Mothership Raid expansion

TheZag

Edit: i ended up doing a trial revamp post as well.  Scroll down to my next huge post to check that out.

The mothership raid is really fun.  Nothing says welcome to earth better than boarding the alien ship and killing its defenders for 30 minutes.

But thats all there is.  Killing aliens on the roof of their ship for 30 minutes (yes there is the drop ship too).

We get to see a portion of the underside of the ship at the end of the Lady Grey Taskforce but we never get to go inside.  I know there is some alien tech just begging to get blown up in there.

My suggestion is to add a chance to assault the ship interior.  Perhaps once a certain amount of rikti are defeated or an amount of time has elapsed that a teleport to the inside becomes active.  The entrance should be away from the 'bowl' so raids can stay topside if they choose.

Im thinking that the engine room/generator,  supply room,  armory,  barracks,  and command deck could be potential targets.  The halls and rooms of the ship would be guarded by the toughest rikti.  Perhaps some terra volta revenge by taking out their generator.  Bombing several key points would open access to the command area where another GM awaits.  On defeat the GM would need to teleport away Captain Castillo style to fight another day.  Perhaps rooms could be skipped as well but the boss receives buffs for each area that wasnt hit.

Badges,  i have to suggest some but if there werent any thats fine.  I just want to blow up their stuff.  These would be league wide for credit.

Set Up Us The Bomb - bomb the genetator room X times

All Your Base - bomb all objectives in one run

Chance to Survive - the command room leader escapes on defeat X times

Make Your Time - finish the interior portion of the ship in less than X minutes

Path to Destruction - skip all objectives that remove buffs from the commander and defeat the commander

Master of Mothership Raid - complete all other badges.

Edited by TheZag
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

I am 100% in for this, especially because it gives the raid party something to *do* other than stand and spam AoEs and heals for 30 solid minutes which is so goddamn BORING. Cut the topside portion to 5 minutes and give 25 to spend inside the ship, maybe 2 Merits per badge objective completion (it isn't Incarnate stuff, after all, lowbies can still enjoy), and I'm 100% sold. 

• Like 1

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

Hmmmm...

Maybe for the instanced raid.

On Everlasting, at least, it's 30 minutes of "bring everyone," from level 1 to 50, and it's basically a giant party and social event (twice a night, every night, and this ... sunday, I think... for several hours straight.) It's relaxing, it's a bit of RP, it's a lot of joking around, it's introducing characters, etc. And for me, at least, since they kick off just as I log off of work it's a great, no worries, unwind time as well.  I kind of *like* that there's no "Go here, do this, now go over here, do this...." - if I want that, I've got hami, I've got keyes, I've got most of the itrials.

Plus it would automatically gatekeep, getting rid of the welcoming atmosphere we have for lowbies, removing an area to make introductions and the like.

So... yeah. I'd rather not see this on the zone raid, but since the instanced raid already has a level minimum, maybe there.

• Thumbs Up 5

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

9 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Hmmmm...

On Everlasting, at least, it's 30 minutes of "bring everyone," from level 1 to 50, and it's basically a giant party and social event (twice a night, every night, and this ... sunday, I think... for several hours straight.) It's relaxing, it's a bit of RP, it's a lot of joking around, it's introducing characters, etc. And for me, at least, since they kick off just as I log off of work it's a great, no worries, unwind time as well.  I kind of *like* that there's no "Go here, do this, now go over here, do this...." - if I want that, I've got hami, I've got keyes, I've got most of the itrials.

Plus it would automatically gatekeep, getting rid of the welcoming atmosphere we have for lowbies, removing an area to make introductions and the like.

So... yeah. I'd rather not see this on the zone raid, but since the instanced raid already has a level minimum, maybe there.

I haven’t participated on Excel, but on Indom it’s more of a “don’t you dare stop clicking for 30 minutes, bathroom = insta kick” event, and it’s the most tedious activity in the game.

There’s certainly none of this fun allowed you allege.

Edited by arcane
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I could get behind something like this.  In addition to the general boredom of the experience, it's kind of unfortunate that the MSR has no real "win" condition.  You just fight until "oops, out of time" with no sense of having accomplished much at the point of completion.  Giving the raid a goal would be nice, since in its current format, the closest thing to one is done by the time the main event has even really began.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Greycat said:

I didnt mention it,  but i did feel this would probably just be for the instanced version.  The zone doesnt need more stuff to lag it out even more.  Also that it would still be totally fine to ignore the interior even on an instanced run.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Lazarillo said:

I could get behind something like this.  In addition to the general boredom of the experience, it's kind of unfortunate that the MSR has no real "win" condition.  You just fight until "oops, out of time" with no sense of having accomplished much at the point of completion.  Giving the raid a goal would be nice, since in its current format, the closest thing to one is done by the time the main event has even really began.

The instanced version kind of does.  At the end, the Rikti retreat and the mothership is left smoldering.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BZRKR said:

Cool idea with cool badges!

One question, in your vision of this expansion, what happens if the bowl collapses? Does part of the league need to "hold the beachhead" or can everyone run hyena style through the ship? 

-the short answer-

My intent was for this to be an optional add-on for players.  That would mean everyone could ignore the interior or all go in with no penalty for abandoning the bowl.

-the long answer-

Would probably need to split the MSR into 'MSR Classic' and 'MSR Trial' for this answer.

If i was going with a full blown trial then there would need to be several changes to make it flow better.  It still wouldnt require leaving anyone in the bowl.  I would reduce the number of pylons or reduce their HP,  remove the timer,  and have the interior open when the GM is defeated.  Or at most 5 minutes in the bowl,  similar to 5 minutes inside Mot in the DD trial.  At that point the exterior is 'secure'. 

