Red Haired Stepchild

drbuzzard

Now the new issue looks pretty cool and all, but looks like sentinels remain the red haired stepchild of the game. There's a new blast set for everyone else but sentinels (defender, corrupter, blaster). I think the consensus is fairly universal that the AT needs help, but nope. 

I rather wonder if the dev decided that a tank mage was a bad idea, so they want the class to just fade away. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, drbuzzard said:

I rather wonder if the dev decided that a tank mage was a bad idea, so they want the class to just fade away. 

Or maybe some of these changes are writing on the wall that the Sentinel overhaul is going to be pretty deep.  Perhaps that is why Sentinels aren't getting any changes, not even the ones to Electrical Blast, or (Oops, I missed that Electric Blast does apply; fixed!) any of the new sets or proliferations.  Why do that now when the AT itself may be overhauled later.  

Obviously, I'd more than just really like some communication here, but the sentiment that it is a dead class to be forgotten for evah is a bit extreme.  If that were going to be the case, then just let us all know so we can strip our characters down before they delete the option to play Sentinels further.  

What is going to suck though is the power balance is going to shift once again towards *everything* else which is just going to further creep the divide of the Sentinel (which started somewhat behind and is now exacerbated further... FUN).  

I'm sure we can all look forward to a new future series of shitposts about how bad Sentinels are or how we're all mentally deficient for continuing to play it.  Can't. Wait.

/popcorn

Edited by oldskool
Mistakes and stuff. I swear I wasn't drunk; just stupid.
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I suspect you're likely correct, @oldskool

Sents will get their rework and probably sooner than many of us suspect. At that time, all the blast set changes will get ported in. Yes, I absolutely want to play a stone/inv sent. I think it'll be a hoot. Until then, I'll have a stone/earth blaster and a stone/stone scrapper to work on.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, oldskool said:

Perhaps that is why Sentinels aren't getting any changes, not even the ones to Electrical Blast, or any of the new sets or proliferations.  

They get the changes. The changes also further cement Electric Blast as the premier Sentinel blast set too. Were you worried about the aoe capabilities of Electric? Fear not, the new Shock mechanic has you covered. Does it kind of suck that it's tied to Tesla Cage? Fear not, that's your best attack, you're a Sentinel. Sparky? He's perma, no more stopping every minute to cast a 3.1s pet that also increases your damage by 5%.

Edited by underfyre
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, underfyre said:

They get the changes. The changes also further cement Electric Blast as the premier Sentinel blast set too. Were you worried about the aoe capabilities of Electric? Fear not, the new Shock mechanic has you covered. Does it kind of suck that it's tied to Tesla Cage? Fear not, that's your best attack, you're a Sentinel. Sparky? He's perma, no more stopping every minute to cast a 3.1s pet that also increases your damage by 5%.

Thanks! I missed this while reading the notes on my phone and it was easy to gloss over the call outs to Sentinels.  I've also seen on Reddit that Earth Blast had some time issues on conversion to Sentinels (true or not, I have no idea...).  

1 hour ago, underfyre said:

This actually sounds pretty good.   Think I'm going to have a look at Sent Secondaries .. 

1 hour ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Sents will get their rework and probably sooner than many of us suspect. At that time, all the blast set changes will get ported in. Yes, I absolutely want to play a stone/inv sent. I think it'll be a hoot. Until then, I'll have a stone/earth blaster and a stone/stone scrapper to work on.

The servers are not ready for the might of the poo tossing poo golems.  Earth Blast + Stone Armor?  

I can see the new characters now...  A normal monkey was a part of a school field trip to a waste treatment plant.  The monkey [substitute character name] was bitten by radioactive poo.  They gained the ability to protect themselves with poo and fling it.  Fling it with mighty strength!  

Add auras for gas or even use the nature ground effects (fertilizing everything as you run!).  

Its too powerful, Bill.  Too powerful. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Electric is really nice now. Really nice.  Also remember, Electric blast is one of the blast sets with a ranged nuke for true hover blasting.

