Do we have any idea how many people are streaming/posting videos about Homecoming?

Albion

I'm one of those streamers, in case you care to follow.

I sat my kids down once and asked them why they enjoyed watching other people play video games. Made no sense to me, even after they explained it. So, I turned on a 3.5 hour football game and tried to think about it. Even watched some golf after that - boring as hell, but did give me time to think about it more. Anyway, if I come up with an answer I'll let you know.

My kids tell me that what we need to do is stream doing something like Minecraft or other popular games, and maybe pick up followers from there who will see us later playing City of Heroes - that, in their opinion, might help us get more people to play CoH. There's also a "Just Talking" game select option, and maybe if we did some kind of talk show about the game we might pick up some people in the same way. Just a thought.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 7

5 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

It's very real, take a look and broaden your views. 

It would do absolutely nothing for me. A complete waste of my time. I'm sure if I had interest in it, it would have come across my radar by now. I mean, I shop for tires 18 months ago, and I still see the damn ads for them whenever I surf the web. I'm guessing the reason I had to play CoH to discover what Twitch was is because it's outside my areas of interest. I get no thrill in watching people do stuff when I could just as easily do it myself. An exception might be football, but I can't really easily do that myself. At least, not anymore. They'll get no clicks from me, nope! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Vanden said:

Is this a serious question?

It's more to illustrate the point that I have no idea why anyone would do it. It just doesn't make any sense at all. (to me)  

But, I apologize to everyone. I'm coming off as antagonistic as I read it, I think, and that's not my intent. It's more of a bewilderment. I just don't get it. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

(gets off Ukase's lawn)

• Haha 6
  • Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

On 12/9/2021 at 11:19 AM, TraumaTrain said:

Do a search for these names on Twitch; they are all streaming CoH multiple times a week. I know there are more.  These are just the people I have handy in my follow list. If you like their content and you want to support them, click that Follow button.

VividMuse

Tax_E

The_Dawl_House

bu1lets

BriggLIVE

Dythok

pixiephoenix

therealsmoof

IIIXJokerXIII

TraumaTrainRich

LobstarLive

Greblaja

Malis_Opare

the_real_x5

The_HoodedCrow

septem_semitae

TribuTelly

A special mention for ChoochAndViv. If you ever listened to the old City of Heroes Podcast back in the old live days, they have restarted it again a few weeks ago. Definitely click that Follow button on them.

(Ten points if you can figure out which one in the list above is me.)

Thanks!, that was a great help, this aspect of the HC community needs more visibility.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Σαυτὸν ἀρίθμησον πρότερον καὶ γνῶθι σεαυτόν,

καὶ τότ᾽ ἀριθμήσεις γαῖαν ἀπειρεσίην.

On 12/9/2021 at 12:57 PM, Lazarillo said:

Actually, this raises the point of whether it might be helpful to have a tag in the fashion of Helper/Help Me/Roleplaying that people can use to show themselves as actively streaming, too.

That one is hell of a good idea if it can be implemented.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Snarky said:

Lol. I missed that quote somehow

But i just posted something a couple hours ago in the Harken’s dead thread that I thought might get me censored…. (Any hint of censorship and someone will definitely need to take iver the mantle)

You can't be killed, will reform from your ashes in your crypt somewhere over the Carpathians.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ukase said:

Used to be, but I think it was this past April when HC authorized it. They never did really say why..but it's allowed now. 

It cost me three global friends, them shutting down streaming. Three of my favorite folks don't play anymore because of that. And, while they know it's now allowed, they still haven't returned. This is what happens when you change stuff. Life in the big city and all that. 

It has to do with the NCSoft talks, a gesture of good will i suppose, or a show of compliance?, 

6 hours ago, Tax E said:

Hey Albion!!!

Anyone can easily head over to Twitch and check out the category for City of Heroes and know when there is anyone streaming the game. I'll even provide a wonderful quick link! If you have a Twitch account simply follow the category for easier access. City of Heroes Category at Twitch

As TraumaTrainRich already mentioned there are more than a dozen of us that stream the game regularly. You can follow any one of us to know when we go live. 

Buy it or not. When people come to my stream and say "Wow the game is back?" or "Where can I go to download this game?", then I have accomplished what I've set out to do. As for what kind of person goes to YouTube or Twitch and searches for gaming footage or even live showing of the game, I'd think it would be obvious what kind of person they are; someone who has interest. Those are the people that keep those platforms going. The viewership.

