What Set Bonus Tool Do you Use?

BlackSpectre

16 hours ago, arcane said:

PC privilege detected 😉

If you arents calculating everything manually in a spreadsheet, you arents trying!

How is it PC privilege? It's the people with money runnin on apple products.

There is the *nix crowd I suppose. Buying empty metal and loadin up free OSs.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

How is it PC privilege? It's the people with money to burn gimping around on apple products.

There is the *nix crowd I suppose. Buying empty metal and loadin up free OSs.

Fixed that for you.

😉

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

8 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

So if we axe you, you'll lay there, stink a little, then rezz and pester us with your excel sheets again?

😉

I can't be killed, and secondly I've never shared any of my own Excel sheets (I may have shared the link to the ppm proc calculator made by someone else on Google drive, but you've never been graced by my pivot tables).

I finally went thru and redid my original char from live that while it was one of the first  redone for HC, was only running around with generic IOs.

Super Vixen originally from Justice a fire/fire/fire blaster morphed into a fire/time/mace blaster.  (before the kitting out, fire/time/fire)

Figured out that I wanted mainly to have decent recharge, damage, and highish defense.

Mids decided not to play nice and I'm still figuring it out anyway, so went to just using the hcwiki and trying out a few things on Beta.  I'm 99% certain I could improve it, but I'm pretty happy with the result.  I'm back to being able to pull large groups with Rain of Fire and blowing stuff up.   Though I kinda miss having Rise of the Phoenix in the attack chain.

Oh, and I run all my stuff on Linux, though I'm going to have to get a new comp this year. My main is acting up, and I need the graphics power to run photo editing.

On 1/11/2022 at 9:29 AM, arcane said:

PC privilege detected 😉

If you arents calculating everything manually in a spreadsheet, you arents trying!

Hey @arcane I use Mids on my Mac with no issues via Wine. Have you tried that? And I'm not savvy about that kind of thing at all. 

1 hour ago, John Wonder said:

Hey @arcane I use Mids on my Mac with no issues via Wine. Have you tried that? And I'm not savvy about that kind of thing at all. 

That thread’s instructions have never worked for me. Neither have most Wine things. But I guess I could give it the annual try.

Here's a neat tip, if you have a toon built using whatever method you choose and you want to get it into a program like Mids in order to better visualize it and fix any problems with it because you didn't use it initially, you can login to the game, load up the character and then run /buildsave.  That'll create aa build.txt file that you can then import into mids.

You'll find the file created by /buildsave under \COH\homecoming\accounts\<name>\builds\

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, fitzsimmons said:

Here's a neat tip, if you have a toon built using whatever method you choose and you want to get it into a program like Mids in order to better visualize it and fix any problems with it because you didn't use it initially, you can login to the game, load up the character and then run /buildsave.  That'll create aa build.txt file that you can then import into mids.

You'll find the file created by /buildsave under \COH\homecoming\accounts\<name>\builds\

It's not so much an import, you have to open the buil.txt from the Mids File... Open menu; but, you don't have to change the file type, just navigate to the Builds folder and pop it open.  Is nice!

Those of you who continue to profess a belief in the Users will receive the standard, substandard training which will result in your eventual elimination.
That will be all.

On 1/10/2022 at 4:18 PM, Nemu said:

If you are using a Mac I can understand that approach (unless you have the ability/tools to fire up a windows virtual machine), but for PC users there is the Mids Reborn app. There is a whole subforum dedicated to it

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/forum/74-forum/

The download site is here:

https://midsreborn.com/

There are instructions on how to use Wine to run Mids on a Mac. It works, but is memory intensive and sluggish… at least on my Mac. 

• 2 weeks later
On 1/11/2022 at 4:29 PM, arcane said:

PC privilege detected 😉

You can use Mids on Mac, I have it set up on mine. This is the guide video I used 

EDIT: I finished reading the thread and saw a few other people already suggested using it on Mac, derp.

I also feel I should also admit it's much more complicated to get it set up on Mac, and YMMV on it actually working. Mine worked perfectly following my linked video but it took forever, I left one part of the install running overnight because it took so long. 

Edited by flinlock
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later
On 1/12/2022 at 7:15 AM, lemming said:

so went to just using the hcwiki and trying out a few things on Beta. 

Wow! You ain't kidding! I finally discovered that HC Wiki page you mentioned, and you are absolutely right! It's awesome! If I had known there was something like this wiki page, I probably wouldn't have made my enhancement set bonus spreadsheets. I love how it's sortable by any column, and almost any piece of information you might need to make a good decision is right there! Great page! 

Set Bonus Comparison Tables

Thanks for calling it to my attention. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/11/2022 at 7:19 AM, TheZag said:

If you arents mids-ing, you arents trying.

Several good options that people use in the previous posts.  Use what you like.  I prefer mids.

Edit : guess i need to try harder to convey sarcasm through text next time.  Back to the drawing board.

Hey, Snarky!  Can you provide some private lessons here?

I think we all do this differently.  Back on live, I would study other builds and then use mids, spending hours tweaking this and that for my main, but I would just flop sets into random powers for all other toons based on what was happening (or not) .  Most of them, obviously, needed recovery at low levels, so I'd find sets (or procs/etc.) that let me get a recovery bonus with the minimal investment (say at two, or three from a set).  This went on the whole time live was up and running, though I think I might have loaded my plant troll in mids now that I think about it.  I was (and still am) kind of focused on one build, one main, so all the others just get whatever I slapped in to help with this or that weakness.

Then after COH/V went dark and Homecoming emerged from the darkness to brighten my world once more, I rebuilt my main, and this time, I didn't use mids (it wasn't really ready at first anyway); I went from memory and then had to make adjustments for new powers and sets.  In the end it was trial and error (and a ton of respecs) to get the exact build I love (though I am thinking about some possible changes, thank goodness for unslotters !).

I don't spreadsheet (it hurts my brain), but I do jot stuff down on this old-fashioned thing called paper, using an antique writing device called a pen.  In this way I note what set bonuses go with which sets and in which powers I can place them.  This archaic method also helps me with respecs since I can never remember how many slots I need for what or why. 

I have never followed another person's build exactly, but I did get ideas from them back on live.  I've found that powers I love are not always beloved by everyone who runs whatever AT, and I don't care.  I run what works best for me and my play style, which gets tricky because my main is my badger, as well, so she is built to both solo and team, which makes slotting and setting her tricky.  And so fun!