Deities and Demigods and where are they at?

So where are they? Do they just not exist in this reality?

You'd think that with Cimerora (Greco/Roman), Olympian guard, Shiva, etc that there would be references at least that they exist or did.

The Well of Furies good tie in to Odin, Celtic gods to Croatoa, the list goes on.

Is this because of Marvel and DC or just never added.

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

45 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

The Well of Furies good tie in to Odin

Zeus.  The Erinyes, what we now refer to as the Furies, were from Greek mythology.

In the Pandora's Box series, you release the power of Zeus.  In the Dark Astoria stories, you resurrect one Old God (Tielekku) to help you fight another (Mot).

There are mythological references scattered throughout the game.  Some of them, you've probably seen ten thousand times and never paid attention.  Magic origin enhancements, for example, have several * of Hermes.  Hermes was one of the Greek pantheon.  Others might be slightly less obvious - a mention in a mission dialog box, a plaque in an out of the way place, a line of text in an NPC's description - but they're there.  As I recall, the Banished Pantheon's worship isn't constrained to only Mot, there are other Old Gods they revere, and reading some of their info or listening to their chatter reveals some of those other Old Gods.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

Magic origin enhancements, for example, have several * of Hermes.  Hermes was one of the Greek pantheon. 

Hermes is also the patron god of magic in the pantheon, which accounts for the references.

Eros/Cupid retired according to DJ Zero.  

Edited by duane

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

Zeus.  The Erinyes, what we now refer to as the Furies, were from Greek mythology.

In the Pandora's Box series, you release the power of Zeus.  In the Dark Astoria stories, you resurrect one Old God (Tielekku) to help you fight another (Mot).

There are mythological references scattered throughout the game.  Some of them, you've probably seen ten thousand times and never paid attention.  Magic origin enhancements, for example, have several * of Hermes.  Hermes was one of the Greek pantheon.  Others might be slightly less obvious - a mention in a mission dialog box, a plaque in an out of the way place, a line of text in an NPC's description - but they're there.  As I recall, the Banished Pantheon's worship isn't constrained to only Mot, there are other Old Gods they revere, and reading some of their info or listening to their chatter reveals some of those other Old Gods.

The well of Mimisbrunnr was the one Odin drank from for wisdom. Yes, furies are from Greek myths but as we've seen sometimes names are different for everyone. 

The actually gods themselves is what I'm looking for, oh sure there are references but did they just retire, die, never existed thats the question. 

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

14 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

The well of Mimisbrunnr was the one Odin drank from for wisdom. Yes, furies are from Greek myths but as we've seen sometimes names are different for everyone. 

The actually gods themselves is what I'm looking for, oh sure there are references but did they just retire, die, never existed thats the question. 

I suspect some of that is left deliberately vague so as to better mesh with backstories and headcanons.

And ain't no way any developer with even an ounce of sanity would begin to anywhere near the question of "So what about the gods people believe in now?  Is <current day religion deity goes here> anything in similar origin to Hequat or Lughebru or Mot or..."  and "why don't see <current day religion's deity> showing up like Prometheus does?" 

Nothing good could *possibly* come from such a venture.

21 minutes ago, MTeague said:

I suspect some of that is left deliberately vague so as to better mesh with backstories and headcanons.

And ain't no way any developer with even an ounce of sanity would begin to anywhere near the question of "So what about the gods people believe in now?  Is <current day religion deity goes here> anything in similar origin to Hequat or Lughebru or Mot or..."  and "why don't see <current day religion's deity> showing up like Prometheus does?" 

Nothing good could *possibly* come from such a venture.

Yeah possibly but, seeing how shy the devs were about superheroes/villains in Marvel, DC, Image, etc i figured it was more that they didn't want to have Thor or Zeus running around and potential lawsuits, legal snarls, etc to contend with.

Besides back then during live everyone wasn't as offended about everything.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

The Dark Astoria and Pandora's Box arcs address some of that.

15 minutes ago, MTeague said:

And to leave room for expansion of content.  

• Like 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

I did make one toon sort of mythology based.  I haven't really played him yet.  His name is "Mister Eos" (a play on 'mysterious').  Eos was a Titaness (dawn) and Astraeus (dusk) was her husband.  I didn't really flesh it out well yet because I rolled him as a kinetic/sr brute but I think I should redo him as a inv/dark tanker to be more in line with his 'dusk' title.  He is also associated with winds because of his kids.  Anyhow, I started down the Greek mythology path, just never followed through (yet).  Here's a pic:

Mister_Eos.thumb.png.eb9b3956f731333b536b9489caf20ec1.png

Edited to add:  I also have another 'Mister' toon.  "Mister Ri" (a play on 'mystery') is a peacbringer, husband of my female peacbringer 'Celestri', hence Mister 'Ri'.

