What comic book character can you NOT create?

Oklahoman

On 3/3/2022 at 7:38 AM, Ukase said:

For one, that requires time spent in the costume creator (yawn) determining which choices to make.

I already spend hours in the costume creator tweaking until everything looks exactly right, or close enough to it. Sometimes I even scrap the whole thing after those hours and start over again because my idea just isn't tenable.

You say "yawn" but I fail to see a problem here.

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

On 3/2/2022 at 2:26 PM, Zhym said:
  • Frozone would probably be an ice blaster, but here again, you've got things like using the ice blast as a travel power (creating a snow pile and sliding down it, for example).  

That's what Prestige Power Slide is for, just recolor it.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Screenshot_20220306-110758.png

Edited by Nemeroff
Flying Fish. Ranged (Cone) You can call forth a school of harmless flying fish that will eject from the water to confuse and impress your foes. Flying Fish cannot breath once out of the water.

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

18 hours ago, ForeverLaxx said:

I already spend hours in the costume creator tweaking until everything looks exactly right, or close enough to it. Sometimes I even scrap the whole thing after those hours and start over again because my idea just isn't tenable.

You say "yawn" but I fail to see a problem here.

I'm glad you enjoy the CC. I wish I found it more satisfying. 
My point was that we're not allowed to copy copyrighted characters. So why try to see how close you can get? That's all I'm saying. Just seems like a waste of time, and potentially - depending on how close you got - against the rules. 

43 minutes ago, Ukase said:

My point was that we're not allowed to copy copyrighted characters. So why try to see how close you can get?

Interesting, that's not how I read the spirit of the thread.  Of course, I don't understand the impulse of trying to directly copy something given the plethora of ways we can adapt an inspiration into something of our own.  I also don't understand the impulse to "Price is Right" the rules on copyrighted characters either.  (aka, as close as one can without "technically" breaking the letter of the rule while clearly attempting to flip a bird to the spirit of the rule)

Let's take my entry as an example: Legion.

And well, technically, one could emulate a "super" who's powers are tied to DID or something similar (or whatever the current parlance for identity disorders happens to be) to really do it correctly would require access to GM/Developer commands for the Reality Manip aspects of the power-set.  Even if I thought I could get close I'd still go a completely different direction in terms of look and head-canon because I don't want a copy.

Personally, I never ask myself if I can make a Specific Character, but I definitely take inspiration from time to time and go from there.  I wanted something that played like a Firebender, and after discovering that there are actually ways to get get close in terms of powers I made a toon that looks nothing like one, has his own (unwritten) backstory with no connection to the show, its characters, or the world in which it took place.  The only similarities are throwing fire and kicking faces, which is really the only similarity I wanted in the first place.

I know that's not the sort of thing you're talking about, but I do think that was the spirit in which the question was posed by the OP.  It was certainly the spirit of my reply.

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

3 hours ago, Ukase said:

My point was that we're not allowed to copy copyrighted characters. So why try to see how close you can get?

Which isn't what the thread is about, so I don't know why you felt like stomping in here with your righteous indignation about rules with a snide aside about how lame it is to be in the costume creator for a long time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

6 hours ago, ForeverLaxx said:

Which isn't what the thread is about, so I don't know why you felt like stomping in here with your righteous indignation about rules with a snide aside about how lame it is to be in the costume creator for a long time.

It isn't? 
Then I'm not at all clear what it is about. The shortcomings of the costume creator? As I said, glad you enjoy the CC. To me, despite it's numerous, probably billions of options, I lack the patience and the inclination to see how close I can get to a comic book character. To what end? Just to see? And then not be allowed to make it? 

I'll just label myself illiterate and/or lacking in reading comprehension, then. 

As for righteous indignation, that's nonsense. I was just trying to be helpful. 

9 hours ago, InvaderStych said:

Interesting, that's not how I read the spirit of the thread.  Of course, I don't understand the impulse of trying to directly copy something given the plethora of ways we can adapt an inspiration into something of our own.  I also don't understand the impulse to "Price is Right" the rules on copyrighted characters either.  (aka, as close as one can without "technically" breaking the letter of the rule while clearly attempting to flip a bird to the spirit of the rule)

Let's take my entry as an example: Legion.

