Is it time for fruit salad?

Greycat

Fruit Salad. You know. Chop things up, throw them together, mix it up, hope it works...

Or is that more "slow cooker?" Regardless. There are a lot of discussions on ... interesting power combinations. Why not set - say - two weeks aside on beta to create "any primary/secondary mix, AT independent," a month to keep them for exploration and discussion - then, of course, wipe the characters, since they'd be invalid after that?

Yes, with *plenty* of warnings of "no guarantees, this is not going live, these will be wiped." But still...

Someone mentioned in the (latest) illusion for doms thread "why not just put it on on test and try it?" Well, why not theorycraft other things? Support/armor? Be silly and run a fire armor/rad armor Brute? Be extremely invulnerable (invuln/invuln tank) but be restricted to pool attacks? See what an assault MM (pets/melee set) would be like? Or a Mastershade...

Do this, say, every 2-3 years (what, I have some faith in our longevity) just to chew through ideas. The ones that almost work could be a starting point for other dev work. (Granted, they have plenty to do....)

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I support it!

I feel like the testing environment would be a great place to just throw crap at the wall and see what sticks.  If you discover magic, put that on the live servers!  If it causes a catastrophe, it won't survive the next round of testing.  Like, I get it that HC wants this server to emulate a live-service version of CoH, but you have a bit more freedom!  

I just want to see what kind of insanity (or, maybe, magic?) that would come from being able to pair any powerset with any other powerset.

While your idea seems easier to implement, I was hoping for complete and utter fruit salad -- being able to pick and choose any power from any set.  I want to see how my Tanker with Genetic Contamination, Invincibility, Beta Decay, Rise to the Challenge, Against All Odds, Wet Ice, Burn, and Fiery Embrace would do.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

I want to see how my Tanker with Genetic Contamination, Invincibility, Beta Decay, Rise to the Challenge, Against All Odds, Wet Ice, Burn, and Fiery Embrace would do.

Is your secondary going to be Quills, Death Shroud, Blazing Aura, Irradiated Ground, Lightning Field, Icicles, Taunt, and Savage Leap?

• Haha 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

From a strict standpoint, there's a feature built into the dev tools that allows a user with sufficient access rights to assign an unlimited number of powers from any powerset. So, if it were purely a test server thing, it might be interesting if they lowered the level of access required to unlock those commands. 

From the throwing crap at the wall file...

What about a system where you trade hit points for powers? That is, start with tank level hit points, and pay an HP price for every power you choose? Take Placate, it costs five hit points. Take some monster AoE, 30% of your hit points.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com