The Strongest Tank

BurningDezire

10 minutes ago, BurningDezire said:

Title says it all! Any build/suggestions? I've got an Inv/DM that's pretty tough but it's never enough. Looking to fall asleep without concern while standing in front of LR. Don't care for DPS. Want to make a purebred tank. Hit me!

Here's some links, everyone is going to give a different answer. But, obviously you'll notice a trend at least I did, SD/EM seems to be a clear contender for the best imo.

• Like 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

4 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

Here's some links, everyone is going to give a different answer. But, obviously you'll notice a trend at least I did, SD/EM seems to be a clear contender for the best imo.

Agreed, there will be various suggestions. I was expecting Stone to be at the top but I haven't played all powersets.

If you literally want to AFK Tank, I’d say Super Reflexes built for high resistance with your mez protection on auto. Otherwise my personal pick for non-incarnate content would be Invulnerability/Dark Melee. You’re already there, so maybe just a different build? For incarnate content maybe Invuln/Martial Arts, trading some healing for higher defense. But yeah, Stone should be right up there too, possibly on top, I just haven’t played Stone. Shield/Martial Arts is what I play, and it’s very durable, but I do think it’s taking a step down on the survivability scale for more damage output. Also has too much defense outside of incarnate content. But I’m not sure I’m answering this right. If solo, you need some damage output. And on a team, you have lots of support, and it may be that some other Tanker would be more survivable in that context. I’m used to evaluating what sets can do with no support. And with no inspirations for that matter. But I suppose that even making a team Tanker, I’d build for as tough as possible without support since you can’t be certain what a team will have.

17 minutes ago, Werner said:

If you literally want to AFK Tank, I’d say Super Reflexes built for high resistance with your mez protection on auto. Otherwise my personal pick for non-incarnate content would be Invulnerability/Dark Melee. You’re already there, so maybe just a different build? For incarnate content maybe Invuln/Martial Arts, trading some healing for higher defense. But yeah, Stone should be right up there too, possibly on top, I just haven’t played Stone. Shield/Martial Arts is what I play, and it’s very durable, but I do think it’s taking a step down on the survivability scale for more damage output. Also has too much defense outside of incarnate content. But I’m not sure I’m answering this right. If solo, you need some damage output. And on a team, you have lots of support, and it may be that some other Tanker would be more survivable in that context. I’m used to evaluating what sets can do with no support. And with no inspirations for that matter. But I suppose that even making a team Tanker, I’d build for as tough as possible without support since you can’t be certain what a team will have.

SR tank sounds interesting. Have you played incarnate content with it? How does it hold up? Good secondary to boost survival with it? Out of the secondaries, are there any powers that has a good chance of disorienting AVs? 

Edited by BurningDezire

1 minute ago, BurningDezire said:

SR tank sounds interesting. Have you played incarnate content with it? How does it hold up? Good secondary to boost survival with it?

I don’t actually have an SR Tanker, just a DM/SR Brute. SR is much tougher on Tankers though. Incarnate content shouldn’t be much different from normal content since it’s so easy to incarnate soft cap your defense. I’d say SR/Staff since staff can add resistance, and high resistance to stack with the scaling resistance is your secret sauce. You want to hard cap resists with as many hit points left as possible. SR/DM would also be good for the extra healing. I tested SR/Staff on beta. It seemed to be as tough as my Shield/MA, so very tough, but the single target DPS sucked, so I abandoned the idea since I mostly solo. SR was a recommendation for AFK since it can be very tough with no clicking. But I have it on good authority ( @Linea) that it can be made ridiculously tough with lots of clicking by juggling lots of +resist powers. Hard to drive, I hear, but silly good when driven well.

17 minutes ago, BurningDezire said:

SR tank sounds interesting. Have you played incarnate content with it? How does it hold up? Good secondary to boost survival with it? Out of the secondaries, are there any powers that has a good chance of disorienting AVs? 

