Looking for information about the hardest bosses in the game's history.

FrogTheToad

Beside the obvious GM's it might be Lord Recluse in the LRSF buffed by his towers, before Incarnate he was a tough cookie even for tanks with support, until ppl found tricks ^^.

The old Forum which some ppl are compiling could be a source of Info.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server

2 hours ago, SuggestorK said:

Lord Recluse in the LRSF

I know it isn't what you meant, but Lord Recluse does not send you on a strike force to eventually put himself down.

I don't believe much compared to the original lord recluse strike force though, including fighting the uber buffed lord recluse in states man's task force. 

The intensity around the last mission of the LRSF was going up against the entire freedom phalanx together and as one. Telling your team member to go die when they entered the mission so that you could recall them into 7 queued up vengeance buffs was standard practice for a smooth LRSF pre-IOs and incarnates in addition to having everyone take time to pick up Shivans in bloody bay and sometimes grabbing the Warburg nukes. Contrary to the standard practice today of "forming LRSF lf7m bring anything, including your level 45 character" early LRSFs often cherry picked team compositions more than any other task in the game, and groups of players that ran it together frequently and regularly often looked for the infamous 1 granite armor brute and 7 corruptors team comp, where you also wanted some specificity in corruptor support sets, typically at least 1 kin, 1 thermal, 1-3 rads, or up to 5 cold domination corruptors.

There were also some snazzy people that were quite good at making a successful pull and separating the freedom phalanx, which was typically how the patrons were handled in the statesman tf. However a bad pull in the STF fighting the patrons was salvageable, an unsuccessful pull in the LRSF could turn in to an absolute mess and a very time consuming debt inducing one at that.

The strategies employed to complete the old LRSF are not seen in practice today and if you ever tried to recruit for any of today's current content asking for specific powersets people will typically frown at you with disgust. 

Completing the LRSF for the first time on live was extremely satisfying and a huge achievement. The same can not be said of any new content today, the general standard of challenge is not the same or desired.

Edited by DreadShinobi
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Currently on fire.

Cathedral of Pain was very difficult when your RNG rolled the hurricane boss. If you didn't have enough -regen in your entourage you were in for a very hard time. Also certain abundances of characters vulnerable to hurricane debuff could spell doom for your chances of succeeding. 

• Like 1

Currently on fire.

11 minutes ago, DreadShinobi said:

I know it isn't what you meant, but Lord Recluse does not send you on a strike force to eventually put himself down.

yep my bad i meant of course Lord recluse in Statesman TF which got replaced By MLTF, got mixed em up 🙂  .

• Like 2

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server

Madame of Mystery from Madeleine Casey's arc is rough unless you can debuff her. She's got high resists to just about everything and the temp power you get to fight her isn't that great.

Some (all?) archvillains can push their resistance to 100%. It's not quite as important nowadays with level shifts and Lore pets, but fighting Reichsman and his million hp without resistance and/or regeneration debuffs can become a marathon.

Of course there's RHW Tyrant.

• Like 2

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

3 hours ago, DreadShinobi said:

Completing the LRSF for the first time on live was extremely satisfying and a huge achievement. The same can not be said of any new content today, the general standard of challenge is not the same or desired.

*CoughcoughcoughRelentlessAeoncoughcough*

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

Just now, Chronicler J said:

Great Astral farm. I skip trials now because of it. 

What are you up to these days, inches-wise? Did I miss an announcement thread somewhere?

To OP, most things that were considered difficult are now not, for various reasons. New challenges have been added and will eventually become not challenging, and so on and so on ad infinitum. We all eagerly await the next one. 

For me, on live, OG Hami was a serious pus-blistering bag of dogshit. 

• Like 1

Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

Nosferatu even in EB form kicked my EM/ea Scrappers tail. I think I was 31 so having ET would have helped, but yeah, that was a humbling fight.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Back at the beginning of the game up to about Issue 5 any Archvillain and some Bosses could be a challenge if you didn't have debuffs and healing.  When City of Villains launched they retuned most of the upper end NPCs so that you didn't have to bring along anything special to defeat them.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Hoping to use this a jumping off point of information to make a video of the hardest bosses in the game's history. I still need to learn video editing but I want to make COH Youtube content since we need more of that honestly. 

Edited by FrogTheToad

2 minutes ago, FrogTheToad said:

Thanks guys. Hoping to use this a jumping off point of information to make video of the hardest bosses in the game's history. I still need to learn video editing but I want to make COH Youtube content since we new more of that honestly. 

I've said elsewhere. but doing guides for trials/TFs, SFs, etc would be great. Speed runs are far too numerous and can leave a bad taste in player's mouths. Seeing a genuine break down of what needs to be done, trouble spots, etc would be welcomed. Any talk of how to do builds would be great. Just thought of how finding a way to talk to other players about their builds could be fascinating. 

