Hate to even bring this up...

I hate to even bring this up, but I've seen a host of names of other properties in game this weekend.  I'm not talking homages, where there's subtlety but a different name and enough of a different look and build that it doesn't rip off the trademark.  I'm talking flat out copying the name, and using similar look and build.

Am I correct in assuming the rules have not changed, and this is still not acceptable?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hmmm.   I hope folks aren't misinterpreting the relaxing of the video rules to mean they can trample on IP rights.  I would just take note and maybe shoot a message to the GM's to let them determine what's going on and if it's allowed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

2 minutes ago, KauaiJim said:

Hmmm.   I hope folks aren't misinterpreting the relaxing of the video rules to mean they can trample on IP rights.  I would just take note and maybe shoot a message to the GM's to let them determine what's going on and if it's allowed.

Yes, I was concerned what it might mean if they're on a team that is recorded and the video pushed to the public.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Yes, I was concerned what it might mean if they're on a team that is recorded and the video pushed to the public.

I wholeheartedly concur.  Probably best to call GM attention to it now before it does create a problem.

• Like 1

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

I almost worry if it's people intentionally attempting to undermine the efforts of the streamers by making the videos contain run-by copyright violations.

Except, well, the Homecoming Team has already explained why that's not going to punish the streamers, and really anyone who makes a copyright violation character is only going to get their own account actioned.

. . . buuut . . . I've recently been reminded to never underestimate the drive of someone's pettiness in their efforts to ruin something for others.

Report them.
If they're honest mistakes, I trust the GMs to generic and ask the player to do better.
If they're concerted efforts to cause grief to other players, I expect a list of violations on a single account or I.P. address will help the GMs determine the best course of action.

• Like 4

• City Council
6 minutes ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

Except, well, the Homecoming Team has already explained why that's not going to punish the streamers, and really anyone who makes a copyright violation character is only going to get their own account actioned.

If anything, them trying to be seen on a stream just makes it more likely for them to get in trouble.

But, yeah, as the others have said - just report and move on, the GM team will handle it accordingly if there is a violation.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

5 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

If anything, them trying to be seen on a stream just makes it more likely for them to get in trouble.

But, yeah, as the others have said - just report and move on, the GM team will handle it accordingly if there is a violation.

Thanks!

What petition type does that fall under?  I don't ever recall having to report like that before.   Exploits and Cheating? Harrassment and Conduct? General Help?

Because I'm the contrarian that I am and because I have no reason to morally oppose either side since it hardly has an effect on me, I wonder if this is even really an issue anymore.  Outside of the prospect of becoming the "legit server", would anyone actually take action against you for making rip-off characters?

I see it all the time in the Soul Calibur character customizer that can make some pretty strikingly similar characters.  VR Chat lets you straight up rip models from other games and play as them.  In the time that CoX shut down, a lot has changed.

If some determined group decided to make a server and put a bunch of costume pieces in to facilitate more copies, what could anyone even do to them that already hasn't been done?

Edited by Naraka

11 minutes ago, Naraka said:

If some determined group decided to make a server and put a bunch of costume pieces in to facilitate more copies, what could they even do that they already haven't done?

If they wanted to make copies, this is what the should have done. 

Homecoming servers have rules against it.  Rules they agreed to in order to use them.

Plus.  Tacky.  

AF.

• Like 4

To compound upon what I said earlier, last nite me and a VGmate were cruising AP. We saw a Superman, Supergirl, and a Green Lantern.

Names were close enough as were costumes to be called into serious question. 

Alternative thinking we've already seen one server get shutdown because of lax security, is this any different?

Can it not be construed that such people would try to shutter the most successful server through IP violations? 

Even though I think its more along the lines of straight ignorance, stupidity, hero worship, or just not giving AF. 

Regardless of intent these people must be either informed and having the toon genericed immediately. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

36 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

Even though I think its more along the lines of straight ignorance, stupidity, hero worship, or just not giving AF. 

If I were to try to give the benefit of the doubt here (which is stretching things a bit, I admit), based on the timing I would hope that many of the instances are new accounts who saw this game through the now-legal streams and thought that they could make whatever hero they wanted. Hopefully they would then be brought up to date after GM intervention and would continue to enjoy the game. This would actually be a positive, because it means that lifting the moratorium on streaming is bringing in new people.

It's probably at least as likely as an organized attempt to bring down the server through IP infringement, but I still think that the most likely scenario is it's just a group of people who feel that rules are things that apply to everyone else.

Edited by siolfir
trying to look at silver linings, because I'm told that I should be less cynical
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, siolfir said:

If I were to try to give the benefit of the doubt here (which is stretching things a bit, I admit), based on the timing I would hope that many of the instances are new accounts who saw this game through the now-legal streams and thought that they could make whatever hero they wanted.

Boomer hive-mind aside, it could just be some think it's funny and cool.  I mean, why do people make copy characters on Soul Calibur?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Luminara said:

Niners Find Him GIF - Niners FindHim KillHim GIFs

Well, just to be clear, I believe Worf’s infield chatter is, “Desth to the opposition!” (Apologies-DS9’s my favorite Trek).:-)

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

1 hour ago, Naraka said:

Boomer hive-mind aside, it could just be some think it's funny and cool.  I mean, why do people make copy characters on Soul Calibur?

“Boomer hive-mind?”

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

4 hours ago, Techwright said:

I hate to even bring this up, but I've seen a host of names of other properties in game this weekend.  I'm not talking homages, where there's subtlety but a different name and enough of a different look and build that it doesn't rip off the trademark.  I'm talking flat out copying the name, and using similar look and build.

Am I correct in assuming the rules have not changed, and this is still not acceptable?

I think people should not worry about what others are doing.  Is it hurting you directly?

• Like 1

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

16 minutes ago, cranebump said:

Well, just to be clear, I believe Worf’s infield chatter is, “Desth to the opposition!” (Apologies-DS9’s my favorite Trek).:-)

• Thanks 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

2 minutes ago, wjrasmussen said:

I think people should not worry about what others are doing.  Is it hurting you directly?

Yes, it's hurting everyone who plays the game, directly, by placing the game at risk of further legal issues and potentially forcing the HC team to abandon the project entirely.  If this kind of behavior continues, it will, eventually, force a confrontation with a comic book publisher, which will, in turn, force NCSoft to take action in order to distance themselves, and then it's all over.

Furthermore, the HC team, collectively, would be held responsible in a copyright infringement lawsuit, which could cost them their savings, their homes, their jobs and their futures, and as decent human beings, we shouldn't be shrugging our shoulders and ignoring the risk they're taking in order to do everything they have done and are doing for us.  Since they aren't properly staffed to monitor every zone and every mission map on every server, it falls to us to police ourselves to some degree, and this sort of thing is exactly where that kind of self-policing comes into play.

Don't act like this is a victimless crime.  We all stand to lose, and the HC team stands to lose big, if this goes unchecked.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.