Problem entering AE and living to tell the tale

Diantane

I'm a level 7 Spines/Fire Brute with SO's. I buff up my fire resistance to cap, def to 130% (desperate). Go in Story of a Real Big Dog @ -1x8, bosses off (foes are level 6). I'm dead in seconds. Is there a bug or something I'm not aware of?

Edit: Lowered dif to -1x4 (capped defenses - dead in seconds)

Edited by Diantane
  • Haha 1

sooo AE can be programmed odd.  I see you say bosses off. -1/x8   So you should be facing an army of LTs and minions at level 6?  Are you?  Is the farm you are on really pure Fire Damage?  With Fire Resistance that high and Defenses that high something else is going on.  Either that AE mission is level coded odd, or has non fire attacks etc....  Try a Fire Tunnel like 19823.  Good Luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

I went to a Comic Con Fire map with a level 24 burn tanker. His fire resistance was capped (little def). He could stay in there all day long. Brought the Level 7 Spines/Fire brute in the same place with fire res capped with inspirations. Dead in seconds. My thinking is my 24 tank has a higher health pool. He can take some hits and keep going. The level 7 takes a hit or two and that's all the health buffer he had. Ya think?

Update/ Brute's Health is 230

Tank's Health is 1,181

Edited by Diantane
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, you're a level 7 brute. At this level, you don't have Quills, one of your AoE damage toggles. You don't have burn. The only AoE damage you have at this point is blazing aura. 

You might have lunge & barb, and perhaps Spine Burst and Healing Flames. And that's if you had neglected to take a travel power. There are AE maps that you can handle, but you'll not be wanting to tackle AoE-centric maps when you only have one AoE attack aside of a passive damage aura. 

SOs at level 7 are great, but you don't have enough slots to really do much of note. 

So, now you leave me wanting to make a spines/fire, get to level 7, use SOs and see what this map is like (as I've no idea). 
But my gut says, farming as a level 7 can be done, but it has to be the right map. 
No idea which it is, but there's one with just ONE elite boss per group to tackle, and it worked pretty well for my low level character. Try a search for low level farming. Generally, when you interact with the kiosk, in the mission description there will be information about what to expect, as well as what stats would be required. 

• Like 2

So. because I wanted to really see if I could give some feedback that would be more helpful, I've made a spines/fire brute, specifically to see how mine might fare, with just SOs. I haven't spent the usual inf on the temps that I might normally do (Teleports, plasmatic tasers, haven't even gone to p2w for sands of mu, which I may regret)

Here's what I have slotted: 
image.thumb.png.65fc2adebe6e61dc3c1a67f59e458017.png

Here are my combat stats (the ones I'm monitoring, anyway)
image.png.35147f365e85fb679373120a36d38a62.png

So, level 7, with SOs. I wouldn't ordinarily get Temperature Protection on a fire brute or fire tank - unless I'm using it for a set mule, it's going to give more fire resistance than I would need. But, in the early levels, it can be worth getting. But it's not available to choose on a brute prior to level 7. 

So, with 2 SOs in Fire armor, 32.72% is all the resistance I have. 

• Thumbs Up 2

And got waxed, quickly, even with what I would consider wise use of inspirations (the lowly 1st tier insps from the vendor, as shown.) 

So, now that I've been through this, this is all my brute could do before defeat - with that map, those settings. 

image.png.71e3557e8d8267b1b344484a6414b201.png

So, to be as helpful as I can be, there is no bug that you're not aware of. 
But, there is something I remembered that you may not be aware of. In your first post, @Diantane, you mentioned buffing up your defense to 130%. 
You can take all the purples you want outside of AE, once you enter the map, even if there are still 50 seconds left, the buffs from inspirations are immediately removed. So, if that's how you got your buffs, they disappeared immediately. 

I will re-try with the purples within the map, and see how it goes. 

I was successful in clearing the map at -1/4, without being defeated, but it had a lot to do with the rng on inspiration drops. 
image.png.82be1ae163fb8ef56600a38ac4814540.png

Without the use of the inspiration macros, it would have ended quite quickly. Even with them, there were a couple of instances where the inspirations wore off, and I didn't have any more purples to use, but with a robust (orange) and getting a timely health insp drop, I had just enough to get a couple more kills and a couple more insp drops. 

So, it can be done, but if you do what I think you did - gobble the insps before you entered, none of those purples did you any good. 
If you took them upon entry, monitor your fire resistance and your melee defense. (monitor fire defense at level 50) but for this purpose, take 4 purples immediately upon entry, with 4 in reserve. 
As new insps drop, like heals, damage, rugged, you can use those as the defense buffs drop. They drop quickly if you took them quickly. Wait a couple seconds between each one, so you have more reaction time to move around and combine insps.

If you can afford it, it's quite worth it to buy the p2w Return to battle, just for the insp buffs when you use it. They'll likely carry you through to getting a full insp tray to get you through a few more groups. If you can start off with supers, or even large insps, they will do you even better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

That's amazing what you did and I appreciate it. So all of my inspirations were dead when I entered. That makes sense. What are the inspiration macros doing for you? My screen definitely didn't look like yours. Since you are absolutely more experienced with this than someone that just got on the truck (me), I think I will level the brute the old fashioned way (arcs and teams) and when he had trained plasma shield, temperature protection, healing flames and quills (level 20), he will be capped in fire resistance (inspirations will be  bonus) and I shall try again. I just hope he does more damage than my burn tanker (fire/ice) did (laughable). 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Was gonna say it was probably the insps-off-at mission entrance thing. I always forget that myself. 