That's okay too. Not everyone is interested in this venue of showcasing the game. That's the joy of scrolling on by but let's hope that some aren't deterred from scrolling by and are interested. Some of us showcased Page 3 when it was released just a month ago. Some of us even had donations set up for charity to coincide with the release. We were bringing in people who hadn't known the game was back and brought some people back to the game. So I know I care and it's okay that this person didn't care. 

Streaming isn't for everyone, nor is watching a stream or a video. But the fact remains there are people out there that are not aware of it's existence or even it's return. There are people that even don't know how to do certain things in the game and as streamers or content creators, we have an opportunity to help the community and show them.

Follow us or don't. Watch us or don't. The choice is yours. As is my choice to stream. 🙂

Sup Tax E! ,thanks a lot, I had no idea there was a category!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

I read somewhere that something like a billion people world wide watch gaming streams. Mostly on Twitch. So if you're trying to get more people to play your game getting people to stream it on Twitch is what you should do.

Personally I hate watching other people play video games. It's boring, I want to play the game myself, not watch someone else play it. My teenage boys, on the other hand, love it. They'll watch these videos on Twitch and YouTube in preference to movies and TV shows any day.

This is why forbidding streaming was an incredibly bad idea. And the player base has plummeted since streaming was forbidden. Sure, some people just got bored and quit, and that would have happened anyway. But some people left to join their favorite streamer on another rogue CoH server.

Forbidding streaming contributed to the loss of players, and revenue, for Homecoming. Now maybe they had to do it. Not that we'll ever know because you all know they won't tell us because of the mysterious "talks with NCSoft" BS. But if they weren't required to do it in order to remain in operation then it was an incredibly bad idea. In my completely not humble opinion.

There is absolutely no other plausible explanation for banning streaming than that of it being required for the goodwill of the ip owners to continue and avoid any issues that call unwanted attention into HC (like a certain platform content creator i will not name that was putting out videos with marvel heroes costumes and selling personal merchandise related to City of Heroes), no one in the HC team was too happy about it as videos of the server are nothing but a good thing, seems it had to be done.

Edit: Now this is kind of mean for me to say, but those that left to follow their favorite streamer, and said streamers that didnt came back, dont seem to make any considerable impact on HC playerbase if we measure it by the amount of people playing those other servers, I have been checking them and their forums and more often than not is a wasteland over there.

Edited by Albion

Wow, you guys just made my day with this post. I've been making CoH content on YouTube for a few weeks now, but I haven't mentioned it here because I thought self-promotion wasn't allowed.    

It started with a pair of videos I made for fun on my music playlists channel:  

Radiation Defender VS Nemesis  

https://youtu.be/TIowrzd5NtE

Regen Scrapper VS Extreme Endurance Drain  

https://youtu.be/nC-LmuOq7go

Unlike most of my YT vids at the time, they actually got some views, so I reactivated my gaming channel (https://youtube.com/channel/UCQfzeiQr02bZ2B73QEXZOvg) and have been busy testing out my editing skills.  

My favorite CoH vid so far is this one, where my main faces off with his arch rival in a custom mission I made for AE

I am very much a novice when it comes to making videos, and my computer can barely run the editor, but I hope to make entertaining content for awhile.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Krimson said:

Mind explaining how that works? This is the same Homecoming where players actually complain about blinking and missing the monthly donation window?

As Renata Flitworth would say, "Its the Revenoo".

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ukase said:

I keep hearing that...but I don't buy it. 
I realize my thoughts aren't necessarily typical, but what kind of person goes to YouTube and searches for video games to watch? That just seems really, really strange. Or any other site for that matter? 

*looks left and right*

giphy.gif

I do it all the time.  For CoH, I use it to check out new features, especially those with a bit of a time sink (I really wished I'd checked out the Dr. Q TF this way first!), or to get tips and tricks.  And there's the videos @Dacy puts out for base construction and to show off those wonderful base results.  For other games, it's often to evaluate whether I want to play, though in the case of a few I pick up, its to learn how to play when it proves more complex than I thought (looking at you, Empyrion 🤨 )

8 hours ago, Vanden said:

Is this a serious question?

Ah, you've been taking lessons from Snarky, I see.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Techwright said:

*looks left and right*

giphy.gif

I do it all the time.  For CoH, I use it to check out new features, especially those with a bit of a time sink (I really wished I'd checked out the Dr. Q TF this way first!), or to get tips and tricks.  And there's the videos @Dacy puts out for base construction and to show off those wonderful base results.  For other games, it's often to evaluate whether I want to play, though in the case of a few I pick up, its to learn how to play when it proves more complex than I thought (looking at you, Empyrion 🤨 )

Ah, you've been taking lessons from Snarky, I see.

