Patch Notes for April 20th, 2021 - Issue 27, Page 2

Jimmy

2 hours ago, UberGuy said:

That's what the first one does. Just bind the first one to whatever key you want, using this

/bind <SOMEKEY> <THE_COMMANDS>

Include the quotes around the <THE_COMMANDS> part.

The second one is a convenience to have one key to stop flying with,

Ohhhh now I get it!  Perfect.

So this is what I did:

/macro FLY "powexec_toggleoff Sprint$$powexec_name Hover$$powexec_name Fly"

/macro RUN "powexec_toggleoff Fly$$powexec_toggleoff Hover$$powexec_toggleon Sprint"

Click FLY to drop Sprint and turn on Fly. Each click of FLY toggles between Fly & Hover. Click RUN to drop Fly or Hover and turn on Sprint.

Works perfect for my playstyle (I'm a clicky kinda guy). TY UberGuy. 🙂

Edited by damienray
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, UberGuy said:

For comparison:

All of this in no more than two buttons.  Anything more than that is worse than what we had before the patch.

You can do this in two buttons if you're willing to double click to get from ground to Hover. If not, you'll need three. I don't see how you had this in two buttons before, though, as you could not have had "ground to Hover in one click" on the same key as "ground to Fly in one click", and you also had a landing key.

Double click is more than I had to do before; as I said, each function needs to be doable with a single keypress.  

This was all perfectly manageable before, and did not require any keybinds beyond setting Hover and Fly each to an individual key.

Single keypress to go from on the ground to Fly active. - Press "Fly" key

Single keypress to go from on the ground to Hover active. - Press "Hover" key

Single keypress to toggle from Fly to Hover - Press "Hover" key while Fly is active

Single keypress to toggle from Hover to Fly. - Press "Fly" key while Hover is active

Single keypress to turn off Fly. - Press "Fly" key while Fly is active

Single keypress to turn off Hover. - Press "Hover" key while Hover is active

All of this in no more than two buttons.  Anything more than that is worse than what we had before the patch. - Two keys, one for Fly, one for Hover.  Done.

Any way that I try to substitute this functionality with complicated keybinds after the patch requires at least three keys and/or double clicks.  It's definitely a QoL decrease for me.

Edited by Blackbird71

41 minutes ago, Blackbird71 said:

Double click is more than I had to do before; as I said, each function needs to be doable with a single keypress.  

This was all perfectly manageable before, and did not require any keybinds beyond setting Hover and Fly each to an individual key.

Single keypress to toggle from Fly to Hover - Press "Hover" key while Fly is active

Single keypress to toggle from Hover to Fly. - Press "Fly" key while Hover is active

All of this in no more than two buttons.  Anything more than that is worse than what we had before the patch. - Two keys, one for Fly, one for Hover.  Done.

Any way that I try to substitute this functionality with complicated keybinds after the patch requires at least three keys and/or double clicks.  It's definitely a QoL decrease for me.

Maybe explain exactly how you accomplished this before. I think there's a miscommunication either on how you did this or how what @UberGuy
posted works. Did you try it in game and it doesn't work how you want it to?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Blackbird71 said:

I just did this with Combat Jumping and Super Jump:

I had these two powers in trays 1 and 2 in position 9 in each.  I had 'q' bound to CJ and 'alt+q' bound to SJ.  So I keep the powers there just like before.  But I didn't ever activate them by clicking the mouse.  Just the keypresses.  If that's okay with you, this will work same as before the issue release (except in your case, with Hover and Fly):

bind q "powexec_toggleoff Super Jump$$powexec_name Combat Jumping"

bind alt+q "powexec_toggleoff Combat Jumping$$powexec_name Super Jump"

Like I said, mouse clicking doesn't work this way and would still allow both powers to be active if you activate them by clicking.  Mouse clickers would have to create macro buttons with the above binds in them.  That would work, but wouldn't show the spinning indicator of an active toggle around the button like before.  Very close though to the same functionality as before.

I should note, I had some weirdness while I was doing these binds.  I had to unbind both keys first and then rebind them as given above.   Not sure what that was about.

You can add toggleoff statements to these binds for things like Ninja Run as well, since I think that used to be exclusive with travel powers before as well.  And then the Ninja Run bind would toggle off both Hover and Fly.  Should work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nerio72 said:

Maybe explain exactly how you accomplished this before. I think there's a miscommunication either on how you did this or how what @UberGuy
posted works. Did you try it in game and it doesn't work how you want it to?

Um, what part of my explanation did you not understand?  This was literally the simplest setup possible:  One key assigned to toggle Fly, and one assigned to toggle Hover.  Done.