Primary Ranged T9 Nukes

Archery 

Assault Rifle 

Beam Rifle 

Electrical Blast 

Ice Blast

Water

PS.   I think the new slow set damage proc will help Ice a bit also.  But I need to double check that it's slottable in the sleep attack.  I can't remember if it takes slows or not.

Edited by SmalltalkJava
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, SmalltalkJava said:

PS.   I think the new slow set damage proc will help Ice a bit also.  But I need to double check that it's slottable in the sleep attack.  I can't remember if it takes slows or not.

Chilling Ray is the sleep and it does indeed take 'Slow Movement' sets.
The Impeded Swiftness Proc and the Gladiator's Javelin Proc are eagerly awaiting some company... 🤩

(I've also got a few caltrop-carpet-bombing toons that are looking forward to it too)

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, oldskool said:

The servers are not ready for the might of the poo tossing poo golems.  Earth Blast + Stone Armor?  

I can see the new characters now...  A normal monkey was a part of a school field trip to a waste treatment plant.  The monkey [substitute character name] was bitten by radioactive poo.  They gained the ability to protect themselves with poo and fling it.  Fling it with mighty strength!  

Add auras for gas or even use the nature ground effects (fertilizing everything as you run!).  

Its too powerful, Bill.  Too powerful. 

Can I steal this for a character?

Seriously...

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

Yeah, been playing an elec/regen build on beta, and the changes are pretty nice. In particular the volt sent changes help a lot and synch nicely with the static build up.

Also, to be rather honest, the earth blast fails to impress looking at the numbers. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I happen to have a fetish for Red-haired stepchildren. I've got 10 of them (thanks to Oldskool's guidance plus others who helped me along the way)... with more on the drawing board. a lot of my in-game friends also sport sents from time to time. So I fail to see a problem with a ranged tank (which is what a real life tank is as opposed to a walking meat shield). Do they need rework? probably. My sents perform quite well solo or in teams, though in teams I wish they could contribute more, but they do their share for now. 

A couple of years ago when I HC just popped up, I knew nothing of the game. The Sentinel was a very forgiving AT to learn the ropes with. Now that I'm less of a newb, I found that I like blapping, (mainly Blasters, Corrs, Doms and Spiders) or rather the versatility to do ranged AND melee attacks with a few crowd control tricks thrown in. Still, sentinels hold a special place in my heart just as they are. Should they get a deep clean update, I'd be happy. Even if they don't I'll still continue to play them. must be a fetish.

On 11/6/2021 at 5:16 PM, SmalltalkJava said:

Electric is really nice now. Really nice.  Also remember, Electric blast is one of the blast sets with a ranged nuke for true hover blasting.

Primary Ranged T9 Nukes

Archery 

Assault Rifle 

Beam Rifle 

Electrical Blast 

Ice Blast

Water

Well yeah maybe but why does a Sent have to worry about being a "Hover Blaster" when they are a Sent with significantly strong defense/resistance armor already in the AT?

I mean for a Blaster yeah, I get you.  And I think the Electric changes will benefit Sent's quite a bit.  But I've never built a Sent for hover blasting because....not needed.

I was certainly disappointed that no real Sentinel changes are in the new patch. I know the devs can only do so much, but ‘it needs work’ is about the only thing about Sentinels that the whole player base agrees on, so it’s a shame to see that pushed to the bottom of the list again. 

Like @oldskoolsays, some communication at least would be nice. 

I have a Dual Pistol / Super Reflexes that is doing Comic con fire farm on 4/8 setting..  

I think Super Reflexes for Sentinels is great.. 

1 hour ago, plainguy said:

I have a Dual Pistol / Super Reflexes that is doing Comic con fire farm on 4/8 setting..  

I think Super Reflexes for Sentinels is great.. 

Even better than the original thanks to the absorption/passive mez protection from master brawler and what appears to be superior scaling damres.