Yeah @Dacy base tour videos are the paragon of player created content. I tried my hand at making a video of some content from this game and put it in my signature, but it's no where near the stuff dedicated people make to show how awesome this game is!

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

39 minutes ago, Albion said:

There is absolutely no other plausible explanation for banning streaming than that of it being required for the goodwill of the ip owners to continue and avoid any issues that call unwanted attention into HC...

I agree that there is no other plausible explanation that I can think of. Since I'm not part of the Council of Thirteen I don't have all of the facts though.

27 minutes ago, Krimson said:

Mind explaining how that works? This is the same Homecoming where players actually complain about blinking and missing the monthly donation window?

I've seen months were it took a little longer than an eye blink. And I suspect that, as time goes on, those windows will start lasting longer and longer.

Look, I'm not attacking the devs. I'm just saying that losing active players is a bad thing, regardless of the reason.

• Thumbs Up 3

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

I've heard that the "kids these days" do this too, but I watch recorded streams of "Let Us Plays" while simultaneously playing other games myself.  Generally Loading Ready Run's content, as I feel they "hit" more often than they "miss" compared to most other streamers out there in terms of conduct, humour, and content.  Although it can be frustrating to watch some of them frequently blunder around a puzzle or parcel of gameplay which looks incredibly simple to me.  BUT that's where watching the recorded videos comes in handy; I can just skip past those uncomfortable parts of the video.  (I can scarcely imagine watching them play City.  I'd probably be crawling up the wall as they try to learn how to play.)

If I'm never going to find the time to play a game for myself since I have limited time as it is, then having a stream to watch of that game gives me a general idea of the content, and how some players interacted with it.  Obviously playing it myself would give a more personalized experience, but there are simply too many games for me to play them all.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

And the player base has plummeted since streaming was forbidden. Sure, some people just got bored and quit, and that would have happened anyway. But some people left to join their favorite streamer on another rogue CoH server.

Is there any solid evidence that this was true with even a noticeable fraction of the lost layers, like  I dunno, a poll or something?  Correlation doesn't equal causation and all that.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

15 hours ago, Techwright said:

Now, sometimes, I ask a question, not really seeking an answer, but a response comes up with something that DOES make sense to me - just a perspective I hadn't thought about. 

It had never occurred to me to consider how other folks approach various in-game challenges in a video. I usually just come to the forums or just wing it. So, a player could actually stream a video of how any player might go from a level 1 new character and make their way to a billion influence in short order. I suppose some folks who prefer not to read such things might watch this, rather than read about it. 

So, yeah, I can be quite obtuse, so well done, Techwright. I now change my position on this. Now, I can see why. Thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just some thought on ways to improve exposure (My humble opinion, consider it constructive feedback and nothing more)

Streamers: "Don't put all your eggs in one basket"

1. Don't rely on just Twitch or just YouTube, etc.- Cross posting helps! Simulcasting can be expensive, so upload your Twitch streams to YouTube(and elsewhere)  afterward if that is more cost effective for you.

2. Cover the different games you play. - You might draw someone in who plays that game and then checks out what else you're playing and sees something they'd like to try out.

3. Do more than just play! aka Engage your followers/subscribers.

• Find out what builds they're interested in and dive in! (I think RektByProtoss does a very good format for this in his Grim Dawn build guides) You would probably gain followers just by starting out posting some of the more requested builds.
  • Have a regular schedule so you can let your followers know when you'll be playing and invite them to join you in-game for the stream.
  • Have give-aways! Reward your followers' patronage by tossing them a nice Enhancement or INF, or whatever. If you're in an SG, they could support you in this endeavor; though I wouldn't suggest just running with your SG for streams.

4. Use more than Discord. - You're on this forum right now. Why not use it? A pinned post in the Arts and Multimedia section could be used for a permanent, and maintained list (with links to) our various content creators. Also, host your fellow streamers when you're offline!

5. Work with eachother. - Utilize the Clubs feature here on this forum. Talk to your fellows and collaborate. Share advice, experiences, ideas, etc. to build one another up. Who better to seek advice from/bounce ideas off of than those doing what it is that you do?