Each objective inside the ship would would have some sort of boss guarding it and the entire area would receive buffs depending on what hasnt been destroyed.

Armory - enemies do more damage

Barracks - steady stream of reinforcements

Supply room - players get a temp power that helps.  Perhaps psionic resist or something to use against the commander

Engine/generator - enemies take less damage until their portable shield unit loses its wireless power source.  Also the main lights would turn off and you get to battle night time glowing rikti.

The final boss would be 'The Really Hard Way' hard if you skip all the objectives and leave his buffs in place.  He would also have additional abilities that are removed if objectives are bombed.  No ammo for his ultimate attack for example.  Skipped bosses should also come to their commanders aid during the final fight.  This is the Path to Destruction badge after all.

A full change into a trial would also require some changes to the badges because i kept them in the theme of the existing badges that take 10 raids to earn. For now ill leave that alone but add these to an actual trial.

Home Warming - defeat all the sub bosses simultaneously in their respective rooms (within a few seconds of each other). 

Death Wish - Skip all objectives and defeat the commander before defeating the sub bosses that came to aid him. (They still have all buffs since no objectives were destroyed and you dont have the temp power that makes it easier)

Edit:  All these extra bosses wouldnt be part of the smaller MSR expansion.  That was just meant for a total trial revamp.  Just bombing the objectives and battling the commander are meant for the initial post i made.

Edited by TheZag
  • Like 3

Would love to see it and run it.  Successful completion triggers a Rikti invasion event?

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

13 minutes ago, Jiro Ito said:

Would love to see it and run it.  Successful completion triggers a Rikti invasion event?

The rikti do get pissed enough to invade when u blow up their portal thats under the ship.  I wouldnt say that its necessary as the current MSR doesnt trigger one but if it did you would already have a league in place to deal with it.

Plus i would first add an AV or GM to the rikti invasion after enough elite bosses are defeated and add a badge for that monster and 1 more badge.

Insult to Injury - defeat the rikti invasion GM within (however long an invasion lasts) minutes of triggering one through the MSR Trial.   Basically meaning go to the invasion that is triggered and kill the GM/AV.  Not some weird speed thing,  more of a clean up your mess thing 🙂

I've still only completed seven MSRs since I started in July of 2019. They are so boring. The action is awesome in the beginning, dropping pylons and planting bombs, but the AV/GM dude is vaporized in seconds and then you just sit there and drop a thousand Sleets, Ice Storms, and Blizzards on enemies until your eyes melt.

I still need three more completions for the badges, so anything to make this more engaging sounds good to me.

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

21 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

I've still only completed seven MSRs since I started in July of 2019. They are so boring. The action is awesome in the beginning, dropping pylons and planting bombs, but the AV/GM dude is vaporized in seconds and then you just sit there and drop a thousand Sleets, Ice Storms, and Blizzards on enemies until your eyes melt.

I still need three more completions for the badges, so anything to make this more engaging sounds good to me.

The stuff you need to do ends once U'Kon drops. Just bail after that. There's no badge reason to stick around if that's all you're trying to do.

8 hours ago, TheZag said:

Edit: i ended up doing a trial revamp post as well.  Scroll down to my next huge post to check that out.

The mothership raid is really fun.  Nothing says welcome to earth better than boarding the alien ship and killing its defenders for 30 minutes.

But thats all there is.  Killing aliens on the roof of their ship for 30 minutes (yes there is the drop ship too).

We get to see a portion of the underside of the ship at the end of the Lady Grey Taskforce but we never get to go inside.  I know there is some alien tech just begging to get blown up in there.

My suggestion is to add a chance to assault the ship interior.  Perhaps once a certain amount of rikti are defeated or an amount of time has elapsed that a teleport to the inside becomes active.  The entrance should be away from the 'bowl' so raids can stay topside if they choose.

Im thinking that the engine room/generator,  supply room,  armory,  barracks,  and command deck could be potential targets.  The halls and rooms of the ship would be guarded by the toughest rikti.  Perhaps some terra volta revenge by taking out their generator.  Bombing several key points would open access to the command area where another GM awaits.  On defeat the GM would need to teleport away Captain Castillo style to fight another day.  Perhaps rooms could be skipped as well but the boss receives buffs for each area that wasnt hit.

Badges,  i have to suggest some but if there werent any thats fine.  I just want to blow up their stuff.  These would be league wide for credit.

Set Up Us The Bomb - bomb the genetator room X times

All Your Base - bomb all objectives in one run

Chance to Survive - the command room leader escapes on defeat X times

Make Your Time - finish the interior portion of the ship in less than X minutes

Path to Destruction - skip all objectives that remove buffs from the commander and defeat the commander

Master of Mothership Raid - complete all other badges.

you mean like this?:

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, BZRKR said:

The stuff you need to do ends once U'Kon drops. Just bail after that. There's no badge reason to stick around if that's all you're trying to do.

I've done a bit of both, but yeah it's not really in my interest to stick around for the whole thing and there are usually enough players in the league that it won't adversely affect the raid. 

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

1 hour ago, Tiger Shadow said:

All of you who think an MSR is just clicking heals and AoE's need to roll a tanker/brute and come do some pulling.

So we can sit in the bowl and just click Taunt instead? 😛

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

1 hour ago, Tiger Shadow said:

All of you who think an MSR is just clicking heals and AoE's need to roll a tanker/brute and come do some pulling.

Yep.  Personally, mothership raids are my favorite thing in-game to do, but a lot of my friends find it too boring.  So they bring a Brute or Tanker and pull Rikti to the bowl while trying to outdo the other Brutes and Tankers. :classic_tongue:

Edited by Apparition