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

15 minutes ago, Albion said:

One can only hope the humbling weight of reality improves their character.

Some of us are just tired of the BS.

I did the inspir before entering mistake as well, but it was a quick lesson, and I moved on. I also know enough to know how meaningless 130% def is in this game. Could have saved those inspirs when they saw how they weren't there after entering. Also, not sure if it was used because Ukase nor the OP mentioned it, but 2x XP booster is a factor here since you can level so much the leveling inspirs can carry you though those early levels. Again, I have gone from 1-50 solo farming a Spines/fire Brute and didn't slot anything until 22. I mean, MAYBE at 15 for common IOs, but certainly not at 7.

EDIT: I didn't use marcos either.

Edited by Without_Pause
  • Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Level 7 is a bit early to be going in at +1x8, Dian. But I'm not a farmer. That said I do solo Posi 1 at level 8-10 at +0x6 or x8, but it heavily depends on the AT and combo while also cramming with IOs.

At those early levels common sense dictates you want it fast in and fast out since you have a tiny inspiration tray which you will be spamming to survive. Consider leveling in the Tunnel Witches map until you're 15 and then swap over. Consider also Radiation Melee instead of Spines. Spines is a tad obsolete where a Rad/Fire boasts of three PbAoEs while also getting some heals from Radiation Siphon. Irradiated Ground is a truck compared to Quills.

5 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Level 7 is a bit early to be going in at +1x8, Dian.

They were at -1.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

As I said up top I was going to get up to 20+ which would get me 90 cap fire resistance and quills, healing flames, etc. Played on a couple teams and got to 24 after a few hours. Tried farming again and it was like night and day.  Cleared the map at +0x8 (brought me up to 26). Will raise it to +1x8 for next time and will keep raising it when I can.

Something I don't understand. My health was going up and down just a little. It couldn't be the tiny regen I get from one slotted health is it?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Diantane said:

As I said up top I was going to get up to 20+ which would get me 90 cap fire resistance and quills, healing flames, etc. Played on a couple teams and got to 24 after a few hours. Tried farming again and it was like night and day.  Cleared the map at +0x8 (brought me up to 26). Will raise it to +1x8 for next time and will keep raising it when I can.

Something I don't understand. My health was going up and down just a little. It couldn't be the tiny regen I get from one slotted health is it?

Maybe.  Keep in mind that tiny bit of regen is in addition to your base regen.  You'll gain hit points even without Health.

1 hour ago, Glacier Peak said:

Oldie but a goodie:

I believe this is the one I used. It has been some time ago. I hardly play my farmer these days. Ultimately it was an interesting experiment, but the boredom takes over, and I can earn far far more via the Market in terms of currency over time. I even stopped using it to PL my own guys. Honestly, this is an odd experiment for someone whos say they retire a build after hitting 40.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1 hour ago, Diantane said:

Sure.  Base regeneration in this game will take you from 1 HP to your maximum in 4 minutes.

That's without counting the Health power at all, since Health was originally not an inherent power.  So you're getting the benefit of Health, plus the enhancement in it.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Ha, yeah. When I was making my farmer I leveled (mostly) through doing the farms as I leveled up to gain tickets and stuff and I spent a LOT of time dead, even at the lower settings. The more powers you pick up, the easier it'll go. By the time I was in my thirties I was going through at a pretty good clip!

I am @Chrono-Bot! SGs: Girls Gone Rogue Isles, The Helping Hands, The Orange Bagels, Paragon's Perfectly Normal Heroes. Server: Everlasting! See my characters, now with photos, below!

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/33049-chrono-bots-characters/

I'm not NOT here to make friends.

The level 1 fire farm map is probably a better choice until someone gets a couple more powers. (Ive done this and it works clear into the 20s)

The low level auto buffs make a difference and more exp is earned the longer we stay upright.  

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Well I wasn't farming to make money. Just a different way of leveling. You are right about the boredom though. Don't think it will last.

One problem with making it on the market. If you win, someone else loses. They influence you gain comes from somewhere (somebody).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, arcane said:

Now imagine how far along you’d be if this wasn’t the first time you’d ever read a reply!

They've read replies. They just don't reply to when people call them trolls or ultimately call them out when something genuinely don't make sense, ie their Beats/cold can't solo at +0/x1 even with poor slotting and someone does it with no slotting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

39 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

They've read replies. They just don't reply to when people call them trolls or ultimately call them out when something genuinely don't make sense, ie their Beats/cold can't solo at +0/x1 even with poor slotting and someone does it with no slotting.

You haven’t been with us the entirety of the Diantane saga, obviously 🙂

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Diantane said:

Well I wasn't farming to make money. Just a different way of leveling. You are right about the boredom though. Don't think it will last.

One problem with making it on the market. If you win, someone else loses. They influence you gain comes from somewhere (somebody).

Nobody loses in the market, unless they added an extra digit by mistake. 
One player puts something in the AH, eventually another chooses to buy it. Win/win. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, arcane said:

You haven’t been with us the entirety of the Diantane saga, obviously 🙂

Tough to miss posts which don't exists.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.