And well, technically, one could emulate a "super" who's powers are tied to DID or something similar (or whatever the current parlance for identity disorders happens to be) to really do it correctly would require access to GM/Developer commands for the Reality Manip aspects of the power-set.  Even if I thought I could get close I'd still go a completely different direction in terms of look and head-canon because I don't want a copy.

Personally, I never ask myself if I can make a Specific Character, but I definitely take inspiration from time to time and go from there.  I wanted something that played like a Firebender, and after discovering that there are actually ways to get get close in terms of powers I made a toon that looks nothing like one, has his own (unwritten) backstory with no connection to the show, its characters, or the world in which it took place.  The only similarities are throwing fire and kicking faces, which is really the only similarity I wanted in the first place.

I know that's not the sort of thing you're talking about, but I do think that was the spirit in which the question was posed by the OP.  It was certainly the spirit of my reply.

I agree with this take. I never read any comics besides neil gaimen’s sandman, and as such, have no comics to recreate even if I wanted to( I don’t). 

But I do have a lot of inspiration to pull from from other sources. And I tend to follow your same approach

• Like 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

36 minutes ago, Ukase said:

It isn't? 
Then I'm not at all clear what it is about. The shortcomings of the costume creator? As I said, glad you enjoy the CC. To me, despite it's numerous, probably billions of options, I lack the patience and the inclination to see how close I can get to a comic book character. To what end? Just to see? And then not be allowed to make it? 

I'll just label myself illiterate and/or lacking in reading comprehension, then. 

As for righteous indignation, that's nonsense. I was just trying to be helpful. 

You’re fine. They simply like to misread and misinterpret is all

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

Someone you can't create for sure? Medusa.

But there are many that can be recreated in different creative ways. Invisible Woman comes to mind, some would say she is a energy blast/force field defender, but she can also be a kinetic melee/energy stalker. I've seen that in game and it was truly loyal to her concept.

Love this game for that, you can create the same character with different concepts and powersets combinations.

8 hours ago, Ukase said:
14 hours ago, ForeverLaxx said:

Which isn't what the thread is about...

It isn't? 
Then I'm not at all clear what it is about. The shortcomings of the costume creator?

I didn't really spell it out in the first post, but I was really wondering about what powers and powersets exist in comics that we can't closely approximate in the game right now. I gave the example of Beast Boys' shapechanging ability, not his costume. It was meant to be a light topic, potentially (if I dared to dream) somewhat of a list of other powers that could be developed for the game.

But, of course, my true intent was to sew discontent and inspire bickering, so yay me.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Marshal_General said:

Kitty was 'trained' in ninjitsu by Ogun and I think she knows other martial arts.

This.

Also, it's impossible to mimic in game her ability to partially phase another person, say their leg, into the ground and then let go. You do NOT want to mess around with Dark Shadowcat.

1 hour ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

This.

Also, it's impossible to mimic in game her ability to partially phase another person, say their leg, into the ground and then let go. You do NOT want to mess around with Dark Shadowcat.

She kicked Wolverine's butt and stuck a sword in his heart which would have killed him if he could actually die.

• Game Master

Fun thread, but just a reminder to newer players. Any copies of characters name/bio/ costume will at some point come to our attention and with a wave of our super cosmic powers you'll find yourself naked, nameless and with no memory of who you are 😛 

But I agree, most named characters are not easily copied. Power creep in comics is massive and annoying. Superman started with laser eyes, super strength and super jump. Mutants in the X-Men comics had one basic ability which they used in interesting ways, but suddenly secondary mutation became a thing, everyone became an Omega level mutant, and the only thing that stopped them taking over the world and enslaving humanity was "reasons". 

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, GM Crumpet said:

Power creep in comics is massive and annoying. Superman started with laser eyes, super strength and super jump.

And then developed super baking, super telepathy, super ventriloquism, super knitting...  Thank whomever for Crisis on Infinite Earths.  I shudder to think of how bland Superman stories would be if he could knit his way out of every predicament.

• Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

And then developed super baking, super telepathy, super ventriloquism, super knitting...  Thank whomever for Crisis on Infinite Earths.  I shudder to think of how bland Superman stories would be if he could knit his way out of every predicament.

And whatever this was...

TXXYx3.gif

• Haha 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

On 3/8/2022 at 2:11 PM, Oklahoman said:

And whatever this was...

TXXYx3.gif

Uhh super…bag?

• 1 year later