SR is great for incarnate content, easy to hit 59% and you are basically immune to def debuffs. Dark melee is a nice pair with the heal but if you wanted some variety I bet energy melee would be great. After the rework it’s very good and has lost of stuns potential if that’s your thing.

Also to @Werner ‘s point, yes if you take rune and barrier/melee hybrid incarnates 

and alternate them you can do some impressive things, but for most content it’s overkill.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Werner said:

I don’t actually have an SR Tanker, just a DM/SR Brute. SR is much tougher on Tankers though. Incarnate content shouldn’t be much different from normal content since it’s so easy to incarnate soft cap your defense. I’d say SR/Staff since staff can add resistance, and high resistance to stack with the scaling resistance is your secret sauce. You want to hard cap resists with as many hit points left as possible. SR/DM would also be good for the extra healing. I tested SR/Staff on beta. It seemed to be as tough as my Shield/MA, so very tough, but the single target DPS sucked, so I abandoned the idea since I mostly solo. SR was a recommendation for AFK since it can be very tough with no clicking. But I have it on good authority ( @Linea) that it can be made ridiculously tough with lots of clicking by juggling lots of +resist powers. Hard to drive, I hear, but silly good when driven well.

Seems like Claws, EM and DM are good with it as well but didn't think Staff would. So many good secondaries.

Edited by BurningDezire

3 minutes ago, ihatethewind said:

SR is great for incarnate content, easy to hit 59% and you are basically immune to def debuffs. Dark melee is a nice pair with the heal but if you wanted some variety I bet energy melee would be great. After the rework it’s very good and has lost of stuns potential if that’s your thing.

Also to @Werner ‘s point, yes if you take rune and barrier/melee hybrid incarnates 

and alternate them you can do some impressive things, but for most content it’s overkill.

I like overkill actually, lol! So definitely interested in the impressive things as far as tanking is concerned. I don't care to do dmg when playing a tank, so that's not a concern at all.

Gotta be Granite, is crazy no one has a build up for it now.  I paired it with the frankly overtuned energy melee and it's a beast (this is an older build though, so there could be some tuning done).  Granite is so good that it allows a lot of slotting leeway to proc out attack powers.  When you wake up from your nap and decide to start punching stuff, you'll like what you see.  Also has a heal, but you'll never need it even versus heavy Psi 

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.6.0
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Daddy Doogs: Level 50 Magic Tanker
Primary Power Set: Stone Armor
Secondary Power Set: Energy Melee
Power Pool: Teleportation
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Rock Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(3), Rct-ResDam%(3)
Level 1: Barrage -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(5), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(7), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7)
Level 2: Earth's Embrace -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), ImpArm-ResPsi(9), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(9), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(11), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(11), UnbGrd-Max HP%(13)
Level 4: Stone Skin -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), ImpArm-ResPsi(17), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(19), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(19), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(21), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(21)
Level 6: Combat Teleport -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(23)
Level 8: Mud Pots -- PcnoftheT-Acc/EndRdx(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(23), PcnoftheT-Dmg/Slow(25), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(25), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(27)
Level 10: Rooted -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal(27)
Level 12: Taunt -- PrfZng-Dam%(A), PrfZng-Taunt/Rng(29)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(29)
Level 16: Whirling Hands -- SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(31), Obl-%Dam(31), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(31), ScrDrv-Dam%(33), Erd-%Dam(33)
Level 18: Bone Smasher -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(33), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), Hct-Acc/Rchg(34), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(34), Hct-Dam%(36)
Level 20: Brimstone Armor -- Ags-Psi/Status(A), ImpArm-ResPsi(36), GldArm-3defTpProc(36), GldArm-ResDam(37), GldArm-End/Res(37), GldArm-RechRes(37)
Level 22: Total Focus -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dam%(39), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), TchofDth-Dam%(40), GldStr-%Dam(40)
Level 24: Boxing -- Mk'Bit-Dam%(A), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(40)
Level 26: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), ImpArm-ResPsi(42)
Level 28: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(42), GifoftheA-Run+(42)
Level 30: Teleport -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 32: Granite Armor -- ShlWal-Def(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(43), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(43), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(43), ImpArm-ResPsi(45), GldArm-ResDam(45)
Level 35: Power Crash -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(45), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Arm-Acc/Rchg(46), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(46), Arm-Dam%(47)
Level 38: Energy Transfer -- SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(A), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(47), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(48), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(48), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(49)
Level 41: Fold Space -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 44: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 47: Crystal Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Focused Accuracy -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(13)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(15), SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(15), SynSck-EndMod(17)
Level 1: Energy Focus 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Jump-I(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon 
Level 50: Mighty Radial Final Judgement 
Level 50: Reactive Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Banished Pantheon Core Superior Ally 
Level 50: Ageless Total Radial Invocation 
Level 50: Assault Radial Embodiment 
Level 50: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 50: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 50: Portal Jockey 
------------