1 hour ago, UberGuy said:

OK. I've given you all the help I can offer. If one more key (to land) is that much of a QoL decrease, I literally cannot assist.

I honestly didn't think it would be until I spent more time playing it.  I didn't realize how often I need to switch between these, or switch one of the powers on or off.  It became very annoying after a short while.

10 minutes ago, ZemX said:

I just did this with Combat Jumping and Super Jump:

I had these two powers in trays 1 and 2 in position 9 in each.  I had 'q' bound to CJ and 'alt+q' bound to SJ.  So I keep the powers there just like before.  But I didn't ever activate them by clicking the mouse.  Just the keypresses.  If that's okay with you, this will work same as before the issue release (except in your case, with Hover and Fly):

bind q "powexec_toggleoff Super Jump$$powexec_name Combat Jumping"

bind alt+q "powexec_toggleoff Combat Jumping$$powexec_name Super Jump"

Like I said, mouse clicking doesn't work this way and would still allow both powers to be active if you activate them by clicking.  Mouse clickers would have to create macro buttons with the above binds in them.  That would work, but wouldn't show the spinning indicator of an active toggle around the button like before.  Very close though to the same functionality as before.

I should note, I had some weirdness while I was doing these binds.  I had to unbind both keys first and then rebind them as given above.   Not sure what that was about.

You can add toggleoff statements to these binds for things like Ninja Run as well, since I think that used to be exclusive with travel powers before as well.  And then the Ninja Run bind would toggle off both Hover and Fly.  Should work.

I tried something like this, but it still requires a third bind to turn off either or both powers for when you don't want any of them running (e.g., if Super Jump is already running and Combat Jumping is off, and you want to turn off Super Jump without activating Combat Jumping, that's a new key or a manual mouse click of the power).  That's three keys needed, one more than before.  My key real estate is limited, and it's (what should be) an unnecessary complication.

Add to this the fact that I gain literally nothing from being able to run both Fly and Hover at the same time, as I've never had a situation where I want them both at the same time, and this update is extremely frustrating.  It's a "fix what isn't broken" change that ends up breaking something else.  In my estimation, that's a worse than worthless change.

Edited by Blackbird71

2 minutes ago, Blackbird71 said:

Um, what part of my explanation did you not understand?  This was literally the simplest setup possible:  One key assigned to toggle Fly, and one assigned to toggle Hover.  Done.

Post the exact bind you used to do this.

3 minutes ago, Nerio72 said:

Post the exact bind you used to do this.

I did.  You quoted it.

I literally just assigned one key to each power.  What is so difficult to understand here?

Edited by Blackbird71

I did.  You quoted it.

I literally just assigned one key to each power.  What is so difficult to understand here?

Could you provide the text that you used after the /bind command?

5 minutes ago, BZRKR said:

Could you provide the text that you used after the /bind command?

4 minutes ago, Nerio72 said:

Nothing you've said is an actual bind.

Is this really so complicated I have to spell it out?  As I said, I bound each power to it's own key.

/bind lalt+numpad4 "powexec_name Hover"
/bind lalt+numpad5 "powexec_name Fly"

That's it.  I use a gaming macro keyboard, so I have a macro key assigned to "lalt+numpad4" and another one to "lalt+numpad5", so I can trigger each with a single keypress, but I could get the same result by binding the same commands to any other single key.

I could also achieve the same thing by just using the default key command for whatever tray slots I have Hover and Fly in.  Really, this isn't a complicated setup.  One key, one power.

Edited by Blackbird71
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blackbird71 said:

Is this really so complicated I have to spell it out? 

Yes. You must communicate fully and without assumptions when discussing technical issues. Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Is this really so complicated I have to spell it out?  As I said, I bound each power to it's own key.

/bind lalt+numpad4 "powexec_name Hover"
/bind lalt+numpad5 "powexec_name Fly"

That's it.  I use a gaming macro keyboard, so I have a macro key assigned to "lalt+numpad4" and another one to "lalt+numpad5", so I can trigger each with a single keypress, but I could get the same result by binding the same commands to any other single key.

Why are you being so combative with people that are trying to help you? Now EVERYONE knows exactly what you had previously and can maybe try and help you get that same functionality. Or maybe they won't since you just seem to want to fight.

Thank you for finally answering a simple question.

• Like 2

Just now, Nerio72 said:

Why are you being so combative with people that are trying to help you? Now EVERYONE knows exactly what you had previously and can maybe try and help you get that same functionality. Or maybe they won't since you just seem to want to fight.

Thank you for finally answering a simple question.

I'm not trying to be combative, but I'm getting frustrated with having to spell out the simplest of details that I already explained.  I'm literally trying to keep myself from smacking my head into my desk right now.  Asking a question when you literally quoted the answer to that very question tells me you didn't bother to read what I had written, and sets the assumption that you won't read further replies, and that is a frustrating basis to set for any communication.

Making what you are looking for as simple as possible is not a bad thing. You never said exactly what you had (the actual bind text) you just said you had each power bound to a key. There are lots of ways to do that so "dumbing" it down is helpful.

Just now, Nerio72 said:

Making what you are looking for as simple as possible is not a bad thing. You never said exactly what you had (the actual bind text) you just said you had each power bound to a key. There are lots of ways to do that so "dumbing" it down is helpful.

I explained in detail exactly how each keypress achieved what I wanted it to do in each situation.  And I really shouldn't have to explain how "one key, one power" works.  It's like everyone spends so much time putting together the most complicated and convoluted binds that they forget what it's like to just have single keys activate single powers, exactly as if you had clicked those powers.

Do people really feel a need to land so much? I never land except when roleplaying. When that happens I use the mouse to detoggle Hover.

I'm in Hover mode since logging in until logging out. As such I have a one keybind to activate Fly (mouse button4), a second press activates Afterburner. I have one keybind that detoggles Fly (control + button4) and ensures Hover is on (strictly speaking not needed, but it's legacy from the previous patch).

To be honest nothing much changed other than needing to detoggle Fly so it's not consuming endurance.

1 minute ago, Nerio72 said:

Sorry for your frustration, hopefully someone solves your problem to your satisfaction

The only possible solution I can come up with is a set of rolling bind files, but that presents it's own complications, such as if anything happens to disrupt the sequence (powers getting toggled on or off by means other than the bound keys, etc.).  Plus, that's just a mess to have to set up compared to the simple way it worked before, again requiring more work to fix something that should not have been broken to begin with.

I could live with the way things are a little easier if the Fly animation overrode the Hover animation, instead of the other way around.  While not optimal for other reasons, I could get by with leaving Hover active while Flying, and just toggle Fly on and off for travel.  It still requires more key presses in common situations (such as wanting both Fly and Hover turned off upon reaching a destination), and would eat up a marginal amount of END having both active when I have no need for Hover's defense, but it would at least improve a majority of my use cases.

And yes, I know I can change the Hover stance.  That's not what I'm looking for.  I want to keep the default Hover stance when hovering, but go to the default Fly stance if Fly is active.  Currently the only way to do that is by turning Hover off when Fly has been turned on.

Actually, a little bird pointed out to me a bind combo that I think (?) does what you want, @Blackbird71

Bind this to start or stop flying. Hover turns off if it was running

"powexec_toggleoff Hover$$powexec_name Fly"

Bind this to start or stop hovering. Fly turns off if it was running.

"powexec_toggleoff Fly$$powexec_name Hover"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blackbird71 said:

I tried something like this, but it still requires a third bind to turn off either or both powers for when you don't want any of them running (e.g., if Super Jump is already running and Combat Jumping is off, and you want to turn off Super Jump without activating Combat Jumping, that's a new key or a manual mouse click of the power).  That's three keys needed, one more than before.  My key real estate is limited, and it's (what should be) an unnecessary complication.

You must have done something different.  This works exactly as you specified.  If Super Jump is already running, hittting its key turns it off.  It does not turn on Combat Jumping.  

@UberGuy has just posted the same solution I did.  It works.  Give it a shot.  If it doesn't work, try unbinding both keys and trying again.  Like I said, I did experience one problem like you describe but once I made sure both keys were unbound first, I got it working.

For those having trouble with the exclusivity and wishing to replicate pre-Page 2 functionality, you can do the following macros:

/macroimage "flight_combatflight.png" "Hover" "powexec_toggleoff Fly$$powexec_name Hover"

/macroimage "flight_travelflight.png" "Fly" "powexec_toggleoff Hover$$powexec_name Fly"

Those will look and work like the old Hover/Fly; however, you will not get the swirling icon to indicate the toggle is active (a limitation of macros). If this is an issue, you can use a keybind instead. I don't know what keys you use, so I'll use an example of "H" for hover and "F" for fly.

/bind h "powexec_toggleoff Fly$$powexec_name Hover"

/bind f "powexec_toggleoff Hover$$powexec_name Fly"

UberGuy already showed the bind solution, so I apologize for my redundant post. 

Edited by GoldStandard
  • Like 3