkV3KcfjjVD2OAbpfuqNWdWwtKpG2-Ih_mrzBvFP2LaYNqSRzbjVnC7oK5J2Ncs33fzTxduMS44vyp8

Threads are random drops from level 50+ enemies, so just play the game killing things over level 50.  To get Empyrean Merits, level up.  You get 20 Emp merits every 3rd veteran level. The rewards decrease as you level up but you'll have everything built before that happens.

Edited by Shred Monkey

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

That's a good start towards a tutorial, yes. 

Why does it also tell me when I need to make a tier 2 3 or 4  that I also need the lower stages below the one?  Is it lying?

Go have fun!

1 hour ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

That's a good start towards a tutorial, yes. 

Why does it also tell me when I need to make a tier 2 3 or 4  that I also need the lower stages below the one?  Is it lying?

Making the tier 2 slot consumes the tier 1 slot as part of the recipe.   Making the tier 3 slot consumes the tier 2.   Making a tier 4 slot consumes two tier 3 slots.

Active on Excelsior:

On 4/3/2021 at 3:17 PM, Wild Claw said:

I recall most of the Incarnate stuff, but that could probably use a tutorial for late comers and complete newbies to our beloved City.

Edit:  And I see that someone has put up text and graphics describing a simplified version of the process.  I don't know if something like that could be created in AE or not (which is what was asked and I was replying to initially.

Edited by Col. Kernel
Belated update

10 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

Making the tier 2 slot consumes the tier 1 slot as part of the recipe.   Making the tier 3 slot consumes the tier 2.   Making a tier 4 slot consumes two tier 3 slots.

"So yes, you'll have to expend resources to rebuild these for the next one."

Nice that that's explained fully to me now.  Not that the game ever gave that to me.  The few times I've done this I kept thinking "is this right?  Maybe I don't understand this right and I'm wasting resources?  Because this really seems wasteful."

Edited by Clave Dark 5

Go have fun!

On 4/4/2021 at 10:50 PM, Greycat said:

If it could be scaled lower perhaps?  It and Graves? So that you do it when you would actually be learning this stuff?  OR....Both have the "tutorial" bits cut out of them and have them as just arcs at that level.

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

I won't have a WORD said against the Galaxy Tutorial.  Blue Spectrum is a true hero, damn it!  (Also, Shivan shards causing time fractures because there's Sister Psyche and yet...said this before...when I get of the chopper I find she's been dead for AGES.  Penny who now?)

Hmm.  Shivan shards causing time fractures could be meta'd to hand wave away the "gap".

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

23 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

Here's the 2 things that, once I understood them, opened up my eyes to everything else.  I'm intentionally leaving out information for simplification, but this will get you everything you need.  I hope this helps you or anyone else who finds the interface confusing.

I wish there were recipes added so we could just pay threads and empyrean merits straight up without having to convert them, because that's a completely unnecessary step nowadays.

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Praetoria-related: Earth Revolution Red, Earth Revolution Blue
  • Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora