Yet another, another Sentinel improvement thought...

Errants

34 minutes ago, biostem said:

If "Opportunity" affected all the sentinel's primary powers in some way, like scrapper crits or tankers taunt effect, I think it would better define the AT.  It'd be cool, IMO, if a Sentinel "tagging" an enemy with their attacks had some benefit to the rest of the team..

...besides the 5%/20% resistance debuff?

Just now, aethereal said:

...besides the 5%/20% resistance debuff?

Isn't that just the first 2 powers, though?  I mean, it's not insignificant, but it kinda means you have to take each and every enemy to get the effect, and only using your 1st 2 attacks...

Just now, biostem said:

Isn't that just the first 2 powers, though?  I mean, it's not insignificant, but it kinda means you have to take each and every enemy to get the effect, and only using your 1st 2 attacks...

The 5% is everything, the 20% is activating opportunity, so...  I mean, it's the first two powers.  If they created a different way to activate opportunity (dedicated click, any ST damaging power in your primary), I assume it would migrate to that mode.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/12/2022 at 3:31 PM, Errants said:

1) Opportunity grants BOTH the Offensive and Defensive options.
2) Have Opportunity be triggered by EITHER of the T1 or T2 blasts.
3) Opportunity's bar depletes on activation, allowing you to build it WHILE under Opportunity.

What if we divorced the buff and the debuff portions here? So that when you fill the bar, you *automatically* get both offensive and defensive options and the bar empties? You could move the debuff portion to it's own clicky that only functions while you have the Opportunity buff and gives the big targeting reticle and resistance debuff.

alternatively, instead of having the clicky, you could just bake it into the Opportunity buff, where the resistance debuff that sentinels normally employ gets bigger while Opportunity is up.

Tanking is only half the battle. The other half...

19 hours ago, biostem said:

If "Opportunity" affected all the sentinel's primary powers in some way, like scrapper crits or tankers taunt effect, I think it would better define the AT.  It'd be cool, IMO, if a Sentinel "tagging" an enemy with their attacks had some benefit to the rest of the team..

I mean, the team gets the advantage of the -Res and -Def (-5% Res, -3.75% Def for attacks, -20% Res for Opportunity tag)... So, there's that...

The personal aspect of opportunity, +Dam &/or Heal might be OP if shared. Give it a  balance run, but it could work...

• Thumbs Up 1

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

19 hours ago, biostem said:

the 5% -Res and 3.75% -Def are a non stacking effect from All Sentinel attacks, including the Primary target of AoEs and Cones.

You do NOT need to take every attack, nor both t1 and t2.

Edited by Wavicle
  • Thumbs Up 1

The more I play my Sentinels, the more I wish the inherent was more like the passive effect of other ATs.

How about just a passive %chance to proc opportunity on any single target power.

When procced, the target gets a 20% res debuff for 30 secs and you get a 5% heal.

Testing would need to be done for balance on how often the procs occur, but really simple effect.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Alaric2019 said:

How about just a passive %chance to proc opportunity on any single target power.

When procced, the target gets a 20% res debuff for 30 secs and you get a 5% heal.

Hard no on this. I much prefer being able to select the foe that gets the -20%. I don't want it wasted on a minion.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Uun said:

Hard no on this. I much prefer being able to select the foe that gets the -20%. I don't want it wasted on a minion.

Other than an EB or AV, the -Resist wouldn't be that much help anyways.  Maybe bosses, but even then, they at least fall in line with the EB and AV in requiring more shots, so going to get that -Resist anyways (especially the EB and AV).

On 3/20/2022 at 2:33 PM, Uun said:

Scrappers don't get to pick which enemy gets the bonus damage, but I don't hear complaints about Critical, /shrug

1 hour ago, Menelruin said:

Scrappers don't get to pick which enemy gets the bonus damage, but I don't hear complaints about Critical, /shrug

Or additional rebuttal, you can just make the ATO give some sort of opportunity control mechanic to replace the old opportunity mechanic.

9 hours ago, Menelruin said:

That's true, we don't see scrappers screaming when they work to fill the Crit Bar, activate Crits by switching to starter attacks, spend their Crits on a single target (which they may not have wanted to spend it on), and then are locked out of Crits until they refill the Crit Bar.

I wonder why...

• Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

On 3/21/2022 at 12:37 AM, Alaric2019 said:

The more I play my Sentinels, the more I wish the inherent was more like the passive effect of other ATs.

Testing would need to be done for balance on how often the procs occur, but really simple effect.

16 hours ago, Menelruin said:

5 hours ago, Luminara said:

That's true, we don't see scrappers screaming when they work to fill the Crit Bar, activate Crits by switching to starter attacks, spend their Crits on a single target (which they may not have wanted to spend it on), and then are locked out of Crits until they refill the Crit Bar.

I wonder why...

Just taking the discussion one step back. The proposal being directly addressed was making the -20% proc similar to a Scrapper Crit. That is why Menelruin's comment was pertinent.

On 3/21/2022 at 12:37 AM, Alaric2019 said:

This got me thinking...

Currently, -5 Res -3.75 Def for a hit (unstackable from the same source), -20 Res for Opportunity...

Why not adjust the inherent portion of the mechanic:
ST attacks = -5 Res -3.75 Def for 30s
AoE attacks = -2.5 Res -1.875 Def for 30s
This can now stack for up to -30 Res -15 Def. Cap affects all of this type of stack from any Sentinel. Simple, no chance, no waste.
In addition, add a +Heal and +End percent for each attach which is not extreme but provides some improved sustainability. Marked targets provide a quarter of the same effect to all teammates.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Zepp said:

This got me thinking...

Currently, -5 Res -3.75 Def for a hit (unstackable from the same source), -20 Res for Opportunity...

Why not adjust the inherent portion of the mechanic:
ST attacks = -5 Res -3.75 Def for 30s
AoE attacks = -2.5 Res -1.875 Def for 30s
This can now stack for up to -30 Res -15 Def. Cap affects all of this type of stack from any Sentinel. Simple, no chance, no waste.
In addition, add a +Heal and +End percent for each attach which is not extreme but provides some improved sustainability. Marked targets provide a quarter of the same effect to all teammates.

I like the way you think!

Although I don't see it as game breaking if all primary attacks had -5 Res and -3.75 Def.

By capping these debuffs from all sentinel sources you avoid stepping on the toes of the support sets but still justifying the group benefit of a Sentinel.

I just want to contribute to a group without people thinking that a Blaster, Scrapper or Corruptor would be a better choice.

Reminds me too much of my EQ1 days playing a Ranger main. Pity invite 😕

Edited by Alaric2019

On 3/21/2022 at 4:40 PM, Menelruin said:

Well, a Scrapper's critical chance does scale with the enemy's rank: They are more likely to crit against a boss than a minion. At one point, scrappers did complain about how crits would get "wasted" on minions.

20 hours ago, Major_Decoy said:

Well, a Scrapper's critical chance does scale with the enemy's rank: They are more likely to crit against a boss than a minion. At one point, scrappers did complain about how crits would get "wasted" on minions.

I did not know that!  I thought it was roughly a 10% chance all the time.

10 hours ago, Menelruin said:

I did not know that!  I thought it was roughly a 10% chance all the time.

5% chance base for minions and below, 10% chance base for lieutenants and above.

Note, though, that stalkers are just 10% for everyone.  Obviously, having a 10% chance for critting against minions does not "waste" anything -- you're no more or less likely to crit that boss having critted the minion you just attacked.

Edited by aethereal
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2022 at 9:31 PM, Errants said:

1) Opportunity grants BOTH the Offensive and Defensive options.
2) Have Opportunity be triggered by EITHER of the T1 or T2 blasts.

Already suggested by me and many others.

On 3/12/2022 at 9:31 PM, Errants said:

3) Opportunity's bar depletes on activation, allowing you to build it WHILE under Opportunity.

This is new and I like it.

• 4 weeks later

A thought.  Why not treat Opportunity like Critical Strike?  Instead of putting reliance on the first two attacks (always a terrible idea), why not have a percentage chance for Opportunity to happen with every attack and make it both -Resist/Heal, instead of double damage, like Critical Strike?

Seems simple and straight forward and it the ATO Proc can just increase the chance for Opportunity to happen.

• Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, BrandX said:

A thought.  Why not treat Opportunity like Critical Strike?  Instead of putting reliance on the first two attacks (always a terrible idea), why not have a percentage chance for Opportunity to happen with every attack and make it both -Resist/Heal, instead of double damage, like Critical Strike?

Seems simple and straight forward and it the ATO Proc can just increase the chance for Opportunity to happen.

What would you do with the Offensive Opportunity and Defensive Opportunity self buffs?

3 hours ago, Uun said:

What would you do with the Offensive Opportunity and Defensive Opportunity self buffs?

As it was stated.  Offensive Opportunity is just -Resist on a target.  Defensive Opportunity is just a +Heal when you attack the target.  So, now, you would do -Resist to a target and get a +Heal every time you land a critical hit (just not added damage).

38 minutes ago, BrandX said:

As it was stated.  Offensive Opportunity is just -Resist on a target.  Defensive Opportunity is just a +Heal when you attack the target.  So, now, you would do -Resist to a target and get a +Heal every time you land a critical hit (just not added damage).

Currently, they are separate buffs in addition to the 20% -res on the target. If you trigger Vulnerability with your T1, Offensive Opportunity provides all your attacks with a +dmg proc for 15 seconds. If you trigger Vulnerability with your T2, Defensive Opportunity gives all your attacks a self heal and endurance recovery for 15 seconds. The endurance buff is probably the most valuable.

54 minutes ago, Uun said:

Currently, they are separate buffs in addition to the 20% -res on the target. If you trigger Vulnerability with your T1, Offensive Opportunity provides all your attacks with a +dmg proc for 15 seconds. If you trigger Vulnerability with your T2, Defensive Opportunity gives all your attacks a self heal and endurance recovery for 15 seconds. The endurance buff is probably the most valuable.

Could still just as easily roll that all into what happens on a Critical.  Figure out the average and put that as the effect when hitting a critical for Opportunity.