City of Heroes community: Put your (figurative) money where your mouth is!

Show up and support these folks! I don't need to go into detail on this (I hope). That's really the biggest thing you can do for them. Show up :classic_smile:

Anyhoo, just my opinion but I hope it helps someone. Peace!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I feel like I'm late to the party on this one, but I'm another one of those streamers!

Ever since Homecoming lifted the streaming ban back in May, the City of Heroes streaming community has been reignited and has just kept growing.  That same passion and love we all have for the game is reflected in our little corner of Twitch.  And with each day, the variety of streamers grows too.  If you're interested in the lore and story arcs, there's VividMuse.  For organized PvP, there's Sarrcasm.  For that fire farm itch, there's the man behind the Comic Con Fire Farm, Brigg.  I know I've watched Oklahoman run iTrials.  For stalker theorycraft and gameplay, there's IIIXJokerXIII.  Both Tax_E and myself showcase a lot of badge runs, task forces, strike forces, master runs, and speed runs.  And that list just keeps on growing.

And between all the content creators and social media (Discord, Twitch, YouTube, Facebook, etc) it has empowered us to make some really fantastic events, giving back to the community we all love.

For example, on Halloween, a whole bunch of us came together for a massive Halloween event on Everlasting.  It was hosted in "The Witch's House", a haunted house created by @Dacy, funded and ran primarily from the Discord "The Dawl House" and the in-game supergroup "Federation of Xzianthia" ran by @agentx5, and I streamed it (and may of secretly gave a way a ton of superpacks to most of the participants) from https://www.twitch.tv/dythok.  We found out that we can cram 200 people into a base, and a great time was had by everyone.

And then less than a week later, Page 3 came out on Brainstorm, just in time for Extra Life (a fundraising event supporting the Children's Miracle Network Hospitals).  And I know the streamers came together that weekend to raise a bunch of money for charity.  A handful of the streamers showcasing the event were @Tax E, Vividmuse, StoneMadBob, Intangeris, and AlienMafia.

And as @Tax E posted earlier, it feels so good when someone joins chat and rediscovers City of Heroes.  All the content creators work to help make City of Heroes discoverable on so many platforms.  And give more ways for everyone to enjoy the game in general.

On a personal note, you guys make streaming worth it to me.  It feels good to give back to the community, and you guys inspire me to keep doing more.  Thanks everyone! 

Edited by Dythok
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

@Dythok - ( Conventus on Everlasting )

"I am my scars."
Proud MFing Warshade

https://www.twitch.tv/dythok

On 12/11/2021 at 4:46 AM, Clave Dark 5 said:

Is there any solid evidence that this was true with even a noticeable fraction of the lost layers, like  I dunno, a poll or something?  Correlation doesn't equal causation and all that.

My guess is a number of people simply left. I know someone who simply did that. Hell, I essentially did a 9 month break from HC at one point after my initial comeback. Page 3's numbers are showing people coming back and that might be also due to the holiday season. It will be interesting to see how long that upswing stays. Note, the increase of people playing was vastly more directly impacted by Page 3's launch than it was for having streaming coming back.

Edited by Without_Pause
  • Like 2

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

• Retired Community Rep
6 hours ago, Dythok said:

It was hosted in "The Witch's House", a haunted house created by @Dacy, funded and ran primarily from the Discord "The Dawl House" and the in-game supergroup "Federation of Xzianthia" ran by @agentx5,

Just a note here: the DawL House did provide a lot of funding and other help for that event, but they were not the primary fundraisers. 😊 Lots of people helped with that! The biggest contributor was @BlackHearted and Associates. 

I love the enthusiasm that streamers and such bring to the game! 

-Dacy 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Dacy said:

Just a note here: the DawL House did provide a lot of funding and other help for that event, but they were not the primary fundraisers. 😊 Lots of people helped with that! The biggest contributor was @BlackHearted and Associates. 

I love the enthusiasm that streamers and such bring to the game! 

-Dacy 

I think he's referring mainly to the Halloween Costume contest. That was entirely funded by folks from the DawL House and Federation of Xzianthia.  I am not sure if he was aware of who funded the trick-or-treating. So I'm sure he didn't mean to leave out any donors!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

17 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Anecdotal evidence here, but the streaming ban really put a damper on my desire to play as often as I used to. It also hurt the PvP community quite a bit because players were relegated to having to watch private, invite-only streams for PvP events and as a result there's very little PvP footage out there from the period when streaming was banned.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube