Do we have any idea how many people are streaming/posting videos about Homecoming?

Albion

Wonder if we should make a list to take a peek and support them if able, anyone has any favorite content creator or streamer to recommend?

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Σαυτὸν ἀρίθμησον πρότερον καὶ γνῶθι σεαυτόν,

καὶ τότ᾽ ἀριθμήσεις γαῖαν ἀπειρεσίην.

4 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Really just the folks who post in the #Streams & Videos section of the HC Official Discord. I mean, if you wanted, you could do a search on each atreaming platform too.

That was my intention as well, and partially into it I realized it may be more of an endeavor of what I am willing to engage into, there is more than I thought, not all exclusive however. ^_^

Σαυτὸν ἀρίθμησον πρότερον καὶ γνῶθι σεαυτόν,

καὶ τότ᾽ ἀριθμήσεις γαῖαν ἀπειρεσίην.

4 hours ago, gamingglen said:

Do we really care?  I don't.

Streamers are advertising the game and can bring in new players. So it is good for the community and Homecoming

• Thumbs Up 6

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

Do a search for these names on Twitch; they are all streaming CoH multiple times a week. I know there are more.  These are just the people I have handy in my follow list. If you like their content and you want to support them, click that Follow button.

VividMuse

Tax_E

The_Dawl_House

bu1lets

BriggLIVE

Dythok

pixiephoenix

therealsmoof

IIIXJokerXIII

TraumaTrainRich

LobstarLive

Greblaja

Malis_Opare

the_real_x5

The_HoodedCrow

septem_semitae

TribuTelly

A special mention for ChoochAndViv. If you ever listened to the old City of Heroes Podcast back in the old live days, they have restarted it again a few weeks ago. Definitely click that Follow button on them.

(Ten points if you can figure out which one in the list above is me.)

• Thanks 8
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, gamingglen said:

Meh.  Someone has to take over Snarky's role. He's been too nice lately. 😉  

Aspire to @Snarky, perhaps.  "Take over"?  No, you have an Everest to climb if that's your goal. 😛

More seriously, let me just take a sec to thank those that go out of their way to post vids on YouTube.  Their view count is not that high, but they're plugging away at it.  A good many companies block Twitch and other gaming sites, but leave YouTube open because their own company posts, or they use videos from YouTube for training, etc.  In my case, this lets me watch videos on a 24" screen during my lunch hour, rather than a small smartphone.  I watched someone run the new Aeon SF this way, just to acquaint myself with it before I ran it.

• Thumbs Up 5

On 12/9/2021 at 3:52 AM, Peacemoon said:

Streamers are advertising the game and can bring in new players. So it is good for the community and Homecoming

I keep hearing that...but I don't buy it. 
I realize my thoughts aren't necessarily typical, but what kind of person goes to YouTube and searches for video games to watch? That just seems really, really strange. Or any other site for that matter? 

Is it a case of, "gee, getting tired of this game. If only I could see what XYZ game is like." ? The answer doesn't really matter, of course. I guess someone is looking at that stuff. I just can't imagine why. The game is free, easy to download and set up. 

9 hours ago, wjrasmussen said:

I  thought streaming was against the rules..

Used to be, but I think it was this past April when HC authorized it. They never did really say why..but it's allowed now. 

It cost me three global friends, them shutting down streaming. Three of my favorite folks don't play anymore because of that. And, while they know it's now allowed, they still haven't returned. This is what happens when you change stuff. Life in the big city and all that. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Ukase said:

I realize my thoughts aren't necessarily typical, but what kind of person goes to YouTube and searches for video games to watch?

Is this a serious question?

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Ukase said:

I realize my thoughts aren't necessarily typical, but what kind of person goes to YouTube and searches for video games to watch? That just seems really, really strange. Or any other site for that matter? 

Is it a case of, "gee, getting tired of this game. If only I could see what XYZ game is like." ? The answer doesn't really matter, of course. I guess someone is looking at that stuff. I just can't imagine why. The game is free, easy to download and set up. 

You'll be surprised to hear that there are people who have millions of followers on their Youtube channel and make enough coin to where that is their full-time job. Back when I played Path of Exile, I watched videos of it all the time. Someone who does a channel covering how to do builds in CoH would have a following.

• Thumbs Up 3

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

That clearly doesn't sound like something that would "bring in new players" that would "search for video games" though for quite a few reasons...