• Like 2

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

2 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

I've said elsewhere. but doing guides for trials/TFs, SFs, etc would be great. Speed runs are far too numerous and can leave a bad taste in player's mouths. Seeing a genuine break down of what needs to be done, trouble spots, etc would be welcomed. Any talk of how to do builds would be great. Just thought of how finding a way to talk to other players about their builds could be fascinating. 

I was thinking more of content in the style of Hirumadrex and SunlightBlade, because while I wouldn't mind doing content like that I'm too much of a shitter at the game to be honest. No one should be taking any sort of advice from me.

I volunteer for your podcast

Siege. The big robot Siege you run into from Maria as a separate mission from her normal arc. One little area, buncha new clockwork and glowies to click.

That bastard was the ONLY AV my, at the time, up and coming shield/nrg tank couldn't solo. Couple of the others required ultimate insps but even those proved useless against Siege's big heal. I don't even remember how long I wailed away on him before finally calling in some sg-mates to help finish him off.

And of course, Aeon in the MLTF. He's been the stopping point for every solo attempt I've made.

• Like 1

Old Hamidon was pretty rough.  Prior to i8 the mitos had a chance to divide every time you fought one which made clearing them out a problem.  Then you had to basically spam holds on the core to prevent it from using a move that spawned a yellow mito on top of everyone in the zone (it could do this at 50%, 25% and 10%, similar to it respawning all of its mitos now).  The volume and positioning of the yellow mito spawns were enough to cause the whole thing to fail if it happened and Hami could pretty easily break out of the holds.  This was also long before incarnates and even inventions so everyone there was pretty average by today's standards.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

I'm probably coloring my experiences here, as I tend to fight these two without enhancements slotted as I run into them pretty early, but Barracuda and Silver Mantis, even as EBs, can be really nasty in the lower levels. Barracuda just does a ton of damage and Silver Mantis does a bunch of damage while sporting MoG and enough defense debuffs that popping purples sometimes feels entirely pointless.

• Like 2

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

19 hours ago, Luminara said:

That Jake Emmit AV seemed to be a real pain in the ass.  I don't think any players managed to defeat that one, and it was eventually removed from the game.

I legit  thought that was real boss  and was wondering why I couldn't find it. Once again, why above message stands.

Edited by FrogTheToad
  • Haha 2

Penelope Yin

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

On 12/31/2021 at 11:39 AM, Bill Z Bubba said:

Siege. The big robot Siege you run into from Maria as a separate mission from her normal arc. One little area, buncha new clockwork and glowies to click.

That bastard was the ONLY AV my, at the time, up and coming shield/nrg tank couldn't solo. Couple of the others required ultimate insps but even those proved useless against Siege's big heal. I don't even remember how long I wailed away on him before finally calling in some sg-mates to help finish him off.

And of course, Aeon in the MLTF. He's been the stopping point for every solo attempt I've made.

Heh, yeah, Siege can be a real PIA for tanks.  I can tank him no problem, it's doing enough damage to take him down that's the issue.  We just stand there and beat on each other for a couple hours, with nobody going down for the count.  I finally just have to say, "Look man, let's call it a draw.  We both got stuff to do."  😂

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Recluse's Victory, Ghost Widow.

When RV was opened, there was a large group on Union who descended upon it looking for badges (thank you Sal for gathering so many lunatics in one channel...).

The problem is, that GW in there had not only the usual high level AV regen, resistance, debuff resistance and all the usual stuff that made AV's a PITA to take down back then, she also has Dark Regeneration and Life Drain...  AoE's that heal her *per target hit*...

When she's being mobbed by several teams of badge monkeys?

There was no way to defeat her.

I'm not sure if there was also the PvP zone inflicted nerf to player powers in effect also, since PvP has never been an interest of mine.

But she'd take maybe 20% damage, then pop back up to full health.  I don't recall if she was ever actually taken down that evening or not.

23 minutes ago, Li_Sensei said:

Recluse's Victory, Ghost Widow.

When RV was opened, there was a large group on Union who descended upon it looking for badges (thank you Sal for gathering so many lunatics in one channel...).

The problem is, that GW in there had not only the usual high level AV regen, resistance, debuff resistance and all the usual stuff that made AV's a PITA to take down back then, she also has Dark Regeneration and Life Drain...  AoE's that heal her *per target hit*...

When she's being mobbed by several teams of badge monkeys?

There was no way to defeat her.

I'm not sure if there was also the PvP zone inflicted nerf to player powers in effect also, since PvP has never been an interest of mine.

But she'd take maybe 20% damage, then pop back up to full health.  I don't recall if she was ever actually taken down that evening or not.

And her Mag 200 hold lol

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png