HCWiki and FBSAWiki Downtime

Michiyo

• City Council

Hello all!  As some of you may know, the Pacific North West of the United States is currently going through a record setting heatwave.  Unfortunately the webserver that runs the HCWiki and FBSAWiki (And a lot of other stuff 😞 ) Runs in my garage, hardware failure is quoted @ 47c / 116f and it's currently 110 in my garage.  I've shut the severs that run everything down to avoid damage.  I hope to get the servers back up tomorrow, but that 100% depends on the heat.  Sorry for the downtime, I hope you all understand.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 9
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

29 minutes ago, Lazarillo said:

Friggin' ouch.  Take care of yourself, too!

Also, what's FBSAWiki?

I had to look it up. It stands for the "Federal Bureau of Superpowered Affairs" and is apparently a section of the HCWiki for personal bios I think from what I'm reading about it.

10 hours ago, lemming said:

Yea, I'm in Portland.  We just dropped to 107 so it's cooling off for the evening!

Do what you need to.

I'm in Portland.  Supposed to get 111 today.  I work outside.  Well, a good deal outside, I schlep a truck around town.  I am stunned by how hot it is.  

Thanks Michiyo to you and your garage.  Protect our Encyclopedia!  (and yourself, stay cool)

edit:  now I have seen reports of it getting 116-118 here.  WTF people?

Edited by Snarky

3 hours ago, Snarky said:

I'm in Portland.  Supposed to get 111 today.

I guess news reaches the PNW on a delayed schedule. 🙂

• Haha 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

3 hours ago, Snarky said:

I'm in Portland.  Supposed to get 111 today.  I work outside.  Well, a good deal outside, I schlep a truck around town.  I am stunned by how hot it is.  

Thanks Michiyo to you and your garage.  Protect our Encyclopedia!  (and yourself, stay cool)

Welcome to New Mexico Weather. We're not sorry that you're experiencing our weather, while we get yours (its a nice balmy 74 and overcast today in Northern New Mexico)

• Haha 1

• City Council

Hello all, thank you for all of the support!   The Wikis are back up for now, but temps are looking to be roughly the same as yesterday, so I may have to take stuff back down again this afternoon.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Snarky said:

Stay hydrated!   I have the advantage that I do have A/C and don't have to go out today except in emergency.

All the heat of the desert SW and fortunately only 1/2 the humidity of New Orleans.

And a low percentage of people with A/C.  

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, lemming said:

And a low percentage of people with A/C.  

This is the worst part. I didn't realize that A/C isn't really a thing on the upper North West states, as its literally against the law to NOT have an A/C unit in New Mexico.

3 minutes ago, Arbegla said:

This is the worst part. I didn't realize that A/C isn't really a thing on the upper North West states, as its literally against the law to NOT have an A/C unit in New Mexico.

Yea.  I moved up here in 1998, we didn't have A/C, didn't need it.

We moved down to Utah for 11 years and came back in 2016, had a tiny house built with A/C since we intended to travel.  Decided to stay in PDX.

It's definitely warmer here than it used to be.

1 hour ago, Arbegla said:

Unfortunately, the Seattle/Portland axis prides themselves on not having AC. Which is good in terms of power consumption, greenieness, etc. but means no way to keep cool on even normally warm days. And now...

And yes, Denver seems to be borrowing PNW weather. Cool, gray, rainy, a few warm sunny patches but then back to rain and thunderstorms and coolth. Weird.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Pfft. Just fill a tub with cold water and put them in there! Water cooling's a thing, right?

>.>

(And yeah, thanks for hosting...)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

• City Council

Ok, so the Wikis have been migrated over to a VPS.  And my local hardware has been shutdown.  Sadly I think I blew a 5volt regulator on the motherboard, but will need to dig more.   The Wikis are however now safe in a nicely cooled Datacenter.

Thank you all!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

13 hours ago, Arbegla said:

Welcome to New Mexico Weather. We're not sorry that you're experiencing our weather, while we get yours (its a nice balmy 74 and overcast today in Northern New Mexico)

Oh, I have a saying here. Welcome to Arizona; if you don't like it, you can move to Siberia. Seriously, it's 10:20 and it's 120 degrees.

Do you need a kick-in for hosting fees?

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

14 hours ago, CursedSorcerer said:

Oh, I have a saying here. Welcome to Arizona; if you don't like it, you can move to Siberia. Seriously, it's 10:20 and it's 120 degrees.

Back when I was spending my summer vacations from college at my mother's house in Tempe, Phoenix bought some articulated buses from a company in Germany... and had to relegate them to use from late evening to early morning, because the daytime summer temperatures in Phoenix overloaded the air conditioning units in the buses.