Also edited to add:  This gave me serious flashbacks.  I had almost all of those books back in the 80's (and dice and hundreds of painted pewter figures and just about everything else D & D related back then).  Thanks for the memories!  

Deities & Demigods: Cyclopedia of Gods and Heroes from Myth and Legend (Advanced Dungeons and ...

Edited yet again to add:   I just remembered we have the "Blessing of the Zephyr" IO's - 'Zephyr' comes from Zephyrus, the Greek God of the West Wind.

Edited by KauaiJim
  • Like 2

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

17 hours ago, MTeague said:

Where are they?  in the old Advanced Dungeons and Dragons sourcebooks, obviously.

Deities &amp; Demigods: Cyclopedia of Gods and Heroes from Myth and Legend (Advanced Dungeons and ...

Just a quick fyi & history point here, but I love that book (had it decades ago). However there are two versions of it; the original version being one with a chapter of Lovecraftian Gods within it. And the 2nd version which had that chapter removed from the book. Good book in either case, though tje original one rocks more... 😄

Peace...

• Like 1

Please come and join us on Friday at 2pm Central Time for our Friday Fashion Costume Contest (see the link below). We all hope to see you, yes YOU, there... And if you also wish to join our happy group, the Celestial Warriors SG, please feel free to join our Discord (see link below), and/or contact GL herself (Global is @Laucianna), or any of us if we are on in fact... 🙂

Friday Fashion Costume Contest On Excelsior (2pm Central Time)...

The Celestial Warriors Discord Channel...

1 hour ago, BjorJlen said:

Just a quick fyi & history point here, but I love that book (had it decades ago). However there are two versions of it; the original version being one with a chapter of Lovecraftian Gods within it. And the 2nd version which had that chapter removed from the book. Good book in either case, though tje original one rocks more... 😄

Peace...

Still have both 😃 

• Like 1

Lucky dog... 😁

Peace...

• Like 2

Please come and join us on Friday at 2pm Central Time for our Friday Fashion Costume Contest (see the link below). We all hope to see you, yes YOU, there... And if you also wish to join our happy group, the Celestial Warriors SG, please feel free to join our Discord (see link below), and/or contact GL herself (Global is @Laucianna), or any of us if we are on in fact... 🙂

I think (at least back when the game was live) they were deliberately vague on such stuff to allow players room to mess with combined with a possible concern over Marvel (which has both Thor and Hercules as characters and already came after Cryptic/NCsoft once before) and DC throwing a tizzy. Heck, in a few AMAs it was even mentioned the whole 'Incarnate of Zeus' thing was literally just Statesman and Imperious' takeaway from their acquired powers and otherwise have little to do with actually being related to Zeus. (Recluse is a prime example, he calls himself the Incarnate of Tartarus but look up the mythology and tell me what all he has in common with it.)

Though for my part I always thought it would be a cool storyline to bring up Gilgamesh as a former Incarnate himself (though he was born a demi-god, drinking from the Well is what made him 'two thirds god' to 'one third man) who proved uncontrollable by the Well until it killed his companion Enkidu, giving the ancient Sumarian King a vendetta to aid players against the Well's influence. (Or possibly try to kill them)

• Like 1

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Canon_Timeline

First War of Gods

Hequat.jpg
  • One pantheon, lead by Lughebu, discovers how to feed on pain and negative feelings of men instead of worship. The benevolent gods fight against those of them who feed on negative feelings of men. The war ends when the malevolent gods are defeated and banished to the Spiritual Plane, and are now known as the Banished Pantheon.[2]

Second War of Gods

• The goddess Tielekku learns the secrets of Magic and teaches them to other gods. Among her pupils are the gods Ermeeth and Hequat. The god Ermeeth reveals the secrets of magic to his worshipers. As a result, they stop worshiping the gods. Tielekku's faction, led by Hequat, defeat Ermeeth and his followers, effectively forcing them to flee. They cross the Atlantic Ocean and form the city of Oranbega.[2]

54 minutes ago, Arbegla said:
  • One pantheon, lead by Lughebu, discovers how to feed on pain and negative feelings of men instead of worship. The benevolent gods fight against those of them who feed on negative feelings of men. The war ends when the malevolent gods are defeated and banished to the Spiritual Plane, and are now known as the Banished Pantheon.[2]

Wait.  Lughebu et al, are really just a different version of guys looking to charge up batteries?

How do monsters get energy from the sound of children's screams? « Why-Sci

6 hours ago, MTeague said:

Wait.  Lughebu et al, are really just a different version of guys looking to charge up batteries?

How do monsters get energy from the sound of children's screams? « Why-Sci

CookedConcernedCoati-max-1mb.gif.d69afbd8106b03e09985acf12889eb37.gif

Nuff said 😋...

Peace...

• Like 1