Screenshot 2021-10-28 082314.png

Edited by mcdoogss
  • Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, BurningDezire said:

Looking to fall asleep without concern while standing in front of LR.

My stoner tanked the fully towered up LR with no issues. My health bar barely moved. No issues with two groups of 4X8 Rularuu.  I love doing this one particular mission in the Pandora's signature arc where the aggro limits seem to be ignored and the ambushes just keep coming. Once the vengeances start stacking it gets really fun because I have to use Earth's Embrace and the Melee Hybrid incarnate power.

screenshot_200706-14-13-27.thumb.jpg.bf459e8343cc74f4e863485df5bdd9eb.jpg

Lets try and accept anything works with the current, even squishy Fire Armor. Trying to brag about how tough our current builds are falls flat with the lack of challenging content.

Page three will fix that. THEN we can brag 😄 I'll probably be sticking to the Fire/Ice but it might be the death of it as a main tank depending on how it all works out.

8 hours ago, Werner said:

If you literally want to AFK Tank, I’d say Super Reflexes built for high resistance with your mez protection on auto.

LR wrecked my SR tank (multiple two shots kills), but he was only lvl 49 at the time and the build was focused more on regen than resistance. I'll have to respec and give it a go with a resistance focused build.

18 minutes ago, dtjunkie said:

LR wrecked my SR tank (multiple two shots kills), but he was only lvl 49 at the time and the build was focused more on regen than resistance. I'll have to respec and give it a go with a resistance focused build.

I suspect the problem with SR and Lord Recluse specifically is his very high to-hit. I think he’ll be tough. But then, I haven’t fought him much and I’m not sure what it takes. Stone, apparently. He was wrecking my Shield/MA when I was trying to solo the task force. I eventually decided it was better to at least see if inspirations would work than to just quit after coming so far. And they did, but I couldn’t seem to keep the repairmen from fixing the tower as fast as I did damage. Insufficient AoE or reaction time trying to kill them, maybe. LR was level 54, though, as I recall. Can you spawn him lower? Are we talking about lower or level 54? I’ve only done that task force a few times ever and know very little. Can’t hovertank him solo, I don’t think? Can on a team, and I guess on a full team you don’t have to survive him to-hit buffed for long. 

Edited by Werner

6 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

How'd you get past Aeon? /he asks, pondering his many failures

My memory is hazy, but maybe I didn't fight him at 54, as I was only trying to figure out the task force at the time. I'm pretty sure the final mission AVs were 54, which would make sense as I'd have wanted to know if I could handle them at 54, since I'd assumed only the final mission was going to be a stumbling block. Even that mission I think I ran +4x1 instead of +4x8. Anyway, I wasn't expecting a challenge earlier, so Dr. Aeon killed me. But then I paid close attention and got him on I think the second try. Maybe third? I don't remember what I did differently other than paying attention. I'm almost certain I didn't pull out the inspirations on Dr. Aeon, only when it was inspirations or quit on Lord Recluse, and only after trying repeatedly without.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Unpossible at this time. Which is silly. Now that I've played Nrg Aura, I see no reason at all a direct port shouldn't happen.

Its basically no different than a slightly weaker SR with a Heal and a lot of END tools. 

• Thumbs Up 1