Bad Build Decisions You're Willing to Admit To

oedipus_tex

3 hours ago, Troo said:

I won't use fire or ice swords.. yuck (numbers be damned)

Stone hammers.. different story (i dunno why)

I've been working on ice builds that don't use ice swords.  A little light on damage, but doable.  I also have some sweet stone melee builds without hammers (until I just discovered there is a hammer free hammer animation available).  Fire melee is a lost cause.  Jury is out on Psionic Melee.

• Thumbs Up 1

Who run Bartertown?

On 3/4/2022 at 3:51 AM, AerialAssault said:

In the modern day my biggest build sin is slotting 4 Run Speed increases into Speed Boost on my Kinetics Defender. I apologise for nothing.

Dante didn’t delve deep enough in hell to see where speed enhancing speed boosters go upon defeat. 

Edited by Saikochoro
  • Haha 1

I do not have any bad build decisions... that I will admit to, anyway.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I got totally sassed for it on a team (where I wasn't even using it, they were just peeping on my info) for having the rocket launcher on my archery blaster but that thing is FUN when sneaking up on Hellions.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am @Chrono-Bot! SGs: Girls Gone Rogue Isles, The Helping Hands, The Orange Bagels, Paragon's Perfectly Normal Heroes. Server: Everlasting! See my characters, now with photos, below!

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/33049-chrono-bots-characters/

I'm not NOT here to make friends.

So another one I should mention.  I have a Fire Tanker that doesn't have Burn.  Yeah, it's a big chunk of lost damage sure but it's not that easy to use when you're also built to stay in flight.

For the same reason on another character, I have a Titan Weapon user that skipped Arc of Destruction.  Turns out you can't use AoD in flight at all.

Edited by ZorkNemesis

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

20 hours ago, Chrono-Bot said:

I got totally sassed for it on a team (where I wasn't even using it, they were just peeping on my info) for having the rocket launcher on my archery blaster but that thing is FUN when sneaking up on Hellions.

I have that on a blaster too.  😃

I think there's a distinction to be made between "bad build decisions" and "bad build decisions you maybe because damn it you wanted to."  I've taken and slotted Jump Kick on my current tanker, and took Group Fly on my recent Bots MM because damn it I wanted to.  When else will I ever do that?  Might as well be now.  I don't need to squeeze an extra .5 of a DMG or End Rec out of everyone, but I can squeeze out some extra fun.

• Like 4

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

10 hours ago, ZorkNemesis said:

Turns out you can't use AoD in flight at all.

I re-designed a scrapper into Hover/Flight/EvM well into Vet levels as a ground-pounder.

After building up Mighty Judgement to T3.

Target in Air!

Target in Air!

Target in Air!

Target in Air!

Target in Air!

Target in Air!

... well, Pyro it is then.

🤣

Edited by InvaderStych
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

On 3/4/2022 at 2:39 AM, Placta said:

My first character I made the mistake of not putting more than one enhancement of a given type into a power,

Heh, this was me back in 2004. I think it was months before someone said "how many recharge SOs do you have in that?" I was like "how many? well 1 of course!"...

• Haha 1

Well I have built and played to 50 a Stamina free AR/Dev/Munitions blaster who took and used LRM Rocket while running Maneuvers, Assault and Tactics.   They didn't take or use Ageless either.  Talk about endurance issues.  But like a few of the above it was a deliberate choice not an accident.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 5:34 PM, Troo said:

I won't use fire or ice swords.. yuck (numbers be damned)

No, this is the correct decision. Even the most repellent criminal scum deserve better than fire or ice swords.

Mine... I will almost always go out of my way to put Recall Friend (or whatever it is now) into my builds. I just like it. It's nice. Helps lowbies get around. Sustain is overrated, anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

17 hours ago, MagicalAct said:

I don't take Frostbite on Ice Doms. I feel like enemies running from Arctic Air continually is more mitigation then arctic and holding them in place. Ice controllers, I'll take it for setting up containment solo.

I do take Frostbite on Ice Doms, but yeah I don't cast it much. Usually it gets one Accuracy enhancement and that's all. It casts too slowly to be useful as an attack, and you're right that most of the time it's more effective to let enemies run around aimlessly in Arctic Air.

A Bad Build Decision within a Bad Build Decision:

I like building for Positional Defense more than Typed if I have to start from scratch (the first Bad: building for S/L/E seems to be more popular) . I further compound it by not building one of the positions to the soft-cap, but I admit to running a base-form-only Peacebringer with 32.5% M/R/AoE Defense and I enjoy the bejeezus out of him. If I need to truly crank his survivability, a Luck gets him to 45% and a Good Luck gets him to 57.5%, just short of the Incarnate Soft-Cap.

Mostly on Torchbearer, but if you ever see me on, feel free to say hello!

Astral.Kai - Peacebringer; Dark.Enforcer - Dark/Shield Scrapper; Spark.Enforcer - Electrical/Shield Scrapper; Shadow.Reign - Dark/Regen Brute;

Glitter - Warshade;

And others to be added as I get them up to snuff, lol!

