Exploration Tips and the return of "slow play"

cranebump

I created a new toon on the erroneous supposition that I could plant them on top of the Void disc and spray havoc below. Ended up with Sonic/SR Sentinel, which is a combo I've never played (and wouldn't have considered, save I wanted to float above everything and just dodge the hell out of it).:-)

Anyhoo, once I got over the fact that I was stupid (again [sigh]), I decided to solo this redside guy to 20, then get to blue the old fashioned way via tips. I'm likely one of the few people who just hates The Radio contact, so I just continued with papers in PO. Since you can also pick up tip mishes to get Exploration badges via the new Tips system, I would grab the paper mish, then slowly plow my way to the door, street sweeping along the way, hoping to collect the badge mishes. In a short time, I was able to get 3 of them for the zone, which I collected along with the papers, which led to the bank mishes, where I did the objectives and the sides.

While I'm sure the intention of the Explore tip was to encourage street sweeping/badge finding, I gotta say I like the synergy when you're soloing. You can grab the explore badges as you play, dropping them organically right into the LR TP (assuming you have it). Good stuff! 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

I got 4 zone accolades today with my lvl 50 MM in the lower level zones just street sweeping w/o the pets out.  I never used afterburner more than today.

• Like 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

I'm having hella fun just straight up murdering arresting thugs in lowbie zones for the exploration badges.  Thanks for the "tip", @cranebump😁

• Haha 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

I have always attacked the thugs stealing people's handbags.

This now just gives me more reason to keep doing that.

I've probably been a "slow play" player for my entire time in CoH.

I mostly use the trains and boats to get around, unless I'm in a real hurry.

I loved Ninja Run on live, still do.

• Like 1

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

I don't do badges.  But I was in PP for a mission and did not have a badge so I did not have the zone teleport.  The minions were grey to me, so I used some aoe and started wiping out spawns.  A few spawns and I had a tip.  It was easy to follow the tip and get the badge.  So easy, I did more sweeping and got 3 more badges.

It really is a great mechanic for engaging with a zone.  It made getting the badges easy - although I have a tip for a badge in the trees and that one I did not get.

15 hours ago, DougGraves said:

It really is a great mechanic for engaging with a zone.  It made getting the badges easy

I learned a lot about the Hollows (helluva lot of badges there) and Boomtown was quite challenging (tunnels and fallen skyscrapers).  It was fun, and now I have zone completion badges I never came even close to getting before.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

7 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

I learned a lot about the Hollows (helluva lot of badges there)

Pretty sure it's 8.  They were normalized to all have 8 exploration badges except a few exceptions like Pocket D, Kallisti Wharf, Ouroboros.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

I haven't done a badge tip yet, but wanted to shout out for running a solo toon for what I guess you might term "intentional slow playing."  MY first real high level character was a redside stalker, and I abused the Hide to really get around and just look at stuff, so recently I made a new redside stalker that I've mostly just soloed with on redside.  Now at 40 or so, I'm going to have to go back and street sweep all the lower zones for the fun of badging with him too -- sure I have the Vidiots map, but where's the fun in that?  It's about my stalker's journey, not his destination.

• Like 1

Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney: Matt (Posi) used to say that players would find the shortest path to the rewards even if it was a completely terrible play experience that would push them away from the game...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I agree... explore tips are now part of my normal gameplay.  I never really liked using videot maps or online resources to find explore badges.  It seems like a form of "cheating," but finding badges without help is just dumb luck and not really practical.  This new system is a nice balance of effort versus reward for normal gameplay. 

• Like 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Agreed!

Plus it's a spoonful of sugar for folks still upset about the limits placed on /enterbasefrompasscode!

Yay devs!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On 4/24/2021 at 3:36 PM, ZorkNemesis said:

I just like all the new flavor text.  Who would've expected the Paragon City laundromats to the one of the biggest rackets in the city?

Have you never considered how much of a "killing" they'd make especially after a Contact sends you after the Vahzilok?

• Like 1