However it doesn't really have to. Clearly most of people that end up on HC do so because they played on live and weren't aware yet they can play again. General coverage is all it takes for someone that hasn't to stumble on it by accident! If you ask players around in game, a lot end up today on HC literally that way, because they didn't know and stumbled on a video or article.

Another factor is just overall community involvement : to put it plainly, you're more inclined to keep bothering playing the game knowing it lives in some fashion and you can go to the forums to rant about things. I'd imagine video coverage on mainstream platforms works in a similar way, if perhaps a bit more indirectly!

But bottom line is, it's clearly still bound to have an impact.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ukase said:

There are streaming services online dedicated to people playing video games. Some of these steamers garner more views than the Superbowl in a given year. They make millions in sponsorship and ad revenue, in addition to their subscribers support and donations. 

It's very real, take a look and broaden your views. 

• Haha 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

On 12/8/2021 at 4:42 AM, Albion said:

Wonder if we should make a list to take a peek and support them if able, anyone has any favorite content creator or streamer to recommend?

Hey Albion!!!

Anyone can easily head over to Twitch and check out the category for City of Heroes and know when there is anyone streaming the game. I'll even provide a wonderful quick link! If you have a Twitch account simply follow the category for easier access. City of Heroes Category at Twitch

As TraumaTrainRich already mentioned there are more than a dozen of us that stream the game regularly. You can follow any one of us to know when we go live. 

Streamers are advertising the game and can bring in new players. So it is good for the community and Homecoming.

Buy it or not. When people come to my stream and say "Wow the game is back?" or "Where can I go to download this game?", then I have accomplished what I've set out to do. As for what kind of person goes to YouTube or Twitch and searches for gaming footage or even live showing of the game, I'd think it would be obvious what kind of person they are; someone who has interest. Those are the people that keep those platforms going. The viewership.

Do we really care?  I don't.

That's okay too. Not everyone is interested in this venue of showcasing the game. That's the joy of scrolling on by but let's hope that some aren't deterred from scrolling by and are interested. Some of us showcased Page 3 when it was released just a month ago. Some of us even had donations set up for charity to coincide with the release. We were bringing in people who hadn't known the game was back and brought some people back to the game. So I know I care and it's okay that this person didn't care. 

Streaming isn't for everyone, nor is watching a stream or a video. But the fact remains there are people out there that are not aware of it's existence or even it's return. There are people that even don't know how to do certain things in the game and as streamers or content creators, we have an opportunity to help the community and show them.

Follow us or don't. Watch us or don't. The choice is yours. As is my choice to stream. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Thumbs Up 2

@Tax E
** THE UNITED POWERS OF PARAGON **

1 hour ago, Tax E said:

Buy it or not. When people come to my stream and say "Wow the game is back?" or "Where can I go to download this game?", then I have accomplished what I've set out to do. As for what kind of person goes to YouTube or Twitch and searches for gaming footage or even live showing of the game, I'd think it would be obvious what kind of person they are; someone who has interest. Those are the people that keep those platforms going. The viewership.

It's fun to get asked "What's your build" too.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Anyone who has a teenager should know that lots of young people watch gaming streams.  I used to observe, baffled, when my son would stare at a video of someone playing a game for literally hours at a time.  He couldn't get enough of that stuff. 

Did I get the appeal of it?  No.  I still don't- but that is besides the point.  People definitely DO watch game streams with great enthusiasm.

• Thumbs Up 4

I read somewhere that something like a billion people world wide watch gaming streams. Mostly on Twitch. So if you're trying to get more people to play your game getting people to stream it on Twitch is what you should do.

Personally I hate watching other people play video games. It's boring, I want to play the game myself, not watch someone else play it. My teenage boys, on the other hand, love it. They'll watch these videos on Twitch and YouTube in preference to movies and TV shows any day.

This is why forbidding streaming was an incredibly bad idea. And the player base has plummeted since streaming was forbidden. Sure, some people just got bored and quit, and that would have happened anyway. But some people left to join their favorite streamer on another rogue CoH server.

Forbidding streaming contributed to the loss of players, and revenue, for Homecoming. Now maybe they had to do it. Not that we'll ever know because you all know they won't tell us because of the mysterious "talks with NCSoft" BS. But if they weren't required to do it in order to remain in operation then it was an incredibly bad idea. In my completely not humble opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.