On 3/18/2022 at 1:20 AM, archgemini24 said:

A Bad Build Decision within a Bad Build Decision:

I like building for Positional Defense more than Typed if I have to start from scratch (the first Bad: building for S/L/E seems to be more popular) . I further compound it by not building one of the positions to the soft-cap, but I admit to running a base-form-only Peacebringer with 32.5% M/R/AoE Defense and I enjoy the bejeezus out of him. If I need to truly crank his survivability, a Luck gets him to 45% and a Good Luck gets him to 57.5%, just short of the Incarnate Soft-Cap.

Is it really that bad though? Maybe more....generalist. Building for positional defense means way less holes that can be exploited; you can play missions, PUG around, and do whatever with the expectation that you'll have decent mitigation regardless of what you end up having to fight.

S/L/E is a minmax 'all or nothing' setup that, while superior for battleships, can leave a hero needing to politely change back into their secret identity and pretend they're just drinking coffee on the way to work when they see that the guys robbing the bank are all psychic.

It's a different choice for a different goal, rather than a 'bad decision'.

Edited by SaintD
  • Like 1

The idiot formerly known as Lord Khorak

During live I had a hero named iFlail. Only attacks he used were Shadow Maul, Flurry and Sands of Mu. They had the same long animation of arms swinging. I leveled him doing that, did TFs, incarnate trials. Nobody really noticed my trash power choices until I took him to into RV. iFlail was a Stalker and I did take AS... as a mule for set bonuses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/5/2022 at 3:49 PM, Yomo Kimyata said:

I've been working on ice builds that don't use ice swords.  A little light on damage, but doable.  I also have some sweet stone melee builds without hammers (until I just discovered there is a hammer free hammer animation available).  Fire melee is a lost cause.  Jury is out on Psionic Melee.

@Yomo Kimyata, A hammer free hammer animation? I would like to learn more of your religion and subscribe to your newsletter!

on live?

merc/poison pre-poison buff.  ended up getting deleted

ninja/ta.  i raged so hard at a lit oil slick causing my pets fear i deleted it.  from what I hear this has been fixed but im still not doing it again

on HC?

ice/cold corr, after finding out power boost does not work on ice shields due to ice shields having a resistance component

spines stalker, the poison dots cancel placate/ato1 proc

On 3/19/2022 at 11:11 PM, SaintD said:

Is it really that bad though? Maybe more....generalist. Building for positional defense means way less holes that can be exploited; you can play missions, PUG around, and do whatever with the expectation that you'll have decent mitigation regardless of what you end up having to fight.

S/L/E is a minmax 'all or nothing' setup that, while superior for battleships, can leave a hero needing to politely change back into their secret identity and pretend they're just drinking coffee on the way to work when they see that the guys robbing the bank are all psychic.

It's a different choice for a different goal, rather than a 'bad decision'.

That was my thinking when I put the build together. When given the choice (and by choice I mean there are no powers in-set that encourage a build direction), I like to go with Positional Defenses over Typed. My other thought was to go 45% Melee and just keep everything close, but the build gives up that dream to slot a bunch of Sudden Accelerations. Keeping everything together for AoE damage and getting mitigation through chain-flopping has managed to make up for it, though.

Mostly on Torchbearer, but if you ever see me on, feel free to say hello!

Astral.Kai - Peacebringer; Dark.Enforcer - Dark/Shield Scrapper; Spark.Enforcer - Electrical/Shield Scrapper; Shadow.Reign - Dark/Regen Brute;

Glitter - Warshade;

And others to be added as I get them up to snuff, lol!

None. I am perfect. 

Ser4iously.

• Haha 1

Find me on Everlasting or Indom as:
Marbing (Psi/Rad Corruptor), Fortunata Moon (Fortunata Widow), Dynanight (Fire/DM Tank), Timesync (Elec/Time Corruptor), Static Sparrow (Elec/TA Controller), Cryo Punk (Ice/Cold Controller), Chamelea (SJ/Bio Stalker)Sword Fist (Claws/SR Scrapper), Mangusuu (DP/Nin Blaster), Blink Shot (Beam/Martial Blaster), Ratchet Dog (Beam/Traps Corruptor), Phonoalgia (Pain/Sonic Defender), Powered (FF/Energy Defender), Nullpunkt (Rad/Kin Corruptor), Black Fate (Fire/Therm Corruptor), Mirror Mage (Ill/Dark Controller),Gravoc (Gravity/Energy Dominator), Mind Pyre (Fire/Psi Dominator), Nettlethorn (Plant/Thorn Dominator), Boggle Blade (Psi/Invuln Stalker), Kelvin White (Ice/Regen Stalker), Dead Haze (Katana/DA Scrapper), Echo Boom (Sonic/EM Blaster), Ceyko (Archery/Time Blaster), Sleep Doctor (Mind/Poison Controller)Nachteule (DP/Dark Corruptor)Fulgrax (Axe/Elec Armor Scrapper)Void Knife (DB/Ice Stalker)Tryptophan Zombie (Mind/Kin Controller)Indo Manata (WP/Staff Tank), Masuku (Claws/WP Stalker)Blackbright (Rad/Energy Sentinel), Bedlam Bane (Sonic/Poison Corruptor), Helena Black (Necro/EA Mastermind), Boom Ranger (Sonic/TA Corruptor), Grave Sentinel (FF/Dark Defender), Dead-Life (DM/Regen Brute), Red Gloom (Dark/Pain Corruptor), Marble Marbina (Thugs/FF Mastermind)