Sentinel: [MagExpr]% Damage Resistance (Smashing, Lethal, Fire, Cold, Energy, Negative Energy) for 2.5s (self only) for 2.5s

Magnitude Expression: 0.004*minmax(60 - source>kHitPoints%, 0, 100)

Scrapper: [MagExpr]% Damage Resistance (Smashing, Lethal, Fire, Cold, Energy, Negative Energy) for 2.5s (self only) for 2.5s

Magnitude Expression: 0.003*minmax(60 - source>kHitPoints%, 0, 100)

This appears to be stating that at 0 health, the scrapper would only reach +60% damres while the sentinel hits +80%. Course, they both cap at 75 so I'm unsure why they did that with sentinels. Maybe the lower cap on max HP that sents have?

Love Super Reflexes on Sentinels. Best version of the powerset on the game. Sentinels probably get best Regen too. 

Favourite Sentinel secondary is definitely Invul though. It’s just beastly when you can cap S/L/E/N/F/C defence and S/L resist, AND still have Dull Pain there if you need it. 

Sentinels need some work but they really are great as they are IMO. So durable. In the last two nights alone my Elec/Invul has been the last man standing (hovering) on a TF wipe and he was able to manage it so everyone else could safely pop wakies. Sure, other ATs kill faster than him, but he’s Mr Consistency just keeps on plugging away slow and steady and who’s there when he’s needed. Love him (and my other Sents too).

• Thumbs Up 4

On 11/14/2021 at 9:43 PM, DarknessEternal said:

Please give example.

Got four /Invul Sents, all with the capped typed defence (all except Psi) and capped S/L. 

NRG/Invul/Lev - Probably my favourite, but only because he’s most Golden Age.

Fire/Invul/Fire - One I had highest expectations of, but didn’t really do it for me.

Psi/Invul/Psi - Best damage with great Proc options. 
Elec/Invul/Mu - Probably the one I use most, due to ranged nuke and sapping fun. 

Off on a trip for two weeks tomorrow but will post some builds when I get back if people are interested. 

It doesn't seem too hard.

I feel like I could get there with some adjustments to this build.

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.5.9
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Mz. Oblique: Level 50 Magic Sentinel
Primary Power Set: Dual Pistols
Secondary Power Set: Invulnerability
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Psionic Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Dual Wield -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(15), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), Apc-Acc/Rchg(31), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(31), Apc-Dam%(33)
Level 1: Temp Invulnerability -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(13), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(15)
Level 2: Pistols -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(3), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(5), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), Dcm-Build%(13)
Level 4: Resist Physical Damage -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(5)
Level 6: Suppressive Fire -- SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg(A), SprSntWar-Dmg/Rchg(7), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(7), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprSntWar-Rchg/+Absorb(11)
Level 8: Swap Ammo
Level 10: Super Jump -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 12: Bullet Rain -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(37), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(39), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(39), Rgn-Knock%(39)
Level 14: Durability -- Heal-I(A), Heal-I(40), EndMod-I(40), EndMod-I(40)
Level 16: Unyielding -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(17), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(17)
Level 18: Executioner's Shot -- SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprOppStr-Dmg/Rchg(19), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(21), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprOppStr-Rchg/+Opportunity(23)
Level 20: Environmental Resistance -- ResDam-I(A), ResDam-I(42)
Level 22: Dull Pain -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(23), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(25), Prv-Heal/Rchg(25), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(27), Prv-Absorb%(27)
Level 24: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 26: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(29), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(29)
Level 28: Invincible -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(42), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(46), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(46)
Level 32: Hail of Bullets -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(33), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), Arm-Acc/Rchg(34), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(34), Arm-Dam%(34)
Level 35: Tough Hide -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(36), DefBuff-I(36), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(36), Rct-ResDam%(37)
Level 38: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(46), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 41: Mass Hypnosis -- CaloftheS-Heal%(A)
Level 44: Dominate -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(45), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(45), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(45)
Level 47: Link Minds -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(48), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(48), Rct-Def/Rchg(48), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 49: Unstoppable -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A)
Level 1: Opportunity
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(43), Mrc-Rcvry+(43)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PwrTrns-EndMod(42), PwrTrns-+Heal(43)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 8: Chemical Ammunition
Level 8: Cryo Ammunition
Level 8: Incendiary Ammunition
Level 10: Double Jump
------------